NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

is it me, or did the wii u have better 3rd party support at launch?!

Amazingly I think you are right.

Yeah, no surprise that the 2 million are most likely already pre-ordered. With such a low number I would've been surprised if they hadn't sold out.

Only good press they'll be getting today. ;)

They really need to have more positive info emerge over the weekend. Surely they must have picked up the groans online today. Many people (me included) have put down a pre-order and still want to know more. Is there a Miiverse? Where is Virtual Console? Where are 3rd parties? I need an App to chat? Please clarify..

And journalists need to be able to access Reggie/Shibata etc to ask the hard-hitting questions that consumers should have the right to ask.

The presentation was "very" Japanese so I can forgive the stances/Cosplay/safe EA/SEGA talk etc. but Kimishima's first conference hasn't got off to a good start as some of those intro movies to games took up way too much time and killed the buzz. That price is poor too. At least have it come with 5 free downloads of Legacy games at launch.

I feel an Ambassador Programme coming on and I'm tempted to cancel my order and wait until Mario hits at Christmas when retailers will be looking to shift stock for the festive period.

is it me, or did the wii u have better 3rd party support at launch?!

I think the fall release was a major factor in that as well. I was always worried about the March release. Seemed well placed.

I am absolutely ecstatic about it being region free.

I figure I will import all my games from Japan this time around to aid me in my Japanese studies.

I find Nintendo's strategy of taking a feature away and then adding it back later quite amusing.

People freaking out over a battle mode in Mario Kart, hahahahaha

Edit: and FUCK YEAH Travis Touchdown is coming home!

Edited by Fused King

Isn't there something funny about this communication app having a limited release in June. So you don't even get any sort of voice chat if you buy it in March, it's like everything is still in beta.

I've been in hospital since last night. A couple of hours ago I had a needle in my back extracting spinal fluid (finally got it at the third attempt) yet somehow this reveal was more painful.

I am very disappointed. Too expensive. Going back to motion controls (good god let it die). Seemingly crazy online stance. Poor and confusing messaging.

Zelda is tempting me (I sold my Wii U a couple of months ago) but I may hold off until the second half of 2017, my PS4 can keep me satisfied for a while!

Right then.

Presentation out of the way. Roll on the Treehouse Livestream in 25 minutes! :D

Edited by Julius Caesar

Right then.

Presentation out of the way. Role on the Treehouse Livestream in 25 minutes! :D

Anyone have a link handy for this?

I've been in hospital since last night. A couple of hours ago I had a needle in my back extracting spinal fluid (finally got it at the third attempt) yet somehow this reveal was more painful.
Shit, man... hope you're ok?... (clearly not.)

I'm just sat here thinking at just how baffling the price is.

It's a home console. It's not a portable - it's a home console you can unplug for a while. It's weaker than the PS4 and the Xbox One. Considerably so. It costs £100 more than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Yes it has tech that the others don't like a screen, and its one controller is basically two controllers.

It has a poor amount of storage.

Surely it shouldn't cost a whole £100 more than a PS4!?

I can't help but feel Nintendo have made a massive mistake here and this is just going to be another Wii U situation.

While watching the presentation I was feeling the hype, but all the little details since have disappointed me a lot.

I don't mind the price actually. I think it's a cool piece of tech - a reasonably powerful tablet that can run games for 4 hours and dock into your TV. I think that's worth around £300 (I just paid £260 for my phone) I just don't want any of those games.

I'm just sat here thinking at just how baffling the price is.

It's a home console. It's not a portable - it's a home console you can unplug for a while. It's weaker than the PS4 and the Xbox One. Considerably so. It costs £100 more than a PS4 or Xbox One.

Yes it has tech that the others don't like a screen, and its one controller is basically two controllers.

It has a poor amount of storage.

Surely it shouldn't cost a whole £100 more than a PS4!?

I can't help but feel Nintendo have made a massive mistake here and this is just going to be another Wii U situation.

While watching the presentation I was feeling the hype, but all the little details since have disappointed me a lot.

I think the biggest problem is that many are citing that the price is as high as it is because of it being innovative - the first of its kind in my memory - and having the pros (and cons) of being both a home and portable console. If the price is way high because of that (and to make profit), why then does it seem like they're double-dipping on that fact with the prices of the games? I mean, awesome, I can play Zelda at home or on the go (for three hours, give or take), but why are both console and game price both reflecting the "innovation" we've had presented to us.

Financially, it makes total sense. No exclusive home or portable console, so double the game price. But in terms of marketing, average game cost, etc? Not so much.

Thoughts:

- Everything is just too expensive. £280 for the console is possibly acceptable but the extortionate accessory costs make it less so. Games being £60 is just ridiculous. I'd rather they went the day one DLC, Season Pass but kept prices at 40-45, route of the competition.

- The launch line-up is terrible. Zelda is obviously the crown jewel and to get a likely GOTY contender at launch is fantastic but the lack of anything else is a huge blow.

- No pack in game is very disappointing. I adored NintendoLand, I'm hugely turned off by 1-2 Switch and Arms just looks boring.

- No new race tracks in MK8D? Jesus.

- Splatoon 2 is nice, I just hope there's a new single player

- The UI looks slick but the system itself feels very barebones. Aren't there any cool features? Where's the likes of Streetpass or Miiverse.

