Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

So you would really be happy if Nintendo brought out a console that matched the specs of the other two and brought nothing new to the table? You don't think that'd be bad for the market?

Personally I would be happy, providing that their online setup was the same as the others. I could then stop buying multiple machines to play various games. I would have great 3rd party games on top of Nintendos awesome output.

Sure, I probably would get another console down the line for their exclusives but I could afford to wait a little longer.

Its one of those things where I would love a "tell all" book to be written on the games industry one day which actually explained a lot of this stuff. Doubt it will ever happen but I'd love to read it.

Indeed. I love it when juicy stuff comes out from people who worked in the industry. The Mario Kart DS stuff on IGN voice chat was a recent highlight of such stories.

So you would really be happy if Nintendo brought out a console that matched the specs of the other two and brought nothing new to the table? You don't think that'd be bad for the market?

I would be happy with that, provided that they also made right all of the wrongs that they've committed this generation.

You see user input as the only differentiator between systems. You're wrong in that respect. It takes place in many different formats, e.g. the power under the hood for the console (which can help drive the industry - who wouldn't want graphically better games?), the style and type of games that appears on the system will also drive the industry, as well as having online components, new gameplay mechanics, advancements in sound quality, having better/higher production values in games, they all play a part and more.

You make it sound as if the console is useless if it doesn't have a fancy controller. I can't agree with that. The controller is an input device and only alters a fraction of what you're actually doing. If what you're actually controlling isn't all that, then what's the point in it anyway? At the end of the day, you're still getting Mario from point A to point B, as you did on the NES, SNES and so on. The controller didn't do an awful lot for Super Mario Galaxy, yet the graphical quality of the game, the sound, the stylistic approach, the setting, the levels and so on made it memorable and a classic. The controller shouldn't matter more than the game that you're playing.

Just because you believe they bring nothing new to the table doesn't make it true. Better graphics, faster computing, second-screen apps, improved services, footage/screenshot capture, interactive live streams, these are all new. And there isn't a hard line with software, new software brings new features to the table all the time.

You can't see it because you don't want to see it.

Just because you believe they bring nothing new to the table doesn't make it true. Better graphics, faster computing, second-screen apps, improved services, footage/screenshot capture, interactive live streams, these are all new. And there isn't a hard line with software, new software brings new features to the table all the time.

You can't see it because you don't want to see it.

Yes. That's what I said. Well done.

Stop trying to infer meanings that aren't actually in the words I said. What I said was that having a third, near identical, console is a bad thing for the industry and that Nintendo really should do something to differentiate themselves.

I'm also amused you brought up second-screen apps, improved services and screenshot capture...as if the Wii U doesn't have that.

So you would really be happy if Nintendo brought out a console that matched the specs of the other two

Yes, or bettered.

and brought nothing new to the table?

No. Innovate with software, or additional peripherals that don't subsequently result in gimping of the console.

Gamecube had specs not too dissimilar from the competition and nobody complained.

I would be happy with that, provided that they also made right all of the wrongs that they've committed this generation.

You see user input as the only differentiator between systems. You're wrong in that respect. It takes place in many different formats, e.g. the power under the hood for the console (which can help drive the industry - who wouldn't want graphically better games?), the style and type of games that appears on the system will also drive the industry, as well as having online components, new gameplay mechanics, advancements in sound quality, having better/higher production values in games, they all play a part and more.

You make it sound as if the console is useless if it doesn't have a fancy controller. I can't agree with that. The controller is an input device and only alters a fraction of what you're actually doing. If what you're actually controlling isn't all that, then what's the point in it anyway? At the end of the day, you're still getting Mario from point A to point B, as you did on the NES, SNES and so on. The controller didn't do an awful lot for Super Mario Galaxy, yet the graphical quality of the game, the sound, the stylistic approach, the setting, the levels and so on made it memorable and a classic. The controller shouldn't matter more than the game that you're playing.

I never said it has to have a fancy controller. What I said is that it needs something, a "gimmick" (hate that people use this word to downplay change), to differentiate from the others.

I'm not opposed to Nintendo having a more powerful console. What I am opposed to is them doing a console that's near identical to the other two. It's bad enough that those two are as close to eachother as any two consoles have ever been. A third would just mess things up further.

