Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Ah well, I know I'll enjoy these games on my Wii U, so I'm happy.

Amen to that! I love hearing that there are no games on the Wii U, I've still got two titles in their factory seals from last year that I haven't even started - and a list of games I want to purchase that are already on the shelves.

This year also has a killer line-up. New Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros as well as exclusives like Bayonetta and X - I can't wait!

This is simply wrong.

Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million units. That literally destroys the sales of any other standalone SKU released last gen.

Put things into perspective, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach and Halo 4 sold 39 million units combined!

There really is no wider audience than Mario Kart, it generally appeals to everyone, hence why after 299 weeks, it's still in the all format global sales charts.

I know Nintendo messed up with their marketing and pricing, but lets not re-write history and start pretending that their franchises don't appeal to people or don't shift mega numbers.

I can only assume you completely mis-read my post? When I'm talking about the wider gaming audience, I'm not talking about casuals and soccer mums (i.e. the Wii audience), I'm talking about the audience that doesn't typically buy Nintendo consoles and who will generally tend to support games on the 360/PS3 like Uncharted/Gears etc. You know, the same audience whose neglection of Nintendo hardware has meant that, other than the Wii, Nintendo has seen a sharp decline in hardware sales since the NES.

Nintendo are very well catered for when it comes to pleasing the hardcore Nintendo enthusiasts, children and the casual gamers when it comes to their franchises, but your typical western gamer who wants more of a cinematic/epic game currently has no intention of buying the Wii U for the sole reason that there's no exclusives to make them buy the Wii U. Whether it's a FPS, third person shooter or whatever, a western focused I.P would be great at some point (although it's going to come too late to save the Wii U).

Halo 3 might have 'only' sold several million units, but it brings people to the console and gets them to 'buy into' it. Hell, look at how well the original Xbox did early on just because it was the new FPS on the block, which took away Nintendo's console dominance of FPS games.

Also, it's worth remembering that the Wii was a one-off, and people purchased games like Mario Kart Wii because firstly, it was a pack in, and secondly because it was the next family game to purchase after Wii Sports. I worked at John Lewis for 3 years and sold thousands of copies of MK:Wii to customers and maybe only 5% of them had actually played a Mario Kart game before. Did Mario Kart save the Gamecube or the N64? Nope, not a chance.

Anyway, I think we are going in circles. I (and many others) think Nintendo should at one point, for the first time since the N64, invest in exclusives to try and get people to buy their console who typically don't play 'Nintendo' games and play games on the Xbox/PS etc. Others don't agree with that and think they should only target the same old demographic as they always do, which is risky and the Gamecube showed that. Now I'm fine with that, because I'm the biggest Nintendo fan I know and pretty much buy all of their titles, but from a business sense of view, they can't keep ignoring western trends.

Of course, what do I know about business. It's not like I was the CEO and chairman of a company that earns millions...oh wait :heh:

I lost interest in my 360 about a year and a half ago. I was tired of the same genre of games and wasn't really having much fun with the console. Whilst I played many amazing games, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 the highlights for me, and I enjoyed blowing the shit out of people with guns - it grew tiresome after a good number of years enjoying what the console had to offer. There wasn't much left for me to get out of it minus the odd few games and that's all I then used it for.

I was tired of it so I moved on and enjoyed something else. It can't be fun to keep going on about it surely? Go and enjoy something else. :idea:

They needed more grey, some guns and Zombies - everything needs Zombies!

Nobody is saying Nintendo needs games like that. Look at the new IPs from Sony on the PS3:

Resistance

Motorstorm

Lair

Heavenly Sword

Uncharted

LittleBigPlanet

inFamous

MAG

Heavy Rain

ModNation Racers

Sports Champions

EyePet

The Shoot

Journey

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

The Last of Us

Puppeteer

Beyond: Two Souls

There's a big mixture of genres and audiences there.

(Before someone says about games only published by Sony: Wonderful 101 is the same thing for Nintendo)

Mario Kart Wii sold 34 million units. That literally destroys the sales of any other standalone SKU released last gen.

Put things into perspective, Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach and Halo 4 sold 39 million units combined!

I guess this kind of follows on from Goron's point a little bit and of course it's in no way representative but despite this - why is it that I own both Reach and Halo 4, but not MKWii?

I lost interest in my 360 about a year and a half ago. I was tired of the same genre of games and wasn't really having much fun with the console. Whilst I played many amazing games, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 the highlights for me, and I enjoyed blowing the shit out of people with guns - it grew tiresome after a good number of years enjoying what the console had to offer. There wasn't much left for me to get out of it minus the odd few games and that's all I then used it for.

I was tired of it so I moved on and enjoyed something else. It can't be fun to keep going on about it surely? Go and enjoy something else. :idea:

I actually agree with that, 100%. I actually got a PS3 for games like Journey, Heavy Rain etc because I was so tired of the same old stuff that Microsoft was putting out. I actually find it so surprising that people are STILL purchasing that console because man, since 2008/2009 there isn't much of the 360's library than I can say interested me other than the odd 3rd party title.

