NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Adore the music in this game so much I've done a cover of my favourite track. (from 6-2, Seashore war).

Check it out :)

http://soundcloud.com/mark-a-lee2/seashore-war-cover/s-rrKp4

Oh man, imagine if that box was a pre-order bonus?

And my brother was over today, he has the same initial gripes as me and was moaning about how Nintendo should do more than 2D platformers.

But just like me, he was blown away. It was like we'd gone back in time and we're playing DKC2 on my SNES!

Yeah, this evokes DKC2 so much. Dixie makes a huge impression IMO.

Finally getting around to playing it!

I'm really enjoying it, but man the UI feels really rough around the edges. Really long loading screens, and then a bunch of weird things. Why when I click "Play Level" does it ask me if I want to play the level? Why when I start up the game does it tell me I can go to the options to change the control layout - every time. Why can't I replay levels after I finish them?

Lots of little things like that. It's odd for a Retro game. The biggest annoyance is the freezing of the loading screens, it really ruins the facade.

I'm sure I shouldn't be so annoyed by little things like this but it does sort of take away from the shine.

Finally getting around to playing it!

I'm really enjoying it, but man the UI feels really rough around the edges. Really long loading screens, and then a bunch of weird things. Why when I click "Play Level" does it ask me if I want to play the level? Why when I start up the game does it tell me I can go to the options to change the control layout - every time. Why can't I replay levels after I finish them?

Lots of little things like that. It's odd for a Retro game. The biggest annoyance is the freezing of the loading screens, it really ruins the facade.

I'm sure I shouldn't be so annoyed by little things like this but it does sort of take away from the shine.

That's why Gamespot gave it a 6. ;) Out of 62 reviews over on Metacritic I'm not in the least bit surprised to see that their review is still bottom of the barrel. Strange isn't it?

Incredible game. Definitely a masterpiece. Video analysis and review coming. I need to get all KONG and Jigsaw though - still going through W2 in that regard. Hard as nails in places. Not ashamed to admit I went from 100 lives entering W6 to like...15.

Holy cow. Just played through World 3. What an incredible world. And damn, that music in 3-1!

Finished it and got 100%. Amazing game, still not as good as the first, but amazing nonetheless. Since going through it I've gone back just to listen to the music and have noticed a thousand and one tiny details in the animations and backgrounds that I missed on my first play through.

Retro totally nailed it again. When this was announced I was worried such a talented studio was being wasted on another platform game. After playing it I am so happy Retro made this game.

But the main game wasn't that hard. The hardest level is the secret level on World 2 - once you've mastered that it's all downhill.

Beat the game a couple of days ago. Have since been going back through the worlds to collect the KONG letters and Puzzle pieces. :)

Did World 2 last night and unlocked 2-K...

What an awesome level! :bouncy:

I had an ear to ear grin the entire time playing that stage. :grin: Definitely the most fun I've had playing DKCTF and easily my favourite level in the game so far.

Guessing it'll end up being my overall favourite too, unless there's an even better K stage waiting for me to discover. :hehe:

Yeah, 2K is one of those levels in a game that may seem cheap to outsiders but it just punishes you for your lack of skill. The bouncing at the end of the level is insanely satisfying.
The whole level was insanely satisfying. And I love how it's setup with a specific route of precision platforming in mind, but that it can be tackled in many different ways, an excellent example of high quality level design. icon14.gif

Have you seen the #1 replay on Time Attack? It's mind-blowing! :o

The whole level was insanely satisfying. And I love how it's setup with a specific route of precision platforming in mind, but that it can be tackled in many different ways, an excellent example of high quality level design.

NWR podcast were on about this the other day. They were saying how the game is actually built like a bit of a runner game. I never really thought about it before but I found myself nodding in agreement.

NWR podcast were on about this the other day. They were saying how the game is actually built like a bit of a runner game. I never really thought about it before but I found myself nodding in agreement.
Yeah, the enemy placement for most of the game is really just inviting skilled players to use them as a way to get through levels in style/at speed. :awesome:

That's why some of the Time Attacks are so spectacular. Once people work out the optimal route and also make use of the enemies, it's possible to do some incredible stuff.

I've just realised, we never got a DKCTF banner for the site. :(
Oh yeah. :hmm:

Perhaps it's time I came out of retirement. :hehe:

Game complete! :D

It might have taken me just over a week but considering I've been collecting 'everything' in each world before moving onto the next - yes even those blasted 'K' stages :p - I'm rather pleased with myself.

