Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

That's really bad if so. It sounds like they don't have enough confidence in their own teams to produce bug-free/representative demos.

That only applies to E3 demos which are often early builds or rushed out for E3.

Nintendo do demos on 3DS, it's just a case of them being inconstant as usual. Although to be honest I never noticed there were none for Wii U.

I think it is a fair point from Nintendo that the majority of their games tend to sell on the Nintendo name alone. I know of instances where I have not bought a game on the basis of a demo, because actually the demo provided enough enjoyable game play on it's own. Equally, I have almost not purchased a game based on the demo, only to later play the full game and realise it was better than the demo suggested.

so in summary -

awesome demo = no sale

terrible demo = no sale.

So you need to hit the happy medium, which varies with each consumer.

To clarify, I do totally agree, well made demo's for Nintendo games would be great.

Also another point... Nes remix. Kinda paid for demo of Nes VC games. Maybe Nintendo could release a Wii U remix.....

I mean now they have a few games, and they could do 3rd party titles too, albeit with agreement.

Lego city, pikmin 3, mario kart, dkctf, nintendo land, 3d world, smash bros, new super mario bros U, the wii sports club, wii party, wind waker, zombi U, mario sonic olympics, monster hunter, COd, Nfs, fifa, mass effect, deus ex.... All with e-shop links...

But Nintendo shit isn't selling on name alone anymore, surely that's the real point? Drop prices plz...

I do think prices are a big deal. The Wii U has actually got a good line-up now, but it would cost a fortune to buy all the good games. A Player's Choice range would be welcome, as £20 is a good price for something you want, but are not desperate for.

The main problem I see with this is that the competition has 2-3 year old+ games that are below £10, or have even been given away for free or not much money (Plus/Steam). It's ok to argue that Nintendo games have their own unique feel and are high quality, but so are certain other publisher's games that have dropped in price as time goes by...

As with many aspects, adapting to certain modern trends or desires is key! Be different only where difference is good, and follow standards when standards are demanded.

But Nintendo shit isn't selling on name alone anymore, surely that's the real point? Drop prices plz...

Games wise, yes they are. Look at the Wii U's top sellers, pretty much exclusively Nintendo with the odd sprinkling of "other".

Dropping prices would always be welcome from the consumer... hopefully that loyalty thing Iwata mentioned will translate into something appealing.

Games wise, yes they are. Look at the Wii U's top sellers, pretty much exclusively Nintendo with the odd sprinkling of "other".

Dropping prices would always be welcome from the consumer... hopefully that loyalty thing Iwata mentioned will translate into something appealing.

Indeed. Considering most publishers are lucky to get these numbers on platforms with a userbase of 80 million, Nintendo's figures for their Wii U titles are very impressive.

But what does that mean? Nintendo's own games sell the best...on their own console? Hardly an achievement really, is it?

Actually, no, they sell the best out of all three manufacturers.

Sony PS4 around 3 million copies? in the top 20 or so...

Nintendo Wii U titles? over 10 million copies in just their top 10.

Microsoft X1similarly about 3 million copies in their top 20

Last gen?

Wii Nintendo 200+ million copies in their top ten. 20+ million average per title, 11 million for the lowest selling title.

PS3 Sony 10+ million copies in their top ten. that's from one game.

X360 microsoft 40+ million copies sold in their top ten with 4 games.

Microsoft come close, but for sheer breadth and selling power, Nintendo's top games do clearly out do their competitors.

Lack of 3rd party support may be part of it, as well as Nintendo fans purchasing Nintendo consoles, but facts be facts.

What about on an individual basis (as Nintendo have more games)? Where do Nintendo's games chart? I'm sure that recently at least, a lot of their games (at least Wii U) have not been charting that highly. Like DKC Tropical Freeze. And then I have a feeling they drop off big time...

If Nintendo's name was really selling like it always did, why aren't more buying the Wii U?

Also we're not talking last gen (naughty you). This is about the here and now situation Nintendo finds themself in.

What about on an individual basis (as Nintendo have more games)? Where do Nintendo's games chart? I'm sure that recently at least, a lot of their games (at least Wii U) have not been charting that highly. Like DKC Tropical Freeze. And then I have a feeling they drop off big time...

If Nintendo's name was really selling like it always did, why aren't more buying the Wii U?

Also we're not talking last gen (naughty you). This is about the here and now situation Nintendo finds themself in.

I mentioned last gen simply because the competition are a year behind, so I was showing it is reasonable to expect a similar out put.

In terms of charting, I presume you mean the weekly/monthly sales charts? and Nintendo's games tend to stick around nd have long legs. Hence the point with knack - it outsold Mario 3d world. Then knack died a sudden death. Mario 3d world has sold twice what knack sold, because it has legs.

Direct comparison ltd sales of software aren't entirely fair, Wii U has been around longer.

But the top ten 1st party as I understand it (I may be wrong so am open to corrections from those in the know)currently is something like:

New super mario bros U

Nintendo land

Super mario 3d world

Killzone

New super luigi U.