This Christmas just gone, my nephews actually got a 360 for Christmas (they are 5 an 8) with Fifa, Madden and a Lego game. What ever happened to growing up with like, proper games? I took my Wii U over but they all just want to play Fifa and not Wii Sports, Nintendo Land and Mario :( Stupid kids :heh:

Nobody is saying Nintendo needs games like that. Look at the new IPs from Sony on the PS3:

Aye, it's annoying when people imply that the high-spec competition only caters to dull grey bile. All that comes across is that the person really hasn't played a huge range of games on the other systems. Which is often the case.

If only it were so easy. Microsoft? Sony? They were flimsy affairs, turned to to try and fill the void left by our greatest love, Nintendo. But Nintendo's changed, she left us for someone else, it wasn't us...it was her. She needed something different, something new, and she left us heatbroken in her wake. She's single again now, and possibly back on the scene, tempting us with promises of how we could work again...how things could be different. We want to get over her, and we were almost there, but now we can't. I guess it's true what they say, maybe you never do forget your first love.

I actually agree with that, 100%. I actually got a PS3 for games like Journey, Heavy Rain etc because I was so tired of the same old stuff that Microsoft was putting out. I actually find it so surprising that people are STILL purchasing that console because man, since 2008/2009 there isn't much of the 360's library than I can say interested me other than the odd 3rd party title.

This Christmas just gone, my nephews actually got a 360 for Christmas (they are 5 an 8) with Fifa, Madden and a Lego game. What ever happened to growing up with like, proper games? I took my Wii U over but they all just want to play Fifa and not Wii Sports, Nintendo Land and Mario :( Stupid kids :heh:

Crack them Goron! Beat the children til they learn!! :laughing:

It's totally true though. I used to work with a woman who's son was 10 and he loved Pokemon so much. She used to say his DS was glued to his hand and his play count was like 400 hours or something stupid. I remember I got a job in another department and then about 6 months after I bumped into her and asked if Michael was still loving Pokemon.

She said he'd sold all of his games, his DS and he bought a 360. I was mortified for him! :cry: He was all about FIFA LAD. It was such a sad day. :weep:

Lol - but yeah. No wonder Nintendo are struggling. Even the kiddies don't want a Wii U!

Aye, it's annoying when people imply that the high-spec competition only caters to dull grey bile. All that comes across is that the person really hasn't played a huge range of games on the other systems. Which is often the case.

Sony have gotten a better balance I think, and why they'll do well. One of my favourite games ever was the previously PS3-only PixelJunk Eden. Downloadable cheap and unique. Vibrant, bright, such a fantastic game. Stuff like that is what I like, and what I want to see on the Wii U.

If only it were so easy. Microsoft? Sony? They were flimsy affairs, turned to to try and fill the void left by our greatest love, Nintendo. But Nintendo's changed, she left us for someone else, it wasn't us...it was her. She needed something different, something new, and she left us heatbroken in her wake. She's single again now, and possibly back on the scene, tempting us with promises of how we could work again...how things could be different. We want to get over her, and we were almost there, but now we can't. I guess it's true what they say, maybe you never do forget your first love.

IT STARTS WITH YOU RUMMY.

YOU.

:heart:

Crack them Goron! Beat the children til they learn!! :laughing:

It's totally true though. I used to work with a woman who's son was 10 and he loved Pokemon so much. She used to say his DS was glued to his hand and his play count was like 400 hours or something stupid. I remember I got a job in another department and then about 6 months after I bumped into her and asked if Michael was still loving Pokemon.

She said he'd sold all of his games, his DS and he bought a 360. I was mortified for him! :cry: He was all about FIFA LAD. It was such a sad day. :weep:

Lol - but yeah. No wonder Nintendo are struggling. Even the kiddies don't want a Wii U!

I know many like that. I can only hope, like most kids, he'll grow up and realise he still loves Pokemon :heh:

Of course, what do I know about business. It's not like I was the CEO and chairman of a company that earns millions...oh wait :heh:

Oh sorry.

So your advice is Nintendo need to attract a wider audience by dropping games that sell a greater number of copies and starting to copy games that sell fewer number of copies?

Because they would widen their audience by pursuing less popular trends?

Because by the definition of 'wider' one would say Mario Kart has a 'wider' audience than Halo.

I see why you are no longer CEO of a company that earns millions!

I guess this kind of follows on from Goron's point a little bit and of course it's in no way representative but despite this - why is it that I own both Reach and Halo 4, but not MKWii?

Yes. Because the anecdotal evidence that you purchased one thing but not another constitutes an industry wide trend.

I didn't see Titanic or Avatar at the cinema. But just because I did not choose not to see them is not evidence of some industry wide trend.

Oh sorry.

So your advice is Nintendo need to attract a wider audience by dropping games that sell a greater number of copies and starting to copy games that sell fewer number of copies?

Because they would widen their audience by pursuing less popular trends?

Because by the definition of 'wider' one would say Mario Kart has a 'wider' audience than Halo.

I see why you are no longer CEO of a company that earns millions!

