N-Europe

Taking the easy option

Ashley

Got emailed a job advert by two different people at the uni that I used to work for. I won't apply as its not what I want to do with my life, but in some regards its tempting.

I can't help but think I could just enjoy the money for a bit, enjoy the company (as in the people, not the institution) and enjoy the ever-flowing wine and cake rather than spend all my time worrying about money, trying to find clients etc.

As I said, I won't be taking it but man, the easy route is so tempting at times. I seem to keep getting offered IT jobs that I don't want (Cartoon Network role, offered to move to another team at my current uni, head hunted a few times) - and I know how 'woe is me' that sounds - but at times its hard to stick to my guns and try and go down this creative path.

What about yourselves? Ever been faced with an easy choice and a more difficult one?

#procrastinatingfromaforementionedcreativework

#hashtagstoannoyflink

Feeling a bit similar to you. Leaving teaching was a hard choice to make, but I'm glad I made it as I really wasn't happy with what I was doing. I've signed up to a supply agency begrudgingly until something else appears.

Okay, so here's my story. I've tried to cut it as short as I can.

In my first year of uni in Lincoln I dated a guy (Matt) who I worshipped. At the end of the year he graduated he cut all contact and moved to China.

Fast forward 4 years, and I've moved to Liverpool. I was with a boyfriend (Danny) that I was no longer happy with. He was like my best friend but there was no passion there. I just didn't fancy him.

I went to Manchester Uni for an open day thing and bumped into Matt. I'd often dreamt about doing this, but never actually thought it was possible. My heart was racing. I said Hi and we had a few drinks, I missed the last train back home and ended up sleeping at his. Nothing sexual happened, it could have. But I told him I couldn't

When I got home, I spoke with Danny and we both decided the relationship wasn't working and we broke it. I began seeing Matt again and kept a difficult friendship with Danny.

It was coming up to the end of my temporary job in Liverpool, and I hadn't managed to secure a job anywhere for next year. My only option at the time was to move home with my parents, who I didn't get along very well with. I was worrying lots about money, and didn't know what to do. Danny suggested that I move to Sheffield with him, where he had recently secured a PHD. The condition was that I had to phone Matt up and tell him I didn't want to see him ever again.

I took the easy option.

Six months later and I'm living in Sheffield, I couldn't sleep at night. I'd wait until Danny had fallen asleep and I'd stay up late just crying. I later found out he'd been cheating on me by sneaking into the bathroom and video chatting with various female friends.

This was the final wake up call I needed. I moved out and got a house share in Sheffield, which I paid for with a part time job I had.

Oh, the easy option. Could've gone with that a couple of months ago and stayed at my former job (Air Traffic Controller).

But - as some of you know - I quit. And soon I'll be a student at a university and study Biotechnology.

This is a more difficult route I'm taking. At least 3 years with little money, with a lot of learning to do, making compromises.

But damn it, right now it feels like the best choice I've ever made.

Yeah, it could go downhill, if I don't like it, but I'm sure I will. :yay:

Have always taken the easy option, not only when it comes to my jobs - or rather job, since I've only had one - but also in my personal life.

Never again.

I'm currently in a job I don't really want. I don't hate it, and the people I work with are good, but I just don't like it either. Also I hate living in Oxford, which I think is the biggest factor. I get by by skiving off of work when possible, some days playing table tennis for two hours.

However i'm sticking with it for the time being. I've only been here 8 months, so i don't want it to be a black mark on my CV if I move too early. Instead I'm going to give it a few more months, and then start applying for jobs. Probably sometime in early 2014. I'll have been here for over a year by then, and by the time I find somewhere it will be around 18 months, which i think is a decent length of time for my first graduate job.

Sometimes it's good to take the easy way out, but only if you can use it to your advantage. For example, take the job part time, so you'll have some guaranteed money coming in while you concentrate on your own business.

I'm currently in a job I don't really want. I don't hate it, and the people I work with are good, but I just don't like it either. Also I hate living in Oxford, which I think is the biggest factor. I get by by skiving off of work when possible, some days playing table tennis for two hours.

However i'm sticking with it for the time being. I've only been here 8 months, so i don't want it to be a black mark on my CV if I move too early. Instead I'm going to give it a few more months, and then start applying for jobs. Probably sometime in early 2014. I'll have been here for over a year by then, and by the time I find somewhere it will be around 18 months, which i think is a decent length of time for my first graduate job.

