NEurope
ReZourceman

Metroid Zero Mission

So what's the real difference between this and the first game on the NES? I've played through the original already, and it was surprisingly good with a map and the Restore Point function...

Apart from better graphics and controls, it has more bosses and mini-bosses. I actually think the mini-bosses make all the difference.

I don't think I've ever been as desperate to play a game as I was to play Zero Mission in 2004. I remember a rom leaked or something, or the game was out somewhere else before PAL (I forget exactly) and I was so eager I rushed through part of the game on an emulator just to get to this area, because I wanted to hear the music remix.

After that I just waited until I had the retail copy in my hands and then played it over and over until I got every ending.

It doesn't quite pip Super Metroid for me as for me SM's atmosphere is untouchable and the game is the perfect blend of horror, sci fi and adventure, however it does have the best gameplay of any 2D Metroid. I loved how they embraced sequence breaking as a concept too.

The fact we live in a world where it's been 10 fucking years since the last 2D Metroid is near incomprehensible to me and thoroughly maddening.

I genuinely can't recall much, if anything, about the game now but when I played through it for the first time a few years ago, I thought it was awesome and I remember enjoying it more than Metroid Fusion :hehe:

The fact we live in a world where it's been 10 fucking years since the last 2D Metroid is near incomprehensible to me and thoroughly maddening.

No worries, it's only a matter of time until Nintendo announces New Metroid Yarn (Bros.)...

Every so often I harp on about this, but the fact there wasn't a 2D Metroid on the DS makes absolutely no sense to me. No sense at all. The possibilities...

-Castlevania level visual fidelity

-Improved sound for even greater moody atmosphere

-Dual screen gameplay (imagine wall jumping or shinesparking between 2 screens)

-Genuinely good touch screen enhancements e.g. mark an area on a map you know has a secret you can't access yet.

I mean that's just scratching the surface. The DS was the perfect fit for 2D Metroid. There was so much potential...so much...

-Dual screen gameplay (imagine wall jumping or shinesparking between 2 screens)

Don't know if I'm alone on this, but I hate games that use both screens to show the action, leaving an unknown space in the middle, as it were. It ruined Yoshi's Island on the DS and the bits in Dream Team Bros where you turn the DS on its side are the most frustrating part of the game.

I just can't gauge what is supposed to be in the middle.

Metroid Zero Mission is a bitchin' game. It feels a lot like Super Metroid at times, which is excellent, except the controls are better in ZM (aside from having to learn how to grip cliffs). Plus the Chozo & Pirate ship segments were something I wasn't expecting at all.

In fact, there should be a 2D Metroid where sneaking into overwhelming enemy bases should be a more common thing. That is where they were going with Fusion's ending, right? The federation and shit?

I'd be willing to lend you the GBA cartridge if I could be sure I'd get it back :heh:

Awesome offer, brah. Buuuuut, I'm going to have to decline, unless you particularly want your cartridge to be of a different colour by the time it got back to you.

TO EBAY.