NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Can't believe that this thread is essentially dead. So, nobody's actually playing this game?

Laaaaaame. Loved Tomb Raider and was so pumped to play this. Definitely not going to get an Xbox One as I don't need another console.

As aforementioned, I have the game but it's still sealed because I was a heathen and I didn't finish the first game...

...on the PS4. :heh:

Since then the first Tomb Raider has been on Games with Gold for Xbox One, I'm off work at the moment so I'm trying to catch up with all those games that have been piling up. :(

I'm making really good progress though : peace: I started playing Tomb Raider soon after the next game arrived, I've been playing each night and with every session I've found myself playing a bit longer each time, first it was an hour or so, then two hours plus... last night I started playing at 10PM and I don't think I stopped until gone 2AM because I've found the gameplay to be so... so.. Hnnnnnnnnnnngggggghhh!!! :grin:

The way it's all integrated, the exploration, discovering optional tombs on the side while scoping out your environments, using your survival instincts to check for anything you might have missed, the seamless way in which you just light a torch so that you can either light your way or set fire to something in order to progress... it's the simple things. :)

Of course you also have the upgrade system, which relies heavily on the things you can salvage from the world around you, all of the exp adding up, hidden parts needed for your next weapon, upgrades to your own skill set as a suvivor; it all helps to give you the edge particularly in combat which I feel is handled really well, plus you've got all of the enviromental puzzles which are rather clever in their own way.

I like those cinematic moments which are nicely spaced out but add to the tense atmosphere within the game, the quick-time events which require a bit of precision yet they aren't stupidly difficult.

Oh and the story is pretty decent too, I'm liking Lara's character development as I've been enjoying the games so much more since Crystal Dynamics took over almost ten years ago - incidentally the PC & PS4 releases should coincide nicely with their ten year anniversary of them taking the helm of making Tomb Raider games - :awesome: but this title is something else as they've made her character so much more relatable, whereas if I tried to play any of the really early Tomb Raider games now - from the first PS1 title to the last Core developed PS2 title - I just couldn't. :blank:

Rebooting the franchise is definitely the best thing to happen with Tomb Raider and personally I now can't wait to finish the first title knowing that I have the sequel ready and waiting to be played. : peace:

I'll keep you updated but hopefully this thread will become more active from now on, even if it's just me going on about how much I'm enjoying playing Tomb Raider Definitive Edition before moving onto Rise of the Tomb Raider. :indeed:

The game only sold 56,700 copies in the UK so almost nobody is playing it.

I really want to get it (for Xbox360) but my girl friend has forbidden me to buy it (or anything else for that matter) this close to Christmas - because I tend to do that and thereby making it harder for others to buy anything for me. :/

Might see a sales bump at Christmas. Releasing the game alongside Fallout and just before Christmas means a lot of people will hold off.

Squeenix should've had a clause in their exclusivity agreement that the game has to sell x within a month :p

Might see a sales bump at Christmas. Releasing the game alongside Fallout and just before Christmas means a lot of people will hold off.

Squeenix should've had a clause in their exclusivity agreement that the game has to sell x within a month :p

would it be a disappointing 3.6 million though?

I'll be very interested to see what it sells worldwide in the first four weeks. I hope M$ gave them a lot of dosh for that deal, or we're even less likely to see another installment.

PC.

(unless you really want to multiplayer and you expect friends to buy the PS4 version)

I hope they make some "old face" DLC. Really preferred the face from the previous game.

I'd love to get the game right away, but I'd love X-com 2 even more.. I think I'll get the latter on launch, and wait until end of the year or so for this one, the game will be pretty cheap by then.

PC.

(unless you really want to multiplayer and you expect friends to buy the PS4 version)

I thought Rise didn't have multiplayer?

I thought Rise didn't have multiplayer?

Oh I had no idea.. I didn't care about the multiplayer last game, so I never cared to check news about the multiplayer in this game.

PC it is then ;).

Ughhh why is it so difficult to play this game :p

I could buy it on 360 but will be annoying knowing I'm not experiencing it first at its best.

Could buy an Xbox One but... just for this...? Shame Halo 5 wasn't the return to glory.

If I got it on PC I'd probably only be able to run it at Xbox 360 quality so... see issue #1.

I could upgrade my PC but I want to hold out until the Vive comes out, see what the best options are at that time.

PS4 release is nearly a year away.

Damnit... Anyone want to lend me their Xbox?

Started this yesterday. It looks amazing

Forgot to download this, thanks for the reminder. (I caved and bought the PC version).

The game has already crashed twice unfortunate, are there any known issues?

Started playing this on PC the other day. It really does look incredible. I'm basically playing while keeping a finger over the F12 key for screenshots at all times.

I finished the main game 100% last night. I absolutely loved it. It's better than the previous one in pretty much every way.

I tried the endurance DLC today and I thought it was great. Essentially, you have a massive map with some randomly generated elements (I have no idea how big as I didn't come across any edges) and the objective is to find as many artefacts as you can, light a signal fire and bet extracted via helicopter. One death and you lose everything.

You also have to manage food and heat. At one point I couldn't find a good heat source, so I set myself on fire with a fire arrow. Also, after exploring a crypt I was low on food. I had to run outside and find something to eat. The first thing I came across was a bear. So I had a pretty epic fight while dying of hunger, looting it just in time.

I went to 11 artefacts this time, need to go for more next time.

VbdAlHI.jpg

Completed this last night. Really enjoyed it but I still think I prefer the first game overall. The story and setting in the first were better for me.

Still though, as I've said before this game was just gorgeous to look at and as with the last game, its just too fun running around with the bow and sneakily taking people out lol

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/07/19/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-20-year-celebration-revealed-on-ps4/

PS4 version officially revealed, will be out on the 11th October.

In addition to the previous DLC, there are some extra modes:

- Blood Ties: A new story set in Croft Manor. Has PSVR support.

- Lara’s Nightmare: Sounds like a wave mode, with undead attacking Croft Manor.

- Co-op Endurance: Like the Endurance mode (random generated area, find treasure, escape when you want, one death and you lose everything) but online with a friend.

- Classic Lara Costumes: Including original blocky/pointy original Tomb Raider model.

All the content will also be available for Season Pass owners on PC and Xbox One on the same date.

This seems to be the best way to do it: some new content for the new console without punishing people who already have it.

EDIT: Beaten by Cube

PS4 version arrives October 11th. It comes with PSVR support, DLC and a new co-op mode.

The headline addition is a new story chapter, 'Blood Ties' – which will be playable using PlayStation VR if you so choose. "When Lara's uncle contests ownership of the Manor, Lara must explore the estate to find proof that she is the rightful heir, or lose her birthright and father's secrets for good," the press release reads. An extra mode named 'Lara's Nightmare' will then see you defending the mansion from zombies.

There's more: you'll get all of the previously released DLC out of the box, as well a new co-op mode named Endurance. "Two players must team up to survive the harsh elements by day, as well as lethal threats from enemies by night. Fire takes fuel, food restores health, and every resource must be hunted, collected, or crafted. Battle to the top of the leaderboards, as others try to beat your longest survival run."

Edited by Hero-of-Time

October 11th is earlier than I was expecting :) can't wait. Time for the team's hard work to pay off and for them to actually sell some copies :p

Fuck yeah, I remember being so pissed off with the Xbox One exclusivity deal. This is going to be fucking sweet. :D

Tempted to do a playthrough of the previous game before playing this. :D