NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

I own both consoles and I'm a little annoyed I won't get theropods of 1080p now, I would have gone for the ps 4 version without doubt.

Ps4 owners will likely have uncharted out next Christmas anyway .

I imagine that a lot of PS4 owners would have bought both anyway, seeing as Tomb Raider was that good.

It's just nothing but annoying really. The game sold well on the PS3 and PS4 from what I heard, so...why deny that fanbase a chance to play the game? It would be similar to making something like FIFA PS4 only. Why? There's no real need for it. It's been a multiplatform game for God knows how long.

If it's not a timed exclusive, I hope that there's something else equally as awesome that comes out at around the same sort of time, so I can divert my monies towards that. Still, pissed off.

Well that sucks. I hope the game bombs.

And that benefits who exactly?

And that benefits who exactly?

If it bombed on one format it would almost certainly lead to swift releases on other formats.

Think Rayman going multiformat, that was a pre-emptive move since they knew the bomba was coming.

Either way, I don't expect it to bomb, but if it did (or performed bad enough) it's hard to deny it could be good for other gamers.

I think the worst part coming from this is the fact it was announced for the PS4, PC and Xbox One at E3 in June. And Microsoft go and throw money at Square Enix to make this "exclusive" to them, that's the worst part. I wouldn't have minded too much (if at all) if it was announced at E3 only for Xbox One (and i guess a lot of gamers wouldn't be as angry, if at all).

I'm not happy about the whole situation, but sales will be the deciding factor in bringing this to the PS4/PC if sales continue to be high for the PS4 units (so far, 10 million units sold to consumers alone)

I havent bothered to look up press releases or anything so I cant say for sure but the E3 trailer at least never announces a platform

I havent bothered to look up press releases or anything so I cant say for sure but the E3 trailer at least never announces a platform

I think it was only shown at the Xbox presser as well. I could be wrong though, as I can't remember much of the Sony E3 conference other than being knackered and listening to someone harp on about Powers, for what seemed like an eternity. :D

If it bombed on one format it would almost certainly lead to swift releases on other formats.

Think Rayman going multiformat, that was a pre-emptive move since they knew the bomba was coming.

Either way, I don't expect it to bomb, but if it did (or performed bad enough) it's hard to deny it could be good for other gamers.

But how anyone can wish a game they like to bomb just because it isn't on their preferred platform amazes me.

If people want the franchise to survive they should want the game to succeed. The game bombing doesn't help the developers one bit.

I just don't understand why people catch feelings over exclusive titles. This isn't new.

Reminds of when bayonetta fans went crazy when the title was announced for Wii u. They claimed that like the series while hoping bayonetta 2 bombs.

It makes no sense.

But how anyone can wish a game they like to bomb just because it isn't on their preferred platform amazes me.

Well, I've just given you a very good reason why, take it if you will.

Well, I've just given you a very good reason why, take it if you will.

Spoken like a true fanboy

Spoken like a true fanboy

Or not?

What's wrong with you man? I just gave you a very good reason why someone might want the result of this exclusivity deal to not turn out well. Because then there'd be more chance the game will release on other formats to recoup the money, like Rayman.

Don't be so rude and and appreciate that your point of view isn't the only one that's right.

I imagine a lot of Rayman fans were pissed at Legends being WiiU exclusive. But, the WiiU didn't take off and I just don't see the XboxOne failing so badly that they'll have to take the game multiplatform to get it out there. It's not quite the same situation.

The best we can hope for is it being timed exclusive, tbh. If not, then we'll have to miss out unless we have a One. It's a critically acclaimed game, I'll be shocked if it flops on the One. But, it's not great for fans of the series who have (naturally) banked on this being on a Playstation...seeing as it's always appeared on a Playstation console. At the very least, if a game is going to be this good, shouldn't it ideally really be accessible to as many gamers as possible? It's not a Mario Kart situation where Nintendo are behind it, so you can see why it should only be played on their console. The last game appeared on 5 platforms and now this one will only appear on (at the moment) 1. It's bullshit for the fans, really. Great for Microsoft that they bagged it for the One.

Or not?

What's wrong with you man? I just gave you a very good reason why someone might want the result of this exclusivity deal to not turn out well. Because then there'd be more chance the game will release on other formats to recoup the money, like Rayman.

Don't be so rude and and appreciate that your point of view isn't the only one that's right.

Lol, he accused me of the same thing without reason and then went quiet after I replied. Probably best to ignore the little man.

Or not?

It's a BS reason. If the game was exclusive to PS4 you wouldn't care one bit about it not being multi platform. Hoping a game fails in the hope it is then released on other platforms is nothing but hating.

It's a BS reason.

I really don't see why you're have a hard time following the series of events that explains why some people might want it to bomb.

- The game does not sell well on X1 as a result of the exclusivity deal

- S-E therefore quickly gets the game out on other formats

- People without an Xbox One can play a game they couldn't before.

