NEurope
Sméagol

Potential Netflix live-action Zelda series

Yeah, like Nintendo would do that.

I've given up on guessing what Nintendo would and would not do.

Crazy if it turns out to be true. You'd need a decent budget to pull it off well.

That's what I thought, but it's Wall Street Journal, not some random tabloid.

It is unexpected, but their sources say they're at least discussing it (which had been corroborated by Slashfilm), and to be honest that's already more than I expected. Nothing may come out of this, but it's still cool news if true.

I've given up on guessing what Nintendo would and would not do.

The only way this is a Nintendo-like move is in as much as Link is mute and Nintendo hate you being able to chat to anyone.

Drop-the-mic.gif

But seriously? A company such as Nintendo, who have such trepidations about online and such a Japan-centric view when it comes to creation to then up and do this? It may very well be true, but I can't ever see it seeing the light of day.

The only way this is a Nintendo-like move is in as much as Link is mute and Nintendo hate you being able to chat to anyone.

Drop-the-mic.gif

But seriously? A company such as Nintendo, who have such trepidations about online and such a Japan-centric view when it comes to creation to then up and do this? It may very well be true, but I can't ever see it seeing the light of day.

Why are people acting like a vocal Link hasn't happened in official material before?

Why are people acting like a vocal Link hasn't happened in official material before?

I was making a joke. I thought using a gif from a beloved comedy series would make that clear...

Although the less said about that piece of shit the better tbf.

This is obviously utterly fake *notices its the wall street journal* i um what? but they are not some rag, so this could be true? what?

WHAT?

jesus have i moved into opposite land? this is very un-nintendo

This would make a lot of sense, especially if they are pushing it as a Family friendly Game of Thrones as the article mentions.

Given their track record of producing shows (House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and Marco Polo), this could be fantastic :D

This would make a lot of sense, especially if they are pushing it as a Family friendly Game of Thrones as the article mentions.

Given their track record of producing shows (House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and Marco Polo), this could be fantastic :D

This is a really good point. Recent Netflix originals have been fantastic!

Will it support voice-chat?

No and you'll have to enter a 16 digit code to watch every episode.

Voice acting confirmed for Zelda Wii U? If it does come to pass and Link talks in it, the next logical step is pressure for him to talk in the games. Unless this series is called The Adventures of Mute Link and maybe he can visit Mute City and they can have Iwata, Miyamoto or Aonuma in the bottom right hand corner doing sign language. It'll be part of their Quality Of Life range.

Seriously though I hope the rumour is true and that it's good and is successful.

I never thought of Link as being mute in the games anyway. You answer questions with multiple choice and people respond to things you "say". It's just a stylistic choice so you can imagine the character talking in your own words/voice.

And if the series ever becomes reality, there's no reason for it to take anything directly from games, not even the main character. They might go a completely different direction.

This is interesting. Could have potential, though of course I have conflicted feelings on the prospect of Link talking again.

Plot twist: the entire series will be about Zelda herself trying to fight evil, while a silent, mysterious "man in green" will help her occasionally :heh:

If Netflix have it as a Netflix Original Series and therefore have a fair amount of control over it this could be good if they aim it at a family audience like how Doctor Who is.

Voice acting confirmed for Zelda Wii U? If it does come to pass and Link talks in it, the next logical step is pressure for him to talk in the games. Unless this series is called The Adventures of Mute Link and maybe he can visit Mute City and they can have Iwata, Miyamoto or Aonuma in the bottom right hand corner doing sign language. It'll be part of their Quality Of Life range.

Seriously though I hope the rumour is true and that it's good and is successful.

Erm..No.

Link doesn't need to talk in the games as he is a vessel for the player to experience the game.

A TV character would be completely different as he's not a vessel for the player at all.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. I just hope they use the artwork from the older Zelda titles (ie. NES, SNES) and the darkness of Twilight Princess as inspriration. A series inspired by the latter would do VERY well on Netflix.

It would be pretty cool to set it around The Great War, something the games have never wanted to or found a way to cover, but that fans have always wanted to see. Could make for a great series, and again Link could be in it as much as needed but likewise it could be very much about other characters.

I do wonder how with a TV show budget they would tackle some of the races in the series. You only need to look at the likes of Doomsday in Smallville to see how Gorons may be a bit of an issue. Do they just alter certain difficult races to humans instead?

Will it support voice-chat?

No, but it looks fucking awesome at 30fps.

That's all I have to add to this thread.

Edited by Goafer