Yes, or bettered.

No. Innovate with software, or additional peripherals that don't subsequently result in gimping of the console.

Gamecube had specs not too dissimilar from the competition and nobody complained.

You're inferring that the Wii U is "weak" because of the GamePad. That is far from the case. The Wii U's specs were decided before the GamePad. It is not something that is holding the console back as people seem to believe.

Also, people didn't complain about Gamecube specs, but they didn't exactly buy the bloody thing.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Why does having a console matching the specs of the competition mean its bringing nothing new to the table.

How about what Nintendo software developers could do with a console like that?

I'm still asking what a less powerful console with a tablet style controller brought to the table? What did the Wii U bring which was so innovative and beyond the experience found on the PS3/360?

Improved services? Improved to the Wii maybe, not remotely comparable to anything else. Does it have footage capture? Yeah, no again. Second-screen apps, they aren't all the same and while the Wii U obviously is capable, I can't say I've seen anything like being able to play co-op in something like Beyond or the sheer depth of something like the Destiny app.

Essentially what @Fierce_LiNk said, though.

I never said it has to have a fancy controller. What I said is that it needs something, a "gimmick" (hate that people use this word to downplay change), to differentiate from the others.

I'm not opposed to Nintendo having a more powerful console. What I am opposed to is them doing a console that's near identical to the other two. It's bad enough that those two are as close to eachother as any two consoles have ever been. A third would just mess things up further.

You're inferring that the Wii U is "weak" because of the GamePad. That is far from the case. The Wii U's specs were decided before the GamePad. It is not something that is holding the console back as people seem to believe.

Also, people didn't complain about Gamecube specs, but they didn't exactly buy the bloody thing.

Why does it need a "gimmick"? The "gimmick" or USP should be Nintendo's games. I bought a WiiU for Nintendo, not the GamePad. The Wiimote was an exception because it was being touted as the future, doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.

About the last point: People didn't buy the GC for multiple reasons, the specs had nothing to do with it. In fact, didn't sales start off well and then fade away? Nintendo's support towards the latter years of the GC was a bit...bad. They also took the piss a little with some of the Donkey Kong(a) games and using Mario for, well, everything. There's many reasons why the GC didn't do better, you shouldn't try to link the specs into that.

I'm not sure where this mentality comes from that Nintendo NEED to be different. The games should be the difference, not necessarily the system. The games were the difference back on the NES, SNES, N64 and GC. It's only since the Wii where they decided to go down the "less powerhouse, more user input" route that fans have changed their tune.

This.

The software should always be the #1 thing that differentiates Nintendo from the others not controllers or gimmicks.

About the last point: People didn't buy the GC for multiple reasons, the specs had nothing to do with it. In fact, didn't sales start off well and then fade away? Nintendo's support towards the latter years of the GC was a bit...bad. They also took the piss a little with some of the Donkey Kong(a) games and using Mario for, well, everything. There's many reasons why the GC didn't do better, you shouldn't try to link the specs into that.

Yep the specs were not the issue. Nintendo were late to the party and the PS2 was already a sales monster with all the third parties locked up. Releasing a purple console that also looked like something for little kids was a big mistake.

Edited by liger05

Even they had wanted to produce a similar spec machine with the gamepad, it would have sold for a horrendous amount due to it already costing 300 as it was. Basically, if they pick a peripheral it has to not cost too much if they want to compete on specs.

Not due to specs. That's why you can't say that the specs were a bad thing.

The software should always be the #1 thing that differentiates Nintendo from the others not controllers or gimmicks.

And that's what's most annoying for me (and apparently some others). They have a sheer unlimited potential to just shit on every other game with their creativity and/or IPs.

And what do they do? Nothing :(

And that's what's most annoying for me (and apparently some others). They have a sheer unlimited potential to just shit on every other game with their creativity and/or IPs.

And what do they do? Nothing :(

I wouldn't say nothing. I mean for all the issues I have with Mario Kart 8 ( patch solves most of them ) that game is amazing, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Super Mario 3D World was a fantastic game and a lot of criticism that received was from people who never reached those challenging levels at the end. Even without those though I still found it an enjoyable experience.