I can honestly say that I loved almost every moment of it and the only reason that I say 'almost' is those stages where I've gone from having 99 Red Balloons to less than 20 :hmm: as those were some trying times but my god was it worth every second that I devoted to it through all the good times in addition to the frustrations.

Just... such a glorious game that I feel privileged to have had the chance to play. :hehe:

So close to finishing 7-3.. Just the last section with the jumps/ducks is causing me grief... Haven't got all the puzzle pieces yet, and haven't decided whether to bother getting them yet. Probably will, as there's not much else on the horizon.

I'm at World 5 and it's just constantly blowing me away. I really can't believe how much I'm enjoying this, but then perhaps it's because I had such low expectations that for once I really didn't believe the hype and instead have been pleasantly surprised and taken back.

I love the new attacks all the characters have and the music is just sublime. David Wise is a true genius. The game is pretty hard but I keep persevering because for the first time in ages, I get totally engrossed in the game. So many games lately have presented me with a challenge and if I haven't been able to overcome it in a certain amount of time I've just thought "man, it's just a game" and given up but I can actually see myself getting to the end of this, no matter what is thrown at me :p

Saying that, I've just been getting from A to B on my first run! I've decided to take a break from continuing past World 5 and have re-visited past levels with the help of Squarks now though! I love the unlockable art-work, too! I really can't praise this game enough, it's the true sequel to the DKC trilogy that I always wanted which, if any of you were keeping up with my Retro hatred after Returns, will know is a big deal.

One thing that's annoying me is alternate exits. I've found hardly any so far :( I know it sounds lazy but I wish you could use squarks to find those, too :p

Yay, best the final level and unlocked hard mode! Brilliant, brilliant game. Really good to be able to play as the partners in hard mode, but I doubt I'll bother trying to get very far in it. I did go back to the 1-1 time trial and took a decent amount off my time, even if I'm still not even close to the couple of times at the top! Still, 4th in my friends leader board now at least.

Yay, best the final level and unlocked hard mode! Brilliant, brilliant game. Really good to be able to play as the partners in hard mode, but I doubt I'll bother trying to get very far in it. I did go back to the 1-1 time trial and took a decent amount off my time, even if I'm still not even close to the couple of times at the top! Still, 4th in my friends leader board now at least.

Oh wait, I didn't know that you could play as the other characters on their own in Hard Mode... this changes everything! :D

I will probably be going back to the game sooner than originally planned in that case, for some reason I thought you'd only be able to play as DK. :p

New episode of The Final Bosman :D

Donkey Kong is Better than Mario:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/apkv92/the-final-bosman-donkey-kong-is-better-than-mario

Much truth is spoken!

Also he's somehow managed to completely articulate that loss of connection with Mario I've felt recently!

'Who are you nowadays Mario? What do you like?' :p

Dude cracked me up when he was on about enemies turning around and the Goombas on Mario. :D

So I've borrowed this off a friend to play with my Mrs, started it tonight and is fun, but I'm almost certainly convinced she's come up with a better solution to the game pad than retro with their blank screen. Why, in multiplayer, does the tv not follow the person not using the game pad, and the game pad follow the game pad player? She was uber excited to run around as Dixie Kong, but I kept getting left behind looking for things as she charged off. Why can't we both co exist in the level an d do our own thing, when we have two screens no less!

Ah well, enjoyable on my own though!

So I've borrowed this off a friend to play with my Mrs, started it tonight and is fun, but I'm almost certainly convinced she's come up with a better solution to the game pad than retro with their blank screen. Why, in multiplayer, does the tv not follow the person not using the game pad, and the game pad follow the game pad player? She was uber excited to run around as Dixie Kong, but I kept getting left behind looking for things as she charged off. Why can't we both co exist in the level an d do our own thing, when we have two screens no less!

Presumably Retro couldn't get the game on the TV looking as beautiful if they had to have a separate screen on the gamepad. Or they just didn't figure that one out themselves!

That's a great video, but the running gag about news got painful quick and embarassing by the end, but the actual DK v mario content was very funny, and a lot of quite right in itself - the level of detail and connectedness is phenomenal and I was telling Dakota that I think kong has the best cast out of any mascot platformer. HOWEVER, mario for me is simply unrivalled, it's just more fun, more creative, distilled to perfection.

Edited by dazzybee

I've noticed this as well and it's put my girlfriend off the game quite a bit, as it means that she has to hop on back when it comes to the jump sections otherwise one of us will get left behind :blank: