NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

60 fps gameplay footage on YouTube: :o

Very clever. ;)

Only works with the HTML5 player though, not flash.

So my copy arrived this morning, I grabbed my Pro Controller and blew the dust off it :heh: all ready to play... Pro Controller doesn't work. :blank:

I hadn't used it in so long that it had no charge whatsoever! :laughing:

Anyway, plugged in the USB cable and got playing. Have gone through the first world, and initial impressions are actually pretty good. icon14.gif

It's definitely going to take me a while to get used to the way DK moves again though, it's kinda sluggish. I remember thinking the same when I first played DKCR on Wii though, and quickly got used to it.

What I do like is how you can choose to use the control stick over the D-Pad, which means you don't need to hold down a button to run. :cool:

But yeah, game looks great (really great :o) sounds amazing (obviously) and is a lot of fun to play. So despite my lack of hype, it seems like I'm gonna enjoy this one after all. :hehe:

Worst thing about DKCTF so far is in fact the load times. :woops:

There appears to be quite a lot of them (before and after every stage) and they can take quite a long time. It takes around 15-20 seconds to load each level, which is weird after the instant loading in SM3DW. ::shrug:

The characters also occasionally stutter as they run across the screen during loading too, I wonder if that's only on the disc version of the game. :hmm:

Is anyone downloading this from the eShop? Would be interesting to find out if it's the same on a DD version, or if the load times are quicker.

So my copy arrived this morning, I grabbed my Pro Controller and blew the dust off it :heh: all ready to play... Pro Controller doesn't work. :blank:

I hadn't used it in so long that it had no charge whatsoever! :laughing:

Anyway, plugged in the USB cable and got playing. Have gone through the first world, and initial impressions are actually pretty good. icon14.gif

It's definitely going to take me a while to get used to the way DK moves again though, it's kinda sluggish. I remember thinking the same when I first played DKCR on Wii though, and quickly got used to it.

What I do like is how you can choose to use the control stick over the D-Pad, which means you don't need to hold down a button to run. :cool:

But yeah, game looks great (really great :o) sounds amazing (obviously) and is a lot of fun to play. So despite my lack of hype, it seems like I'm gonna enjoy this one after all. :hehe:

Worst thing about DKCTF so far is in fact the load times. :woops:

There appears to be quite a lot of them (before and after every stage) and they can take quite a long time. It takes around 15-20 seconds to load each level, which is weird after the instant loading in SM3DW. ::shrug:

The characters also occasionally stutter as they run across the screen during loading too, I wonder if that's only on the disc version of the game. :hmm:

Is anyone downloading this from the eShop? Would be interesting to find out if it's the same on a DD version, or if the load times are quicker.

No way. Long loading times are the worst. :mad:

Let's not get lost in crazy hyperbole. Long loading times are annoying, but they're certainly not the worst thing ever!

The worst thing ever would be an awful game that played badly. In fact, if a level is awesome I can stand to wait 20 seconds for it to load.

The worst thing ever would be an awful game that played badly. In fact, if a level is awesome I can stand to wait 20 seconds for it to load.
Absolutely.

And it's really not that bad (there are far worse offenders on Wii U, LEGO City for one) just something that stood out during my first time playing the game, and also surprised me after SM3DW.

3D Worlds loading times were hidden behind the player select screen, I don't remember it being instant.

3D Worlds loading times were hidden behind the player select screen, I don't remember it being instant.
True. It's definitely a lot quicker than DK is though.

Let's not get lost in crazy hyperbole. Long loading times are annoying, but they're certainly not the worst thing ever!

I've played Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Lego City and Splinter Cell Blacklist. 15-20 seconds will be fast for me. :D

Is there a tutorial level or some instructions on the controls? DK virgin here.

This has been known about for some time. Imagine if they were like Lego City Undercover :grin: Not ideal but as stated it's better than having a broken or bad game. Would more ram say like the competition have solved this? And would the eShop version load quicker? I'm guessing no. Is it poor/non optimised coding? Excuse my ignorance.

Edited by Wii

Is there a tutorial level or some instructions on the controls? DK virgin here.
Yeah, the first level is basically the tutorial and there are prompts that appear when you're required to perform certain moves.

