NEurope
Jimbob

(Maybe) Bye bye US Netflix [falsified]

No, that's not what I'm saying even remotely :) I'm just explaining the reasons it can have a negative impact on content financers/makers To go against the condemnation of the idea.

You watching a film on US netflix and not UK netflix or sky or whoever has the rights at that time, is reducing the UK's rights value, you not being able to watch US netflix and you pirate it instead, you know what, NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!!

In that case I'd maybe advise you to be careful with your wording/phrasing, because the end of the sentence really gave me an alternative impression, and it doesn't help when the discussions get heated and people start accusing people of saying or not saying things, when it seems they might have actually just not expressed themselves clearly.

Regardless of whether it's possible/doable tomorrow, or if it will take a lot of work - does anyone really see a great disadvantage to the indsutry moving towards a more globalised system?

Edited by Rummy

In that case I'd maybe advise you to be careful with your wording/phrasing, because the end of the sentence really gave me an alternative impression, and it doesn't help when the discussions get heated and people start accusing people of saying or not saying things, when it seems they might have actually just not expressed themselves clearly.

Regardless of whether it's possible/doable tomorrow, or if it will take a lot of work - does anyone really see a great disadvantage to the indsutry moving towards a more globalised system?

But you're quoting my out of context, I was talking about the situation for someone who has had a film released and their rights in a territory. Nothing has changed to their lack of 'sale' (so to speak) in uk (for e.g.) if people watch US or pirate it. They still don't get a 'sale' in the uk.

As for your second point, not really no, "local" knowledge being lost, smaller amount of companies controlling more (always a bad thing), reduces strategy options of doing different things in different regions (a uk film will more likely get a uk cinema release but not in china, a global system make things potentially tricky with stuff like that), loses sellers ability to make different deals and get more exposure/money - maybe sky are really generous so you don't just want to give it to nettles worldwide). Etc, but nothing that can't be sorted.

However, I really think this is the least of peoples worries with distribution, a few people upset because it's not on UK netflix...

But you're quoting my out of context, I was talking about the situation for someone who has had a film released and their rights in a territory. Nothing has changed to their lack of 'sale' (so to speak) in uk (for e.g.) if people watch US or pirate it. They still don't get a 'sale' in the uk.

As for your second point, not really no, "local" knowledge being lost, smaller amount of companies controlling more (always a bad thing), reduces strategy options of doing different things in different regions (a uk film will more likely get a uk cinema release but not in china, a global system make things potentially tricky with stuff like that), loses sellers ability to make different deals and get more exposure/money - maybe sky are really generous so you don't just want to give it to nettles worldwide). Etc, but nothing that can't be sorted.

However, I really think this is the least of peoples worries with distribution, a few people upset because it's not on UK netflix...

I have to say dazzy, I respect you and usually enjoy your posts, but you're being rather shifty here. I still can't even see how was apparently out of context, it was straight out of your post. You DID make a later post giving an example of someone selling their film to Netflix US, to Sky in the UK, but everyone in UK watching it via the US means - however that was made AFTER the post I've previously quoted.

Next up - even with that, your understanding of 'context' is a mystery to me, as I've taken your posts exactly as they seemed to come across, if the context you refer to IS the example I've just mentioned, it's difficult to have it given you made the point afterwards, no?

Coming back - you've just a few posts ago told me I misunderstood and you what I understood 'wasn't what you were saying remotely' - yet you've just made the point essentially paraphrasing what I gave as my understanding?

streaming from US for US exclusive content(whilst in UK, and paying your money to UK, who pay money to UK etc and NOT to US) is equivalent to piracy. In some ways, yeah, at the moment it is.

Yet, apparently, you aren't even remotely saying what I originally said? I have to say, those statements look really rather similar, let alone even being remote from each other. With it too - I did go on to explain what I feel IS a potentially important difference between the two moving forward.

I'm not sure what has you so riled in this topic, if it's because it's connected to your business or what, but you really seem to not be taking what people, including yourself, are saying on board from what I see. A perfect example of that is even the last statement of your last post where you say;

Yet more than one person has already said that it isn't about that for them you seem to think that's still what it's about? I just don't see you really engaging in the discussion here and taking much on board.

For me, personally, it's an interesting discussion about the 'industry' the 'modern' age/way, and the 'need' for 'change'. I don't actually use Netflix, I don't actually care for this decision much personally(ie to be upset) but I find the whole everything associated around it and the discussions it's prompting interesting. Business implications, industry implications, alternative models, current pros/cons etc.

Also, I completely agree - it's up to Netflix, and people shouldn't/can't really whine about it. If it's in the ToS then it's in there. Tbh when I first heard about this story(just before this thread) I actually thought it was far worse and that Netflix were actually banning accounts associated with VPN usage and not just the VPNs, and even whilst I thought it was harsh I wasn't even all that outraged. That's another thing about a modern age service - you break the terms, they cut you off - fair or not? There's a whole world of discussion out there associated with a happening like this and the factors surrounding it, it's interesting to have, I don't think any of us expected this to just be a topic on such a small slice and essentially lots of just 'boo i hate it', 'yay i like it', and 'meh i dont care'.

I agree with this, btu surely there's a middle ground where regional distribution still exists, but they don't have such a stranglehold on the market like they do now (not that this is the worst industry, I think music is far worse).

I have to say dazzy, I respect you and usually enjoy your posts, but you're being rather shifty here. I still can't even see how was apparently out of context, it was straight out of your post. You DID make a later post giving an example of someone selling their film to Netflix US, to Sky in the UK, but everyone in UK watching it via the US means - however that was made AFTER the post I've previously quoted.

Next up - even with that, your understanding of 'context' is a mystery to me, as I've taken your posts exactly as they seemed to come across, if the context you refer to IS the example I've just mentioned, it's difficult to have it given you made the point afterwards, no?

Sorry, the context was Shjeikah's post, which was saying that content creators, lose, the situation is a lose-lose, which I was saying no, because in both situations they don't get a 'sale'

Coming back - you've just a few posts ago told me I misunderstood and you what I understood 'wasn't what you were saying remotely' - yet you've just made the point essentially paraphrasing what I gave as my understanding?

I just don't see it as the same thing at all. Piracy is a bad thing, I'm not saying watching US netflix is as bad downloading stuff illegally, I didn't think I implied it was, but you said in my eyes I see them as the same, that's what I was saying I wasn't remotely saying.

Yet, apparently, you aren't even remotely saying what I originally said? I have to say, those statements look really rather similar, let alone even being remote from each other. With it too - I did go on to explain what I feel IS a potentially important difference between the two moving forward.

I just don't see it as the same thing at all. Piracy is a bad thing, I'm not saying watching US netflix is as bad downloading stuff illegally, I didn't think I implied it was, but you said in my eyes I see them as the same, that's what I was saying I wasn't remotely saying.

I'm not sure what has you so riled in this topic, if it's because it's connected to your business or what, but you really seem to not be taking what people, including yourself, are saying on board from what I see. A perfect example of that is even the last statement of your last post where you say;

Yet more than one person has already said that it isn't about that for them you seem to think that's still what it's about? I just don't see you really engaging in the discussion here and taking much on board.

I'm not riled up in the slightest bit about any of this, i find it quite interesting. I just think people we're being a little, whatever the word is, about it and wanted to express my thoughts on it. But the whole post is about Netflix taking it away (maybe) the rights, so surely it IS about that, it's led to wider distribution, but surely the original point stands?

But either way, I felt like people really did;t see how the current laws are to help content makers/financers who need protecting so was just trying to bring some perspective to the what seemed like a one sided debate.

I really don't think Netflix are wholly to blame for not having the content everyone wants. Like others have said it comes down the licensing and they can buy what they can afford and what is offered. People would likely more pissed if they rose the price (even further) to accommodate this.

Personally I have another set of problems...Canadian Netflix is also absolute toss but what really doesn't make sense is a lot of the other apps for Xbox and Playstation aren't available despite 90% of the channels on cable being US channels. Makes no sense why these apps that work with a US cable subscription and unlock don't do so here.

U.S Netflix on Chrome works fine (using Hola Unblocker).

Hopefully it stays this way..I'm re-watching Malcolm In The Middle and it's not on UK netflix!

Ffs you mean torrentfreak is not a good source for legitimately sourced news? Now I'll have to change my homepage back to theonion.

Ffs you mean torrentfreak is not a good source for legitimately sourced news? Now I'll have to change my homepage back to theonion.

I didn't even check the news source, I just took Jimbob's word for it.

It wasn't just Torrentfreak reporting it, there were many other sites. Just chose that one as it was the first on the list. :blank:

I'd seen it elsewhere too myself, though I very rarely check the source that a source has sourced and it's quite likely they were all sourcing each other and sourcing torrentfreak with it.

Netflix have updated the Terms of Use. They now say they can kick you out or out or reduce the service if you use Netflix while pretending to be in a country different from the one where the account was created.

c)

You may view a movie or TV show through the Netflix service primarily within the country in which you have established your account and only in geographic locations where we offer our service and have licensed such movie or TV show. The content that may be available to watch will vary by geographic location. Netflix will use technologies to verify your geographic location.

h)

We may terminate or restrict your use of our service, without compensation or notice if you are, or if we suspect that you are (i) in violation of any of these Terms of Use or (ii) engaged in illegal or improper use of the service.

Edited by Tales

They probably shoved it in to keep studios happy. I doubt they'll actually ban people for it.

They probably shoved it in to keep studios happy. I doubt they'll actually ban people for it.

Was just about to post this myself. They may make an example of a few people if studios really push for it, but I doubt they'll be doing mass bannings.

I doubt anything will come from it, but hey ho. I'm switching back to the UK Netflix anyway end of the week after i've finished watching a series which is only in the US

Personally, if they ban me I'll just pirate the shows I'm in the middle of watching. I pay because it's a legal, fairly priced and convenient option.

popcorntime.se is your friend, even has Chromecast support for android