NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I don't think anyone is expecting voice chat in random games. But voice chat has to be included in private lobbies. And private lobbies need to exist, not the community rubbish (although having both would be great).

I don't think anyone is expecting voice chat in random games. But voice chat has to be included in private lobbies. And private lobbies need to exist, not the community rubbish (although having both would be great).

Hopefully its back to private lobbies like the Wii version. One player hosts the room, others join. No autostart.

It'll help make the league nights run more smoothy.

Edit: I'll just leave this here :awesome:

XS7zg8w.jpg

Thanks to RedShell

Edited by lostmario

Here is my idea of how I think Nintendo should handle the DLC aspect of Mario Kart 8 :)

http://nintendoreview.co.uk/2014/02/a-random-thought-mario-kart-dlc/

Nintendo haven’t exactly been pioneers when it comes to DLC, or online in general to be truthful; but they have had their moments. Monthly free challenges in Mario Kart, free DLC in Band Bros and Taiko Drum Master, their unique pricing structure in Darumeshi Sports Store. But they’ve dipped their toes in rather than fully embraced it.

Mario Kart is an obvious title they will consider for DLC, and I imagine a lot of fans would be desperate for additional tracks. Who wouldn’t want to play every track ever created in one game?! The argument against this is how it splits the userbase up in online matches, Call of Duty has this problem of fragmenting the user base every time it releases its DLC; and Nintendo definitely won’t want to alienate anyone or make their big family, party game more complicated. Here, we have a solution.

Quite simply, make all DLC free for online only. That means there is no segregation, there’s always new content for players to play which heightens the value for money.

Then offer, as paid for DLC, the cups (we presume they’d release them in cups) available for offline play and time trials, and an extra character to play as. All for £4.99.

FREE

- all tracks and battle stages for online play

For £4.99

- 4 tracks

- 1 battle stage

- 1 new character

- online and offline

This solves all problems, whilst still having more than enough value for people to want to buy the pack.

The characters can also act as a form of advertising; when online players see a new character, it may tempt them further to buy the pack. It would be even more exciting if the additional characters weren’t just the superfluous characters that loiter on the outskirts of the Mario universe; but how about SNES styled versions of the characters?! Or new skins like Dr Mario for example?

I am desperate for DLC in Mario Kart 8, but understand the reasons not to. This is a potentially risky solution, but at the same time the kind of different approach Nintendo could take. I certainly hope so.

Edited by dazzybee

Given the pricing of Luigi U and Dr. Luigi, I can't see them doing it for £5. Nifty idea though.

So basically you'd be paying 5 quid for a new character?

I mean, I guess you're paying for more if you never go online, but who never goes online?

Not the people who bother to pay for DLC I reckon.

So basically you'd be paying 5 quid for a new character?

I mean, I guess you're paying for more if you never go online, but who never goes online?

Not the people who bother to pay for DLC I reckon.

No. You're paying for those modes offline as well... So if you don't pay you can only play those tracks online. But if you pay you can play locally multiplayer as well and time trial the courses. And a character. Do you not think that's a lot of value?!

No. You're paying for those modes offline as well... So if you don't pay you can only play those tracks online. But if you pay you can play locally multiplayer as well and time trial the courses. And a character. Do you not think that's a lot of value?!

I guess for some it probably is.

I was just thinking from my perspective.

After I'm done with offline play. I usually only tend to play online afterwards, and that's where I'd be getting all the stages for free according to your model.

Hence I'd only be paying for a new character.

So, yeah, I probably wouldn't buy :laughing:

I guess for some it probably is.

I was just thinking from my perspective.

After I'm done with offline play. I usually only tend to play online afterwards, and that's where I'd be getting all the stages for free according to your model.

Hence I'd only be paying for a new character.

So, yeah, I probably wouldn't buy :laughing:

Hmm it's an interesting idea - part of the 'completion' of MarioKart is getting gold on all cups etc - what if there were cups and tracks you could get used to online; but not actually play offline without purchase? Whilst it encourages online play(and rewards it) it has the flip of irking folks who've paid for a game with content they can't play. I kinda like the idea at the right price, though.

But not everyone would buy DLC anyway, and no way will Nintendo segregate the online community.

I personally would buy this, I play local multi a lot, I love time trials (presuming it's more like the wii version and NOTHING like the hideous 3DS version) and I'd like new characters :)

I personally, obviously, think it's a great idea :)

Who wouldn’t want to play every track ever created in one game?!
The problem there is that if Nintendo do go and make every single MK track available in MK8 (via DLC, or otherwise) then you've essentially got the definitive MK game, at least in terms of content.

Which would be great obviously, but then what do they do with MK9? :blank: If they don't include every track again, it'll be seen as a step back. And when you consider that each new MK game has to include new tracks, if they're also adding the entire history of tracks, well it's going to get ridiculous. :woops:

In a way I'd almost prefer it if they dropped the whole retro tracks thing, and instead focus on a full set of new ones each time. But of course I've played (and can still play) every game in the series. [/selfish] :hehe:

The other aspect to that though is how the new gameplay mechanics are used in track design. With previous MK titles it's always been relatively straightforward to include retro tracks, even in MK7 with the gliding/underwater feature, the retro tracks they chose worked perfectly with those new mechanics.

