NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

With you being such a fan of the original trilogy, do you mind the levels being a bit more stop start/waiting for things to happen in front of you, in this?

That's such a myth, probably garnered from reviewers who found the game too hard for them.

This game is a masterpiece. My brother and I played through most of the first two worlds this weekend, and we're both amazed by this game! They actually managed to improve on DKCR! Crazy!

That's such a myth, probably garnered from reviewers who found the game too hard for them.

It is true if you want to find the hidden KONG letters/jigsaw pieces. I stopped to admire the scenery and got a jigsaw piece for it.

"FUCKING GET IN THERE!!!!" :bouncy::yay:

I literally shouted that just now, having spent around 2 hours trying to beat your time on 1-1 @tapedeck. :laughing:

nhcY5Ow.jpg

This game + online leaderboards/replays = digital crack. :hehe:

And damn, you weren't kidding about the blisters. :heh:

You guys are worryingly skilled, finishing 1-1 in 1:38-1:40! My brother and I spent two hours reducing our time from around 2:20 to 1:54! I don't think I have the patience to improve the time any further now.

I finished all the levels on world 4 last night, apart from the boss fight. I was going to have a crack at him before I set off to work this morning but seeing as they last a crazy long time I thought it best to wait till I get home tonight.

It seems that the level 2K must be the hardest special stage. I pretty much blitzed 3K and 4K without an issues, yet 2K caused me so much trouble.

I doubt i'll bother with the Time Trials stuff. I never touched it on Returns either. Once I've found all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters on every stage that will be me done.

I finished all the levels on world 4 last night, apart from the boss fight. I was going to have a crack at him before I set off to work this morning but seeing as they last a crazy long time I thought it best to wait till I get home tonight.
I was at the same point last night, and also planning to leave the world 4 boss for today, but after 2 hours of replaying 1-1 I wanted to see something different :grin: so took it on there and then.

It's actually a much quicker boss to beat than any of the previous ones, or it felt like it at least.

I doubt i'll bother with the Time Trials stuff. I never touched it on Returns either. Once I've found all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters on every stage that will be me done.
Are the gold medals on Time Attack part of getting 100%? To be honest, I can't see myself getting gold on every stage either, some of them are quite difficult to even complete, let alone speed run. :shakehead

Are the gold medals on Time Attack part of getting 100%? To be honest, I can't see myself getting gold on every stage either, some of them are quite difficult to even complete, let alone speed run. :shakehead

If it's like Returns then you still get 100% without any of the medals. I guess it's just a extra for people who like speed running/time trials.

If it's like Returns then you still get 100% without any of the medals. I guess it's just a extra for people who like speed running/time trials.
Ah yeah, it's probably the same deal with this game.

Ah yeah, it's probably the same deal with this game.

Have you been grabbing all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters as well? What's your thoughts on the K stages?

Finally got through 2-K yesterday. Managed to perfect my timing. Bloody brilliant level that punishes lack of skill.

In the process of 4-K, relatively easy but the sudden rapidly raising lava keeps catching me out.

Finally got through 2-K yesterday. Managed to perfect my timing. Bloody brilliant level that punishes lack of skill.

In the process of 4-K, relatively easy but the sudden rapidly raising lava keeps catching me out.

Yeah, 2K is one of those levels in a game that may seem cheap to outsiders but it just punishes you for your lack of skill. The bouncing at the end of the level is insanely satisfying.

Have you been grabbing all the puzzle pieces and KONG letters as well? What's your thoughts on the K stages?
Only on a few stages so far, I'll go back and collect the rest after I beat the game.

So yeah, not done any K stages yet. Looking forward to 'em though, they sound brutal. :grin:

Do they also feature Time Attack mode? Please say no. :heh:

Only on a few stages so far, I'll go back and collect the rest after I beat the game.

So yeah, not done any K stages yet. Looking forward to 'em though, they sound brutal. :grin:

Do they also feature Time Attack mode? Please say no. :heh:

Yeah, I think they do. Good luck. :)

Still trying to pace myself. Haven't touched World 6 yet.

Had so much fun with this, I don't want it to be over.

Still trying to pace myself. Haven't touched World 6 yet.

Had so much fun with this, I don't want it to be over.

I think most of us are doing this due to the lack of retail games until May. I've been jumping between this and Kirby 64 but I'm still making fast progress. At this point I will have to just stop playing it if I want it to last. :) I'm already getting everything I can and beating all levels in a world before I move on to the next. What's a gamer to do? :D

My copy has finally been dispatched so I'll be joining you guys soon. What control scheme are you guys using? I think I'll be playing this game with the Pro Controller since I quite liked the controls in the 3DS game.

My copy has finally been dispatched so I'll be joining you guys soon. What control scheme are you guys using? I think I'll be playing this game with the Pro Controller since I quite liked the controls in the 3DS game.

Pro Controller all the way of course... :D

------------------------------------

I'm literally only just over halfway through World 3... I definitely seem to be pacing myself - not necessarily intentionally - but typically I've been playing a bit each day, usually in the evenings - day off today though :hehe: - which usually culminates in me clearing a whole world after a couple of hours of play; this does involve getting everything though. :wink:

Yes stage 2-K is particularly brutal, took me at least an hour or so to get it right :laughing: but it was fun too in a way, how is everyone progressing with the extras?

In particular...

Capsule Toys... it seems to me that you get to buy these only once per world, in that once you're done buying them, Funky then won't sell you any more until the next world? Unless I'm misunderstanding things... also I think you can only get certain capsule toys which include any enemies/bosses you've faced so far, so I have a theory that it might be better to wait until after the game is beat if you want to get them all, currently though I tend to just spend 250 banana coins so that I get fifty chances... I really want to collect them all.

:grin:

Really fantastic game though, will play more later today. :)

I think most of us are doing this due to the lack of retail games until May. I've been jumping between this and Kirby 64 but I'm still making fast progress. At this point I will have to just stop playing it if I want it to last. :) I'm already getting everything I can and beating all levels in a world before I move on to the next. What's a gamer to do? :D

It keeps calling to me :(

For the first time ever with a Wii U game, I chose the Pro Controller. Didn't want to risk breaking my GamePad in a fit of rage :p

Wii U Pro Controller, for both my brother and myself!

My copy has finally arrived :) Can't wait to get started tonight! Finished Attack of the Friday monster last night and only one level to go on NeS Remix (the last bonus stupid thing), so I'll do that tonight too!!