NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Anyone else's local HMV, stopped stocking Wii U and 3DS in the last few days? Just the other day, both my local stores had a pretty good display for the platforms, but yesterday, I noticed Bangor had gotten rid of all Nintendo stock from their store, and that Llandudno had this rather depressing display :-

1926752_10151930713956432_569559785_n.jpg

Guess I'm part of the problem as apart from one or two titles, all my games have come from online retailers since Wii U and 3DS launched. Still a sad sight to see.

Curious if it's happening nationwide in HMV stores, or just out here in rural Wales.

It may have something to do with them getting out of the preowned market and scaling back their games sections in general. I've noticed this at the one in the Metro Centre, with all the consoles display areas taking a hit.

I've heard thay'll stocking gaming merchandise, in place of the pre-owned games. Both stores had got rid of all their Vita stock as well.

Wonder if they'll have Nintendo plushies and figures in the stores that don't stock their games.

I am also part of the problem. I never buy games in store anymore - the only exception is COD, as I like to ensure I get it day one. Other than that I haven't purchased a single Wii U game in store since it came out. I just use online retailers or occasionally super markets. Game, HMV, Grainger - I give them all a miss these days.

I checked my HMV today (a reasonably big one) and they seem to no longer have any games for any format.

I checked mine and they had PS3 & 360 stuff, with a small area in both for Xbox One & PS4. No 3DS or Wii U whatsoever.

Are they quietly killing off their entire games sections then?

Possibly but if not they are certainly scaling things back.

Got really confused for a second as I thought you were all talking about GAME. Then I was like "What would they call themselves?"

Doy.

As sad as it is, buying games on the highstreet is an archaic and dying practice. They're just too damn expensive. We need some reasonably priced representation, something to rival GAME and HMV.

I just bought Super Mario 3D World for £25 online. In a store (if they even stocked it in the first place) it would cost almost double that. Just...why? There's no incentive or real reason to go into a store these days and buy a game when you can get it online for much cheaper. Plus, when the fuck would I go anyway? Stores close around 5/6 o'clock, so there's no way I could get there after work. So, that leaves the weekend. Buy it online in the week and you could have it by the weekend anyway. Pluuuus, parking charges seem to be going up if you do have to drive into the town centre.

It's sad, but the world has changed.

I don't buy online, even if it is cheaper. I go to my local Grainger Games to purchase my games, the reason I do is because they love gaming in there. I don't just go in and buy the game, I chat with them, have a little banter and see what games they're looking forward to as well as what they make of the game I'm buying/pre-ordering. I love that the shop has that! It's much more than a place that I get my games from. :)

Also, they don't take my name when pre-ordering, they simply know me as Nintendo Guy... because I'm the only sodding guy that buys WiiU stuff! Haha

I'm same as @kav82, I only buy in store, partly cause I like to ensure I get the game on day one but mainly cause I do like interacting with the staff there also.

Same as Kav, they don't ask for my name when I'm pre-ordering, they know me as soon as I walk in.... never been called "the Nintendo guy" though but I'd say there's a good chance that's what they refer to me as when I'm not there :heh:

Unfortunately I just don't have the money to buy instore when it is often cheaper online.

As much as I would like to support local retail it just isn't viable for me. Why would I for example buy a £40 quid 3rd party game from a store when I can get it for £15 online? The savings that I make by buying online has resulted me in being able to afford more games.

Principles and preferring to buy instore just cost too much £££ for me.

It's not just the price, Shopto and even GAME online get your preordered games to you a day or two early. Cheaper games and a day early. No brainer really.

IGN are talking about what's happened to the Yoshi's Island series:

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/03/29/can-nintendo-redeem-yoshis-island-for-its-hardcore-fans-nintendo-podcast

@1:15 I lolled at NEW Super Metroid, where you would just be a giant Morph Ball rolling across the screen :D

That's totally what Nintendo would do :p

Interesting point they make at the end. They could be doing more harm than good to the franchise at this point.

I disagree that the series has gotten easier as it's went on though. It started off challenging, went super easy, went challenging again and now it's back to being easy.

The only one that stands out as a masterpiece to me is the original. I did enjoy Yoshis Story but Yoshis Island DS and the new one were/are awful.

As sad as it is, buying games on the highstreet is an archaic and dying practice. They're just too damn expensive. We need some reasonably priced representation, something to rival GAME and HMV.

I just bought Super Mario 3D World for £25 online. In a store (if they even stocked it in the first place) it would cost almost double that. Just...why? There's no incentive or real reason to go into a store these days and buy a game when you can get it online for much cheaper. Plus, when the fuck would I go anyway? Stores close around 5/6 o'clock, so there's no way I could get there after work. So, that leaves the weekend. Buy it online in the week and you could have it by the weekend anyway. Pluuuus, parking charges seem to be going up if you do have to drive into the town centre.

It's sad, but the world has changed.

Well, outside London... :p

I don't buy online, even if it is cheaper. I go to my local Grainger Games to purchase my games, the reason I do is because they love gaming in there. I don't just go in and buy the game, I chat with them, have a little banter and see what games they're looking forward to as well as what they make of the game I'm buying/pre-ordering. I love that the shop has that! It's much more than a place that I get my games from. :)

Also, they don't take my name when pre-ordering, they simply know me as Nintendo Guy... because I'm the only sodding guy that buys WiiU stuff! Haha

I've heard good things about Grainger, but we don't have anything like that around here. I think there's only a few of them dotted around the country? Either way, there's just not enough of these types of shops to make a true difference. Gamestation used to be the place you could go to for a decent chat about games (and GAME, although that's store depending) but it's not the same anymore and hasn't been for years.

Well, outside London... :p

Laaaandaaan. You Londoners have it easy with your long opening hours and your monuments. :p

Interesting point they make at the end. They could be doing more harm than good to the franchise at this point.

I disagree that the series has gotten easier as it's went on though. It started off challenging, went super easy, went challenging again and now it's back to being easy.

The only one that stands out as a masterpiece to me is the original. I did enjoy Yoshis Story but Yoshis Island DS and the new one were/are awful.

They had a great discussion on a recent NWR podcast regarding the Yoshi games. They all agreed that they seem stuck trying to replicate an old classic instead of trying something different, which is ultimately holding them back.

They had a great discussion on a recent NWR podcast regarding the Yoshi games. They all agreed that they seem stuck trying to replicate an old classic instead of trying something different, which is ultimately holding them back.

Was that the episode with Greg? It's a fair point though. One of the things that made Yoshis Island so great was that it was so unique, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Was that the episode with Greg? It's a fair point though. One of the things that made Yoshis Island so great was that it was so unique, both visually and in terms of gameplay.

Yeah it was that one. Greg's voice always makes me laugh lol.

It's not just the price, Shopto and even GAME online get your preordered games to you a day or two early. Cheaper games and a day early. No brainer really.

Very much this. Day/days early and cheaper. And no more effort than a click.

Online FTW. Flink is right about the dying high street. not only do I have to drive to the place, but then you (as noted) have to pay to park and usually grab food too. As a WiiU owner you aren't always going to find the title you want either. I'd rather buy online for a better price and avoid the rank stores that have been bought as cheaply as possible in my local town.

If this were possible for me I'd prolly switch to online buying too, before it wasn't possible as no online retailers have a base in Ireland so it would take a few extra days in post.

But last year found out Amazon opened a storehouse in Ireland, tried to pre-order once to see if I'd get the game early or not (Deus Ex...with the added bonus that it was dirt cheap BY A MILE compared to in store) but it still didn't arrive till the Monday after release :(

Might try again in the future but only with a 3rd party game..... if there are ever anymore that I want (what's the latest on Watch_Dogs? Is that still "on the way" for Wii U or did they outright cancel yet?)

Amazon are dodgy when it comes to preordered games, that's why I never use them. Many on Gaf often get games on the Saturday or Monday after release.