NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Ok that excitement I said I didn't particularly have may be starting to emerge nonetheless.

Ok that excitement I said I didn't particularly have may be starting to emerge nonetheless.

3E5VVz.gif

Isn't that same day as MK Deluxe? Expensive day 2 new games and Joycons.

That's the date for the Japanese release of MK8dx. Amazingly enough, we actually don't have a release date for the US/EU versions yet (though I'd take a red shell up the backside if it wasn't within the same week over here).

That's the date for the Japanese release of MK8dx. Amazingly enough, we actually don't have a release date for the US/EU versions yet (though I'd take a red shell up the backside if it wasn't within the same week over here).

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-switch-game/mario-kart-8-deluxe/11396106.html?widget_id=504971#sLJ3lGDAk1XcpHya.97

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Mario-Kart-8-Deluxe-1173281.html

Release date: 28/04/2017

Is @RedShell OK with that....? :blank:

Apparently the press embargo for the Switch is up on the 23rd, maybe @Ashley can confirm.

Edit: Previews up on the 23rd, Reviews up on the 1st

Zelda though is up on the 2nd sadly. Then again, less chance for spoilers.

Edited by Ronnie

Apparently the press embargo for the Switch is up on the 23rd, maybe @Ashley can confirm.

Looks like relying on previews for info while Nintendo stay silent. Where there fcuk is this direct already.

Looks like relying on previews for info while Nintendo stay silent. Where there fcuk is this direct already.

There won't be a direct. I have now accepted this.

The 2nd is a tight embargo for a game out on the 3rd. It might be terrible. ;)

Not terrible but there is always the chance it's just great/very good rather than mind blowing, which would be bad for Nintendo since they're mostly selling the Switch on this game alone at launch. If the other titles weren't launch games I can't imagine most here would be picking them up.

The first review of Zelda is out :P from the place that shared the embargo details

[TWEET]833742069659291648[/TWEET]

That is very, very tight. So tight you couldn't cancel your pre-order tight.

Uh oh, brace for disappointment.

Nintendo embargoes are always tight. I really doubt they thought to themselves "Uh oh, Zelda isn't looking so good, let's make it late so people can't cancel"

And if they were at all worried that its going to have a negative reception they wouldn't give press any chance to play the game before it launches. With 10 days to play through the game before the embargo lifts, no reviewers are going to be feel rushed.

Not terrible but there is always the chance it's just great/very good rather than mind blowing, which would be bad for Nintendo since they're mostly selling the Switch on this game alone at launch. If the other titles weren't launch games I can't imagine most here would be picking them up.

Uh oh, brace for disappointment.

In all seriousness, I don't think it'll be bad, but that's a good point from DazzeL about how you wouldn't be able to cancel your pre-order. It may not be system-selling worthy. Still, I feel I have to find out...

It's worth nothing that Skyward Sword reviews were out 7 days before release. I seem to remember a similar situation with older Zeldas, although it's hard to check now.

And if they were at all worried that its going to have a negative reception they wouldn't give press any chance to play the game before it launches.

Yes. When a game is actually terrible, the embargo is always release day or afterwards. It is curious though.

I can't imagine anything less curious... I don't understand the kind of person to buy a switch and Zelda purely on the proviso that Zelda is utterly perfect and if not cancel... I also don't understand the worry about the late embargo, all the reviews are 1st, this is 2nd, are all the games terrible? Or, is the Switch just happening at an infinitely more condensed time than we're used to in general? To presume it means bad news doesn't make any sense to me.

I can't imagine anything less curious... I don't understand the kind of person to buy a switch and Zelda purely on the proviso that Zelda is utterly perfect and if not cancel... I also don't understand the worry about the late embargo, all the reviews are 1st, this is 2nd, are all the games terrible? Or, is the Switch just happening at an infinitely more condensed time than we're used to in general? To presume it means bad news doesn't make any sense to me.

Sometimes when a publisher knows a game isn't as good as it could be they send out games either as late as possible or have late embargoes to avoid the chance of losing out on preorder money.

It's less of a certainty these days though. Some companies have started to make it a policy to send out games really close or actually on release. They'll break that for Youtubers though sometimes. It's not a great new practice. I'll always trust an actual games journalist over most Youtubers.

Because people can just buy it later if it's not truly amazing. A lot of launch purchases are based on not very much anyway.

Looks like it's time to start avoiding Youtube's suggested videos in case of Zelda spoilers.

Just saw an advert for 1 - 2 Switch on TV.

Because people can just buy it later if it's not truly amazing. A lot of launch purchases are based on not very much anyway.

I guess so. But I just can't imagine there being many people whose purchase of the console is based purely on it being utterly incredible. Don't think that person would preorder and spend do much money on a device not knowing it's that good, but demanding it is or else they won't get it. Just can't see that scenario.