However, the anti-gravity feature in MK8 is a whole different story (it's going to make for some incredible track designs, that Möbius strip style Mario Circuit looks mental) but it's probably going to mean it'll be difficult to adapt retro tracks this time around. I'm guessing they just won't make much use of anti-gavity for those. ::shrug:

So yeah, I'd say DLC in MK is far more suited to characters, or custom parts for your kart/bike. As long as they don't have too much impact for online play/time trials. In fact they should probably just offer cosmetic changes and stats that are also obtainable with some of the on-disc content.

The problem there is that if Nintendo do go and make every single MK track available in MK8 (via DLC, or otherwise) then you've essentially got the definitive MK game, at least in terms of content.

Which would be great obviously, but then what do they do with MK9? :blank: If they don't include every track again, it'll be seen as a step back. And when you consider that each new MK game has to include new tracks, if they're also adding the entire history of tracks, well it's going to get ridiculous. :woops:

In a way I'd almost prefer it if they dropped the whole retro tracks thing, and instead focus on a full set of new ones each time. But of course I've played (and can still play) every game in the series. [/selfish] :hehe:

The other aspect to that though is how the new gameplay mechanics are used in track design. With previous MK titles it's always been relatively straightforward to include retro tracks, even in MK7 with the gliding/underwater feature, the retro tracks they chose worked perfectly with those new mechanics.

However, the anti-gravity feature in MK8 is a whole different story (it's going to make for some incredible track designs, that Möbius strip style Mario Circuit looks mental) but it's probably going to mean it'll be difficult to adapt retro tracks this time around. I'm guessing they just won't make much use of anti-gavity for those. ::shrug:

So yeah, I'd say DLC in MK is far more suited to characters, or custom parts for your kart/bike. As long as they don't have too much impact for online play/time trials. In fact they should probably just offer cosmetic changes and stats that are also obtainable with some of the on-disc content.

Yeah, maybe all tracks would be a little much, but as many as possible for me!! They probably won't do any of it, it is Nintendo. But it'd be a massive shame!! New content would keep the game so fresh, I would play the 3DS one much more if they released a new cup every couple of months. I think a lot of people would too.

High quality box-art has surfaced

PalMK8Box.jpg

*drools* :love:

But you bastards, Nintendo! Why'd you go and alter the logo after I'd made the N-E League one? :heh:

I think Peach's expression should have matched Mario's determined one... she looks a bit 'blow-up doll-y'!

I think Peach's expression should have matched Mario's determined one... she looks a bit 'blow-up doll-y'!
LOL, she's assuming the position too :p

Maybe this is Mario's Peach decoy having the real one back waiting at the Castle for that victory celebration.

Game Xplain have released a part 2 to their Mario Kart 8 trailer analysis, this one is a lot more theoretical compared to the other one where they just showed off every little detail in the vid.

Edited by f00had

Yeah, maybe all tracks would be a little much, but as many as possible for me!! They probably won't do any of it, it is Nintendo. But it'd be a massive shame!! New content would keep the game so fresh, I would play the 3DS one much more if they released a new cup every couple of months. I think a lot of people would too.

Tbh I would like a dlc/virtual console crossover.

Buy super mario kart, but it's using the mk8 engine. you can buy which ever version you want. (so long as they release it!)

roster

weapons

tracks

cups.

Maybe even include online.

In effect it's more like new luigi bros U.

How funny would it be if we got Captain Falcon as a guest-character in the game.

Cramped into the tinier version of the Blue Falcon:

250px-BlueFalcon-BabyMario.png

Yeah, something like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3a_laDWo1_Y_whp_dGPeJ6LxSURhy_rcbCBBoSIOQhm4pnrlqNg

Edited by Fused King

That Gamexplain video reminds me how amazing Double Dash was. So much better than MK Wii IMO

I preferred double dash to n64, but I liked mk wii. Probably mainly because it had one of my favourite snes retro tracks though

That Gamexplain video reminds me how amazing Double Dash was. So much better than MK Wii IMO

Agreed! Narrow tracks, tight corners and great controls. It really rewarded power sliding through corners to make up time and was pretty darn quick too. I loved the unique items the characters had as well :santa:

Can I ask how the league works?

I'd like to get involved, but my job is gonna take me a very long way away for 4 months from August, so I'd have 4 months where I wouldn't be able to participate.

Agreed! Narrow tracks, tight corners and great controls. It really rewarded power sliding through corners to make up time and was pretty darn quick too. I loved the unique items the characters had as well :santa:

Absolutely, I think motorway-sized wide tracks of recent installments have ruined Mario Kart for me. That with the extreme rubber banding just makes it all so casual friendly and skill-less.

Can I ask how the league works?

I'd like to get involved, but my job is gonna take me a very long way away for 4 months from August, so I'd have 4 months where I wouldn't be able to participate.

Read this

Will help explain how the league works.