NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Time attack is awesome! Getting gold is pretty tough too. :o

3mSzmCm.jpg

Don't expect my place on the leaderboard to last, so had to take a pic. :heh:

Also, I hope that's not indicative of the amount of N-E peeps that bought this game. :hmm: I know it isn't (some obviously haven't played TA mode yet) but still kind of worrying. :woops:

Oh my god, you can confirm compare with friends... if only every single one of their other games did this? :)

And you can watch any of those videos?! Is that right?!

Oh my god, you can confirm compare with friends... if only every single one of their other games did this? :)

And you can watch any of those videos?! Is that right?!

Yep, any record with that green tick next to it has a replay that you can watch. It's awesome. :cool:

Same applies to the worldwide leaderboard too. I watched the replay of the best time on the first stage, which is already absolutely insane. :o

I haven't bought it YET, and you're making me want to get it sooner rather than later.

I have a massive backlog of uncompleted games atm (that I am currently trying to address) that I still have SM3DW in the plastic wrap.

And were apparently in a drought :p

I watched the replay of the best time on the first stage, which is already absolutely insane. :o

This is gonna get ridiculous...

image74fki.jpg

Kudos @RedShell

Some of the runs are mental considering it hasn't been out long.

Also, some of the temple levels are insanity. I've lost hundreds of lives on those levels.

Thought I'd let you all hear my fav. piece of music from the game (spoiler free). Gives me goosebumps and gave me vivid memories of how good Rare were back in the day and how many good memories I have of playing their games, revelling in Wise and companies soundtracks. :love:

In surround sound it's just beautiful.

Kudos @RedShell
Cheers. :)

Just managed a no damage run and improved my time to 01:44.37. :yay:

Some of the runs are mental considering it hasn't been out long.
Tell me about it. My new record on 1-1 puts me in 93rd place on the global rankings, but that's still 10 seconds behind 1st place!! :o

Time Attack is going to add a lot of replay value to this game. :cool:

Cheers. :)

Time Attack is going to add a lot of replay value to this game. :cool:

And that's just the first level!

Also: the detail in this game is stunning for those who are yet to play it. Every level is a real sight to behold in regards to artistry and design. Here's an image I took to show you all. Thankfully there's no time limit in the single player mode. :)

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ewrp6.jpg

Picked this up earlier, as i'm getting a little sick of Mario games at present. Using the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo, and wow. Certainly is better than playing using the Gamepad i've been finding so far. Only put in about an hour, taking my time exploring the levels and seeing what wonders are hidden behind every door/wall/panel etc.

Also: the detail in this game is stunning for those who are yet to play it. Every level is a real sight to behold in regards to artistry and design.
Yeah, it's a lovely looking game alright. I was playing some of the underwater levels earlier, which are really beautiful:

zlCfzRiaDO4SkV7lu7

I love on that particular stage how DK is in silhouette until you approach a light source, and then you can see details of the 3D model briefly. Really nice touch. icon14.gif

Like I said on Miiverse though, I just wish there was a mode where you could swim around freely without the risk of dying. :hehe:

Love DK's idle animation under water too. How he sculls in place is exactly like the 90's pre-renders:

Donkey_Kong_Country_Underwater_Title_Screen_SNES_version..jpg

I do think Retro missed the opportunity to include Enguarde the Swordfish though. Some Swanky Kong touchscreen mini games and other Kong/Buddy usage would have been nice.

There is so much great stuff that Rare brought to the franchise that Retro/Nintendo seem happy to completely forget. Thankfully the core game is as good as ever.

Fear not @Retro_Link for I have been biding my time until now to post... ;)

I'd like to start off by saying how wonderful it is to have another Donkey Kong Country title to play for it has been just over three years since Retro Studios last spectacular effort so the timing is clearly right, crucially it's also another quality title for the Wii U which is always good.

