NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I'll say it again, the sooner Nintendo stop pretending to be home console manufacturers these days the better. Some great software here and there but for most it's simply not enough to really justify their own (crappy spec) hardware.

Become third party - we can only dream.

There was a quality post on Gaf that I read this morning. It highlights a lot of the problems with the a Wii U, 3rd party problems and Nintendo in general at the moment. I found myself agreeing with a lot of it.

HERE

Will all this terrible third party news change nintendo in the future?

I seriously doubt it. Nintendo work in there own bubble and dont seem to actually care about third parties.

Well if it is confirmed that it isn't seeing a release on the Wii U, on top everything else that's come from 3rd parties in recent days and that paltry 3rd party release schedule, the console is well and truly dead in the water. If this doesn't light a fire under Nintendo's backside to do something to repair the situation with developers and publishers then nothing will and they'll be stranded forever in limbo.

I'd suspect all the recent bad 3rd party news is filtering back to some unhappy faces at all of Nintendo's offices and would bet they're pushing forward development of the next home console to be released quicker than they originally planned or wanted. But if the rumours of a dual handheld/home console setup reflect the way Nintendo want to go, they really do need to think again because they're going to fall into the same trap of overcharging hardware.

So yeah, bad times. They really do need to do something, anyone arguing otherwise really is blind to what's going on.

Nintendo won't die tomorrow though and that's not helping their outlook imo. The more time goes on I genuinely believe we are right now witnessing a long and inevitable demise, but they'll keep limping along, fighting til the bitter end, and when they finally give up the ghost in a few years it'll be too far along and too deep in the hole to do anything about it. Too late to lay a attribute a solid or accurate cause to it, and who knows where the people who made the decisions now will be then. They NEED to change up now and fast, I honestly can't see them surviving otherwise.

Will all this terrible third party news change nintendo in the future?

I seriously doubt it. Nintendo work in there own bubble and dont seem to actually care about third parties.

I find myself wondering more and more, what do Nintendo actually care about? Feeling more irrelevant by the day.

You know all this doom and gloom sounds very much like the gc days.

GC/WiiU :

a lunch box? is this a sick joke?/Wii u?? is this a sick joke????

lack of 3rd party titles/lack of 3rd party titles

tiny discs = too low capacity/tiny internal memory storage = too low capacity

online sucks./Online sucks.

No software :(/No software

3rd parties are evil, they hate Nintendo/3rd parties are evil, they hate Nintendo

Just saying.

You know all this doom and gloom sounds very much like the gc days.

GC/WiiU :

a lunch box? is this a sick joke?/Wii u?? is this a sick joke????

lack of 3rd party titles/lack of 3rd party titles

tiny discs = too low capacity/tiny internal memory storage = too low capacity

online sucks./Online sucks.

No software :(/No software

3rd parties are evil, they hate Nintendo/3rd parties are evil, they hate Nintendo

Just saying.

So you're saying they didn't learn a thing ? :D

By all accounts the GC was classed as a failure ( business/sales wise ). Even Iwata essentially admitted it.

Hmm, a bit of a shitty week in terms of third party games not appearing on the system. What did we expect, really?

I hope Nintendo's content for the system in 2015 and beyond is stellar. It'll have to be, since that's all we'll be playing. I truly wonder if next year could be the final year for the WiiU, or will it run until 2016? If it makes it to its fourth year anniversary, then at least that's something.

I can't see how Nintendo are going to get back the type of gamers who play games like Call of Duty, GTA and PES/FIFA. I really do think that they're gone. Imo, that sort of crowd belongs on the MS or Sony systems, so the best Nintendo can hope for (and they know this) is to be an "and" choice. So, PS4 AND WiiU, XBone AND WiiU. The only way to do that would be to offer alternatives or stuff that you can't get on the other systems. In this case, it'll most likely be their own stuff. But, if they could at least get third parties on board to create new games for the system, then that would draw people in.

