NEurope
Cube

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Agreed about the 360 version, such a daft move! However I would argue that, much like with Titanfall, in doing something that is right for the consumers in making it both consoles, they are shooting themselves in the foot! They need to make it One exclusive, but man Microsoft are too good to us, am I right? ;)

What I'd like to know is if the game gets amazing reviews, plays a dream, sells like disco biscuits and shatters records on the One, AND still comes out on PS4 what the hell are you going to do @dwarf gourami?! :heh:

Cross Gen...uhhh my post about potentially gimping the game was more apt than i thought

The fact its now a 360 version is so much worse....it was originally Current Gen (No not NEXT gen...time based units) and not a cross with the previous gen...Cross gen games aren't good, they get gimped, and furthermore like Flameboy said there will be 360 to PS4 owners who now will just dig out the old console if they want it.

I can't see how this deal is going to benefit the franchise other than all the publicity, and thus far its not good, to the point they've had to admit its timed exclusive to cut on the backlash

Still Timed exclusive....Might get a definitive PC edition eventually

I do however think the Xbox 360 release is a misstep. I'm sure there are plenty of people who jumped ship to PS4 and still own a 360 who can now play the game and have little to no incentive to get a One to purchase this.

I think Microsoft are holding back their X1 sales figures because a lot less people have bought the console than the 'shipped' figures are letting on. If this is the case, they can't really afford to drop 360 support since so many people are still buying games for it.

What I'd like to know is if the game gets amazing reviews, plays a dream, sells like disco biscuits and shatters records on the One, AND still comes out on PS4 what the hell are you going to do @dwarf gourami?! :heh:

I don't get it, is this a trick question? I would buy the game as I had always wanted to.

It's good news that this is just a timed exclusive. I often buy games a while after release unless they're really something special, so as long as the wait isn't too bad I'll be ok.

Nice to see them confirm a timed exclusive (even if they did so in such a roundabout way).

This announcement that its a timed exclusive makes me think that Sony added that bit about fully clarifying which were exclusives and which werent to their conference at the last minute as they knew there would be a backlash coming at MS' poorly chosen wording.

I can't remember exactly how he said it but maybe it was like

"Rise of the Tomb Raider will be coming to Xbox One exclusively in 2015", as in, other consoles will get it in 2016?

But what would be the point in the trick phrasing? We'd know the truth long before the game was released.

Really, I was only half serious when I said this... but who cares, I'm happy it's coming to PS4.

This announcement that its a timed exclusive makes me think that Sony added that bit about fully clarifying which were exclusives and which werent to their conference at the last minute as they knew there would be a backlash coming at MS' poorly chosen wording.

To be fair I think both Microsoft and Sony made those distinctions clear in their E3 conferences, only there was a lot more riding on the TR announcement and it was, possibly intentionally, left ambiguous.

The weirdest thing about this whole debacle has to be that statement from Crystal Dynamics. Why write such a (long) dramatic piece of prose which reads almost as an apology, if its about to be rendered irrelevant? Reading it again now that we know the truth, I can't tell if he's clueless, trying to keep up a pointless lie or actually doesn't realise that everyone was concerned because they believed it was a permanent exclusive. The whole thing was very weird and certainly hasn't been very good PR for Microsoft. Hopefully they'll begin to see that the words "exclusive" are not something the general public is automatically going to meet with enthusiasm.

I think Microsoft are holding back their X1 sales figures because a lot less people have bought the console than the 'shipped' figures are letting on. If this is the case, they can't really afford to drop 360 support since so many people are still buying games for it..

That's true but at some point they have to cut their loses at some point to try and push people into buying Xbox Ones. It's a fine balance....obviously the way they just cut and run with the original Xbox is not the way to do it. I feel like Sony have always had a better approach, a couple of games released and then leave 3rd parties to it after that.

Quite surprised that there's going to be a 360 version. That's pretty good from the 360's perspective mind, the console that just keeps going and going. Still, hope it doesn't hamper the now-gen version of the game.

As long as the game doesn't come toooo late, I'll be glad to just play it. I'll be a bit pissed still if it only comes to PC or something after it hits the Xboxes, but I'm hopeful again for a PS4 release.

Panic slightly over.

Quite surprised that there's going to be a 360 version. That's pretty good from the 360's perspective mind, the console that just keeps going and going. Still, hope it doesn't hamper the now-gen version of the game.

I find the few recent 360 ports announced (this and The Crew) to be rather odd. Microsoft seemed to let the 360 die a horrible death in the year before the Xbox One was out, while Sony supported the PS3 really well.

That's true but at some point they have to cut their loses at some point to try and push people into buying Xbox Ones. It's a fine balance....obviously the way they just cut and run with the original Xbox is not the way to do it. I feel like Sony have always had a better approach, a couple of games released and then leave 3rd parties to it after that.