So what has changed in those few years? Well certainly Donkey Kong plus the rest of the crew have gotten somewhat hairier, really the fur effects in this title are nothing short of stunning, I'm really glad that extra time was devoted to this as it really makes a difference being that this is the first DK in HD. It certainly shows as the visuals are some of the nicest I have seen on any console, it's not just about the resolution though... the art style is sumptuous, I'm only up to the second world so far but the game is already shining brightly in so many respects; use of colour is very striking as is the change of camera angles throughout each stage which is done in such a way that it demands your attention. :)

As for the soundtrack, oh my is it good, except to say that it's merely 'good' would be grossly underselling it, of course David Wise is a legend so this part of the game was always going to be spectacular but I would say that he has far excelled expectations which were already understandably high. Each note is perfect in pitch, the pacing is peerless and just everything about the whole aural experience just oozes perfection; for me it's already too good yet I haven't even heard half of it though I know the best is surely yet to come. :D

Regarding the pacing there is nothing wrong with it at all, I honestly don't know why some reviews marked it down here because everything that I have played so far has fantastic level design, yes the minecart stages are particularly enjoyable but overall the standard is so high that it's really like splitting hairs, one of which Donkey Kong in particular has many :heh: so what I'm trying to say is; when you're playing a title that is of such a high calibre as this, it's really hard to pick fault with it at all. Of course yes we can say that there could have been more animal buddies included, perhaps some more throwbacks to the original DKC trilogy but overall I feel that we're very lucky to have this game, blessed even and so I intend to fully enjoy every moment of it. :smile:

I would urge anyone else who has a Wii U to buy this game and do the same for it's worth ten times its weight in banana coins for the amount of enjoyment you're likely to get out of it and even that's underselling it. : peace:

Not many people discussing this? :/ Be nice to hear some impressions.

Their lives are being used on DKC. Are you picking it up?

Not many people discussing this? :/ Be nice to hear some impressions.

I've been away all weekend and just got back this afternoon. Finished off a Yoshi's Story and just started Pokemon Snap. I've taken a holiday from work tomorrow to play catch up on this though. :D

It's a good game, but suffers from the same problem Metroid Prime 2 did, the first was just so perfect that the sequel kind of feels like ideas that were left out of the first for one reason or another.

It's looks beautiful, plays really well and the soundtrack is great too. However, it just doesn't feel as awesome as the first. Retro seem to nail the franchises they work on so well that it's almost as if they have nowhere to go with the sequels.

Their lives are being used on DKC. Are you picking it up?
I need to pick myself up one of those newfangled Wii Gamepad accessories first ;) but I will when I do. Edited by Retro_Link

This is pure Wise and DKC...

Those drums at 0:14...

cadburry-gorilla-o.gif

724a6__gorilla_violin.jpg

Edited by tapedeck

@RedShell

A new time on 1-1. Blister-inducing!

Nice one! :cool:

Looking forward to taking that on.

I haven't played this very much recently, been addicted to Weapon Shop on 3DS. :hehe: Plus I really want to try and make DKCTF last as long as possible, until around... I dunno, May? :heh:

I finally got around to sitting down and putting a good bit of time into this today. When I had last played it I had just finished world 1 but I needed to mop up a few of the puzzle pieces. I did all of that and headed to world 2.

I decided not to move ahead until I had found everything and finished every level in a world. This being the case I was stuck on world 2 for quite a while due to the 2K stage. Man, what a level. You have to time all your jumps perfectly but the sense of satisfaction once you finally reach the end is great. It's one of those heart racing levels. :bouncy:

I moved on to world 3 and have just a few more stages to do before heading back to 3-1 and finding all the missing stuff.

I have to say, apart from a couple of levels, the game seems a lot easier than Returns on he Wii. I'm sitting at the end of the 3rd world with 800 coins and 99 lives. The lives only start getting lost when I do the K stages, but other than that the difficulty level seems toned down on this one. Not that i'm bothered, I mean it's still fun. :D

Music...man, the music. It's soooooo good. Yeah, I know everyone keeps going on about it but they are right to do so. There's certain tunes that take me back to my youth, sitting playing the original trilogy. It's great how the music elevates a good game into a great one and it's certainly a key factor in me not falling in love with Returns.

With you being such a fan of the original trilogy, do you mind the levels being a bit more stop start/waiting for things to happen in front of you, in this?

With you being such a fan of the original trilogy, do you mind the levels being a bit more stop start/waiting for things to happen in front of you, in this?

Haha! I was just playing though a level thinking about this.

The levels are a little longer than the originals, and even returns, but the frantic action still remains. A few reviews said this is slower paced than the others but at the moment I'm just not seeing it.