Sometimes it's good to take the easy way out, but only if you can use it to your advantage. For example, take the job part time, so you'll have some guaranteed money coming in while you concentrate on your own business.

I was in a similar position. My dad said that you can move if its under a year but as long as it shows a clear step up in your career path.

My first job I didn't really like but stuck with it for a year and then looked for another job. Found one and started 3 months later.

Hmm. Irony, I guess. I work less than 30 hours a week, I go in when I like, I leave when I like, I take days off when I like(such as today, in fact!). When I'm not working I'm not earning, and many people tell me I could be working harder and I could probably be earning harder too if I decided to pursue something solid - but I don't. I love where I work(lovely people), what I do, and how I manage myself(ie completely as I wish as long as my work is done). I don't technically have a guarantee of work the next day, but I've been there more than 2 years now in the same setup.

I'm not pursuing anything, as you seem to be, yet many will tell you that right now, *I'm* taking the easy way out.

And I am. But I don't care. I'm happy with it, I like it. I'll answer to the consequences of my actions later, and I won't blame anyone else. People seem to find it hard to understand that when they're all telling me what to do. They can go fuck 'emselves, they don't have to live with being me in 5, 10, 20, 40 years etc.

Working life, I've not taken the easy option. Both my two full-time jobs have been hard to get and moving wasn't an easy choice. Its something I've resented with those who have been born here. So jealous.

Anyway, easy choices, I think sometimes its a case of 'why not?'. Why struggle all your life when you could have it easier? However, really I cannot recall the last time a major life decision I made was the easy way out. Its just not who I am and whilst there have been little things here and there, in my work and my home I've tried to do everything the hard way, which annoys me no end.

I think maybe in the future, moving country would be the easy way out, instead of sticking with things and seeing how they go, I'd just cop out and leave, but as of yet I'm trying to make Cambridge work.

I quit my job a couple of weeks back and went back to education. It's scary to think i've got 4 or 5 years of this ahead but after 7 years of full time work in a job I despised. I'm looking forward to the change. Not sure if what I did would be the hard way or easy way.

It's all about not shying away from the right/best path simply because it's difficult. I've had that theory in my head for a while, but a couple of important things I've learned on the subject:

1: The hard way is not necessarily the best way. As I've learned from my stay in Germany, what is apparently good for me might not be so after all. Brazil and the US are now higher in my list of prospective future workplaces.

2: Just because I'm currently in an easy part of the way, I should never treat it as if it is easy.

Just a few musings, I guess.

Small bump!

I feel like this right now, taking the easy option.

First of all I have sort of been doing it for a year and a half now. I have a job, I have a steady income every month. Which is great. However it is not exactly a job I wish to stay in for the rest of my life, plus the pay is kinda shit. However, starting out as a freelancer is extremely risky, I would have no idea where to start and I have no clue how to even get jobs going. So it is something I have been putting off.

Now in my current job, there are some openings coming up for Quality Assessors and of course everyone is applying for them as it is a small step up from being an Agent. My colleague (who already just got given a QA role to start on in a few weeks) is pushing me to apply for the position, but I seem to really have my doubts about it and can't make up my mind.

Pros:

- I think it is about £1000 more per year, before tax. Not a massive jump, but better than nothing.

- I wouldn't really be dealing with customers anymore (I think).

- I have already been doing some of the stuff from this new role (benchmarking and Customer Survey analysis).

- It would be a new challenge and nice on my CV.

Cons:

- I feel quite comfortable in the job I am in right now as it is something I am good at. I have no clue what I would be doing exactly in the new role.

- It seems that the new role will be based on shifts again, however they do not seem to know yet what hours that would be. Seeing as they are planning to go to a 24 hour system, this could turn out really shitty.

- If it is work in shifts, I might have to take a bus (if there even is one available), which would mean that any extra money I earn, would be going to bus fares. Or I might have to walk... which will take more than an hour.

- I would no longer be using Dutch as the new role would probably be to support an English team. Not a big negative but right now this job is the only thing that is still making me use my own language. =P

I don't know. At the moment I am unsure on what to do, mostly because this new role has so many uncertainties tied to it (what hours, what team, what would I do exactly?). I would basically have to start from scratch again, get training and work my way up to become an "expert" again like I am now on the vertical I support.