I'd be quite comfortable owning a Sony machine and a Nintendo one, but they need to do more to entice gamers to do this. Their own stuff simply isn't enough. Some of my favourite Wii games were PES2011 (amazing, amazing game), Muramasa, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Dead Space Extraction, Little King Story and de Blob. So, you need the third party stuff because Nintendo won't or can't create content like some of these games.

Ah f#ck it! This feels like a funeral. That's it now. Wii U is officially dead. Nintendo has to take drastic action. We're not just talking about Wii U, it's their very future that depends on it. I'm angry and sad both in equal measure. This is all Nintendos doing. I really am fuming. They've really dropped the ball here. Dreamcast had the label of the most renowned failed console but Wii U will easily take that crown. I'm so pissed off and God help you know who if he tries to defend this. I'm clutching at straws I know but if you knew you were dying or your business was failing you'd do everything in your power to fight for life. What in Gods name are Nintendo doing about this catastrophe? In the eyes of the public very little. Words fail me.

Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare is comeing to Wii U the source code on the website says so oh and Iwata should go

Ah f#ck it! This feels like a funeral. That's it now. Wii U is officially dead. Nintendo has to take drastic action. We're not just talking about Wii U, it's their very future that depends on it. I'm angry and sad both in equal measure. This is all Nintendos doing. I really am fuming. They've really dropped the ball here. Dreamcast had the label of the most renowned failed console but Wii U will easily take that crown. I'm so pissed off and God help you know who if he tries to defend this. I'm clutching at straws I know but if you knew you were dying or your business was failing you'd do everything in your power to fight for life. What in Gods name are Nintendo doing about this catastrophe? In the eyes of the public very little. Words fail me.

Ok. Does that mean you'll stop shitting up Wii U threads now, then?

============

The thing is, the Wii U's failure is indicative of something very wrong in the industry. It is collapsing.

People say "Look at the PS4. It has sold 10 million in 9 months". Well yes, that's great, even though the Wii did 13.6million in the same period of its life. However, the PS4 and Xbox One sales were ridiculously frontloaded and look at the NPDs.

Last month, the first July of the life of two of the consoles (estimated):

PS4 ~ 187k

XB1 ~ 131k

3DS ~ 108k

Wii U ~ 80.5k

360 ~ 54k

PS3 ~ 32.5k

PSV ~ 16k

Wii ~ 14k

Compare to the July the Xbox 360 was new

DS = 377,000

PS2 = 241,000

360 = 206,000

GBA = 163,000

PSP = 161,000

GCN = 44,000

Xbox = 12,000

And the July the Wii & PS3was new

WII - 425k

NDS - 405k

PS2 - 222k

PSP - 214k

360 - 170k

PS3 - 159k

GBA - 87k

There is a clear contracting in the industry. The PS4 is doing relatively well, the Xbox One is pushing it, and the Wii U isn't doing well, but things aren't good at all.

July 2007 had the PS3 at 159k and everyone was saying it was a flop, and that was after the price cut, yet the PS4 is doing just a tiny bit better, and is being applauded for selling amazingly.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for the Wii U's failure as Nintendo made oh so many mistakes. They needed to pander to the "ZOMG MORE SPECS" that some of the audience and, unfortunately, western developers care so much about. As such, developers struggled to port their engines properly, and so people didn't bother buying their late and/or dodgy ports. They also needed to actually market the bloody thing and make it clear it wasn't a new peripheral for the Wii.

Nintendo are doing what they do best, though. They are creating software and hardware in a symbiosis style, and it really shows when you look at their output. Yes, the GamePad was a miscalculation, but if they had gone the same route as the others and we had a third x86 console, I am willing to bet that the industry would contract more and Nintendo's console would do worse.

There are dark times ahead for the industry.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

They are probably doing plenty behind closed doors. They aren't going to divulge all of their plans to everyone on the interwebs You think they are just sitting on their hands watching all of this happen?

You probably don't want to hear this but the fact is that there isn't really anything they can do now with the Wii U. The support is drying up and the machine specs can't be changed. All Nintendo can do is continue to put out quality software and hopefully learn from their mistakes and get ready for their next console.

