Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I'm the same with Smash Bros., played tonnes of Brawl but not really bothered with the Wii U version. It does feel a bit samey. However, with MK8 I've played a tonne of it but I didn't play much of the Wii version. So I'm thinking it's probably saturation and a bit of fatigue with the Smash franchise which is a shame because the Wii U game is much better. If I'd played MK Wii a lot I'd say I wouldn't be playing MK8 half as much.

Nintendo Celebrates Women's History Month

In The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Princess Zelda was actually a tough and spunky captain of a ragtag group of pirates. Tetra saves Link from Ganondorf’s clutches, and later helps Link defeat Ganondorf for good to save the world.

· Toadette is a recurring Toad character in the Mario series. These days, she’s a plucky treasure-hunter in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, who puts on a brave face to find rare goodies and save Captain Toad from the monstrous and greedy bird, Wingo.

· Bayonetta is a sassy and incredibly stylish witch with pistol-stilettos and a vendetta against the armies of angels and demons that hunt her. She’s a force to be reckoned with, an ally to her best friend and fellow witch Jeanne and doesn’t take flak from anybody.

· Rosalina is an interstellar observer, protector of the Lumas and friend to Mario in Super Mario Galaxy. She is mother to the Lumas, who are little star-like creatures capable of becoming new galaxies!

· Lucina is an unwavering warrior with a strong sense of justice and commitment to her family. Her power, determination and wisdom gained from watching the destruction of her world are priceless strengths as one of Fire Emblem Awakening’s many playable female protagonists.

· Samus Aran shocked the video game world at the end of the original Metroid game by revealing her gender and changing the way we think about video game characters in the process. Video game protagonists need not be male in order to be strong. Samus is a space bounty hunter in an armored suit, outfitted with a powerful blaster on the arm and extreme heat resistance.

· Bombette is a Bob-omb who joins Mario on his quest in the original Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64. As a member of Mario’s diverse team of fighters, she has an explosive fighting style and isn’t afraid to get physical with her body slam and powerful bomb attacks.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/249324-nintendo-celebrates-women-s-history-month

Wz18yjh.jpg

EuBxhrx.jpg

phTmI48.jpg

Ry7YGoL.jpg

cIVq3tK.jpg

SNaWs01.jpg

jKkE0xg.png

With regards to Mario Kart on Wii U - whats the biggest draw? I tried this a couple of times at Game and it just seems so slow.

It's extremely over-rated and I can't believe it has even made some of these game of the year lists. The single player modes are piss poor and the battle mode is completely broken. The gameplay is Mario Kart mixed with a bit of F Zero's anti-gravity (saves Nintendo making an F Zero, I guess). On the plus side, it is really beautiful to look at in places.

I was actually quite disappointed in terms of item balance in the game (for instance stars/mushrooms are gimped, which have always been useful to regain positions after being thwarted). The game looks really nice but I far preferred Mario Kart Wii back in the day.

I was actually quite disappointed in terms of item balance in the game (for instance stars/mushrooms are gimped, which have always been useful to regain positions after being thwarted). The game looks really nice but I far preferred Mario Kart Wii back in the day.

It's a better game than Wii, in my opinion. I loathed that game and felt that it wasn't really that fun to play. Only just, though, because I didn't have a great time with this either.

I really wanted Nintendo to put some effort in with the single player. I remember MKDS had these missions and I found them pretty fun. I really expected Nintendo to expand on this with both Wii and 8 and they really haven't.

In some ways it feels like Mario Kart as a series still hasn't caught up with Diddy Kong Racing.

Story mode, explorable hub and levels, boss races, land v air v sea, stackable weapons for strategy... So, so, good!

Having said that I thought Mario Kart Wii was great.

In some ways it feels like Mario Kart as a series still hasn't caught up with Diddy Kong Racing.

Story mode, explorable hub and levels, boss races, land v air v sea, stackable weapons for strategy... So, so, good!

Yeah, I agree with your point about Diddy Kong. Even just a story mode or some attempt to expand the single player would be enough for me. There's just not an awful lot to do in it besides multiplayer, which is fine...if all of it worked correctly. Battle mode is a large part of the multiplayer which is broken. It shocked me at just how bad it was when I tried it.

With regards to Mario Kart on Wii U - whats the biggest draw? I tried this a couple of times at Game and it just seems so slow.

Are you sure you weren't just playing it at 50cc? MK8 is widely recognised as the best Mario Kart for a long time. Fantastic game and the DLC is pretty special too.

Thank you. That's immediately what I thought of too. Great game and the single player as a mode was fantastic. Why haven't Nintendo tried something like it since? Well I guess it was Rare and to a lesser extent F-Zero GX had a campaign mode but again that wasn't Nintendo's own work. It's something Nintendo should explore but Diddy Kong Racing, when I think of that game, the single player, its modes and its uniqueness are the first thing that spring to mind.

Edited by Wii

For me it was the fact I was getting it and WWHD for £30 ;)

I played a league a couple times, but mostly I haven't touched it since. I'd even skipped the Wii version so fatigue isn't entirely attributable as a cause - I just dunno why but I don't fancy MK much any more. I've barely considered firing it up for some local play - and even if I did, without getting regular locals for peeps to get used to the maps(because few people i know own a wii u) it just won't be terribly fun for everyone involved - besides if we've all managed to get together for any local play then Smash takes the time.

Ha! Me and JonDedede were actually chatting about DKR just on Friday(I forget why) but we were marvelling in all those aspects and how they were fantastic for a 'racing' game. Gutted I never owned my own personal copy until far too late(2006!).

I'd even go so far and say that Crash Team Racing is a better game than any of the Mario Karts.

But Diddy Kong Racing is the pinnacle of the fun racers. :bowdown:

And Mario Kart Wii...I hate that game. Mostly because one of my best mates and my girlfriend are fucking savants at this :laughing:

I don't get the want for a story in the MK franchise. It is simply what it is, a kart racer. There's no story to go-kart racing, you go with your mates and race, that's it. That's all there need be in MK.

They could put in challenges etc, yes... but a story, no thanks.

That said, they need to fix battle mode!

I don't get the want for a story in the MK franchise. It is simply what it is, a kart racer. There's no story to go-kart racing, you go with your mates and race, that's it. That's all there need be in MK.

They could put in challenges etc, yes... but a story, no thanks.

That said, they need to fix battle mode!

I think story is the wrong word to be using. DKR single player mode was called Adventure and the story was very light. I think there was a bit of dialogue at the start of a boss race and a cutscene at the end and beginning of the game and that was it.

I think when people ask for Mario Kart to become more like DKR it is more to do with the overworld, different vehicles and exploration aspect while racing, than it is to do with wanting a story.

I think story is the wrong word to be using. DKR single player mode was called Adventure and the story was very light. I think there was a bit of dialogue at the start of a boss race and a cutscene at the end and beginning of the game and that was it.

I think when people ask for Mario Kart to become more like DKR it is more to do with the overworld, different vehicles and exploration aspect while racing, than it is to do with wanting a story.

I still don't get this. I think MK is fine the way it is. All it needs is better weapon balancing, a decent Battle Mode and proper online with voice-chat. It'd be amazing.

Putting in an overworld etc is just making the game something it's not.

I still don't get this. I think MK is fine the way it is. All it needs is better weapon balancing, a decent Battle Mode and proper online with voice-chat. It'd be amazing.

Putting in an overworld etc is just making the game something it's not.

Some would argue that the single player setup has become stale though. It's probably why DKR is thought of so fondly after all these years. It took the karting concept and not only did it do something different with it but did it very well.

I'm in agreement with @kav82 here. Mario Kart with an Adventure Mode just wouldn't sit right. It doesn't fit the game.

Mission Modes should absolutely come back though

People would have said the same thing about Link and yet there he is and it doesn't bother me. Kav was right that they should fix Battle Mode before worrying about anything else.

Also, if they were to make a new Diddy Kong Racing would they have to make an entire new lineup of characters? Do Rare own the rights to all the characters other than Diddy Kong and the Kremling?

Diddy_kong_select_screen.jpg

Yes probably all of that and maybe a peek at the MK8 DLC. More Xenoblade, both versions. Kirby. I'd like some new games revealed but we'll probably have to wait for E3 now. Another Zelda teaser would be welcome.

Rumours of a direct this week? What could be on it? Smash DLC, new amiibo waves and restock details, splatoon details, yoshi, mario maker...?

I'd say next week ;)

But yeah, expecting Splatoon release date and amiibo details, Smash DLC details, amiibo waves, Pokémon Rumble World and probably a few other things.