NEurope
Jimbob

(Maybe) Bye bye US Netflix [falsified]

I'm currently resisting the temptation of using popcorn time, and that's because I want to pay for it. But the movie industry doesn't want to me to pay them as they are stuck in the stone age.

The last stats I saw were that one third of Canadian (I don't have UK stats, but I imagine they'd be similar) Netflix subscribers use some method of accessing US Netflix. I seriously doubt they're going to start banning people for this. I suspect the terms of service was just changed to appease the local content distributors.

Isn't it 100% of Australian Netflix users? Since Netflix isn't available Down Under, but they all sign up and watch it through VPNs. That's a whole country worth of subscribers they'd lose.

popcorntime.se is your friend, even has Chromecast support for android

Ha! I recently started using Netflix(my bro signed up to a trial month so I'm using one 'screen') as it was Chromecast compatible. Spent the last 2 and a half weeks watching Avatar Last Airbender then decided yesterday to watch Korra and was dissappointed to find they don't have it - ShowBox and PopcornTime didn't even spring to mind but I'm gonna go get them when I get home for future just in case(got and stuck Korra on my Plex now anyway).

The lack of support for some shows is a bit of a shame, but again it's all of the licensing hoohah and whatnot :(

The last stats I saw were that one third of Canadian (I don't have UK stats, but I imagine they'd be similar) Netflix subscribers use some method of accessing US Netflix. I seriously doubt they're going to start banning people for this. I suspect the terms of service was just changed to appease the local content distributors.

Yep I regularly flip flop between the two. The US is still missing some key stuff that the Canadian version does have though but as a whole is way better.

Isn't it 100% of Australian Netflix users? Since Netflix isn't available Down Under, but they all sign up and watch it through VPNs. That's a whole country worth of subscribers they'd lose.

It launched down there recently: https://www.netflix.com/au/

Struth! Just because it's Australia doesn't mean they're all criminals!

Maybe it's not enough to look like they care, licence holders are probably lobbbying to get them to take action. If Netflix loses licences to other streaming services because they haven't taken action, they have to care.

And this isn't just a comment in an interview or media conferance, but an announcement on their company blog.

I'm sure they will up their tech in this area but I seriously doubt they'll be able to completely stop people accessing regions they're not physically in. It would certainly be a shame if they did manage to completely stop it, the Japanese Netflix is pretty good but I'd really miss the US side of things.

You're calling that rumours?

Just in light of saying they said it last year, nothing. Now saying they'll do it again this year.

Maybe this could be the year that none of the proxies/VPN's will bypass regions. Who knows, we'll find out in a few weeks.

Edited post to avoid confusion.

Netflix: VPN crackdown claims 'false', says executive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30726631

Yeah, read that. That was issued a few days before the blog.

Orrr....a year and a few days before...check the date on the BBC link...

As I think I said on facebook not here...these same reports came out almost exactly a year a go and Netflix falsified them for sure. This time however the news has been posted on the Netflix blog so it's very much real.

I'm sure they get pressured by the movie companies to do something, the solution would be for those big wigs to stop being such arseholes realize Netflix is the market leader and give them international streaming.

Orrr....a year and a few days before...check the date on the BBC link...

As I think I said on facebook not here...these same reports came out almost exactly a year a go and Netflix falsified them for sure. This time however the news has been posted on the Netflix blog so it's very much real.

I'm sure they get pressured by the movie companies to do something, the solution would be for those big wigs to stop being such arseholes realize Netflix is the market leader and give them international streaming.

I think one of the UK issues is Sky, they want people to use their services for TV/Movies etc. That's only 1 issue, the other issues rely on movie companies to stop being 20th Century and come to the 21st and realise these content restrictions do contribute to piracy (and also stop being idiots about it)

I bet quite a few people would pay extra for Netflix if they got global access.

I already pay more of Netflix as I spend 5$ a month for the proxy/vpn. Wouldn't mind to pay that to Netflix instead on top of what I'm already paying. Wouldn't mind to pay twice the Netflix subscription if they ended all restrictions.

Is it an growing issue in UK too that there are now a bunch of different streaming services in addition to Netflix? Including Netflix, I can think of five sites in Norway. The other four has nowhere the same content as the Norwegian Netflix alone, but I worry about the day when the others catch up, and all content is evenly divided upon five+ services all charging 6-8£ a month. I suspect piracy will be back to pre-Netflix levels if that happens.

I won't ever go back to downloading, but I might question wether or not it's worth to a full year subscription to Netflix(I've been a member since day 1 uninterrupted) if they crack down on VPN. The only other service I've used, HBO, I only sign up for half a year at most, during GoT and couple months after.

Edited by Tales

I already pay more of Netflix as I spend 5$ a month for the proxy/vpn. Wouldn't mind to pay that to Netflix instead on top of what I'm already paying. Wouldn't mind to pay twice the Netflix subscription if they ended all restrictions.

Is it an growing issue in UK too that there are now a bunch of different streaming services in addition to Netflix? Including Netflix, I can think of five sites in Norway. The other four has nowhere the same content as the Norwegian Netflix alone, but I worry about the day when the others catch up, and all content is evenly divided upon five+ services all charging 6-8£ a month. I suspect piracy will be back to pre-Netflix levels if that happens.

I won't ever go back to downloading, but I might question wether or not it's worth to a full year subscription to Netflix(I've been a member since day 1 uninterrupted) if they crack down on VPN. The only other service I've used, HBO, I only sign up for half a year at most, during GoT and couple months after.

It's certainly a growing problem here in Canada with each cable provider starting their own services like Showmi for example. I use the US Netflix purely for shows but it could be argued for up to date movies the Canadian Netflix is actually better as evidenced by Star Wars Force Awakens coming to that service first in Canada. For TV it's crap though there are laws about percentage of canadian made content that have to offered on any TV services so there is a bunch of fluff that no one wants to watch plus the TV companies here have such a monopoly I'd wager they are pushing Netflix out. However some of that is moving aside as I think the government are cracking down on it.

Another separate problem exists in that you buy your cable package that comes with the likes of ABC, NBC, HBO but then the console versions of those additional free streaming services are not available in Canada yet you sit through countless commercials telling you to use them. VPN doesn't work for some of them as you need to register your cable subscription billing info.

I've been using Netflix less and less recently, so I don't see this as such a big deal. Most of the stuff I still find worth watching on Netflix is made by Netflix, which isn't region restricted anyway. I'm actually more curious about the technology they're planning on rolling out to detect the user's location than anything else, although, I can't really see details being made public, for obvious reasons.

Well looks like its true....

12645208_10156472739375187_6658765969179207594_n.jpg?oh=eabab0511401f095cd4aff73e4fc346b&oe=573C334C

This happened last night and we are using Unblock-US which is a DNS service not necessarily a VPN. Only to get round it was keep reseting console but got annoying after every episode. What is odd in the past if the DNS stuff was down it would just revert to my regions Netflix now it won't even do that effectively rendering DNS useless of other stuff such as Hulu, 4OD and BBC iplayer if I wanted to keep using Netflix.

Edited by flameboy

Mediahint still works for me. The kind I use is just an app/extension on the browser so I don't know how it differs from the other and if that is the reason it still works.