N-Europe

Scottish Independence

Charlie

Hm, regarding Team GB, depends on the technicality behind the name. Scotland is looking for independence from the United Kingdom but Great Britain is really just a geographical reference, right? :p

(This is about all I care about on the matter: semantics)

Hm, regarding Team GB, depends on the technicality behind the name. Scotland is looking for independence from the United Kingdom but Great Britain is really just a geographical reference, right? :p

(This is about all I care about on the matter: semantics)

I think that the Northern Irish have been complaining about Team GB since the brand was created because the name doesn't include them but the team does. :P

Second question:

If the vote is a NO, and even more if it's a resounding NO, then where does that leave the SNP? What effect will that have on their political stance?

I can't help but feel that Salmon'd position will be incredibly compromised as everything he's done as First Minister is leading towards independence.

If he does lose I hope he takes it well and moves on. This is meant to be the referendum end all discussion. The result here is the one that we will move forward to. I don't want another referendum in 10 years time if this is a No vote.

I can't help but feel that Salmon'd position will be incredibly compromised as everything he's done as First Minister is leading towards independence.

If he does lose I hope he takes it well and moves on. This is meant to be the referendum end all discussion. The result here is the one that we will move forward to. I don't want another referendum in 10 years time if this is a No vote.

Would you want another referendum if it is a Yes vote?

It does annoy me with these kind of things, like Ireland a few years back, voted against what the EU wanted, so they were given another try, to get the right answer. The whole point of a referendum is to allow a population to have it's say, otherwise it may as well be a survey. I guess the actual point is to get evidence of popular support for legislation, not to gather evidence to the contrary.

I don't know the legal stuff as to whether a second referendum can be called or not, but I do think that a referendum should be more about the percentage of the population that vote rather than the population of voters... but I guess that's an ongoing issue anyway..?

I also think that scottish independance could be a lot stronger a decade down teh line if it's a no vote and if Salmond continues to push the correct buttons. if there's a genuine bunch o' reasons for it and it just takes time to prove it to the scottish public, then fair enough. But if salmond loses this ref and just withers away then it damages any chance of independance for a long time.

Why is Salmond ignoring all opposition and answering them like a child "i know you are but what am i" type responses!

The European Comission President Barroso has said it would be "extremelty difficult, if not impossible" for Scotland to join the EU, they would have to go through the normal process of applying and having all member states vote on if they can join, then the usual periods to wait etc.....thats contray to Salmolds claim that it will automatically join.....and Salmond's reponse to the EU Comission President (the bloke who should and does know) was that "it's prety proposterous"

Thats akin to going to a mechanic with a wheel hanging off, being told X,Y & Z need doing, and responding with don't be rediculous it will T cut out

He comes off as a joke with that sort of school yard response

And then today with his response to the currency issue, basically slams it say's it will cost business and calls it a george tax to deflect all blame on to George Osborne, whilst providing no alternate, no proper argument to keep it and change the other parties minds.....what is he doing?

To keep a currency union he needs to get the agreement of the current and/or future government, and his plan to win them over is to stick his fingers in his ears and hurl insults?

i can't calim to fully understand ll the financial aspects of currency union, or its potential implications and ramifications, but reading through the bbc's information on this, Scotland would be far better off in a currency union, but it wouldn't give them full independance with the bank of England conrolling its currency, that Salmond so desires. Either way however it can only be done by agreement, and surely bullying and resorting to common political smearing of people (who make this decision) is not exactly going to do him any favours and change minds....

I fear an independant Scotland, because the more i hear from AS, the more i think his only policy is independence and once he's got it, he has not future plans

Why is Salmond ignoring all opposition and answering them like a child "i know you are but what am i" type responses!

Basically because the vast majority of people in the country are idiots and will believe anything he tells them regardless of facts and sources.

I don't know the legal stuff as to whether a second referendum can be called or not, but I do think that a referendum should be more about the percentage of the population that vote rather than the population of voters... but I guess that's an ongoing issue anyway..?

