NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Ipso facto they are tied to devices, not accounts. It's all well and good saying it's been linked to accounts for years, but if that account is linked to a device it means diddly squat.

Not really, since accounts are across two different devices.

If you delete your account, you lose all your content on both devices.

I really don't agree with this. As an Xbox One user more than any other gaming platform, if the Switch UI and features came even slightly close then I can guarantee everyone in here would be delighted.

It's not particularly sluggish for me, even on an old original X1, and I don't find it convulated at all. It certainly is packed with features though and in no way does simplicity or speed justify no friends lists, achievements etc.

We might be surprised yet but there's simplicity because of clever design and then there's simplicity because of it being very basic. Hopefully the former!

If you enjoy it great, but if the switch was similar I know not everyone would be delighted. Specifically myself.

Out of curiosity though have you used a PS4 at length?

If you enjoy it great, but if the switch was similar I know not everyone would be delighted. Specifically myself.

Out of curiosity though have you used a PS4 at length?

Well, that's fair enough. My main point is that the Switch looks simple and smooth because it's sparse. Xbox is quite busy but it's jam packed with features and content.

I have used the PS4 a fair bit - it's ok but again there's just far less there which helps to keep it simpler. That said, more features than I'm anticipating will be part of the Switch UI.

The PS4 is probably the worst I've used, so if the Xbox One is even worse and more "features" than that then I can only imagine the horror...

I have both. I was always in Xbox camp for UI and then Microsoft have done a sterling job in destroying every little good thing about the dashboard since it launched. Just removing features that were a click away on the dash board and tucking them away into a sub menu somewhere. Friend Achievement leaderboard I'm looking at you.

My S has also been sluggish, problematic since I've had it. Games don't play with sound after waking from sleep and if they do they freeze and stutter so I have to quit out and start again.

A soft reset has fixed some of the problems but it still takes an age to sign me in when I turn the console on. Something that's never been a problem before.

The PS4 has a lightning fast UI and things make sense, they're where they should be. I could do without the library and playroom stuff across the top, but when you play your games it pushes them down the list.

Switch might look barebones at the minute, but it may add more as time goes by. The PS4 and One both launched with missing features the 360 and PS3 had for years I believe, so they could build on it like they have. And hopefully not destroy it like Microsoft clearly are trying to do.

All of this talk of UI makes me miss the days of just slotting a cartridge into a console, turning it on and playing instantly :heh:

The Switch looks nice, clean and simple so I have no complaints there :smile:

It may be simple, but...

It will have themes.

It will have Pokémon themes

I have already spent an obscene amount of money on Pokémon themes on 3DS (http://www.serebii.net/games/themes.shtml All except bundled are my own screenshots)

It will have special edition Joy Cons rather than Special Edition Consoles.

I am so screwed ;;

All of this talk of UI makes me miss the days of just slotting a cartridge into a console, turning it on and playing instantly :heh:

The Switch looks nice, clean and simple so I have no complaints there :smile:

Here, here.

The 'UI' back in the day was "SEGA!" - Press Start - And BAM! Green Hill Zone.

No bs.

@killthenet Thats absolutely brilliant, its almost at a 'no-brainer' point to port or create games for the Switch if thats the case. Capcom though, have they ever giving a reason as to why they didn't port RE7?

Finally, Capcom is looking into having the Resident Evil engine be capable for Nintendo Switch. The company also wants to develop AAA titles for Switch

Maybe it's coming?

Given how good it looks on the other consoles/PC it makes you wonder if they'd be able to without a significant downgrade.

Given how good it looks on the other consoles/PC it makes you wonder if they'd be able to without a significant downgrade.

There would be a downgrade. The specs dictate that but if they could nail the performance I would take the downgrade for handheld gaming.

There would be a downgrade. The specs dictate that but if they could nail the performance I would take the downgrade for handheld gaming.

I think you just have to hope any games that do get ported over don't just become the obvious lesser versions. That won't always be a graphical thing either. It could be like a Shadow of Mordor, a great game on current gen but the PS3/360 versions removed the Nemesis System, the thing which really made that game stand out.

Well, I'm clearly out numbered on the Xbox UI on here as I think it's great. To be fair, consensus generally has been MS have improved it consistently since launch with the monthly updates.

Moving on though - lesser ports are fine if it's just graphics. I don't see why developers leave out features, it makes absolutely no sense. Leaving FUT out of FIFA for example is madness when it's such a cash cow.

I really like the look of the sleek UI. As a graphic designer, one rule is usually correct: Less is more. This shines on the Switch :D.

