Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Maker

Hogge

So happy this is the real deal, but 2015? :shakehead I really would've expected it this year.

Yeah. I hope the delay is to flesh it out further, otherwise why not put it out now?

By flesh out, I mean add more enemies (Just Goombas and Koopa Troopers isn't enough), more backdrops, more options etc. Maybe more aesthetics.

1. Dr.Luigi is a puzzle game, not a platformer;

2. If you're referring to the recently revealed Kirby, that one has more to do with Lemmings than traditional 2D platformers.

Just saying.

I wrote 2D content, not 2D platformers.

Yeah. I hope the delay is to flesh it out further, otherwise why not put it out now?

By flesh out, I mean add more enemies (Just Goombas and Koopa Troopers isn't enough), more backdrops, more options etc. Maybe more aesthetics.

Seeing the stage this is at already I think there should be even more added to it really. They might as well include other franchises and evolve it into Nintendo Maker. :awesome:

Seeing the stage this is at already I think there should be even more added to it really. They might as well include other franchises and evolve it into Nintendo Maker. :awesome:

Na, nuts to that. Keep this Mario. Not everything should be crossovers :p

But what else could possibly justify this being a 2015 release? ::shrug:

Sorting out glitches, expanding so it actually has all elements of a Mario game in it.

If it was going to be a cross franchise game, it wouldn't have been announced as Mario Maker

Sorting out glitches, expanding so it actually has all elements of a Mario game in it.
I just don't see that stuff taking so long to do. :blank:

That, and I really want to play this now! :D

If it was going to be a cross franchise game, it wouldn't have been announced as Mario Maker
Good point. :heh:

I need to watch that treehouse section back in full, but that level the guy made where you bounce from koopa to koopa, then run back on yourself chasing a shell which brakes a block unlocking a trampoline (I think that's what happened) and then you bounce up and run along the very top to the flagpole was awesome :D

Tezuka has confirmed that there will be other aesthetics than the two current ones in it. Fantastic

"Obviously, there will be other graphical styles included and nothing's been decided yet, but I'd also like to include other graphics that aren't Mario. No, it won't be top-down (like Zelda) It's always going to be a 2D platformer."

- plans to integrate more enemy and object types

- hopes to include features similar to those of that of Mario Paint

- would like to add a music composition feature

- Tezuku says "sharing with friends is really the whole point of making levels"

- details on sharing have not been made public

Edited by Serebii

Tezuka has confirmed that there will be other aesthetics than the two current ones in it. Fantastic

"Obviously, there will be other graphical styles included and nothing's been decided yet, but I'd also like to include other graphics that aren't Mario. No, it won't be top-down (like Zelda) It's always going to be a 2D platformer."

- plans to integrate more enemy and object types

- hopes to include features similar to those of that of Mario Paint

- would like to add a music composition feature

- Tezuku says "sharing with friends is really the whole point of making levels"

- details on sharing have not been made public

Good stuff. icon14.gif

I was saying to Dakota how good would it be if it used Amiibo, put Samus figure in it and you get to play as Samus 8 bit sprite!! And so on!! Would absolutely love this so much. And music creation too... oh boy!!

Spiritual successor to NES Remix

Spiritual successor to NES Remix

Exactly, and although it would be amazing to make different types of games, I'd still be delighted with it still being for Mario physic'd 2D sidescrollers with just these characters skinned in... For me this would easily be the most exciting use of Amiibo figures!!

Quite an interesting bit of info from the Polygon interview.

Mario Maker was originally developed as a course-making tool for Nintendo's internal development teams, according to Nintendo's executive officer of its Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Takashi Tezuka.

Tezuka told Polygon the people on the tools team typically don't design video game courses — they only build the tools for Nintendo's game designers to use. In this particular instance, the tools team was working on a Mario course editing tool when they decided to pitch it to Tezuka as a standalone game.

"They brought the idea to me thinking it would be a great game idea because they had so much fun with [it]," Tezuka said.

Tezuka also told Polygon he'd been meaning to make a new Mario Paint game that uses the Wii U's GamePad, and he saw an opportunity in Mario Maker to make a game that encourages players creativity in a similar way to Mario Paint.

"There are lots of drawing utilities in the world, but does everybody like drawing? Not necessarily," he said. "In order to make a [Mario] course, all you have to do is put different parts together. It's not as difficult or out of reach as drawing is. Instead of creating another Mario Paint, when I saw this course editor, I was inspired to bring the fun of Mario Paint into this course editor to make something fun and creative for people to enjoy."

Tezuka said he completely expects people to be silly in their course designs and to create levels that are impossible to complete, and that's the point: Mario Maker isn't just about finishing courses, it's about enjoying the process of creating a course, no matter how silly or impractical it may be. He gave an example of a team of Nintendo employees who created a course that required Mario to run to the end of the course, then run back to the beginning, then run back to the end in order to complete it.

"We think this is a game that will showcase people's sense of imagination," he said. "Seeing the courses made by [those folks] made us realize it had much more potential than even we imagined."

• 5 months later...