N-Europe

Alien (directed by Neill Blomkamp)

Cube

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/new-alien-movie-confirmed-at-fox-with-director-neill-blomkamp-1201436551/

20th Century Fox has closed a deal with director Neill Blomkamp to develop a new “Alien” movie, sources confirm.

The untitled sci-fi project is separate from “Prometheus 2,” which Fox is still making with Ridley Scott.

Blomkamp, who directed “District 9″ and the upcoming Sony feature “Chappie,” had been teasing the project in recent months but said the extra-terrestrial reboot was likely abandoned. It was supposed to star “Alien” veteran Sigourney Weaver.

But on Wednesday Blomkamp confirmed the tentpole was back on track at Fox.

“So I think this is officially my next film,” he confirmed on Instagram.

It’s unclear whether Weaver is still attached to the movie.

According to insiders, the new “Alien” takes place years after the “Prometheus” sequel. Scott is producing both films through his production company Scott Free.

“Prometheus,” also distributed by Fox, was “loosely based” on the “Alien” franchise and earned over $400 million worldwide. But the 3D movie opened to mixed reviews, and Fox hopes Blomkamp, who last directed “Elysium,” can take the franchise to the next level.

I'm so confused by all of this.

I saw that he was attached to this project some weeks ago, but that it wouldn't come into fruition. I thought it was a shame as the details and artwork all looked lovely and the series needs a boost.

Woke up this morning and saw this news on a Belgian news site that he was attached to it, again. I thought they were being slow as fuck and were reporting the information from weeks back.

Apparently not! So...it's happening? Not going to lie, I had to get Ine to hold me this morning as I was shivering with excitement, fear, nervousness, moar excitement and a lack of caffeine to take it all in.

District 9 was fucking awesome and it was a very interesting take on the whole Aliens-coming-to-Earth storyline. I can see this working. It actually makes sense. Whut? Still can't believe it.

I've checked about a million different websites trying to find out if this whole thing is a hoax or legit.

My only issue is it's apparently set after Prometheus 2 and before Alien.

For me the Alien franchise is very much Ripley's story. Sigourney has been playing coy, suggesting she is attached but not in what way or how much. But she's recently said she wants a proper end to the story and Ripley, one that fans will find satisfying and that it should be set in deep space, where the franchise belongs. And the themes of the films, feminism, rape and motherhood are all so especially tied to Ripley and her character's arc, a departure from that would feel odd, to me.

Without Ripley/Weaver I'm hesitant.

District 9 was a disappointment, Elysium's trailer looked very generic, Chappie's trailer looks downright offensive. No, I will not be seeing this Alien film thanks.

You're judging a film that hasn't even been written, yet alone filmed on the basis of one film and two trailers?

Well it's obvious that the director doesn't have a good track record in my opinion. Of course that's not the end all be all, but it makes sure I won't be interested in the film beforehand, and it takes a ridiculous amount of good word of mouth before I'll even consider to go see it. It's the exact same reason why I won't see the next Michael Bay film for example, whatever that may be.

District 9 was a disappointment

What the hell is wrong with you? Easily the best sci-fi blockbuster since The Matrix. Interesting premise, great character development, very well written (and poignant) script, crisp cinematography, perfect blend of action and plot progression, one of the best protagonists ever in mainstream cinema... what exactly were you disappointed by?

Elysium was trash, but if you were disappointed in District 9, there is nothing to blame but yourself.

Elysium was trash, but if you were disappointed in District 9, there is nothing to blame but yourself.

I hated District 9. Easily one of the worst films i've seen. I remember walking out of the cinema with 3 of my mates and all of us were wondering what the hell we just watched. To this day we still joke about how bad it was. :D

District 9 was awesome (and obviously divisive)

This is set after Prometheus 2 and before Alien? i thought this was after resurrection since all the art shows older Ripley, or perhaps after Aliens as it showed Hicks....Where is that from? all the info i can find mention its set after Prometheus 2 which all the Alien films are, confusing reports in the same sentence then say the Alien prequel (refering to Prometheus 2) as far as i knew this project (which he discussed with weaver) is and was intended to be a continuation of Ellen Ripley's story

all the info i saw when it was just a failed project the other week said that

Hopefully it will be a continuation of the Ripley story. Hicks was cool and all but his death, and Newts even more-so was great character development for Ripley.

Oh yeah totally! if they bring him back (no idea how they could) then Newt needs to stay dead, there is no reason for her to be revived

the clone ship i suppose could have had a sister ship and revived Hicks, to get info on the aliens? can't remember if he was infected too?

Just to be clear: I generally agree I shouldn't judge films on their trailers alone. However, I've also come to trust my intuition, which is more right than it is wrong. Elysium's trailer looks bland. There's a chance I may enjoy the film if I do decide to watch it, but the fact that a lot of people didn't really like it , or found it mediocre, doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence. So that chance that I may still like it is very small.

Chappie however.. I'm not exaggerating when I say that to me, that trailer is downright offensive. Every time that girl utters anything, I want to punch her in the face. The premise is generic, which in itself isn't a problem, but the trailer doesn't show anything that may elevate it beyond its initial premise. The bits of script that are presented don't sound very good. I'm not fan of the robot design, which seem to be anime inspired, but infused with this Neill Blomkamp style. But the biggest problem is the casting of people who aren't actors. There's not just a chance I won't like this film, it's guaranteed.

As for District 9, I honestly can't remember much of the film, or why I didn't like it. I believe I didn't like the 2nd half, when the guy started to transform. I think the film just ended up being a generic sci-fi action film during that 2nd half, and I just wasn't impressed with it. It did have an interesting premise, which is why I was looking forward to it. I liked the setting. Yet all I remember is being disappointed. No, the Neill Blomkamp style just isn't for me.

Edited by Sméagol

Well I've already seen the whole film soooo...

Should I watch the trailer for Chappie backwards?

Do you mean facing away from it or full on reverse-mode? Don't confuse me.

Anyway, I'd like to see Hicks back: I don't agree that it was good for Ripley or her development. It was a c*nt-punt/kick in the gonads to anyone who enjoyed the second film and invested in the characters. And to kill them off-screen was just bullshit. There was no fall-out from their deaths for Ripley, it brought nothing. What we should have seen is Ripley taking on the role of defender to an injured Hicks, and Newt overcoming her fear of the aliens. What we got was turd.

In fact, I would be totally, TOTALLY behind it if the whole of Alien 3 was revealed to have been a dream Ripley had on the Nostromo in hyper sleep. I would stand up in the cinema and shout to express my joy. MY ABSOLUTE JOY.

I have no opinion on District 9 as I have not seen it, but I enjoyed Elysium despite the ending.

Edited by Iun

It is widely considered that Alien 2-4 are thematically about motherhood. Especially Aliens, considering we learn about Amanda's death and are introduced to Newt - a girl around the same age as Ripley's daughter the last time she saw her. in Aliens this idea other motherhood comes to fruition when Ripley stumbles in the Alien nest, Newt in her arms and stands face-to-face with the mother of her enemy, the Queen. Ripley destroying the eggs in front of the Queen being a kind of revenge kick for her being the mother of the species that took so much away from her, namely her chance at motherhood.

So when Newt died in Alien3 this idea was was pushed further, again she's lost a daughter figure, a chance at being a mother.

Alien4 also furthered this theme but I'm hungry and don't want to to re-write an essay I wrote on the subject a few years ago.

It is widely considered that Alien 2-4 are thematically about motherhood. Especially Aliens, considering we learn about Amanda's death and are introduced to Newt - a girl around the same age as Ripley's daughter the last time she saw her. in Aliens this idea other motherhood comes to fruition when Ripley stumbles in the Alien nest, Newt in her arms and stands face-to-face with the mother of her enemy, the Queen. Ripley destroying the eggs in front of the Queen being a kind of revenge kick for her being the mother of the species that took so much away from her, namely her chance at motherhood.

So when Newt died in Alien3 this idea was was pushed further, again she's lost a daughter figure, a chance at being a mother.

Alien4 also furthered this theme but I'm hungry and don't want to to re-write an essay I wrote on the subject a few years ago.

"Alien 4" commonly known as "Alien Resurrection" was a TV movie made without license for the launch of a French TV channel. END OF.

Alien 3 was a horrible accident. Someone released it as an April Fools prank and by the time it was realized what had been done, it had already been showing for three weeks. So by then, it was too late. I mean, come on, Charles Dance... An otherwise excellent actor who is clearly taking the piss throughout the entire film.

(I mean no disrespect or harm: but it's the only way I can cope with two excellent films being UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY SPOILED by two follow ups that were UNFIT TO BEAR THE NAME.)