NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Would throwing in the original GameCube version as an exclusive download code with Wind Waker HD or a WiiU bundle make any difference to spur sales? I don't see Wind Waker being available to download separately any time soon.

How well did Ocarina of Time 3D sell btw? Just wondering what kind of sales to expect from the WW HD...

I think it was the first 3DS title to hit a million. Think it's pushing 2m sales atm

Would throwing in the original GameCube version as an exclusive download code with Wind Waker HD or a WiiU bundle make any difference to spur sales? I don't see Wind Waker being available to download separately any time soon.

What possible reason would there be to do that?

Yeah I checked wikipedia too, very good sales! Although like Grazza said, I remember there being quite a lot of hype for the game as well. I wonder if Nintendo will try to generate the same amount of excitement for the WWHD as well... (not buying it myself, didn't buy OoT3D either)

What possible reason would there be to do that?

Some may want to play the original. Some weren't happy with the bloom going on ( I don't know much knowledge about this though there was definitely people moaning).

Original Wind Waker came with OOT (and possibly Master Quest?) as a bonus so it's not like it would be the first time Nintendo threw in extras.

Some people feel incentivised to buy something if it comes with an exclusive they can't get anywhere else a bit like the surge of 3DS sales before the Ambassador program ended.

Just put a that E3 Zelda demo in there with two dungeons fully playable. That'll boost sales!

In reality we'll probably get Tetra's Trackers!

Some may want to play the original. Some weren't happy with the bloom going on ( I don't know much knowledge about this though there was definitely people moaning).

Original Wind Waker came with OOT (and possibly Master Quest?) as a bonus so it's not like it would be the first time Nintendo threw in extras.

Some people feel incentivised to buy something if it comes with an exclusive they can't get anywhere else a bit like the surge of 3DS sales before the Ambassador program ended.

Giving the same game as a digital download with lower resolution would not help, if anything it'd give the image of them not having confidence in their work. Other first-run bonuses like OoT with the original, sure, but not this.

Just put a that E3 Zelda demo in there with two dungeons fully playable. That'll boost sales!

In reality we'll probably get Tetra's Trackers!

Erm... Tetras Trackers would be amazing!!!

Erm... Tetras Trackers would be amazing!!!

You guys don't know what you're missing. That game is bloody amazing! It also doesn't require any Japanese knowledge (in fact, lacking Japanese knowledge just makes the whole thing even funnier :laughing: )

It is STILL a mainstay muliplayer game in my household, almost 10 years later! :D

I dont remember from when I had mine but does the console really just have Wii on the front instead of Wii U?

I dont remember from when I had mine but does the console really just have Wii on the front instead of Wii U?

Of course not

This is so messed up...

ku-bigpic.jpg

And people said there wouldn't be any confusion yet here we are 8 months on and this is still happening.

And people said there wouldn't be any confusion yet here we are 8 months on and this is still happening.

Question is how did that even happen? There's no artwork like that but there's a tonne of official art of the GamePad on top of an actual Wii U

Question is how did that even happen? There's no artwork like that but there's a tonne of official art of the GamePad on top of an actual Wii U

It's a stupid mistake but I still think Nintendo messed up designing a console that looks similar to the Wii and then decided to push the Gamepad as the 'new console'.

The Wii had so many accessories that you can see why people could make a mistake in thinking the 'Wii U' was another one:

Wii Balance Board

Wii Classic Controller

Wii MotionPlus

Wii Nunchuk

Wii Remote

Wii Wheel

Wii Zapper

Wii U

... :blank:

Words cannot even...

At this point I really don't care any more, the games will still come out for the system - Nintendo ones - and I'll enjoy them when they come along, the system might not be selling but I have my Wii U so right now I'm just thinking 'why should I care?'

Yes it would be nice to know that the console I own is doing well but ultimately, the company who made the console aren't just suddenly going to stop making games for it so... ::shrug:

Might as well enjoy the Wii U as if it's Nintendo's last home console! :D

I keep seeing people suggest Nintendo just pack it in and release a new one in a year or two. That would so not work. It'd cause even more delays, damage consumer faith in Nintendoand just generally destroy the company

damage consumer faith

This is the main reason I don't have a Wii U. My faith in Nintendo is a very low at the moment - I can't just purchase it assuming that the games I want will come along, or that the games I want will turn out to be games I like.

The existence of a Zelda game is not enough for me. I need to see the gameplay first.

... :blank:

Words cannot even...

At this point I really don't care any more, the games will still come out for the system - Nintendo ones - and I'll enjoy them when they come along, the system might not be selling but I have my Wii U so right now I'm just thinking 'why should I care?'

Yes it would be nice to know that the console I own is doing well but ultimately, the company who made the console aren't just suddenly going to stop making games for it so... ::shrug:

Might as well enjoy the Wii U as if it's Nintendo's last home console! :D

you're so right and you know what, for those of us who own a Wii U it's actually happy days, because of the negative BS and poor sales I have a massive collection of Wii U games a lot of which i got for under £15, 2 pro controllers for under £20 each, when PS4 and Xbox1 launch Wii U will suddenly seem a very, very cheap alternative. Nintendo have to make sure that COD Ghosts for Wii U is the full version so that it's a real alternative for people looking at a new console this Christmas.

I posted this on GAF the other day, it's rather fitting

The Wii U will not be a massive success. We need to accept this, you can bet Nintendo has accepted it.

However, people are doomsaying all based on the FY2014 Q1 sales. These sales represent a period of time for which there was no advertising, no marketing, and most importantly, no releases. Yes, these figures are absolutely dire, but the way people are acting, it's as if Nintendo put their all into these three months and it still failed.

Iwata said months ago that they shifted their marketing budget to the second half of the year. We now have at least one first party funded game coming each month in at least one region. We also have a plethora of third party titles finally coming out for the system.

Yes, the PS4 and Xbox One will have an effect on sales this holiday, but the Wii U is the cheaper alternative, and if Nintendo get the marketing just right then the Wii U will have a rebound. It won't suddenly set sales alight, that'd be ridiculous, but the Wii U is not dead and people need to stop acting like it is.

If they were to follow what many are suggesting, Nintendo would have to rush out a new console, which would take at least a year, shift all development that will elongate things and cause even more droughts and actually potentially make games not be as good as Nintendo intended.

Their best bet is to focus on marketing the Wii U and accept that it'll be a moderately selling, albeit profitable, machine.

I continue to maintain that the 3DS with its price cut and ambassador programme have done as much damage, if not more, than the marketing confusion. I so often see people say they're waiting for a price cut and announcement of an ambassador programme in order to jump in. I've been seeing it since before the console has come out.

People are expecting it straight out of the gate and that is unacceptable. I knew this was going to happen when they announced it. While it has helped turn the 3DS into a thriving machine, it has damaged Nintendo's business model

I keep seeing people suggest Nintendo just pack it in and release a new one in a year or two. That would so not work. It'd cause even more delays, damage consumer faith in Nintendoand just generally destroy the company

I agree but they did pull the virtual boy. They have to just ride this out as best they can but dont think the console's life will go beyond 3 years.

If retailers pull the console from shelves then they wont have a choice but to start again.