NEurope
bluey

Not always right

Someone was filling a form in today, and he called us three separate times, and coincidentally got through to me all three times. He said he would owe me a beer after all this. My stories aren't as good as yours.

I get this one probably a couple of times a week. It makes me want to punch them. Now....really, the type of people who say this are NICE or alright, so I'd rather them than a pissing/moaner, but it still makes me shudder everytime I hear it.....

Good Afternoon, customer services, Michael speaking how can I help?

Oh, hello Michael, well you're speaking to Michael this end too haha!

What I wish I could say;

Oh wow fuck! Your name is Michael too?! One of the most common fucking names in the world, and somehow two people named Michael are now interacting! This is fucking INCREDIBLE sir, we must alert the press!!

@bluey, I think I might be alone in this, but I think what you did was lame. You ruined the kid's fun all for the sake of being PC. Boo! He was 11, not 7...

=P

urm... from the "=P" smiley i'd guess this was a joke, but just incase you're serious, i actually *have* to inform parents of game ratings if i suspect they're buying the game for someone who's underaged... it proves i've shown due diligence in the unlikely event of the parent then complaining...

honestly tho, even if i didn't have to under the company policy, i would have mentioned it - i think it's a huge problem that parents are under/misinformed when it comes to games ratings and (aside from the obvious THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! reasons) it leaves online communities for such games swamped with foul mouthed little brats who can't handle decent competition and basically ruin the rest of the game for others..

a la THIS article n' stuff...

aside from all those good reasons... i also enjoyed ruining his day.

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

WWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

BAAAAHAH..

:laughing:

It's not being PC at all. There's a reason that it's against the law for an 11 year old to play those games. An 11 year old should certainly not be playing a game where gratuitous violence, mass murder and hooker loving is the main theme.

Fair enough if he was 15/16, then your argument would stand, but not 11.

Additionally, it's not like she was following them round the store to prevent them buying it, she was merely helping the mother make an informed decision about parenting.

It's against the law? What a joke... I thought it was a suggestion, like the parental advisory stickers. The parents and only the parents should get to decide what their child can or cannot play. Are you serious? Is this really a law? oO

As for the age thing, give me a fucking break, our generation grew up exposed to the most gruesome and violent stuff ever since we were little kids and we turned out just fine (in fact, most of the screwed up people I do know had very sheltered childhoods, which essentially made them a threat to themselves as soon as they reached independence). This is PC obsessiveness and nothing else. If we could watch Terminator 2 at 5 years old, kids nowadays can certainly play GTA at 11. He's in the sixth grade, what is GTA gonna teach him that he hasn't already learned from his mates at school?

urm... from the "=P" smiley i'd guess this was a joke, but just incase you're serious, i actually *have* to inform parents of game ratings if i suspect they're buying the game for someone who's underaged... it proves i've shown due diligence in the unlikely event of the parent then complaining...

honestly tho, even if i didn't have to under the company policy, i would have mentioned it - i think it's a huge problem that parents are under/misinformed when it comes to games ratings and (aside from the obvious THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! reasons) it leaves online communities for such games swamped with foul mouthed little brats who can't handle decent competition and basically ruin the rest of the game for others..

a la THIS article n' stuff...

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

WWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

BAAAAHAH..

Nah, the smiley was merely there for "no hard feelings" purposes.

It's all good, I understand what you did and why you did it. I just don't agree. Or rather, I'm too much of a libertine to allow myself to agree. I do agree we should preserve our children's, well, childhood... but he's 11, there's nothing in GTA that would've harmed him. I know it's your job and all, but if it'd been me I'd have just winked at him as soon as he put his foot in his mouth. Job be damned. :D

Not sure what I was supposed to get out of that article, though... I hate that kind of sheltered suburban white family overthinking. It's just entertainment, ffs (and dumb entertainment to boot).

Yes, I'm aware I'm a sociopath. I just have no patience for this type of fabricated cultural bullshit everyone buys into.

But fret not, you're a cool gal and I'm not seriously annoyed or anything about this, I just see it differently, I guess. Irrelevant arguing. ^^

It's against the law? What a joke... I thought it was a suggestion, like the parental advisory stickers. The parents and only the parents should get to decide what their child can or cannot play. Are you serious? Is this really a law? oO

As for the age thing, give me a fucking break, our generation grew up exposed to the most gruesome and violent stuff ever since we were little kids and we turned out just fine (in fact, most of the screwed up people I do know had very sheltered childhoods, which essentially made them a threat to themselves as soon as they reached independence). This is PC obsessiveness and nothing else. If we could watch Terminator 2 at 5 years old, kids nowadays can certainly play GTA at 11. He's in the sixth grade, what is GTA gonna teach him that he hasn't already learned from his mates at school?

It's against the law to buy them, not to play them. Don't know why I typed that.

