NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I'd no idea Wonderful 101 was so big. That was the only other game that I don't have that I would have considered. That revelation would have put the brakes on quick fast. Imagine the poor unfortunates that get either Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World or Winter Olympics. God help them. It'd be like a dead rat clogging up your system.

I'd no idea Wonderful 101 was so big. That was the only other game that I don't have that I would have considered. That revelation would have put the brakes on quick fast. Imagine the poor unfortunates that get either Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World or Winter Olympics. God help them. It'd be like a dead rat clogging up your system.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by the file size of certain games, some are a lot smaller than you might have anticipated, and vice versa.

My nephew seemed most interested by lost world/pikmin 3, I was planning on looking for them both online, buying the cheapest and getting the most expensive on this deal. I'm rethinking that approach now. I don't want to buy a dedicated HDD because it just bumps the console cost so much, and digital versions aren't as a rule that much cheaper than physical versions, I'd need to buy hundreds of games just to justify the cost of the HDD!

Pros and cons of NSMBWiiU vs MH3?

One is a rubbish 2D platformer with multiplayer focus. One is a monster fighting RPG thing that can be difficult to get into. With online multiplayer.

I'm going with Monster Hunter.

New Super Mario Bros

Pro

Arguably the greatest 2D Mario game that has been created

Fantastic level design

Fantastic DLC

Massive fun

Can get tricky to find all secrets

Con

Aesthetics are generic

Music is generic

Monster Hunter

Pro

Great online play

Good time sink

Will take a while to complete

Con

Grindy as hell

Difficult to get into

One is a rubbish 2D platformer with multiplayer focus. One is a monster fighting RPG thing that can be difficult to get into. With online multiplayer.

I'm going with Monster Hunter.

Is the online community still active on MH? I played the demo and definitely found it hard to get into. I gave it another go, just to see if I was missing something, but I found the whole experience underwhelming. Equally a lot of people on here seem to love it, so I can only assume that I am in fact missing something!

Monster Hunter is incredible if you can get into it, something a lot of people struggle with. The meat is in the online mode for sure and there probably won't ever be a shortage of people to play with on here. Seems to be the game a lot are going for with the promotion.

Fighting monsters with other people is pretty exciting, as is unlocking new gear. The experience is kinda repetitive though, especially later on. One of my main gripes is how much you have to grind with no vast social environment to showcase your efforts. Kinda fails to MMOs in that area, but the combat in MH is so much better than any MMO I ever played. Especially when it clicks.

New Super Mario Bros. U is alright... but very meh, especially if you've played through the sublime 3D World. A definite rent in my opinion.

Edited by Guy

I have no idea. I would never pay a co-op game with random people, anyway.

I also found it underwhelming when I rented it, but I was expecting something different from the gameplay, so I'm willing to give it another go.

Careful guys. Don't register your Club Nintendo pins before 10AM GMT or else you wont get your free game!

A lot of morons of GAF didn't read the small print...

New Super Mario Bros

Pro

Arguably the greatest 2D Mario game that has been created

@ReZourceman, strongly disagree with this. I found it rather boring; it's the world/NSMB structure rehashed.

Monster Hunter is the right choice. Especially if you've never played it before.

@ReZourceman, strongly disagree with this. I found it rather boring; it's the world/NSMB structure rehashed.

Monster Hunter is the right choice. Especially if you've never played it before.

Structure is irrelevant. It's the levels that matter. I don't care if it goes grass -> desert -> ice etc.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U

Pro

- Nothing

Con

- If you buy this game you've made the wrong decision

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Pro

- Everything

Con

- If you don't buy this game...I'll let you guess the end of this sentence.

So I originally thought that using the gamepad for online matches would be vital due to the DS/3DS style map and item placement shown on the touchscreen, but as the item icons are incredibly tiny, the map isn't really all that detailed and looking down at the gamepad screen takes you out of the game longer than doing it on the handhelds screen, I don't think it's worth the hassle. Kinda annoying after being used to Mario Kart 7 for so long :heh:

NSMBU is definitely the strongest 2D Mario platformer.

Well...

maybe after Super Mario World

and Super Mario Bros 3

and Super Mario Bros

and Super Mario Land 2

and Super Mario Bros 2

and New Super Mario Bros (DS)

and Super Mario Land

and New Super Mario Bros Wii

in that order.

Go for Monster Hunter! I'm surprised by how many people are going for it, it'll probably revive the community

Waiting on Tesco now. People at HotUKDeals have been receiving theirs this morning.

Keep your eyes out for ParcelForce, those who ordered with Tesco!

Structure is irrelevant. It's the levels that matter. I don't care if it goes grass -> desert -> ice etc.

And you don't care if it has been all done before many times? I do.

So how's the battle mode guys? Any impressions?

NSMBU is the most uncharming, generic and unlovable 2D Mario game you'll ever play. It's also completely forgettable. If you have played 3D World it's a huge step back.

Can't tell you much about Monster Hunter but those that play it seems to adore it so it's clearly doing something right :)

I'd go with Monster Hunter as well. Even if it is tricky to get into. Keep at it for more than just a few hours. It takes time for things to get going.

NSMBU is just so dull, especially compared to New Super Luigi U.

So I originally thought that using the gamepad for online matches would be vital due to the DS/3DS style map and item placement shown on the touchscreen, but as the item icons are incredibly tiny, the map isn't really all that detailed and looking down at the gamepad screen takes you out of the game longer than doing it on the handhelds screen, I don't think it's worth the hassle. Kinda annoying after being used to Mario Kart 7 for so long :heh:

Yeah, this is an issue for me that I brought up yesterday. You really can't check what items your opponents have anymore. It makes item usage less tactical. It's like if I'm in first and have a banana skin I have no idea if I should drop it and get another item or keep a gold of it because the AI or online player has a redshell.

Speaking of @RedShell he's on it again. :D Did you take holiday from work for this as well?

Yeah, this is an issue for me that I brought up yesterday. You really can't check what items your opponents have anymore. It makes item usage less tactical. It's like if I'm in first and have a banana skin I have no idea if I should drop it and get another item or keep a gold of it because the AI or online player has a redshell.

Speaking of @RedShell he's on it again. :D Did you take holiday from work for this as well?

I think that could be a good thing. Makes it a little more interesting.

Tesco are using ParcelForce?? Better not require a signature :blank:

I thought this was because Debug was getting a large console with the game? Tesco have been Royal Mail for me before.

I think that could be a good thing. Makes it a little more interesting.

It certainly makes it more random. It's causing to be a pain in 150cc though, as is the game constantly giving you coins in the item box. You're in first, with 10 coins in the bank, the last thing you want is more coins, especially as you need to defend yourself.

Tesco are using ParcelForce?? Better not require a signature :blank:

It's looking like it's either ParcelForce 24 or Royal Mail, but only one person has got it via the latter.

Still waiting on mine, using my laptop with a direct view outside so I don't have another one of those instances where they run and put in the "missed delivery" notification and then bail without actually attempting to see if I'm in.

It certainly makes it more random. It's causing to be a pain in 150cc though, as is the game constantly giving you coins in the item box. You're in first, with 10 coins in the bank, the last thing you want is more coins, especially as you need to defend yourself.

Isn't it pretty standard MK practice albeit frustrating that if you are first you get the crap items?