N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I dunno, I think the smart money is on Zelda...

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it, Aonuma did wanted to show something of Zelda WiiU whilst in Germany.

Could be, could be...

Or perhaps they'll make everyone wait again and reveal that a Mii is playable in Smash.

An epic Smash-character related announcement would be epic though.

RAYMAN!

Bill looks like he hasn't slept in days, I'm not sure he even answered Geoff Kong-Pow question in the end ;P

Huh? Really?

He explained it quite perfectly, didn't he?

Press C button simultaneously when you have 100 bananas,

Diddy + Donkey Kong = All enemies on screen turn into balloons.

Dixie + Donkey Kong = All enemies on screen turn into golden hearts.

Huh? Really?

He explained it quite perfectly, didn't he?

Press C button simultaneously when you have 100 bananas,

Diddy + Donkey Kong = All enemies on screen turn into balloons.

Dixie + Donkey Kong = All enemies on screen turn into golden hearts.

About whether and how it works in single player.

Damn the NFC game really has to be Smash Bros doesn't it!!?

Edited by Retro_Link

Oh it's based on nothing other than how awesome it would be and a complete missed opportunity [to make a tonne of money] otherwise.

If they do that, they are dead to me

I don't know.

If it's just for something extra it would be awesome, but a mode you would miss unless you were to collect figurines would definitely not go hand in hand with Smash Bros. That's not Sakurai's style.

It would be damn awesome to collect all sorts of small NINTENDO figurines though, even though it's a bit sad to do so.

I don't know.

If it's just for something extra it would be awesome, but a mode you would miss unless you were to collect figurines would definitely not go hand in hand with Smash Bros. That's not Sakurai's style.

It would be damn awesome to collect all sorts of small NINTENDO figurines though, even though it's a bit sad to do so.

Have you been to the McDonalds lately? ;)

supermario_200x315.jpg

I would be shocked and stunned if Nintendo didn't make Smash Bros NFC compatible on Wii U (while the 3DS version uses AR Cards)

Sakurai already did it in Kid Icarus Uprising, so why not again? Release figurines/AR Cards that unlock the equivalent trophy in the game (but of course it's still unlockable in the normal fashion - just like in KIU!)

For something like Smash, I probably wouldn't object. They'd need to be available enough though, and somehow not be a major influence or requirement for anything else. Entirely optional like.

The first 14 seconds of this show perfectly just how good Smash Bros. NFC would be...

I'm not so sure we'll see very much NFC in gaming. SkyLanders seems the only half decent use of the technology in gaming; but i'm not sure selecting characters by placing a model on the GamePad is any more useful that selecting one from a menu.

The obvious thing for them to do would be to have NFC-enabled eShop cards. But the fact they've not done this obvious thing makes me wonder if there are genuine security concerns with NFC or Nintendo's implementation of it.

SSB is also about accessibility, I'd be very surprised if NFC was embedded in the software as it kind of goes against accessibility. Nintendo will also want to make this an instant-purchase and a reason for gamers to buy Wii U. Figures may put people off - extra costs and all.

For a fighting game NFC doesn't sit well either as you naturally need a good mix of characters as opposed to, say, a game like Infinity or Skylanders where you may only need 3/4 max characters to get a lot out of he software. People do usually have a 'main' in SSB but half the fun is mixing it up.

Nintendo would be better off using NFC for either a new IP or for things like strategy games including cards or just for shop cards/virtual console games. They could do what infinity did with the power disks for things like 'retro backgrounds' which would give you more themed stages for something like SSB.

Edited by tapedeck

SSB is also about accessibility, I'd be very surprised if NFC was embedded in the software as it kind of goes against accessibility. Nintendo will also want to make this an instant-purchase and a reason for gamers to buy Wii U. Figures may put people off - extra costs and all.

For a fighting game NFC doesn't sit well either as you naturally need a good mix of characters as opposed to, say, a game like Infinity or Skylanders where you may only need 3/4 max characters to get a lot out of he software. People do usually have a 'main' in SSB but half the fun is mixing it up.

Nintendo would be better off using NFC for either a new IP or for things like strategy games including cards or just for shop cards/virtual console games. They could do what infinity did with the power disks for things like 'retro backgrounds' which would give you more themed stages for something like SSB.

I get what you're saying, this NFC stuff should definitely not hinder the accessibility of Smash, nor should it restrict a full gaming experience.

However, if they could perhaps use it for a fun and quirky mode, purely optional and thus only for the collectors, it could work.

I must say, I would never spend my money on figurines and whatnot, but Smash would be the only franchise to convince me to buy some. Having various of NINTENDO's greats standing next to eachother in awesome smash trophy form would be aesthetically pleasing to my eyes...

P.S.: AMAZING how smooth this Wiiu internet works!

P.S.: AMAZING how smooth this Wiiu internet works!

Just wait till you figure out that you can post on here using the Gamepad screen while watching any HTML5 (Youtube/Ustream/Twitch/Plex etc) video on your TV at the same time and it works flawlessly...