Constitutional issues are reserved to Westminster. Westminster as since allowed the Scottish Parliament to call a referendum.

If the result of the referendum is a no then the matter would still be reserved to Westminster and it would be up to Westminster to allow another one.

The UK Parliament is also the only body that can make independence happen. A yes vote does not enact independence as referendums in the UK do not have any legal effect. Westminster will have to pass legislation to repeal the Act of Union. It is only when this legislation has received Royal Assent and then come into force would the UK as we now know it be no more.

Interesting article regarding a potential currency union:

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/02/16/the-snps-currency-nightmare/

I am amazed at the SNP's response to George Osbourne's speech about a currency union. It just comes across as Alex Salmond and co sticking their fingers in their ears going "la la la not listening currency union totes going to happen they're just big meanies and are liars and bullies".

I'm no expert in politics, but if I were the SNP I would have responded with something along the lines of "well a currency union would be our preferred choice as we see it as beneficial to both an independent Scotland and rUK, but if that is not feasible then we would initially peg our new currency to the Sterling on a temporary basis and then consider our options - that could be adopting the Euro or creating our own centrally controlled currency". There! No difficult!

The SNP also do not realise that the decision of a currency union is not their's to make. They cannot force rUK into a currency union if rUK does not want it. And judging by a lot of people's reactions, the UK electorate would not allow it and Parliament would not pass the legislation.

Constitutional issues are reserved to Westminster. Westminster as since allowed the Scottish Parliament to call a referendum.

If the result of the referendum is a no then the matter would still be reserved to Westminster and it would be up to Westminster to allow another one.

The UK Parliament is also the only body that can make independence happen. A yes vote does not enact independence as referendums in the UK do not have any legal effect. Westminster will have to pass legislation to repeal the Act of Union. It is only when this legislation has received Royal Assent and then come into force would the UK as we now know it be no more.

I think all of what you have said is correct by Westminster has told the SNP / devolved Scottish Parliament that they can have a referendum and whatever the result they will move forward with it and won't block a yes vote.

I think all of what you have said is correct by Westminster has told the SNP / devolved Scottish Parliament that they can have a referendum and whatever the result they will move forward with it and won't block a yes vote.

Yeah they wont block a yes vote. It would be political suicide.

Basically because the vast majority of people in the country are idiots and will believe anything he tells them regardless of facts and sources.

Very brave of you Charlie to talk down about your country on an online forum. Would love to see you expressing these views out on the street, that would be fun at least for those watching.

As for these idiots that Scotland is supposed to be full of I bet there more of them in your family than in mine.

Very brave of you Charlie to talk down about your country on an online forum. Would love to see you expressing these views out on the street, that would be fun at least for those watching.

As for these idiots that Scotland is supposed to be full of I bet there more of them in your family than in mine.

Bit of an extreme response, no? I'd say Charlie's comments are quite applicable to anything anywhere! I'd certainly say the same of England, myself. In a system where pretty much every free adult has the vote; do you also believe that every one of those adults is fully informed politically as well?

Bit of an extreme response, no? I'd say Charlie's comments are quite applicable to anything anywhere! I'd certainly say the same of England, myself. In a system where pretty much every free adult has the vote; do you also believe that every one of those adults is fully informed politically as well?

Yes there are plenty of ignorant people out there I understand that. Plenty of voters don't even understand that if they are living in a 'safe' seat then to vote for any party other than the incumbent one is a completely wasted vote.

At least the Scottish voting system is fairer with msp's being allocated seats partly based on the share of the vote. The lib dems attempt to change the voting system was a farce who would vote for a voting system that cannot even be explained to the public.

As to this fearmongering over Tory rule forever please try thinking logically. If the tories refuse to re-negotiate over constituency bounderies then they will pay the price later. A one party state is not a democracy and eventually the tories would fail to get the majority they need to govern and a Labour and lib dem co-alition would then take the opportunity to get revenge and re-draw the boundaries to ensure a tory win would be a near impossibility in the future.