Wii Party U

Forza

Knack

Dead rising

Wind waker

As for the Wii U sales issue, that's been done to death, the reason the Wii U IS selling is the Nintendo name. I think if Sony/Microsoft had released a similar machine, it would be long gone. Thing is, Nintendo can drag it across the finish line on their own. Sony/Microsoft as games developers haven't shown a similar ability, their software seems to be less attractive on the whole, or their brand as a games developer is less prominent.

I guess looking at their origins that makes sense.

Edited by Pestneb

I'm not saying Nintendo software doesn't compete on some level with other manufacturer first party content (although it seems to be faring worse on Wii U). What I am saying is that I don't think Nintendo titles are as revered as they used to be, since I think more would buy the Wii U if that was the case. I remember Mario 64 literally selling the N64. I think the gaming landscape has changed a lot in the past 5 years - people more and more look for added value in their purchases.

Edited by Sheikah

For the first time ever, Nintendo of America will not have a presence at PAX East, which is taking place April 11 to 13.

Nintendo of America will not have a booth or any kind of presence at PAX East 2014, a company representative confirmed to us today.

Previously, Nintendo has had a booth at every previous PAX East and most every single PAX Prime as well. At 2013's PAX Prime, the company even hosted a panel on The Wonderful 101.

While Nintendo won't be there, a few eShop-friendly indie developers will be there, including Renegade Kid and Ackk Studios.

Seems a bit weird. I would have thought Nintendo would be using every opportunity to promote the Wii U.

Seems a bit weird. I would have thought Nintendo would be using every opportunity to promote the Wii U.

Are you on drugs or summat?

Nintendo do not actively seek opportunities to promote the Wii U they do the opposite.

Afterall why promote your business?

Nintendo are so retarded in many different ways. The Wii U is flopping hard (let's not dress it up, it's a failing console) and they should be using every opportunity to turn things around. Building better third party ties, more exposure, more marketing, more advertising.

What they're doing is the opposite of what they should be doing. It's not being "different" or unique, or clever.

What do the CEOs do all day? Plan how to dig themselves another hole?

Nintendo are so retarded in many different ways. The Wii U is flopping hard (let's not dress it up, it's a failing console) and they should be using every opportunity to turn things around. Building better third party ties, more exposure, more marketing, more advertising.

What they're doing is the opposite of what they should be doing. It's not being "different" or unique, or clever.

What do the CEOs do all day? Plan how to dig themselves another hole?

Who says they're not building better ties.

As for exposure & marketing/advertising, I believe they'll be going full force when Mario Kart's out.

The CEOs work the long game, not the short one. People expect instant changes and fixes, but that's impossible. Games take forever to develop, a price cut would be disastrous, especially if it's successful. Just giving it a price cut and a boost say now would be a very very very very short term solution.

Though, no idea about PAX East. At least it's not PAX Prime

Considering a lot of retailers have managed it, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo can afford to sell the premium console + latest big game for a £200 RRP.

But surely... If Nintendo are not making a profit off the Wii U at its current price, a price reduction while in a downward sales phase is a terrible idea?

Price isn´t the reason why the Wii U isn´t selling.

As for exposure & marketing/advertising, I believe they'll be going full force when Mario Kart's out.

The CEOs work the long game, not the short one. People expect instant changes and fixes, but that's impossible. Games take forever to develop, a price cut would be disastrous, especially if it's successful. Just giving it a price cut and a boost say now would be a very very very very short term solution.

Though, no idea about PAX East. At least it's not PAX Prime

Hold on Serebii, this time last year you were telling us of how Nintendo were planning to market the hell out of the machine in the second half of the year... that never happened. How do you still have your faith?

To be honest, mine has gone, Nintendo as a console manufacturer are rubbish, as a game developer there's none better (in my opinion).

Hold on Serebii, this time last year you were telling us of how Nintendo were planning to market the hell out of the machine in the second half of the year... that never happened. How do you still have your faith?

To be honest, mine has gone, Nintendo as a console manufacturer are rubbish, as a game developer there's none better (in my opinion).

Totally agree. That's why I would be happy if they just developed their home console games for another system. If they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen.

Who says they are? As with anything unproven, wisdom states we assume that isn't real/happening unless they can prove otherwise.

They did. For about a three week period, there was not a prime time advert break without a Super Mario 3D World advert.

Totally agree. That's why I would be happy if they just developed their home console games for another system. If they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen.

Last gen I'd have disagreed but they've taken too many mis-steps with the WiiU and their attitude toward online gaming for me that I no longer want them to make consoles. I'd love it if either Microsoft or Sony bought Nintendo. I'd say Sony for the games, although I can't stand the Dualshock 4... even though it's design is a lot better than prior Dualshocks, it still doesn't sit well with me because if the positioning of the analogue sticks. In fact, I much prefer the positioning of the Gamepad's analogue sticks and buttons.

They did. For about a three week period, there was not a prime time advert break without a Super Mario 3D World advert.

Advertising one game for 3 weeks is not a "huge marketing campaign for the second half of the year".

Dudebros, Nintendo are SERIOUS with their marketing now! They're in McDonalds for Christ's sake.

Yet don't include any marketing for the Wii U.

You don't need a GCSE in Business Studies to understand the wasted opportunity.