Stuff like Donkey Kong, Pikmin and Wonderful 101 were all a joy to play and brought a smile to my face whenever I played them.

Between the 3DS and Wii U I think Nintendo's own output has been amazing. It's just a shame they can't keep pumping out games at a regular pace.

Pikmin just isn't for me. Tried the first two games. Didn't click with me.

Wonderful 101. Have to give it a go.

But the rest...blurgh. Super Mario 3D World. I hate it.

Tropical Freeze. Enjoyed it at first. Then it got stale.

Yeah, I'll get crucified, blabla. It's just my opinion.

1391326999468903388.GIF

:p

What I actually meant though, is that they have so many IPs. They could just make two games and boom. People are a little happier. :)

It's just a shame they can't keep pumping out games at a regular pace.

That's also a huge problem.

Pikmin just isn't for me. Tried the first two games. Didn't click with me.

Wonderful 101. Have to give it a go.

But the rest...blurgh. Super Mario 3D World. I hate it.

Tropical Freeze. Enjoyed it at first. Then it got stale.

Yeah, I'll get crucified, blabla. It's just my opinion.

1391326999468903388.GIF

:p

Nothing wrong with that, mate. It's your opinion and your entitled to it. People like different games. What games I find fun, others may not.

Wonderful 101 is a very marmite game. You'll either love it or hate it.

I wouldn't say nothing. I mean for all the issues I have with Mario Kart 8 ( patch solves most of them ) that game is amazing, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Super Mario 3D World was a fantastic game and a lot of criticism that received was from people who never reached those challenging levels at the end. Even without those though I still found it an enjoyable experience.

Stuff like Donkey Kong, Pikmin and Wonderful 101 were all a joy to play and brought a smile to my face whenever I played them.

Between the 3DS and Wii U I think Nintendo's own output has been amazing. It's just a shame they can't keep pumping out games at a regular pace.

Did you get hit on the head this morning? That's a very positive Nintendo post by you. :D

Nintendo speccing up to meet or even exceed the competition would be the absolute answer to the Nintendo going 3rd party argument. Get the 3rd parties to come to Nintendo, and STILL have the quality innovation of titles that has people coming to Nintendo for. I know which console I'd be choosing then.

Why does it need a "gimmick"? The "gimmick" or USP should be Nintendo's games. I bought a WiiU for Nintendo, not the GamePad. The Wiimote was an exception because it was being touted as the future, doubt we'll ever see anything like that again.
Serebii wont reply to this post because it makes too much sense.

Because it's not enough. It may be a selling point for you, but it's not for the mass populace else, despite the GamePad issues, the Wii U would be selling well.

As long as they continue to make unique, innovative and exclusive games for it, then I think every Nintendo fan would be ecstatic.\

Edit. And the Gamecube only sold what it did for about 10 different reasons, none of which were due to the power. Hell, by the time it released the console war was already over and they had already destroyed any marketing potential the thing had by making it look like a toy.

Oh and ANOTHER point. The USP is the games. It always is and always will be.

Edited by Goron_3

Because it's not enough. It may be a selling point for you, but it's not for the mass populace else, despite the GamePad issues, the Wii U would be selling well.
So Nintendo have effectively run themselves into third place? and because of that the console wont sell?

Because it's enough for both the PlayStation and Xbox brands to be able to co-exist and sell. It's the fact that they're the 'and yet another' console?

As long as they continue to make unique, innovative and exclusive games for it, then I think every Nintendo fan would be ecstatic.\

Edit. And the Gamecube only sold what it did for about 10 different reasons, none of which were due to the power. Hell, by the time it released the console war was already over and they had already destroyed any marketing potential the thing had by making it look like a toy.

Oh and ANOTHER point. The USP is the games. It always is and always will be.

Then again, the Wii U should be doing better :/

So Nintendo have effectively run themselves into third place? and because of that the console wont sell?

Because it's enough for both the PlayStation and Xbox brands to be able to co-exist and sell. It's the fact that they're the 'and yet another' console?

Nintendo are "third place" because they're not edgy or "cool".

Remember, a developer said, when the Wii was popular, that they couldn't compete with Nintendo titles. Now they say that there isn't a userbase. No matter what Nintendo do, they won't have a console that has third party support.

Nintendo being great is their own weakness.