Everything at home is ready for the new console. Pre-ordered a long time ago (caved in), 32GB SD-card is purchased, space is cleared for the Switch near the TV, and friday the 3rd is a paid vacation! :D.

LETS DO THIS, LESS THAN 2 WEEKS TO GO!

Yeah same, worse graphics absolutely fine; if you have to lose features don't bother!!!

The portability more than makes up for loss in graphics/performance.

I really like the look of the sleek UI. As a graphic designer, one rule is usually correct: Less is more. This shines on the Switch :D.

Everything at home is ready for the new console. Pre-ordered a long time ago (caved in), 32GB SD-card is purchased, space is cleared for the Switch near the TV, and friday the 3rd is a paid vacation! :D.

The most important thing in all design though is the marriage between form and function. Less is more doesn't work if loads of stuff is hidden away somewhere which makes the user experience more annoying.

I'd call it an exaggeration, and suggest that anyone who disliking aspects of it give the Xbox One UI a spin. Even on the S it's sluggish and prone to freezing/stuttering and menus are even more convoluted to me.

As long as the UI is functional I can't say I care much. But for me functionality includes running smoothly.

I've not used the XBone interfact much so can't really comment on that, but DazzeL does kinda sum up my thoughts;

We might be surprised yet but there's simplicity because of clever design and then there's simplicity because of it being very basic. Hopefully the former!

Being unintrusive and being light on features don't have to go hand in hand, I'd like a system with lots of options but that's still slick and easy to navigate. As said I'd prefer the Switch is simple by design rather than due to being basic on features!

Taken from a Gaf thread

Although Nintendo say they "haven't made any final decisions".

Transcript of question and answer:

Q: So I have a general Switch question - so I have kids and ideally I'm just gunna have one, but if I take my system with me, and my son or whatever wants to play - if I were to buy a digital game, would I have to buy it once, or would I have to buy it multiple times so they can use the games?

A: Currently, we don't have a system like that in place for Nintendo Switch. But we haven't made any final decisions on how we would approach that going forward in the future, so unfortunately I cannot provide a concrete answer.

The man asks about sharing digital games with his kids, and the answer is no.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT REDOWNLOADING YOUR OWN GAMES TO ANOTHER OF YOUR OWN SWITCHES

Time stamp is 16:08 ~

So what's the deal here? With the PS4 I have my own UK account and US account where my US account is primary.

My son has his PS4 and his account is my US account so every digital purchase from the US store can be played on my ps4 and my sons with only one purchase required.

Are Nintendo saying this isn't possible with the switch?

Are the saying sub accounts can't access digital games?

I really hope not as that would be quite ridiculous.

Edited by liger05

Alle sammen!

So what have people ordered then, those of you who have decided to purchase day one?

I've gone for:

Switch in Grey.

Zelda BOTW.

Pro Controller.

Toying with the idea of buying a Joy Con charge stand (charges 4), the neon Joy Con set, a zip case for the Switch on the go, tempered glass screen protector, and Bomberman, but I am not made of money and that will work out at one hell of a launch cost.

I could get by with just the console and Zelda but I want the Pro Controller so it's always there for gaming with the TV.

What about you lot then?

Are Nintendo saying this isn't possible with the switch?

Are the saying sub accounts can't access digital games?

I really hope not as that would be quite ridiculous.

from that quote, Nintendo are saying nothing.. I presume the spokesperson hadn't been told the answer to the question and very successfully said nothing with lots of words.

If I understand correctly, the system you would prefer them to have would mean that, say for instance you buy BotW digitally, and I buy splatoon 2 digitally... we share passwords, set each other up as sub accounts on our respective switchs and I could play your BotW and you could play my Splatoon 2?

So what have people ordered then, those of you who have decided to purchase day one?

I've gone for:

Switch in Grey.

Zelda BOTW.

Pro Controller.

The above too. I'll get a case and screen protector too and then Snipperclips whenever it's out. If Bomberman was half the price I'd get it, but not at that price.

- Neon Switch

- Grey joy-cons

- Charging grip

- Pro controller

- Case

- 200GB microSD

- Extra charger

- Zelda

- 1, 2 Switch (digital)

- Snake Pass, Binding of Isaac, Fast RMX, SnipperClips, Shovel Knight (that's March sorted)

Yeah my bank account is going to be a disaster...

So far just:

Neon Red/Blue Switch

LoZ: Bresth of the Wild

But undecided on which screen protector (glass one, or on free with the case)?

Also umming and ahhing about:

64GB micro card

Pro controller

Extra Joycons ( but as no games will need until Arms)?