NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Pundits and commentators were saying that this was Arsenal's first real test against an out-and-out top quality side.

How do you feel about that quote, @dazzybee? :p

Arsenal's form since losing at Shite Hart Lane and AVB proclaiming we're in a 'negative spiral';

WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWWWW

How do you feel about that quote, @dazzybee? :p

Commentators are clueless c*nts that's how I feel. Not even being a spurs fan it's a preposterous statement. How many teams go to the emeriates and have way more possession than the "possession kings".

But to be honest I don't really care. It was probably someone clueless like Andy Townsend. I mute most commentators now bar Spurs matches and play Runner 2 on the gamepad :)

Just to wade into this argument with an interesting point (don't think it's been made yet...) Although I am a self confessed AVB fan I do like both Spurs and Arsenal (man on the fence) however, who represents the better value, Ozil or Eriksen?

In my opinion Ozil is the better player, but at £42.5 Mil compared with £11 mil for Eriksen, I'm not sure the gulf in class is that much. Much like the Paulinho/Fernandinho comparison, is Fernandinho really double the worth of Paulinho? (not counting Lamela in yet, still got a long way to prove £30 mill price tag.)

I think both Spurs and Arsenal have the two best all rounded midfields in the prem, both attack and defence are well covered with depth as well. However Arsenal still need to sort out a new keeper I think, I worry Scezecsny (sp) could cost them at the business end of the season!

Just to wade into this argument with an interesting point (don't think it's been made yet...) Although I am a self confessed AVB fan I do like both Spurs and Arsenal (man on the fence) however, who represents the better value, Ozil or Eriksen?

In my opinion Ozil is the better player, but at £42.5 Mil compared with £11 mil for Eriksen, I'm not sure the gulf in class is that much. Much like the Paulinho/Fernandinho comparison, is Fernandinho really double the worth of Paulinho? (not counting Lamela in yet, still got a long way to prove £30 mill price tag.)

I think both Spurs and Arsenal have the two best all rounded midfields in the prem, both attack and defence are well covered with depth as well. However Arsenal still need to sort out a new keeper I think, I worry Scezecsny (sp) could cost them at the business end of the season!

The more direct comparison would be when Ozil was around Eriksen's age and moved to Madrid, costing roughly £12 Million. I'm not after starting another debate but in my view, Arsenal player or not, there is a distinct gulf in class between the players. Ozil's stats are unrivalled anyone other player in the world.

But value is a tricky object to quantify. Ozil cost so much because he's a proven player leaving a massive club, going to a club not exactly quiet about how much they have to spend. Eriksen is an elite prospect whose unproven at the highest level leaving a club that routinely sells it's best players.

The more direct comparison would be when Ozil was around Eriksen's age and moved to Madrid, costing roughly £12 Million. I'm not after starting another debate but in my view, Arsenal player or not, there is a distinct gulf in class between the players. Ozil's stats are unrivalled anyone other player in the world.

But value is a tricky object to quantify. Ozil cost so much because he's a proven player leaving a massive club, going to a club not exactly quiet about how much they have to spend. Eriksen is an elite prospect whose unproven at the highest level leaving a club that routinely sells it's best players.

...I'll get my coat...

I think it's a great point perfectly argued. Ozil is PROVEN to be better, yes. But he's not four times better than eriksen (I wouldn't put him at twice as good). As always, the end of the season is the only thing that can decide these debates.

But last season I said Podolski wouldn't get 20 goals and was laughed at in the same way by all these arsenal fans.

I said Di Mateo would be the first person to be sacked after Chelsea had an amazing start.

And I said Vertonghen was an amazing player, and better than Vermaelen. He was immense, got in the team of the year and anyone other than gooners would agree.

I think it's a great point perfectly argued. Ozil is PROVEN to be better, yes. But he's not four times better than eriksen (I wouldn't put him at twice as good). As always, the end of the season is the only thing that can decide these debates.

But last season I said Podolski wouldn't get 20 goals and was laughed at in the same way by all these arsenal fans.

I said Di Mateo would be the first person to be sacked after Chelsea had an amazing start.

And I said Vertonghen was an amazing player, and better than Vermaelen. He was immense, got in the team of the year and anyone other than gooners would agree.

You also said Tottenham would finish above Arsenal.

I'd comfortably put Ozil 4 times better than Eriksen (quite easily more). As you say, we'll see come the end of the season.

You also said Tottenham would finish above Arsenal.

I'd comfortably put Ozil 4 times better than Eriksen (quite easily more). As you say, we'll see come the end of the season.

We've been getting closer and closer and closer, and this season will be it :D

There are far more aspects to how much a player costs than just how good he is. Age and time length on contract spring to mind.