Yes. Because the anecdotal evidence that you purchased one thing but not another constitutes an industry wide trend.

I didn't see Titanic or Avatar at the cinema. But just because I did not choose not to see them is not evidence of some industry wide trend.

When the hell did I say they should drop games like Mario Kart etc?! You're literally making stuff up aren't you?

I'm saying they should cover all their bases instead of ignoring certain (quite large, judging by Sony and MS sales over the last 10-15 years) demographics. Never, ever did I say they should stop making games like Mario, Zelda etc. Sony and Microsoft make money off a completely different audience to Nintendo and make a lot of money on it; maybe Nintendo should take some of that demographic away or at least get them interested?

Love the last line about my job...I'm more than just a chairman now mate :heh:

Also, it's worth remembering that the Wii was a one-off, and people purchased games like Mario Kart Wii because firstly, it was a pack in, and secondly because it was the next family game to purchase after Wii Sports. I worked at John Lewis for 3 years and sold thousands of copies of MK:Wii to customers and maybe only 5% of them had actually played a Mario Kart game before. Did Mario Kart save the Gamecube or the N64? Nope, not a chance.

This is such a good point and one that I have raised before, both on and off forums.

Mario Kart always did decent numbers but nothing like what the a Wii version pulled. It wasn't so much a system seller, more that the expanded audience seen it as a game they could get their teeth into. They already had the console and were wanting something else to play.

It doesn't make the sales any less valid but if people are expecting Mario Kart Wii U and Donkey Kong Country to do the same numbers as their Wii counterparts then they are in for a shock.

The Wii U console sales are in line with the decline of each and every Nintendo console ( proving again that Wii was lightning in a bottle ) and I expect the sales of these franchises to be around the same as the GameCube first party titles.

What would that thing be? I have no idea :P Maybe a game where you do dastardly things to fair maidens, I don't know. But dismissing a potentially new thing due to the main character is a bit shallow, I think.

A Waluigi game would be amazing. I'd be fine with it being a GTA Mushroom Kingdom type affair with an emphasis on theft.

So what you're saying is, last console generation the Halo Series was more successful than the Mario Kart series. :)

I actually find it so surprising that people are STILL purchasing that console because man, since 2008/2009 there isn't much of the 360's library than I can say interested me other than the odd 3rd party title.

Same here. I don't understand that console. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not a Halo fan, then getting a 360 seems pointless. I do love the GOW games though. But yeah....not a big enough pull.

1383014_10153406567880581_1214219869_n.jpg

#SelectiveReading

wide [wahyd]

adjective, wid·er, wid·est.

having considerable or great extent from side to side; broad: a wide boulevard.

having a certain or specified extent from side to side: three feet wide.

of great horizontal extent; extensive; vast; spacious: the wide plains of the West.

of great range or scope; embracing a great number or variety of subjects, cases, etc.: wide experience.

open to the full or a great extent; expanded; distended: to stare with wide eyes

Wide® has more than one definition. You are literally both right (one saying games selling more are getting a wider (bigger in number) audience while another is saying they should reach a wider (more diverse) audience).

I don't see why this is being argued. It's clear that you're both using the same word with different intentions.

Are you actually mentally deficient? Like you didn't even read and comprehend the words I put in my post. Genuinely baffling. Good discussing(?) with you I guess?

This is such a good point and one that I have raised before, both on and off forums.

Mario Kart always did decent numbers but nothing like what the a Wii version pulled. It wasn't so much a system seller, more that the expanded audience seen it as a game they could get their teeth into. They already had the console and were wanting something else to play.

It doesn't make the sales any less valid but if people are expecting Mario Kart Wii U and Donkey Kong Country to do the same numbers as their Wii counterparts then they are in for a shock.

The Wii U console sales are in line with the decline of each and every Nintendo console ( proving again that Wii was lightning in a bottle ) and I expect the sales of these franchises to be around the same as the GameCube first party titles.

So did the Wii sell the games, the games the Wii, or a middle-ground of the both? Maybe Nintendo have interpreted it the wrong way round and that's why we're seeing less of the new and more of the old?

That's true, but the Wii version expanded it's scope somewhat and this carried over to the 3DS.

Mario Kart 7 sold a craptonne of consoles and, with Mario worldwide and Monster Hunter in Japan, pushed the 3DS up 11 million units from 6 million to 17 million in a matter of months, selling over 5 million itself in the short timeframe

wide [wahyd]

adjective, wid·er, wid·est.

having considerable or great extent from side to side; broad: a wide boulevard.

having a certain or specified extent from side to side: three feet wide.

of great horizontal extent; extensive; vast; spacious: the wide plains of the West.

of great range or scope; embracing a great number or variety of subjects, cases, etc.: wide experience.

open to the full or a great extent; expanded; distended: to stare with wide eyes

Wide® has more than one definition. You are literally both right (one saying games selling more are getting a wider (bigger in number) audience while another is saying they should reach a wider (more diverse) audience).

I don't see why this is being argued. It's clear that you're both using the same word with different intentions.

You could say its definition is a little bit....wide.