I don't really have any substance behind this guess, but I get the feeling that 360 fans aren't as bothered about upgrading as PS3 fans. The 360 was a more popular console over here and it felt like it resonated somewhat better with the more casual audience (the kind not as arsed about graphics). It was also cheaper, while the PS3 with its Blu Ray drive for quite a while made it quite a premium end device. I think the PS3 owners might be more likely to splash the cash on the next unit, helped as well by the PS4 seemingly being a more attractive deal to people (at least going by sales at the moment).

Not sure cutting off 360 soon would be viable, if people aren't going to upgrade yet.

I find the few recent 360 ports announced (this and The Crew) to be rather odd. Microsoft seemed to let the 360 die a horrible death in the year before the Xbox One was out, while Sony supported the PS3 really well.

Makes sense if you look at it this way,

They dropped support for 360 before the Xbox One launch because they thought the X1 would be successful.

Now they're picking up support for the 360 because it's not.

I thought Sony and Microsoft were only going to support the 360 and PS3's for a year after release of the PS4/XBox One. Guess i'm wrong on this.

No PS4 and PC action for some time apparently http://www.computerandvideogames.com/473808/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-isnt-coming-to-ps4-or-pc-crystal-dynamics-confirms/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10098&utm_term=2817484&utm_content=12070

But hey, can always buy the definitive version of Tomb Raider for the PS4, that's got to count for something... right?

Right?

No PS4 and PC action for some time apparently http://www.computerandvideogames.com/473808/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-isnt-coming-to-ps4-or-pc-crystal-dynamics-confirms/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10098&utm_term=2817484&utm_content=12070

But hey, can always buy the definitive version of Tomb Raider for the PS4, that's got to count for something... right?

Right?

Unless I'm missing something, this article was posted on Tuesday and hasn't been updated. So, it's just what was posted after the reveal, not really following on from the info released since about it being a timed exclusive.

I got 50p that says its on the PS4 and PC within six months of its release on the Xbone.

I got 50p that says its on the PS4 and PC within six months of its release on the Xbone.

Not so sure now. MS are publishing the game.

Microsoft will publish next year's Rise of the Tomb Raider, Square Enix has confirmed.

At E3 in June Microsoft and Square Enix announced Rise of the Tomb Raider would launch "holiday 2015 exclusively on Xbox".

Then, in a follow-up interview with Eurogamer, Spencer admitted the controversial deal "has a duration", suggesting timed exclusivity of some sort.

Angry gamers directed many of their comments towards Square Enix, accusing the publisher of selling out and alienating their PlayStation and PC-owning customers.

"Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," wrote Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr in June.

"We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft."

Then, yesterday, responding to a question on Twitter, Aaron Greenberg, boss of Microsoft's first and third-party games marketing team, said Microsoft was taking the extra step of publishing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The wording of Square Enix's statement suggests a Microsoft has made a significant investment in Rise of the Tomb Raider, which makes a degree of sense when you consider the game will likely go up against Sony's PS4 exclusive Uncharted 4 next Christmas.

It's worth returning to our interview with Spencer at E3. In it he said the deal was in part about the Xbox One having an answer to Uncharted. "Totally," he said. "I'm a big fan of Uncharted and I wish we had an action adventure game of that ilk. We've started some, and we've looked at them. But we don't have one today of that quality. This is an opportunity."

As for Square Enix, Spencer suggested the Japanese company's motivation to secure additional investment from Microsoft was in part about boosting the game's profile and success - comments now echoed by Square Enix's latest statement.

"Our partnership with Capcom around Dead Rising has been good for Dead Rising," he said. "We've been able to invest and to raise - maybe it's a bit egotistical - the notoriety of that franchise.

"Crystal has been investing in that game and Square has as well, in Tomb Raider as a franchise, and wanting to put it at the highest level, with the big triple-A franchises out there, but that's expensive.

"And they want to build that game up to the same level as any of the huge triple-A games out there. It used to a big dominant game. Crystal has done a great job in rebuilding it since '09, when they started kickstarting it, but continuing to invest at that level, it takes a partnership."

Square Enix is yet to comment on whether it will eventually release Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC or PS4.

Not so sure now. MS are publishing the game.

Ninja Gaiden II, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse were also published by Microsoft. This doesn't really change anything.

Crytek have also said that they could release Ryse on PS4.

Earlier, Amazon had the release date down as 13th November. It has now mysteriously changed back to a more vague Dec 2015.

Bad times if this is indeed the launch date. It's probably gonna get eaten alive by Star Wars: Battlefront. It's the first Battlefront game is AGES and it will be riding the new movie hype.

EDIT: Halo is also out in that month as well. Crazy.

Edited by Hero-of-Time