If you still don't understand this reasoning then you have clear difficulties with comprehension. I'm not saying it will happen (very likely it won't), but there is logic to wanting this version of the game to bomb, as opposed to the franchise as a whole.

If the game was exclusive to PS4 you wouldn't care one bit about it not being multi platform.

Stupidly obvious post is stupidly obvious?

Other things I would not care about:

Not being allowed to have an umbrella if it wasn't going to rain

Not being given an antidote if I was never poisoned

Not being given the ignore button function if everyone made awesome, well-rounded posts (ha!)

I banked on this being for PC so i could have a ultra resolution 60fps game that wasn't gimped by hardware......regardless of timed exclusivity, if this is now only in production for the mid tier next gen console,it will be gimped if it ever comes to PS4 and PC without extra development putting in, which given SE's out put off late may or may not happen.....

Lets stop the comparisons to Bayonetta 2, they are flawed, bayo 2 wasn;t going to happen, then Nintendo put money into developing the game as an IP for them, without them the game wouldn't even exist other than in a failed pitch for a sequel, some potential test shots and art work!

Tomb Raider was a PC/PS game for years, then came to Xbox when it came out as it was always a multiplatform game, the Reboot was mult-iplatform and saw massive success* (and more sales on PS4) and then the sequel to it was announced at E3 with no mention of exclusivity, it was certainly at that point multiplatform, if it wasn't i think MS would definitely have been shouting that from the hills considering they were seen to have a weak showing......

Since then its been Money hatted into an exclusive IP on the failing console - lets not beat around the bush, its only doing reasonably well in the US! Where as in Europe and Japan (has it even launched in SE's homeland yet?) it is lagging well behind the PS4 (ratio of 2:1 sales), from SE's point of view i can't see how this is good business sense unless MS paid two thirds of the projected sales upfront for it!

Christ they probably paid in excess of $50million to get this......i can't see how that is a good thing, that could have been used to develop games, buy lots of smaller exclusives

Its just not good for gamers

Going to renege on my last statement this once.

Liger05. You need to get this into your thick skull: of course it wouldn't piss him off if it was exclusive to PS4, because then he'd be able to fucking play it. Tell me why it is wrong to want the game to bomb initially? In the long-run it would benefit everyone because it would show that more sales are made when games are released on all platforms, and it would benefit all consumers because it would maximise the number of people who got to experience the game, including *DUM DUM DUUUUM* Sheikah! And the bombing of that game would discourage similar money-hatting in the future. When you make a game, you make it because you want people to bloody play the damn thing.

That is not to say it wouldn't be a dick move if Sony did the same. It would be. They are dicks for the timed exclusive content they get. The only reason people don't kick up a fuss about it is that nobody really gives a shit about that content, and it is only timed anyway. Here we have a game that might well be a full exclusive of a blockbuster game. Xbox owners would be perfectly entitled to feel pissed off if this situation was reversed.

Guys guys! Stop all the fighting, we were wrong! Its not an Xbox One exclusive:

Rise of the Tomb Raider is coming to both Xbox One and Xbox 360

Rise of the Tomb Raider, Crystal Dynamic's 2015 follow-up to last year's series reboot that caught much attention when it was announced it would be an Xbox exclusive, is coming to both the Xbox One and the Xbox 360.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer confirmed the news to Eurogamer today during an interview at Cologne's Gamescom. We'll have more about the specifics - and the reasoning - behind the exclusive for you soon.

It was announced yesterday that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be an Xbox exclusive during Microsoft's Gamescom briefing. "Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-is-coming-to-both-xbox-one-and-xbox-360?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Going to renege on my last statement this once.

Liger05. You need to get this into your thick skull: of course it wouldn't piss him off if it was exclusive to PS4, because then he'd be able to fucking play it. Tell me why it is wrong to want the game to bomb initially? In the long-run it would benefit everyone because it would show that more sales are made when games are released on all platforms, and it would benefit all consumers because it would maximise the number of people who got to experience the game, including *DUM DUM DUUUUM* Sheikah! And the bombing of that game would discourage similar money-hatting in the future. When you make a game, you make it because you want people to bloody play the damn thing.

Oh look someone is getting angry. Grow a pair and stop getting so emotional over a game.

Why should there be any 3rd party exclusives then? Someone will always lose out regardless but that's the thing its always been that way. Certain games will be exclusive to a platform. Get over it already, its only been like that for the last 20 years.

Hoping a game bombs simply because one doesn't own a particular platform is just hating. I don't own an XB1 but I hope the developers get all the success they deserve for making a great game rather than wishing they come to regret this decision and the game is a commercial failure. That's pathetic!!!

When I swear online, 99% of the time it is for humour or to display exasperation. Unlike you I don't have to read my words aloud as I type them and SHOUT AS I TYPE IN CAPS or cry when I type *cries*. Sheikah and I have done the best we can but some people prove to be very testing, to the point where reason deflects away like ping pong balls off an elephant. I can honestly only assume you're trolling now, and if so, congratulations, this has been a resounding victory for you.

Edited by dwarf

Hoping a game bombs simply because one doesn't own a particular platform is just hating. I don't own an XB1 but I hope the developers get all the success they deserve for making a great game rather than wishing they come to regret this decision and the game is a commercial failure. That's pathetic!!!

There's no hope for you here. You're just ignoring what people are saying and coming across as very ignorant. You're either genuinely incapable of understanding a very simple sequence of events or just trying to troll us here.

Nobody is saying they want the franchise to bomb, rather just that there would be a good side if this one version bombs. If it did, then they released it across multiple formats to remedy the situation, it'd get more sales and bring them more success overall. Not only that, it would discourage similar crap like this going down in the future.

So, once again:

Version bomb - yes

Overall bomb - no

There's no hope for you here. You're just ignoring what people are saying and coming across as very ignorant. You're either genuinely incapable of understanding a very simple sequence of events or just trying to troll us here.

Nobody is saying they want the franchise to bomb, rather just that there would be a good side if this one version bombs. If it did, then they released it across multiple formats to remedy the situation, it'd get more sales and bring them more success overall. Not only that, it would discourage similar crap like this going down in the future.

So, once again:

Version bomb - yes

Overall bomb - no

Lol that really doesn't sound any better.

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Absolutely, opinions are what makes this place interesting! :)

My only issue with what you've said is the presumption that because it's Microsoft they aren't nurturing it helping, just putting money in to ring fence it from other platforms.

The quote from the chap from Crystal Dynamics suggests that Microsoft will be doing everything they can to make this game as good as it will be and helping them with lots of things.

Put another way, if Microsofts money, up front, helps the developers realise their vision and create the best game they can make which based on the past game has the potential to be really something, then it is the consumer who will benefit the most. Granted that consumer has to own a Microsoft product, but in terms of what we actually want, which is an amazing game to sink your teeth into, if we get that then fair play to Microsoft for allowing the developers to create it, then it's up to people to buy the game and/or console to show that faith was worth it.

Anyway, if all you PS4 owners can now please leave this thread in an orderly fashion, @Hero\-of\-Time (if he plugs his One back in) and myself have an exclusive to get excited about...;)

(Jokes obvs)

(...is there really only 5 of us on here who own an Xbox One?!)

I think it is very sad that there is an assumption that Microsoft won't do anything. I feel like earlier in the 360s lifespan they were fantastic at getting those exclusives and do exactly that. As someone who didn't own a 360 and was just a PS3 and Wii owner I used to be jealous. I definitely think Microsoft will pump a huge amount of money and marketing into this to make it even bigger than the reboot.

I do however think the Xbox 360 release is a misstep. I'm sure there are plenty of people who jumped ship to PS4 and still own a 360 who can now play the game and have little to no incentive to get a One to purchase this.

Also seems it's a timed exclusive:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-13-microsoft-confirms-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-xbox-exclusivity-deal-has-a-duration

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft's controversial exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider "has a duration".

However, he declined to confirm how long that duration is set for.

Last night, during its Gamescom press conference, Microsoft and Square Enix made the surprise announcement that Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox. That, Spencer confirmed, means Xbox One and Xbox 360.

But the wording of its statement caused some to wonder whether the game would eventually launch on other platforms. Spencer wouldn't speak for Square Enix on this, but did compare the deal to that it had for Xbox One games Dead Rising and Ryse, which will also launch on PC.

Spencer's comments confirm Square Enix, owner of Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics, is free to do whatever it wants with the game and the franchise after the exclusivity deal ends, including releasing it on other platforms.

Here's our conversation:

"When people want me to say, can you tell us when or if it's coming to other platforms, it's not my job," Spencer told Eurogamer. "My job is not to talk about games I don't own. I have a certain relationship on this version of Tomb Raider, which we announced, and I feel really good about our long term relationship with Crystal and Square.

"I get the reaction I see. If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game. I don't own every iteration of Tomb Raider.

"I don't own them building Tomb Raider on other platforms. I can't talk about the franchise that way. I can talk about the deal I have."

So, what, exactly, is that deal?

"I have Tomb Raider shipping next holiday exclusively on Xbox. It is Xbox 360 and Xbox One. I'm not trying to fake anybody out in terms of where this thing is. What they do with the franchise in the long run is not mine. I don't control it. So all I can talk about is the deal I have. I don't know where else Tomb Raider goes.

Is there a time limit on the exclusivity period?

"Yes, the deal has a duration. I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

Can you tell us how long the duration is?

"No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner. People ask me how much did we pay. There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

Angry gamers have directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft