NEurope
ReZourceman

Metroid Zero Mission

I couldn't find a single thread about this masterful game!

Hnnnnnngggggggggg. #JimBabur

It's so good.

Ridiculously good. It is the perfect fusion

LOL

of Fusion and Super Metroid + It's own thing.

I just did the bit where

You play as Zero Suit Samus and I

HNNNNGGGGGGG'd

and I just got the gravity suit and fully upgraded or whatever.

I could cry it's so good. Cannot believe this was the last 2D Metroid game.

This isn't the GBA VC one is it? I've never finished a 2d Metroid... How criminal.... What's the best order to do them in? Super Metroid first?

its ridiculous that they haven't made more metroid (2d) since this! at least if its the last they went out on a bang

still makes me wonder what Metroid Dread would have been like

This isn't the GBA VC one is it? I've never finished a 2d Metroid... How criminal.... What's the best order to do them in? Super Metroid first?

That's a tough one. I've just played the three good ones (not including NES...too old ETC) in quick succession (immediately after each other), Fusion, Super, Zero Mission.

I'd probably say you might as well go in chronological order of release. Super, Fusion, Zero.

I loved Fusion and Zero Mission.

I really should get around to properly playing Super Metroid. I own it and I've only played it for around 30 minutes.

The original Metroid is entirely skippable due to Zero Mission. Metroid 2 seems far too dated due to the lack of colour. It's a shame it never got the Link's Awakening DX treatment.

That's a tough one. I've just played the three good ones (not including NES...too old ETC) in quick succession (immediately after each other), Fusion, Super, Zero Mission.

I'd probably say you might as well go in chronological order of release. Super, Fusion, Zero.

And it was still amazing playing successively, didn't get Metroid'd out? Now I've finished the advance wars campaign I. Ay get stuck into super Metroid then.

I've become slightly obsessed and in love with it, so I haven't been Metroid'd out yet.

Just purchased Prime Trilogy, so I'll let you know when/if it happens.

This is one of my most wanted GBA games for the Wii U VC at the moment ever since replaying Metroid Fusion - which I'm still playing and is partly why VC Weekly is really late (new one going up tonight) - I have a hunger for Metroid games of late even though I've played through them all a fair few times.

To me Metroid is one of those near-perfect gaming series, I understand that it can divide people too and I respect that - even if as a Metroid fan I can't quite fathom it completely - but generally if you like one game in the series then you're sure to love all of them - I include Metroid Other M in that statement - because they each offer an excellent experience in their own way but the one thing that they all share is that key element of exploration and for the most part isolation which makes the series so absorbing.

Here's hoping Nintendo decide to make either 2014 or 2015 the year of Samus Aran as it really has been too long. : peace:

Told ya it was good. ;)

After the ZSS Smash reveal, I really wanted a new Metroid. Maybe one where you start as ZSS then get the suit.

I'd like to see a game that takes place after Fusion, I'm curious if what happens at the end heals her from the damage done when she gets infected by the X parasite.

Don't care if it's on 3DS or Wii U (although I really want a 2D sprite based game). Might give the Prime games a replay soon myself.

This game is actually the one that taught me to like Metroid. The first game I played in the series was Metroid Prime, which I enjoyed for a while, but eventually found overwhelming. Maybe I was just too used to series like The Legend of Zelda - having shops and villages etc - but (for me) Metroid Prime got to the point where every single moment of progression was laborious.

Then I thought "Maybe I'll try the 2D ones" and bought a copy of Zero Mission. From beginning to end, it just felt right - the controls, the gameplay, everything. What's more, it taught me the Metroid gameplay so well that I went back to the Prime series and had no trouble with them (even Echoes... Spider Guardian aside).

But Zero Mission is such a beautiful game - right up there with Fusion as my joint favourite (my actual favourite between them changes day-to-day). I think what Zero Mission has going for it are the colours and the tone, amongst other things. I've completed the NES original on 3DS, but I really do think Zero Mission renders it obsolete. As you progress through the game and you're stacking better and better beams, and getting more powerful missiles, it just gives the feeling that it's 2D gaming perfection.

Playing Zero Mission makes me think "How can a game this good not be more celebrated? Why don't Nintendo make more?" It's been 10 years now, and my heart sinks a little bit every time they unveil a platformer that's not Metroid V. Although like some others, I don't think a textured polygon "2.5D" approach would quite cut it. Side-scrolling Metroid is almost as much about the beautiful sprite work as it is about the gameplay - Zero Mission is the pinnacle of both, and so my hope remains that one day it'll be bettered.

Hnnnnnngggggggggg. #JimBabur

It's so good.

Ridiculously good. It is the perfect fusion

LOL

of Fusion and Super Metroid + It's own thing.

I just did the bit where

You play as Zero Suit Samus and I

HNNNNGGGGGGG'd

and I just got the gravity suit and fully upgraded or whatever.

I could cry it's so good. Cannot believe this was the last 2D Metroid game.

Fucking LOL at the Hnnnnnnnnnng bits and the hash tag. Genuinely opened this thread and burst out laughing.

I need to get my hands on this game, somehow. To my shame, I've never played it.

It's a shame it never got the Link's Awakening DX treatment.

Nuts, forgot to mention this in my last post, but apparently there was some sort of colour version but it got canned. :(

You guys haven't experienced MZM until you've done the 9% Hard Mode run...

... MOTHER OF GOD IS IT HARD!!! :shakehead I don't think I could bring myself to do that ever again :shakehead

It actually makes the Metroid Fusion 1% run look tame by comparison! :o

I wouldn't personally consider that chronological. Makes more sense to me to start with Zero Mission.

I need to get my hands on this game, somehow. To my shame, I've never played it.

I'd be willing to lend you the GBA cartridge if I could be sure I'd get it back :heh:

This game is on my list to purchase along with a Gameboy Advance SP. And it's also one i'm ashamed to say i never played, which i feel ashamed to say.

So what's the real difference between this and the first game on the NES? I've played through the original already, and it was surprisingly good with a map and the Restore Point function...

So what's the real difference between this and the first game on the NES? I've played through the original already, and it was surprisingly good with a map and the Restore Point function...

It has the graphics and gameplay from Metroid Fusion, as well as an extra bit at the end.

Well every room doesn't look exactly the same any more for starters. :p

Zero Mission is an entirely original game that re-tells the story of Metroid on NES and re-uses the same general setting & characters; but the entire game is completely different.

Much like the difference between Castlevania and Super Castlevania 4; it uses the same general story and environments, but the level designs and general gameplay are completely original. It's not really a "remake" in the traditional sense, but a standalone game that re-tells the tale of Metroid 1.

Ok, well that sounds pretty cool. They haven't announced this yet for the Wii U VC, have they?

I actually played the original after playing zero suit. It´s like people above have already posted, the original is the basis but it expands heavily upon it. That said, there´s plenty stuff that will look familiar. I actually found a secret missile on the original because it was in the same spot in Zero mission! It´s probably worth mentioning that I personally enjoyed the original even after playing all the other games first.

Metroid 2 seems far too dated due to the lack of colour. It's a shame it never got the Link's Awakening DX treatment.

It's not that great a game, so it's not a huge loss.

As for the topic, yes, Zero Mission is godly.

SM and Prime (1) are better, but only barely. Top tier Metroid, no doubt.

Well you know, it is quite old. Pre-forum software transfer old :p I mean... if you'd really looked...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040427073601/http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/cubeeurope/index.cgi?board=gbad&action=messageindex&start=90

Here's a good'un

http://web.archive.org/web/20040427063828/http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/cubeeurope/index.cgi?board=gbad&action=display&num=1076029649

I didn't really like Super Metroid. Played it after Fusion and ZM and found it a bit slow and clunky to be honest.

I really should try to get into it again as I'm sure there's a great game there.