I just don't know if it is worth it. =P

Small bump!

I feel like this right now, taking the easy option.

First of all I have sort of been doing it for a year and a half now. I have a job, I have a steady income every month. Which is great. However it is not exactly a job I wish to stay in for the rest of my life, plus the pay is kinda shit. However, starting out as a freelancer is extremely risky, I would have no idea where to start and I have no clue how to even get jobs going. So it is something I have been putting off.

Now in my current job, there are some openings coming up for Quality Assessors and of course everyone is applying for them as it is a small step up from being an Agent. My colleague (who already just got given a QA role to start on in a few weeks) is pushing me to apply for the position, but I seem to really have my doubts about it and can't make up my mind.

Pros:

- I think it is about £1000 more per year, before tax. Not a massive jump, but better than nothing.

- I wouldn't really be dealing with customers anymore (I think).

- I have already been doing some of the stuff from this new role (benchmarking and Customer Survey analysis).

- It would be a new challenge and nice on my CV.

Cons:

- I feel quite comfortable in the job I am in right now as it is something I am good at. I have no clue what I would be doing exactly in the new role.

- It seems that the new role will be based on shifts again, however they do not seem to know yet what hours that would be. Seeing as they are planning to go to a 24 hour system, this could turn out really shitty.

- If it is work in shifts, I might have to take a bus (if there even is one available), which would mean that any extra money I earn, would be going to bus fares. Or I might have to walk... which will take more than an hour.

- I would no longer be using Dutch as the new role would probably be to support an English team. Not a big negative but right now this job is the only thing that is still making me use my own language. =P

I don't know. At the moment I am unsure on what to do, mostly because this new role has so many uncertainties tied to it (what hours, what team, what would I do exactly?). I would basically have to start from scratch again, get training and work my way up to become an "expert" again like I am now on the vertical I support.

I just don't know if it is worth it. =P

But it would save you money on petrol/car stuff?

Do it, any step up the chain is a step in the right direction. You can't stay in your comfort zone for your entire life or you'll be in the same job forever.

Right now I'm planning on taking an 'Agile' Project Management certification to help me move up in my career next year. I've been at this position for 3 months out of a 12 month contract and I'm already thinking about my next step up.

But it would save you money on petrol/car stuff?

Do it, any step up the chain is a step in the right direction. You can't stay in your comfort zone for your entire life or you'll be in the same job forever.

Right now I'm planning on taking an 'Agile' Project Management certification to help me move up in my career next year. I've been at this position for 3 months out of a 12 month contract and I'm already thinking about my next step up.

I currently get rides from my colleague most of the time, and I don't pay a thing for it as she passes by my house anyway. =P

But if we start working in shifts, it is unlikely we would be on the same schedule so can't use that anymore, boooh.

I know that I should "move up". The thing is that that is pretty much it, after that you can't really go anywhere unless you go for a Team Leader position, which is almost impossible to get (and still crap pay).

I would have applied for a job I would actually prefer in a different company (junior designer/artworker), but it is too far away and no way to get there, not even by bus. =(

That fear when you're about to start a new job or a new role in an existing company is powerful stuff! But think back to the times you've started a new job and gotten past that fear and proven to yourself (and everyone else) that you can do it. You should always seek to move upwards :) it can look great on a CV and can teach you new skills, pushing yourself. You've done really well sticking with your job for over a year - you must see the kind of staff turnover in these kinds of jobs. Chances are the company wouldn't want to lose you so if the new role really didn't feel right after a couple of months they'd be able to negotiate a repositioning.

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh. Applied for a position where I used to work. Someone that now works there, but used to work where I currently do, recommended it. The advert says full-time and 2-years fixed which I don't want, but mostly applied out of spite to my current job (and my details are all saved on their system so just had to do the covering letter). I emailed my friend and asked about the likelihood of part-time being on the table and she said to just apply and see. Who knows, could be the only person that applies!

I think there's a 1% chance it will happen, but it's kind of nice to think "I'd have money again* and it's something I could easily do without too much worry" (I hear the grass is greener over there). The personal spec is basically me to a t. There's only one "desirable" element that I don't match, the rest is all spot on.

WHY AM I SO SKILLED AT SOMETHING I DON'T WANT!?!?

*money would be nicely for weekly Sunday brunches. That's what I want from life right now.