There's a difference between being sheltered, and allowing parents to make an informed decision. If he's playing those games without his parents knowing what they are, then he's clearly not been properly educated on the matter.

our generation grew up exposed to the most gruesome and violent stuff ever since we were little kids and we turned out just fine

Yes, I'm aware I'm a sociopath.

Just gonna leave this bit here.

I'm with Moogle and bluey on this one, despite how much it irked me growing up. I never really played the GTAs, but hearing about some of the stuff in the current one I definitely think it would have been more than I would have 'known' about when I was 11, and I wouldn't say I was particularly sheltered(though no wild tearaway either) at that point in my life. Maybe 14-15 depending on the kid for an 18, and if I was a parent I'd ensure I was aware of contect etc before making that decision for my child. Hopefully, anyway.

in fact, most of the screwed up people I do know had very sheltered childhoods, which essentially made them a threat to themselves as soon as they reached independence

Uh oh, here come the anecdotes. Let's leave it to the professionals to decide whether it's generally a bad thing to assume all young people ever are ok with this sort of thing, eh?

If we could watch Terminator 2 at 5 years old, kids nowadays can certainly play GTA at 11. He's in the sixth grade, what is GTA gonna teach him that he hasn't already learned from his mates at school?

Just gonna come back to this point. You can't seriously compare GTA to Terminator 2. T2 is a 15. Additionally, T2 doesn't glorify the role of the bad guy. Are you seriously suggesting that an 11 year old is mature enough not to be influenced by the fun times had by murdering passers by and stealing shit?

Also, I totally disagree with the age rating systems. Thankfully, I never had any real issues with it, but my kids can play and see everything they want if I ever get them. The parents should be there to guide them, but they still should be free to learn from their own experiences and mistakes.

Will you let them watch any film they want? Playing games is probably worse because you actually carry out the acts you want. Parents are there to supervise their kids. Kids shouldn't be allowed to see or hear absolutely everything, there needs to be a filter of some sort. These government approved age ratings are the filter.

Looks like it's got a couple of sister sites, NotAlwaysLearning is currently amusing me somewhat.

I find that NotAlwaysRomantic often puts a goofy smile on my face and fuzzy feelings in my heart. (My romantic life is lived vicariously. #foreveralone)

this debate is.......

I'd rather we had more strick laws on age ratings, that way the next time a kid shoots his Grandmother in the Us the focus won't be "GTAV CAUSES VIOLENCE" it will shift back to how did they get the gun and/or get an age restricted product

i'd never buy booze or cig's for a kid, so i'd never buy them something else age rated

anyway

today at work i answered the phone of the bloke sat next to me,as he was out on his lunch and it was some woman wanting to complain about something.

The specifics are irrelevant....but during the call she went on about government cover ups, the biggest being how the local hospital experimented on her son and had abused him, and how we were all in it together the police the council the press all covering it up......

:hmm:

i've just wasted so much time on that website!

all those i don't work here ones are awesome! i get that when i go to the nearby shopping centre a lot because i'm in a shirt and tie with a lanyard nametag! now i want it to happen again so i can post a hilarious story! i'm going to see if i can get myself fired lol

oh god

Providing Extra Service

CLOTHING STORE | NEW YORK, NY, USA | EXTRA STUPID, TOP

(I work at a cash register at a fairly popular clothing store. A customer walks up to me with a t-shirt in hand.)

Customer: “Do you have this in size extra-medium?”

Me: *stares blankly* “An extra-medium?”

Customer: “Yeah. The medium just doesn’t fit.”

Me: “Is it too big?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Is it too small?”

Customer: “No.”

Me: “Then what’s wrong with it?”

Customer: “It’s not medium enough.”

Me: “I’ll see what I can do about that.”

(I take the shirt into the back room and take out a sharpie. I carefully draw an ‘X’ in front of the ‘M’ on the tag of the shirt. I then return and hand the shirt to the customer. He checks the tag, then goes and tries it on in the fitting room. I see him again at the checkout counter.)

Me: “Were you happy with your shirt?”

Customer: “Yeah. That extra-medium fits so much better than the medium!”

that physically is hurting my brain trying to understand

Maybe we should just go back to discussing how stupid customers are...

Maybe we should just go back to discussing how stupid customers are...

Agreed, on that note I was serving at the basket checkout at work, I happened to be serving an older woman with a trolley who only had less than 10 items anyway - she used a trolley because it makes it easier to get around - and a middle-aged foreign woman with no manners starts kicking up a fuss, hurling abuse at both me and the customer who I am trying to serve.

She eventually walks off and goes to pay for her two items elsewhere, she then comes back after paying to hurl more abuse and to inform me that she is 'going to speak to the manager' I simply reply with 'Ok...' and that was that.

I'm only paid to serve, not to deal with bullshit. :indeed:

I'm not a fan of thread rips so won't be doing it. You guys can take responsibility over your own threads. As both lots of discussion are interesting, why don't one of you make up a new thread yourself? I nominate OxyWaste.

Bluey, that website is amazing. I spent a good hour on there the other night.

When i had more time, i spent hours on that website too. Very addictive.

Going through the Hall of Fame, loved this one:

Mama Puts A Stammer In Your Swagger

Retail | OH, USA | At The Checkout, Awesome Customers, Family & Kids, Rude & Risque, Top

(I’m up working the cash register on a slow day, when a teenage boy comes up. He looks to be about 14. He’s sagging his pants, trying to look tough.)

Customer: “Hey, baby.”

Me: “Hi there, sir. How can I help you today?”

Customer: *leans on the counter* “You can get me your number.”

(I’m 25, and engaged.)

Me: “Sorry, but that’s not going to happen. Can I help you with anything else?”

Customer: “Why the f*** not, you stupid b****?!”

Me: “One: That would be illegal. Two: I am happily engaged. And three: even if I ignore the first two, it’s against company policy.”

Customer: “You’re a f***ing b****! You should be happy I want a piece of your a**!”

(As the customer continues ranting and raving, a woman appears behind him. She reaches out and taps his shoulder twice.)

Customer: “What the f*** do you want—”

(He turns around. All the color drains from his face. He manages to squeak out some words.)

Customer: “Hi, mama.”

(She smacks him across the face.)

Customer’s Mom: “I did not raise you to be a self-entitled douche-bag! I did not raise you to think you are better than this poor girl!” *she grabs him by the ear, and shoves him against the counter, facing me* “Now, apologize!”

Customer: “But mom!”

Customer’s Mom: “Now!”

(He looks close to tears. He mumbles out how sorry he is, and how it wasn’t fair of him to treat me like a piece of meat. His mom, by his ear, pushes him towards the door.)

Customer’s Mom: “Go.”

(He walks out of the store, ready to cry. She turns to me, gives me a huge smile, apologizes again, and even buys me a gift card. Apparently there are some good parents still out there!)

So, a guy comes into the store the other day and is talking to me and my colleague, who i shall name jim. jim is quite a feminine guy but identifies as straight. The customer is quite a blokey-bloke. Jim walks away from the conversation briefly and then bounces back over to us and basically does a little pirouette and jazz hands to announce that he's back in the conversation.

customer: woah! that was... the CAMPEST thing i've ever seen.

the customer then goes on to tell this C&B story about how, when he was a policeman he outed one of his fellow workmates by noticing little "telltale signs" in his mannerisms - he goes on to explain that gay guys smoke in a certain way - he thinks they hold their cigarettes lower down than "normal people" and they also do a little head flick away from the cigarette when they finish a drag - he demonstrates with his index and middle finger and an imaginary cigarette. the conversation is clearly upsetting my colleague and making him pretty uncomfortable since it was directly followed by the customer saying how "camp" his mannerisms were... jim takes it that the customer is implying that he's "secretly" gay

jim: w- well, *i* don't smoke like that...you can't honestly think you can tell-

me: (in a voice SO tinged with deadpan sarcasm Wednesday Adams would've been proud) no, no - that's totally correct - how people smoke a cigarette is a totally accurate way to tell if they're gay or not - my lesbian friend... when she smokes, she goes like this:

i hold up my two fingers with an imaginary cigarette, go to take a drag, but instead stick my tongue in between my two fingers. jim nearly falls over laughing and i just give the customer a "do you see how stupid your theory was?" look. i don't know if he got it, but at least i made jim feel better and diffused a potentially REALLY bad argument.

I'm not a fan of thread rips so won't be doing it. You guys can take responsibility over your own threads. As both lots of discussion are interesting, why don't one of you make up a new thread yourself? I nominate OxyWaste.

Bluey, that website is amazing. I spent a good hour on there the other night.

I wanted to thrip it earlier, but I was tired and didn't wish to mess it up. Whilst I do share some sentiment, it seems the thread was unable to regulate itself beyond a point and I've now done a thrip.

I find that NotAlwaysRomantic often puts a goofy smile on my face and fuzzy feelings in my heart. (My romantic life is lived vicariously. #foreveralone)

I read it for a bit, but I found more miss than hits for me. I'm quite enjoying reading http://notalwaysworking.com/ for the flipside to NotAlwaysRight; showing where customer service has been terrible/amusing.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

WWWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

BAAAAHAH..

The fact you take such pleasure in ruining an 11-year-old kid's day is utterly pathetic.

Fair enough, it's your job not to serve him the game. But to actually get some kick out of ruining his day is rather illuminating.

I often look after one of my friend's children and sometimes I have to put the boot of authority down. However I never get a kick out of it or feel happy at seeing a kid put in their place.