NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Sucks about FIFA but it says a lot about how EA percieve Nintendo that we get last gen port with updated teams. Hopefully EA realise that such a title won't galavanize the lapsed Nintendo FIFA community and don't have high expectations for sales figures, I really can't see it selling well.

Why Nintendo are not calling this a handheld I have no idea?

Absolutely! As I say in the article someone needs a stern talking to about that.

It's all about perception; if we were talking about a handheld that playable the biggest Zelda game EVER we would be going nuts...instead it feel so like another underpowered home console lacking features for many.

The more I read the more convinced that this should have been a straight up handheld without all the bells and whistles.

What does that mean? Do those versions have UT?

They still have it but from what I can gather it's not as fleshed out as the PS4 or One versions. That goes for the whole game in general, with certain modes being cut in the 360/PS3 versions and graphically looking weaker, obviously.

It's probably best to not get too excited yet, especially as the EA guy said the game would be custom built for the Switch. To me this implies that it's gonna be a bare bones version that concentrates on local multiplayer stuff. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

£279.99 on official NUK Store

Thanks Brexit

Doubt this has anything really to do with Brexit, the UK hasn't even left. This is just an excuse for companies to blame whatever, whoever they want just to jack up the prices (like Apple did a few months back). Maybe people in America are blaming Trump for the price difference, I don't know.

From what I could find these are the prices right now.

US $299.99 works out to £246.18

UK £279.99

JPN ¥29,980 works out to £214.68

EU €281.97 works out to £246.01

but Australia gets the full boot in...with $469.95 which works out to £288.84.

There is no real excuse for this.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-13-at-7.05.23-pm.png

Edited by sumo73

Doubt this has anything really to do with Brexit, the UK hasn't even left yet. This is just an excuse for companies to blame whatever, whoever they want just to jack up the prices.

Just to point out:

US price doesn't include tax. UK price does. If you do a conversion and add VAT, the Switch should be £295.34.

Absolutely! As I say in the article someone needs a stern talking to about that.

It's all about perception; if we were talking about a handheld that playable the biggest Zelda game EVER we would be going nuts...instead it feel so like another underpowered home console lacking features for many.

Exactly. A powerful handheld which blows the 3DS out of water to me is a far more marketable device than a home console which is weaker than the competition.

Doubt this has anything really to do with Brexit, the UK hasn't even left yet. This is just an excuse for companies to blame whatever, whoever they want just to jack up the prices.

He's probably referring to how little the pound is worth these days. Rather than the actual exiting of the EU with the increased importing duties that we'll eventually have.

You have to remember to add 20% for VAT, which brings it to £294. So we're not being ripped off there.

UK £279.99

JPN 29,980 yen works out to £214.68

EU €281.97 works out to £246.01

but Australia gets the full boot in...with $469.95 which works out to £288.84.

There is no real excuse for this.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-13-at-7.05.23-pm.png

The pound is 100% in the shitter. No, we haven't left, but there have been massive economic shifts due to it, most notably in the value of the £

Before the referendum, $1 was equal to £0.68. Now, it's equal to £0.82. For Yen, £1 was equal to around 158 Yen prior to the referendum, now it's around 135 Yen

As such, when you're a company from outside the UK and are having to sell things in the UK, you will either have to eat a significant loss or alter your prices. We may not have left yet, but to say we haven't suffered effects from it is grossly erroneous

Also, don't forget that UK's price is with 20% tax while US's is without tax. Average tax in America is 14%, so US price would end up, for most, to be around $340 which, when converted is £280. Just for note, before the referendum if you had done the same conversion, it'd have been £230

Anyway, I hope you have fun tomorrow (I'm sure you will) @Serebii and Serebae because I hear you're going with your girlfriend ;)

I'm speechless...

Five games?... Who's buying Skyrim a year after the remake's release?... let alone 7 years or whatever since the original came out.

Steep, I Am Setsuna, Minecraft... how can you not have secured these for launch given their initial release. Street Fighter 2 HD, Bomberman, Tetris... dear god!!!!... these are titles that should be flying under the radar not headlining your calendar.

So much of what we saw or heard from Third Parties yesterday, were concepts, or simply dreams (as in the case of No More Heroes).

Nintendo have brought this console out FAR to early, and kept it secret for too long; external developers haven't even had time to make games for it.

It simply should not be coming out.

I have been thinking about this today and I agree with you. They ought to have released a revised Wii U 18 months ago and then properly supported it until the PS5/new xbox was released.

As such, when you're a company from outside the UK and are having to sell things in the UK, you will either have to eat a significant loss or alter your prices. We may not have left yet, but to say we haven't suffered effects from it is grossly erroneous

I agree with what you've said it's just a shame we are going into a 2 year+ situation where if things go wrong it's because of Brexit and if things go right it's because of Brexit. It's such a mess.

Sorry forgot the 20% tax in America. :(

Having said that I'm not sure if you have to add consumption tax (currently 8%) to the price in Japan. It would be easier if people just gave the final price as they have done with the UK price. Since the Switch is region free I guess some people might try to import it and hope they don't get stung by import duties.

Regardless of all this, I don't know how the Switch will work out price wise since you can pick up Xbox One and PS4 deals cheaper. The key for Nintendo is great marketing and advertising. Just hope they deliver this time.

Edited by sumo73

I have been thinking about this today and I agree with you. They ought to have released a revised Wii U 18 months ago and then properly supported it until the PS5/new xbox was released.

Wii u with no gamepad maybe but tbh there was no saving the wii u.

You can now preorder on the Nintendo UK Store. Also, Zelda comes with a t-shirt. I should think so given what they are charging for it.

Preordered.

Also got a 128gb micro sdcard from Amazon which arrived today.

Also got a 128gb micro sdcard from Amazon which arrived today.

Is it cheaper to buy one 128/256gb card, or would it be cheaper to go with more smaller cards (max 64gb as I don't think that Switch games will be bigger than that)?

This game has great tutorial videos!

ovGYedx.gif

It really should be a pack-in title though...

That game is getting slaughtered over on Gaf and rightfully so. It's looks like cringeworthy, garbage. It's a fully priced retail game, as well. The Treehouse showing of it has been an awful watch.

When are they going to show the OS and UI. Surely they will show this before release? Discuss account, VC, EShop etc?

Didn't the Nintendo Official Store botch up a hardware release? I can't remember what it was though...

That game is getting slaughtered over on Gaf and rightfully so. It's looks like cringeworthy, garbage. It's a fully priced retail game, as well. The Treehouse showing of it has been an awful watch.

People won't buy it. This was for a different time.

When are they going to show the OS and UI. Surely they will show this before release? Discuss account, VC, EShop etc?

We've seen a bit of the UI. It's a bit barebones right now.

C2EnBjmXUAA_uoJ.jpg

They showed loading Breath of the Wild from it though. Went to title screen in less than 10 seconds from pressing the button.

I imagine we'll see more, plus VC etc. in a Direct before launch

NOA said VC details will be discussed at a later date. No worries. It's not like the console is launching anytime soon or anything....