- Zelda looks incredible

- Mario does not. It looked so rough, I was relieved when it was 10-12 months away

- An early release date is nice, until you realise they're only planning on selling two million in one month

Very disappointed. It's a huge cost and judging from reaction a lot of people have become completely turned off by it. They need a huge E3 to hopefully turn around inevitably lacklustre sales.

Nintendo of America must be banging their head against a wall.

I am very disappointed. Too expensive. Going back to motion controls (good god let it die). Seemingly crazy online stance. Poor and confusing messaging.

Zelda is tempting me (I sold my Wii U a couple of months ago) but I may hold off until the second half of 2017, my PS4 can keep me satisfied for a while!

I saw the motion controlled stuff as well and wondered why. Everyone is doing VR now and good 'ol ninty are sticking to their guns with tech that's probably from the Wii

I saw the motion controlled stuff as well and wondered why. Everyone is doing VR now and good 'ol ninty are sticking to their guns with tech that's probably from the Wii

You do know VR uses motion control right? :p

I'm actually a bit worried because if Nintendo don't plan on releasing a handheld going forward, this machine is carrying them for the long haul. They need it to bring in income worth that of a home console and a handheld. I can't see it happening unless this thing takes off like the Wii, and I just don't think it has that appeal. Is there really demand for a hybrid? Really?

They need to sell a lot of units not just at launch but throughout Spring and Summer. The last thing they want are slowing sales going in to Christmas when the PS4 and XBO will be super cheap.

Posting my reactions from another forum below:

Seems like Nintendo have finally given fans something they've wanted for ages, voice acting in a Zelda game.

Other games with silent protagonists have shown that voice acting can be done in these types of games so it's great to see that what was hinted at back at E3 is actually the case, a fully voice acted Zelda game.

Some oddball concepts like ARMS and 1-2-Switch which I'm not too convinced on but a Splatoon sequel is nice to see even if it was inevitable. Super Mario Odyssey looks a bit weird but at the same time the 64/Sunshine structure making a return is nice to see. Xenoblade 2 looks interesting, but I wonder how this is going to be handled, the character cast looks different from the original games so this leads to some kind of speculation on my behalf, spoiler for Xenoblade's ending below

At the end of the original game the world is recreated back to it's original form as Earth, only with the people of the Bionis and the Mechonis on. Shulk also says in the ending that he intends to meet the people of this new world.

Either this is a sequel set in the distant future after Xenoblade's ending or this is an entirely new universe and done in a sequel style similar to Final Fantasy, same aesthetic but a new world entirely.

That said, paid online is not very good to hear. I would prefer a free service, but it does mean Nintendo have to get this system right if they want people to pay for this service, that way they can continue to improve it.

Aside from that though, the Switch looks cool.

Not sure it's been posted but here's the first image of the UI:

large.jpg

No icon for miiverse?

Just pre-ordered at ShopTo. By the sound of it I might have been too slow to get one for launch. Went for grey in the end, though was hard to choose. Getting it with Zelda and Pro controller. £415 - I'm fine with that, it's less than a new iPad.

Returned here to get hyped and a bit surprised by all the negativity. I'm trying to stay positive. One big plus is a global launch and no region locking. Lack of launch games isn't an issue for me, I'm more than content to just have 1-2 games to play until Mario Kart comes out.

At launch I was pretty down on the Wii U and dismissed it, but got it some time after launch and did quite enjoy it, more than I expected. Regretted not having it from day 1, despite it failing to fulfil its potential. It is easy to criticise and expect everything to be perfect but I'm just going to try and enjoy the experience this time.

I find it hard to feel much affinity for Microsoft or Sony, having bought both PS4 and Xbox One. With the promise of Fifa on Switch I'm hoping it will be possible to just go Nintendo-only for a while. There's very few third party games I'd get on the other consoles.

I'm actually a bit worried because if Nintendo don't plan on releasing a handheld going forward, this machine is carrying them for the long haul. They need it to bring in income worth that of a home console and a handheld. I can't see it happening unless this thing takes off like the Wii, and I just don't think it has that appeal. Is there really demand for a hybrid? Really?

They need to sell a lot of units not just at launch but throughout Spring and Summer. The last thing they want are slowing sales going in to Christmas when the PS4 and XBO will be super cheap.

Mario, smash and Pokemon will get them through 2017 I think.

I think the problem for me is there was so much to be excited about, like the region free, the hybrid, the portability, the fact that the name 'Wi' was nowhere to be seen but it just ended up being overshadowed for me by all of the uncertainty.

The price isn't as much of an issue as if there were games I wanted Day one, I would probably pay it and not worry. The fact that I'm not the biggest Zelda fan anyway (don't shoot!) and I could play it on Wii U if I wanted, leaves me with... nothing. Absolutely jack.

Even if MK was available it would soften the blow. But nope.

Is it correct that online isn't available in Europe right away or is that just the app for voice chat?

Let's just pray this isn't Nintendo TVii happening all over again...

Presentation was very japanese. Which is fine but they did mess up on the lineup. It felt like a retread of WiiU with more Wii and less focus by 3rd parties(more later?). The cost is also not great given that many of us like Nintendo for the couch multiplayer.

I still kind of want one so lets see. But its just for Nintendo's games. I missed out on the WiiU afterall.

I've got no sound as im at work but someone was just holding a 256gb micro sd card with the Switch on the stream.