There are far more aspects to how much a player costs than just how good he is. Age and time length on contract spring to mind.

And some silly bastards mugging off clubs for PG Tips.

In my opinion, Ozil is the best player of his type in the world. He's a wonderful player, miles better than Eriksen. Eriksen isn't even as good as Coutinho.

Price alone can be a horrendously unreliable way to judge how good a player is.

Andy Carroll.

Price alone can be a horrendously unreliable way to judge how good a player is.

Andy Carroll.

Gareth Bale ;)

Why don't you guys do best 11 v best 11 of both sides and then say who you'd say was better for each position. There better be swaps because anyone can see Lloris is better than Sczesny and Ozil is preferable to Eriksen...

Why don't you guys do best 11 v best 11 of both sides and then say who you'd say was better for each position. There better be swaps because anyone can see Lloris is better than Sczesny and Ozil is preferable to Eriksen...

Because I only initially stated our midfield was the best in the league.

We don't need a team comparison, the game the other week took care of that until March.

@Blade Your mate Gary Madine has been jailed today.

Gary Madine jailed for Sheffield nightclub attacks on fans

A footballer who assaulted two fans in separate attacks in nightclubs has been jailed for 18 months.

Sheffield Wednesday striker Gary Madine was convicted last month of assaults on two men in clubs in the city.

Madine, 23, hit Daniel Beresford in the Paris Bar in February 2012 and, four weeks later, attacked Reece Hall in the Viper Rooms, Leeds Crown Court heard.

His solicitor said he had thrown away his talent due to "drink, childish behaviour and a temper problem".

Judge Rodney Jameson QC sentenced the footballer, who has a previous conviction for assault, to 12 months for causing Mr Hall grievous bodily harm and six months for causing Mr Beresford actual bodily harm.

Broken jaw

Madine's trial had heard he punched Mr Beresford, a Sheffield Wednesday fan, knocking him unconscious and breaking his nose.

Mr Beresford said Madine, who joined the Owls from Carlisle United and is originally from Gateshead, had been staring at him in the bar and, when he had asked why, the player lashed out.

The victim had told the jury: "He was one of my favourite players, someone I looked up to."

The court was told Mr Hall, a Sheffield United fan, was left with a broken jaw and a fractured cheek after Madine asked him who he supported.

Bricklayer Mr Hall, who did not recognise the Wednesday striker, replied "United", and moments later he was punched in the eye.

He suffered a broken jaw and his cheek was fractured in five places.

In both cases Madine was cleared of more serious charges - counts of causing grievous bodily harm against Mr Beresford, whom he said he hit in self-defence, and of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Mr Hall.

'Lashed out'

Alison Dorrell, defending Madine, said: "He is not an asset to his club any more." She told the court he would struggle to restart his career after serving a prison sentence.

Judge Jameson said the assaults occurred when the footballer "lashed out" when drunk with "little, if any, thought for the consequences".

He said: "When sober there is no reason to suppose that you would misbehave but I have to sentence you for serious offences which reflect the other side of your character.

"The side which comes out when you are in drink, which causes unprovoked violence causing serious injuries to innocent members of the public."

Madine was ordered to pay £1,500 in compensation to Mr Beresford and £4,200 in court costs. Ms Dorrell said she believed this would be difficult for the defendant as he had not been paid by the club since he was convicted last month.

She said he was struggling to pay a mortgage on the house where his family lived.

The judge said other professional footballers had rebuilt careers after serving time in jail and told Madine there was no reason why he could not.

Sheffield Wednesday said they had no comment to make yet and would issue a statement in due course.

Madine joined the South Yorkshire club from Carlisle in January 2011 and was top scorer with 18 goals as the team won promotion from League One in 2012. Last season he scored four goals in 35 games in the Championship.

The striker, who has had loan spells at Rochdale, Coventry and Chesterfield, came on as a substitute in the first two games of this season but has not played since.

Gary Madine profile

Born 24 August, 1990

Signed for Carlisle United in 2007

Loaned to Rochdale, Coventry City and Chesterfield

Signed for Sheffield Wednesday in January 2011 for an undisclosed fee

In the 2012-13 season he made 35 appearances for the Owls scoring four goals

He has made two substitute appearances this season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24398799

Good riddance to scum like that.

@kav82 has come across for my birthday.

Im taking him to a Sheffield United match! He's so excited haha!

Where would you be based on Second half? :p

Relegation zone, probably. :p

Hard fought point for Arsenal, West Brom were a constant threat with Sessegnon & Berahino. Well played by Wenger for keeping Wilshere on, he kept fighting hard and linked up well to get the equaliser.

International break coming up just at the right time.

That's what happens when you start Jermaine Fucking Defoe. I said we'd be atrocious when I saw he started. Painful painful match.