Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

God fucking damn, my hand, fingers and wrist are killing me. I cannot get into a comfortable position when using Art Academy.

Anyway kinda from start to finish, my rough Batman Beyond.

There was a part before this but it was just sausages and circles.

4fTGagi.jpg

MbUAJkc.jpg

nbgSlDX.jpg

Very good art. I would ask this though. If you were sketching or painting on a canvas would you hold the canvas in one hand while painting with the other? Just place it on a table or flat surface. It's mobility allows for various positions. That screw in hole at the back of the gamepad would allow for an Easel.

I always hold my sketchpad or rest it on my legs. But because of the buttons and shit on the gamepad it can be quite tricky to hold it in a way that doesn't see you pressing buttons by accident, and every button does something in AA. I get shit range in my house so I cant really take the gamepad into a room with a table. Plus its my hand that hold the stylus which hurts the most not the one holding the gamepad in different ways. I think maybe I have a touch of repetitive strain injury.

I don't think ye could take it because by the moans of things, a lot of your arms must be made of pipe cleaners.

The battery needs changing but that would make it heavier for ye wimps.

This is why I hate posting something here and why I've deleted something I've written before clicking on "submit reply" so often.

Shame on me, if my wrists hurt when holding a Nintendo controller. :indeed:

What precisely is the problem with the gamepad? Fair enough if you haven't analysed the problem in depth, but essentially what is being posted is "500g is heavy".

I do understand a lot of the criticism, but 500g split between two hands REALLY isn't heavy!

This is why I hate posting something here and why I've deleted something I've written before clicking on "submit reply" so often.

Shame on me, if my wrists hurt when holding a Nintendo controller. :indeed:

I wouldn't worry about it, comments like that do nothing other than confirm what everybody already thought about the poster.

What precisely is the problem with the gamepad? Fair enough if you haven't analysed the problem in depth, but essentially what is being posted is "500g is heavy".

I do understand a lot of the criticism, but 500g split between two hands REALLY isn't heavy!

Half a kilo is pretty heavy for a controller.

Easier to compare it - a PS4 controller is 210g. When I hold my PS4 controller, it certainly doesn't feel light. It feels just the right weight to not be heavy while also not feeling cheap like a PS3 Sixaxis (which was a paltry 137g). The Xbox One controller is 280g and for reference the gamecube controller was 318g.

So we can probably place most modern controllers being around the 200-330g range. Way less than that like with the Sixaxis and the thing felt pretty cheap and crappy, and way more than that at 491g, it's going to feel too heavy. From a personal point of view, anyway.

For me, there is a sweet spot and this lies way outside.

Another way to break it down is that it is more than double the weight of a PS4 controller. If a PS4 controller alone feels the right weight, then this is definitely feeling on the heavy side. But also the size means you can't really move your arms about as easily like with a normal controller while you hold it, which to me adds to the sort of clunkiness.

It reminds me a bit of the original Gameboy - at 394g it feels a bit like a brick, even though you could break it down to '197g per hand'. Still feels oddly bulky.

Edited by Sheikah

Smaller, lighter Gamepad redesign ahoy? ;)

Better still redesign the console as well, rebrand it, bundle with Mario Kart 8, ensure price point is no more than £200, ????? , Profit! : peace:

I don't think that plan and profit can be in the same sentence :p

I don't think that plan and profit can be in the same sentence :p

I was only half-joking. :heh:

The gamepad could be slimmed down though to coincide with whenever Nintendo decide to let us sync two gamepads to one machine. : peace:

Its weight isn't the problem. It's just too big and therefore uncomfortable to hold for long gaming sessions.

I understand that argument a lot more than the too heavy one as it alters the positioning of your arms.

This isn't meant to be a criticism of weakness (And why should being physically weaker be a criticism at all?) But weaker members of the population will notice the difference in lower weights more so than stronger members of the population. Personally the weight of the gamepad only really registers when I hold it with one hand.

On the size, I agree, we've already seen earlier on the amateur attempt at making it smaller and more visually attractive. If Nintendo can rework the gamepad to look sleeker and, for those having issues with the weight, lighter, that would be great, although I must say I would feel a bit jealous of those with the new nicer gamepads :D

I was only half-joking. :heh:

The gamepad could be slimmed down though to coincide with whenever Nintendo decide to let us sync two gamepads to one machine. : peace:

Are we still holding onto the belief this will happen?

I understand that argument a lot more than the too heavy one as it alters the positioning of your arms.

This isn't meant to be a criticism of weakness (And why should being physically weaker be a criticism at all?) But weaker members of the population will notice the difference in lower weights more so than stronger members of the population. Personally the weight of the gamepad only really registers when I hold it with one hand.

I would be surprised if people didn't notice the difference between the Gamepad and one of the other controllers to the same degree given it is over double the weight of the other controllers. I'd say it's more down to how little they use other controllers (e.g. PS4/X1) and how much they just get on with it. Either way, unlikely it's down to it being 'weaker' people perceiving it. As a 20 something healthy male you could hardly place me at the lower end out of all people who could ever use the thing (kids, women, older people).

As a 20 something healthy male you could hardly place me at the lower end out of all people who could ever use the thing (kids, women, older people).

Yes, I didn't. But I also wouldn't expect you to consider something that weighs under .5 of a kilo to be "heavy" or a struggle to hold for a few hours due to it's weight. My nephew is under half your age. Not once has he ever mentioned, let alone complained about the weight of the gamepad. So I'm just a bit confused how a healthy 20 something can consider the weight. Unless Nintendo HAVE subtly dealt with the weight issue, and my controller is a lighter variant? I only got mine about a year ago.

Yes, I didn't. But I also wouldn't expect you to consider something that weighs under .5 of a kilo to be "heavy" or a struggle to hold for a few hours due to it's weight. My nephew is under half your age. Not once has he ever mentioned, let alone complained about the weight of the gamepad. So I'm just a bit confused how a healthy 20 something can consider the weight. Unless Nintendo HAVE subtly dealt with the weight issue, and my controller is a lighter variant? I only got mine about a year ago.

I have never complained to anyone in real life about the gamepad weight either, so that example doesn't really have any point to it.

Fact is, it weighs more than double that of a normal controller, so I really don't see why you're having difficulty understanding why people might be saying, in the context of a controller, that it is 'heavy'. I've noticed you've used words like 'struggle' (I never suggested I struggled), and trying to make out like I'm having difficulty with it. I'm not, I'm just telling you that for a handheld controller it feels heavy compared to what I'm used to and this means it's less comfortable to use than a standard controller.

Or perhaps people are different?

Yeah, it's an erroneous leap to suggest that people's ability to perceive weight (regarding low weight objects) is down to strength. It's more due to perception and what that person thinks is an acceptable level of weight for a device, and comparing the level of comfort you have using it to other devices.

Going back to the original Gameboy - when I pick that up, it feels heavy. It's like 100g less heavy than a Wii U gamepad and yet it feels heavy to me, mostly because the gameboys that followed were so much lighter. Perception and comparison is key.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Are we still holding onto the belief this will happen?

Well... admittedly it's unlikely at best as Nintendo seem to have enough of a job convincing us that we need games that incorporate one gamepad, let alone two. :p

But I was just thinking along the line of if we were to suddenly get dual Gamepad games next year then surely that would be the best time for a Gamepad redesign? ::shrug:

Hopefully it will have become cheaper to manufacture by that point as well, especially as a slimmer version would use less plastic. : peace:

This is how it works in my head though, who knows what this would translate to in Nintendo's Land... ;)

...they'd probably make it bigger then halve the screen size and stick a Gamecube controller in the middle. :laughing:

Reggie : 'We've listened to the fans and are now delivering the controller that you want!'

Fans : 'Err... we didn't ask for any of this'

Just give us more games! :blank:

I think the WiiU game pad size is fine, but for me the erganomics aren't right;

The hand grips could be slightly larger and more traditional controller, in that they are larger at the top and taper rather than a uniform size. Its current shape is fine for my little fingers and ring finger, but for my Middle/Index it should be slightly wider or protrude more from the pad

It should have analogue triggers

The L/R buttons need to be altered they are too far from the ZL/ZR buttons to comfortably use

It needs to be Matte

Redshell's design however is perfect!, if i could alter anything it would be the back to be like i'd mentioned, basically cut the hand grips off a gamecube controller and glue them on, including the analogue triggers

Just give us more games! :blank:

To be fair, Nintendo's output in the first 18 months of Wii U is higher than every one of their consoles other than the Wii, which beats it by just 3 games. It's not like they're holding back or massively struggling with development.

Edited by Serebii

To be fair, Nintendo's output in the first 18 months of Wii U is higher than every one of their consoles other than the Wii, which beats it by just 3 games. It's not like they're holding back or massively struggling with development.

Problem isn't just the quantity for me, there was a certain samey feel with their output (NSMBU a prime example). Also a problem was supporting third party software - originally a lot of ported over titles and now next to nothing at all. Means you need even more good first party stuff than last consoles to make up for it.