I know there are few on here that only go with one console per gen and this is fine. If you're not happy with the Wii U then in the future you need to take a look at what games you want to play more, Nintendo 1st party titles or 3rd party titles. Either that or don't buy it day one and just have a look what kind of support the console will have after a year or so.

There was a quality post on Gaf that I read this morning. It highlights a lot of the problems with the a Wii U, 3rd party problems and Nintendo in general at the moment. I found myself agreeing with a lot of it.

HERE

Awesome post! Nail on the head :)

Awesome post! Nail on the head :)

Glad someone read it. :D

Yeah, it was buried in one of the Wii U threads yesterday on Gaf and I thought I would save it as I knew I would use it at some point on here.

In a more positive story, I bought an extended battery for the gamepad, I absolutely destroyed the screws on the back of the gamepad and threaded them, it was impossible to get it off. Called Nintendo (no waiting, straight to a human voice) who said send it in and we'll swap it for you, ni charge, they'll even pay for the postage. So I did, 5 days later and it came back (with new screws) and the gamepad looking so brand new I'm still convinced it's a brand new gamepad. Perfect customer service.

In a more positive story, I bought an extended battery for the gamepad, I absolutely destroyed the screws on the back of the gamepad and threaded them, it was impossible to get it off. Called Nintendo (no waiting, straight to a human voice) who said send it in and we'll swap it for you, ni charge, they'll even pay for the postage. So I did, 5 days later and it came back (with new screws) and the gamepad looking so brand new I'm still convinced it's a brand new gamepad. Perfect customer service.

That's great to hear but don't tell @Blade that.

============

The thing is, the Wii U's failure is indicative of something very wrong in the industry. It is collapsing.

People say "Look at the PS4. It has sold 10 million in 9 months". Well yes, that's great, even though the Wii did 13.6million in the same period of its life. However, the PS4 and Xbox One sales were ridiculously frontloaded and look at the NPDs.

PS4 ~ 187k

XB1 ~ 131k

3DS ~ 108k

Wii U ~ 80.5k

360 ~ 54k

PS3 ~ 32.5k

PSV ~ 16k

Wii ~ 14k

DS = 377,000

PS2 = 241,000

360 = 206,000

GBA = 163,000

PSP = 161,000

GCN = 44,000

Xbox = 12,000

WII - 425k

NDS - 405k

PS2 - 222k

PSP - 214k

360 - 170k

PS3 - 159k

GBA - 87k

There is a clear contracting in the industry. The PS4 is doing relatively well, the Xbox One is pushing it, and the Wii U isn't doing well, but things aren't good at all.

But you're ignoring crucial context. You're comparing the first 10 months to the sales on consoles that are much further along in their lifecycles.

PlayStation:

4 months (one territory) – March 31st, 1995 – 0.85 million

10 months – September 30th, 1995 – 1.77 million

16 months – March 31st, 1996 – 4.26 million

22 months – September 30th, 1996 – 8.07 million

28 months – March 31st, 1997 – 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) – March 31st, 2000 – 1.41 million

7 months (one territory) – September 30th, 2000 – 3.52 million

13 months – March 31st, 2001 – 10.61 million

19 months – September 30th, 2001 – 19.58 million

22 months – December 30th, 2001 – 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month – December 31st, 2006 – 1.7 million

4 months – March 31st, 2007 – 3.5 million

7 months – June 30th, 2007 – 4.2 million

10 months – September 30th, 2007 – 5.5 million

13 months – December 31st, 2007 – 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day – November 16th, 2013 – 1 million

2 weeks – December 1st, 2013 – 2.1 million

1 month – December 28th, 2013 – 4.2 million

3 months – February 8th, 2014 – 5.3 million

10 months - August 10th - 10 million

How does that show a clear contraction?

You say,

July 2007 had the PS3 at 159k and everyone was saying it was a flop, and that was after the price cut, yet the PS4 is doing just a tiny bit better, and is being applauded for selling amazingly.

But that's six months after launch, you've cherry picked that. Historically, all big consoles have hit their stride sales wise in their seconds year. Except the PS3, which showed close to no growth whatsoever in its second year and the reason why it was being labelled as a failure (among other things like launching off the biggest selling console of all time).

console_sales_chart.png

The point at which these new consoles launched was so much later in the lifecycle than any previous generation of consoles - that sampaling you've made is completely without context. There's very little evidence to support this DOOM AND GLOOM industry collapse you keep attempting to prophecise.

But you're ignoring crucial context. You're comparing the first 10 months to the sales on consoles that are much further along in their lifecycles.

How does that show a clear contraction?

You say,

But that's six months after launch, you've cherry picked that. Historically, all big consoles have hit their stride sales wise in their seconds year. Except the PS3, which showed close to no growth whatsoever in its second year and the reason why it was being labelled as a failure (among other things like launching off the biggest selling console of all time).

console_sales_chart.png

The point at which these new consoles launched was so much later in the lifecycle than any previous generation of consoles - that sampaling you've made is completely without context. There's very little evidence to support this DOOM AND GLOOM industry collapse you keep attempting to prophecise.

What the frak are you on about? It's not 6 months after the launch.

November 2006 - July 2007 = 9 months on sale

November 2013 - July 2014 = 9 months on sale

I was comparing sales industry wide then and now. I was not comparing PS4 sales to say the DS in 2007. For those examples, I was clearly stating the industry wide decline. Stop warping my posts to fit with your "Serebii is against Sony" folderol.

As I said, people were considering the PS3's sales at ~150k to be a massive flop, and again, we're celebrating the PS4 being amazing with similar sales. The entire industry is contracting, not the Sony part.

I suggest you actually read the post before going off on one. Thanks :)

Edited by Serebii

I wasn't going off on one. I was trying to have a discussion.

Welcome to my ignore list. You can't get hostility out of your mind.

So you're saying they didn't learn a thing ? :D

By all accounts the GC was classed as a failure ( business/sales wise ). Even Iwata essentially admitted it.

Yup, and I love my cube. I actually bought my Wii U on the basis it looks like by all accounts, it will be classed as a failure (business/sales wise). It seems those are my favourite consoles.

============

PS4 ~ 187k

XB1 ~ 131k

3DS ~ 108k

Wii U ~ 80.5k

360 ~ 54k

PS3 ~ 32.5k

PSV ~ 16k

Wii ~ 14k

DS = 377,000

PS2 = 241,000

360 = 206,000

GBA = 163,000

PSP = 161,000

GCN = 44,000

Xbox = 12,000

WII - 425k

NDS - 405k

PS2 - 222k

PSP - 214k

360 - 170k

PS3 - 159k

GBA - 87k

I'm not saying that this is the reason for the Wii U's failure as Nintendo made oh so many mistakes. They needed to pander to the "ZOMG MORE SPECS" that some of the audience and, unfortunately, western developers care so much about. As such, developers struggled to port their engines properly, and so people didn't bother buying their late and/or dodgy ports. They also needed to actually market the bloody thing and make it clear it wasn't a new peripheral for the Wii.

Nintendo are doing what they do best, though. They are creating software and hardware in a symbiosis style, and it really shows when you look at their output. Yes, the GamePad was a miscalculation, but if they had gone the same route as the others and we had a third x86 console, I am willing to bet that the industry would contract more and Nintendo's console would do worse.

There are dark times ahead for the industry.

This talk belongs in the sales thread @Serebii and @Daft.

Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare is comeing to Wii U the source code on the website says so...

Not according to the developers and Activision, so say IGN...

http://trib.al/b7Q8MIc

Edited by Kav

Or more likely the website code is shared among different sites, and the unneeded code was hidden rather than deleted.

Well now. This is random...

DF6E07E3-4B67-47BA-A8C4-1C67DC4B4166_zpsqxea5pqp.png

I'm all for a bit of money off, but what a bloody load of effort!

Can't see many people actually doing this... ::shrug: