N-Europe

Black Friday

Beast

I'm going to avoid shopping this weekend. Not only is it going to be rammed of shoppers, but with an International Rugby match on, full of supporters. Further away from the city, the better really.

I very nearly didn't get on the train this morning for work due to the number of people heading into Cardiff for shopping.

Whole thing is nonsense.

People crushing each other on the high-street to grab crappy products which were marked up before their reduction, fighting each other over them, even though they didn't even know they needed it til they got there. And the stupidest part? The item will have been that price all year round online. Morons hear some buzzword come across from the States and think they're going to get the saving of a lifetime. I hope it's all an embarrassing mess with deep repercussions that stops it returning next year.

The only thing that used to be worth watching out for annually was Amazon's Lightning Deals, now they've massively oversaturated them by running 10x the products, 90% of which are now extremely average, and for 5x as long. Because it has a name and a following now, there's no need to actually make the deals worthwhile in order to sell everything...

Calm yo' consumerism, humans, and never value a TV above another person. Especially a shitty out-of-production LCD rebranded as Polaroid (as if that makes it more attractive).

Edited by Shorty

Realised I hadn't brought any smart clothes with me (brother-in-law's birthday) so had to go shopping to Meadowhall. It was as busy as late christmas shopping. Insane amount of traffic, and the sales aren't even that good. Most of it is just 20% off, which still makes it more expensive than online. January sales I can understand, as they're usually half price, but this is ridiculous.

Whole thing is nonsense.

People crushing each other on the high-street to grab crappy products which were marked up before their reduction, fighting each other over them, even though they didn't even know they needed it til they got there. And the stupidest part? The item will have been that price all year round online. Morons hear some buzzword come across from the States and think they're going to get the saving of a lifetime. I hope it's all an embarrassing mess with deep repercussions that stops it returning next year.

The only thing that used to be worth watching out for annually was Amazon's Lightning Deals, now they've massively oversaturated them by running 10x the products, 90% of which are now extremely average, and for 5x as long. Because it has a name and a following now, there's no need to actually make the deals worthwhile in order to sell everything...

Calm yo' consumerism, humans, and never value a TV above another person. Especially a shitty out-of-production LCD rebranded as Polaroid (as if that makes it more attractive).

lol I have been happily laughing at people grabbing Blaupunkt TV's, HD Ready!! what year we in? 2006.

The thing is, I often go into town anyway, and today being Black Friday made it slightly more unpleasant for me. I was going to buy a Nintendo points card from GAME, for instance, but didn't because of the queue.

I don't hate Black Friday, but am in the "It's not a particularly good thing" camp.

I don't understand the Black Friday craze at all....When I first moved to Canada it wasn't a HUGE HUGE thing it still existed...the american owned stores; Walmart, Best Buy etc.... did them but now everyone has latched on to it whole hog. The thing is the deals ain't even all that...if here is anything to go by it's only going to get crazier in England...oh jeez.

I don't mind. Went to the mall today and one of the shops gave 20% discount if you spent 50£ or more. Super Smash cost 49.99(this basically "RRP" over here) so I picked up Edge of Tomorrow and together with the discount it cost me 54. So a blu ray movie for 4£. Not bad. (the movie cost 15£) In hindsight I should have picked up the Super Smash with the adapter as it would have cost close the original game with the discount(it cost 65 I believe) but I'll survive.

There's a rather nice Samsung TV in my local Tesco for £250 (I think) that I was tempted by, seeing as we'll need one for the gaming room when we get our own place, but I can't justify spending that much so close to Christmas/our planned house purchase time.

There's a rather nice Samsung TV in my local Tesco for £250 (I think) that I was tempted by, seeing as we'll need one for the gaming room when we get our own place, but I can't justify spending that much so close to Christmas/our planned house purchase time.

I almost wanted one of those too. But they all went at midnight, we had civilized queues at our Tesco.

The daytime was a bit busier though, apparently Sainsbury's were doing a similar deal on a Samsung TV for £150 and I told mummy, but she wasn't feeling it.

I got myself one of these:

71I%2B8sidlxL._SL1500_.jpg

Was £20 before discount. Been meaning to get further on the track to healthy-ness. With a 24 hour gym opening soon right next to work, and a coworker will simply not shut up about her juicer.

I got an Xbox One. £299 with Halo and Forza 5 on an Amazon Lightning Deal. About £30 cheaper than it was last week so I'm happy.

Fuck the American traditions though - fighting with each other over material goods the day after they're supposed to be thankful for what they have.

The whole day at work I could see my colleagues just browsing online clothes stores for bargains. One of them spent over £400...! Another one was on some pet shop online and was part of a queue to actually even look at the goods -- they were 700th in line.

So I was massively stressed and annoyed at everyone wasting their time... then I saw a colleague on steam... and got him to buy me the valve collection for £18.99. I am One Of Them.