NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That game is getting slaughtered over on Gaf and rightfully so. It's looks like cringeworthy, garbage. It's a fully priced retail game, as well. The Treehouse showing of it has been an awful watch.

Should have never been signed off.

Screams of Nintendo hoping to recapture the Wii Casual crowd. Doomed to fail!

We've seen a bit of the UI. It's a bit barebones right now.

C2EnBjmXUAA_uoJ.jpg

They showed loading Breath of the Wild from it though. Went to title screen in less than 10 seconds from pressing the button.

I imagine we'll see more, plus VC etc. in a Direct before launch

I like what we've seen so far. Big improvement over the inconsistent mess that was the Wii U one.

Are they not packing these games in because they want people to buy a couple of games with the system or something.

Find it baffling those party games are full price retail titles.

Is it cheaper to buy one 128/256gb card, or would it be cheaper to go with more smaller cards (max 64gb as I don't think that Switch games will be bigger than that)?

Well, based on UK Amazon prices:

• SanDisk 64GB Micro (80Mb/s) = £17.39; ~£0.27/GB

• SanDisk 128GB Micro (80Mb/s)= £45.34; ~£0.35/GB

• SanDisk 256GB Micro (95Mb/s) = £149.99; ~£0.59/GB

So, 64GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC is the best for value over here. You could probably tell at a quick glance, but I figured I might as well break down the rest anyway (for anyone who wants to compare to other brands).

Are they not packing these games in because they want people to buy a couple of games with the system or something.

Find it baffling those party games are full price retail titles.

Should have never been signed off.

Screams of Nintendo hoping to recapture the Wii Casual crowd. Doomed to fail!

I think it screams more of trying to keep the Wiimote/Motion department busy, and to keep that department relevant, in the event that VR does blow up before Nintendo's next console (whenever or whatever that may be), allowing them to hop onto that bandwagon, or perhaps even give it a jumpstart.

I think it screams more of trying to keep the Wiimote/Motion department busy, and to keep that department relevant, in the event that VR does blow up before Nintendo's next console (whenever or whatever that may be), allowing them to hop onto that bandwagon, or perhaps even give it a jumpstart.

The annoying thing is that these motion controllers are absolutely useless for VR because they have no relative positional data, that is to say they're not tracked externally. Which is a step back from the Wiimotes, which know their position based on the IR bar. So there's definitely no future in 'proper' VR for the Switch.

So, 64GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC is the best for value over here. You could probably tell at a quick glance, but I figured I might as well break down the rest anyway (for anyone who wants to compare to other brands).

Thanks a lot, that's great :).

Does anyone know how does the Switch work? Is it like mobile phones, where you have apps on your sd card, but some stuff is still on the internal memory?

It looks like the best way to go would be with 3-4 64GB cards if you want to go digital, as it is not to many cards as you will have a case for it anyway (the Switch needs it), or 2 64GB if you want to go physical (because of updates).

What happened to Lego City Undercover?

I thought it was coming to Switch, and I imagined it was going to be a launch title?

Glad I ordered my MicroSD the other day. 128GB was £35 then

What happened to Lego City Undercover?

I thought it was coming to Switch, and I imagined it was going to be a launch title?

No release date yet. Spring 2017 for all platforms

Is it cheaper to buy one 128/256gb card, or would it be cheaper to go with more smaller cards (max 64gb as I don't think that Switch games will be bigger than that)?

The 128GB card was £35 yesterday which makes it a bit cheaper than the price of 2x64GB cards at today's price. Chances are it'll drop again.

For reference, Zelda is 13.4GB.

Hmm, so one 128 could be enough, not bad.... I just have to hope that UK, Germany or Austria will have the cheapest prices for console and cards (or at least the best deals).

That game is getting slaughtered over on Gaf and rightfully so. It's looks like cringeworthy, garbage. It's a fully priced retail game, as well. The Treehouse showing of it has been an awful watch.

They should have just made a proper WarioWare, Touched! was a great showcase for the DS features.

I work part time at the weekend in CarPhoneWarehouse (as if working full time in the week isn't enough, damn house).

We sell Micro SD cards and I get them for absolute dirt cheap cost price with staff discount - but they're the SanDisk Ultra ones... they gonna be any good for it or is there a different kind that's recommended?

They're also 3 for 2 as they're an accessory, so might be worth me loading up on 128gb ones now! :D

I've just seen the advert for parental control. I really like that, the option via an app looks really great.

I've read about it on gaf. The charging one is different, you actually can get one for 2 sets.

The separate charging grip has a built-in battery so using it with that means charge lasts for longer but the grip that comes bundled with the console has a USB-C port too so you can still charge them through that.

The one you mentions that charges two sets is a charging dock rather than a grip, totally different product.

I've just seen the advert for parental control. I really like that, the option via an app looks really great.

I can't stress enough how strangely entertaining this video is. Bowser in Dad Mode really is the best Bowser.

Also, finally found a picture of this.

re2kUs8.png

It's bordering on Stalker-ish at this point.

Edited by Glen-i

No miiverse or street pass

Neither the Nintendo 3DS’s StreetPass feature or Nintendo’s social network Miiverse will appear on the company’s new Switch console. That’s what David Young, Nintendo of America’s assistant manager of public relations, told GamesBeat today at the Switch event in New York City.

“I can answer that we’re not going to be using Miiverse for Nintendo Switch,” Yong said when asked about the feature today.

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/13/nintendo-switch-wont-have-miiverse-or-streetpass/

Does anybody know/ able to translate what Japan's reaction to the Switch has been?

It just feels such a Japan orientated console, hopefully they have taken to it for Nintendo's sake!

I woke up a bit earlier than usual and checked out the reactions from this thread. It was quite funny reading the initial positive reactions until reality kicked in. Still, I thought I'd carry on with my day and go into the Switch Presentation with an open mind when @Eenuh and I watch it in the evening.

We've just finished watching it and...I'm completely fucking disappointed. I'm struggling to find a reason to own the thing and I don't think I actually like all that much about it.

The voice chat thing is hilarious. I don't get it. Why the app on the smart device? If we're going to do that, why not just skype instead? I don't see the point. The pricing for the system is a bit shit and I'm not convinced with how much long-term support the system will be getting.

I felt that the whole presentation was aimed entirely at Japan, as does the Switch itself. I get it, Nintendo are a Japanese company, etc. But, this is a global product. I found the whole thing difficult to watch, tbh.

As much as I enjoyed the Wii, I found it uncomfortable viewing to see just how much of a focus was being placed on motion controls. There was so much focus on "the past" with that little bit about past systems (fucking LOL at Gamecube handle, btw). I just didn't feel that Nintendo had learned from their mistakes and were finally moving forward. Even the design of the Switch itself isn't too dissimilar to that of the WiiU. The Joy-Cons (I hate saying that) are evolved Wiimotes. It sorta begs the question about whether Nintendo have truly left that Wii brand behind.

Needless to say, I won't be queuing up for one.

Why do the parental controls apply to the entire console rather than a child account? This better not mean the accounts system is going to be rubbish again.

Bloody hell.

Is the Wii U / Switch really that underpowered to have the 360/ps3 games ported over?

I thought the Wii U was fairly capable? (I have zero idea on this kind of tech though, so christ knows!)

What a kick in the teeth though for Fifa lovers.

I really wanted something to ignite my spark in the Switch to make me want to buy it as the hardware does still excite me with the portability.

But nope. :(

The Switch is weaker than PS4/X1. It is more straightforward to bring a PS3/360 port to the switch than to water down a PS4/X1 title. It also possibly means longer battery life on the go as well...