NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

What makes that advert even worse is that they don't even bloody explain that it's a new console until the VERY end! The advert is has 'Wii U' in the title but the whole thing is talking solely about the gamepad! To make it worse they actually state that it's like 'taking one great thing and making it better' and they BRIEFLY show the Wii U before shoving to one side...TO THE AVERAGE PERSON IT LOOKS THEY JUST SHOWED THE F*CKING WII and not a brand new system.

Omg the sheer stupidity is mindblowing.

Yes but even after all that, at the end it has arrows pointing 'NEW CONSOLE' and 'NEW CONTROLLER' so the average person would have to be pretty stupid not to know that it's a brand new machine...

... ah wait, we're talking about the general public here, I see your point. : peace:

Seriously though, these adverts have got to sell at least a handful of systems surely? Otherwise this is getting rather ridiculous even if we have got effectively a major game each month coming out. :blush:

As I've said before I'm not actually hugely bothered by this, I'll still get to enjoy all of these great games so I just find the situation amusing... it's funny because we can only help Nintendo so much but they don't seem to want to help themselves. ;)

They seem to be purely relying on people who already have the console to keep it afloat at this point.

well on the plus side, that commercial is too long for TV so its probably just some web/viral thing they've released. I hope they don't just edit it down and put it on tv because I think its terrible.

I really hope the marketing push for the fall this year is a lot better then this.

That commercial wasn't bad at all. In fact what they presented (possibility to play games off screen while your girlfriend watches something, quick menu access, etc) is exactly what the selling point of the gamepad is.

Oh Nintendo...

Embarrassing. I think the real difficult is how to market the console? What is the USP? Is it just a coincidence that the adverts here and in the US have been pretty damn awful?

Edited by liger05

It's not really an "advert" though, as much as online content. In fact, chances are the only people that will watch it are the likes of us. Kind of like this 3DS one with Joel McHale:

(and at least he made sense, with The Soup and all)

It's not really an "advert" though, as much as online content. In fact, chances are the only people that will watch it are the likes of us. Kind of like this 3DS one with Joel McHale:

(and at least he made sense, with The Soup and all)

True but its still awfully bad

This is exactly what people were moaning about before. It clearly shows it's a new console, that the pad is not an add on, and that it can improve gameplay. Sure it's cheesy but who cares. It's not a film.

Appalling stuff in every regard with that video. Naff music, camera views, no game footage, poor menu examples(no example from an actual game), flaming bacon cherry. Who is this guy? Did they find him in a dustbin, offer him half a beer and a packet of pork scratchings? University advertising students could come up with better and they wouldn't have to worry about matching Nintendo's budget as a fiver ought to cover it. It's like they don't even care at this stage. Worst part, this is only episode 1.

Appalling stuff in every regard with that video. Naff music, camera views, no game footage, poor menu examples(no example from an actual game), flaming bacon cherry. Who is this guy? Did they find him in a dustbin, offer him half a beer and a packet of pork scratchings? University advertising students could come up with better and they wouldn't have to worry about matching Nintendo's budget as a fiver ought to cover it. It's like they don't even care at this stage. Worst part, this is only episode 1.

Rufus Hound is a popular comedian in the UK, for one.

They couldn't use menu examples from other games for a) Legal reasons and b) Risking damaging third party relations

Edited by Serebii

I for one quite liked the ad...

But then I do like Rufus Hound...

Rufus Hound on Doctor Who Live was just utterly cringeworthy though :p

My mate came round last night before I went to the match.

I had the Wii U gamepad out from the night before.

He asked me whether nintendo was still making them as surely its time the Wii's successor to be released.

He thought it was some kind of shitty add on not an actual controller for the wii's successor!!

Rufus Hound is a popular comedian in the UK, for one.

They couldn't use menu examples from other games for a) Legal reasons and b) Risking damaging third party relations

What 3rd party relations? :D

My mate came round last night before I went to the match.

I had the Wii U gamepad out from the night before.

He asked me whether nintendo was still making them as surely its time the Wii's successor to be released.

He thought it was some kind of shitty add on not an actual controller for the wii's successor!!

Same thing happened to me when my brother brought his kids up the other month. He also thought it was an add on for the normal Wii. I imagine most of the general public think this and even though this new advert clearly states what is what now, it's like 9 months too late.

Wii fucking U. Still maintain they should have called it Striim or something - the name has really mashed up the perception of the console as something new(and no surprise, given all the wii 'title' titles). Disliked that Wii U difference, Rufus Hound looked a bit weirder than usual(one point for beards) and his blatant auto-cue reading and lack of actual gameplay usage was horrible for me.

As Ashley said though it's probs not going to be getting huge exposure, so hopefully not too bad. They need to get ads on the TeeVeeee

I can see why they carried on the Wii name, it's just the way they did it.

I still struggle to comprehend how people took the 2011 reveal as a "oh, I'm confused. Is it a new console?" when Reggie clearly stated it was

True but its still awfully bad

Mhm it is.

I think the problem is so much has to go through Nintendo of Japan it stifles things. These kind of adverts may work in Japan, whereby its normal to see a celebrity, presenter, people in their underwear and giant characters on a stage together, but not so much anywhere else.

I still struggle to comprehend how people took the 2011 reveal as a "oh, I'm confused. Is it a new console?" when Reggie clearly stated it was

Do you struggle to see how 99% of people won't have seen said conference?

The advert was OK. It does it's best to tell people what the game pad does and the idea of the system. However it's a long way off the glory days. I was speaking @kav82 and he came up with a great idea for adverts based on the older (and highly successful) Wii ad campaign.

Stage 1: NEW console + Backwards Compatible

You would start with Ant and Dec or two celebrities that have chemistry. One is playing the Wii, the other walks in with the Wii U. Explains it's the NEW console from Nintendo, but states don't throw away your Wii remote, all of the old accessories and games work with the new console.

Stage 2: The game pad difference

Then they start playing it. Ant having trouble on NSMBU, Dec places platforms for him. Ant wants to watch TV, Dec wants to game - shows off screen play. One wants to play using the sword on Zelda, the other with the bow - Nintendo Land asymmetric gaming.

Stage 3: The Games

They then show Ant & Dec playing a montage of popular Nintendo titles. NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD and Pikmin. All your Nintendo favourites on a NEW console.

Simple, clean, effective and fronted by popular household names that the general public like and trust. Just like the Wii adverts.

The big problem with the advert I've just watched comes from the name of the console. Wii Balance Board, Wii Motion Plus, Wii Play, Wii Zapper and Wii U. It could just be another entry in a long line of add-ons and accessories.

It should have kept the Wii name, but been clear and concise on the fact it was a follow up - Wii 2, simple and obvious.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Mhm it is.

I think the problem is so much has to go through Nintendo of Japan it stifles things. These kind of adverts may work in Japan, whereby its normal to see a celebrity, presenter, people in their underwear and giant characters on a stage together, but not so much anywhere else.

Do you struggle to see how 99% of people won't have seen said conference?

No, but the news reporters who were there and then misreported it, thus causing the confusion, were clearly there and/or watching therefore shouldn't have made the bloody mistake

Does it really matter how people were confused, the point is they were. After what happened with the 3DS where people got confused thinking it games would work on a DS Nintendo should of made sure there was no room for error with the with the Wii U.

You have to remember not everyone watched E3 or stuff like that. There are plenty of people who would of saw the gamepad via TV, print media or simply by walking into to a store and then thought ‘another wii addon’

If anything that 2011 E3 reveal simply made it look like Nintendo had produced their own gaming tablet.

It's a terribly made ad, devoid of and style or personality. There's genuinely nothing to love about that ad.

No, but the news reporters who were there and then misreported it, thus causing the confusion, were clearly there and/or watching therefore shouldn't have made the bloody mistake

It's Nintendo's job to communicate their message to the press first and foremost. They needed to be clear and succinct and they were everything but.

Yes, and many places reported otherwise. Including CNN which got harassed to change it because of that

I went for the bigger name places that your average joe is going to get news from (except The Sun as that's now paywalled).

As you said, CNN changed it. Two years ago. The fact confusion still exists, particularly after it was effectively re-unveiled at E3 2012, does not lie in the hands of CNN.

All I'm saying is that the confusion shouldn't have happened. I know that it did, but it shouldn't have. Simple as that