I'm still really doubting between picking this up, or Mario 3D world, so I guess it will be whatever one is available in stores tomorrow :/

I'm already bummed out. I plugged my headset in to listen to the music but it only outputs if it's in Gamepad mode. Do I play on the TV for the better graphics or play on the Gamepad to hear the music better? Wise wins. :D

Best of both worlds? ;)

Seriously though, it sucks that there's no option to route all Wii U audio to the Gamepad at a system level. This is something the PS4/DS4 has and it's incredibly useful.

Yeah, some games support it, while others don't. :(

Man, the music is godlike in this game. It's simply stunning, with different tunes creating different moods. Glorious.

Yep, it's Donkey Kong Country (Returns).

Though I had a lot of lives for early in the game and then I played 1-A. :shakehead

Loading times aren't too bad actually.

Just finished the first world. Yeah, the boss fight went on for a while. Wasn't that the case with Returns as well?

That's me done for a few days now. I'm away to Doncaster to visit my brother after I finish work tomorrow and won't be back till Sunday afternoon. :(

1-A?......

Secret stage. 1K is where my lives started to go downhill. 1B is gorgeous.

Man, the music is godlike in this game. It's simply stunning, with different tunes creating different moods. Glorious.
Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I absolutely love the title screen theme, get stuck on there listening to that for ages! :hehe:

Though I had a lot of lives for early in the game and then I played 1-A. :shakehead
Hehehe! Indeed, some of the levels on the second world are already starting to get pretty tricky too.

Methinks I'll be making quite a lot of purchases at Funky Kong's shop. :blush:

Speaking of Funky, what the hell has happened to his voice?! He sounds Chinese. :heh:

Loading times aren't too bad actually.
Yeah, you get used to them, the initial load time is a bit annoying, it seems to hang on the splash screen and then on the part with the clouds.

Do you get stuttering on the main loading screen though, the one before and after every level?

1-A?......
Extra stages...

There's also 1-B and looks like there's a 1-C too, but I haven't discovered how to get there yet.

Yeah, you get used to them, the initial load time is a bit annoying, it seems to hang on the splash screen and then on the part with the clouds.

Do you get stuttering on the main loading screen though, the one before and after every level?

Extra stages...

There's also 1-B and looks like there's a 1-C too, but I haven't discovered how to get there yet.

Yeah, during the loading screen between stages and the clouds if you return to the title screen for some reason, must be those HD clouds. It's a little jarring but no issues during the actual stages.

I thought the long initial boot times were a thing of the past. At least your straight to the title screen.

Most of my deaths in 1-A were due to me messing up grabbing the vines. Good job there was an easy extra life nearby. ;)

I like the dynamic music, how it changes if you enter water (which for some reason takes a bit of getting used to, at least for me).

Update: Going in to the shop stutters a bit. No loading exiting the shop which is weird.

Finished 1-B, looks amazing.

Update 2: Really liked world 2's theme, was a nice change from the usual tropes. Nice relaxing music. :laughing:

Finished world 2, really liking the game, I think it's better than Returns. Had that "one more level" feeling for pretty much the whole of world 2.

Long boss fights are a pain if you die as I had to redo a lot of the world 2 boss...

Dunno why, but these stages look a lot nicer in HD to me.

zlCfzRh-t38Coq0ZDi.jpg

Download code is £33 at GAME which isn't too bad if anyone wants to go that route.

Edited by Ike

Time attack is awesome! Getting gold is pretty tough too. :o

3mSzmCm.jpg

Don't expect my place on the leaderboard to last, so had to take a pic. :heh:

Also, I hope that's not indicative of the amount of N-E peeps that bought this game. :hmm: I know it isn't (some obviously haven't played TA mode yet) but still kind of worrying. :woops:

Also, I hope that's not indicative of the amount of N-E peeps that bought this game. :hmm: I know it isn't (some obviously haven't played TA mode yet) but still kind of worrying. :woops:

I didn't buy it, and I'm not going to buy it unless there's a discount (which I doubt won't happen for at least 6 years). I really liked DKCR3D and this looks awesome, but that's enough 2D platformers for me ATM. I just can't justify buying it at full price. Also, got too much to play through like Mass Effect 3, Trine 2, SM3DW, etc., not to mention 3DS games.

I didn't buy it, and I'm not going to buy it unless there's a discount (which I doubt won't happen for at least 6 years). I really liked DKCR3D and this looks awesome, but that's enough 2D platformers for me ATM.
Fair play.

To be honest I'm kind of fed up of platformers too, but with nothing else to play on Wii U right now... well, it was this or nothing. :heh: