NEurope
Grazza

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons

Thought we could definitely make use of these games having their own thread.

Downloaded both today. Starting playing Ages. It's genius, I honestly love it already.

The beauty of the 2D Zeldas is their rigidity: how the d-pad keeps movement to left, right, up or down; and how the overworld itself is based on rigid grids and squares. How destroyable walls lead to hidden passages, that in turn let you access portions of the map you've seen but not been able to reach.

I'll be honest, it appeals to my obsessive side, as you cut every bit of grass, dig every square etc! Think this is going to be a good one...

Ah is tease me! Going to wait til I get my XL at the beginning of July with a 32GB memory card before downloading these gems, don't want to loose any saved data, or rush any of the magic!

Played through Ages some years ago, and it was totally brilliant. Expecting nothing less from Seasons.

Oh....... forgot these were out today, damn. Going to choose one of them to download, havn't played them in ages.

Hmmm still deciding which I'm gonna play first... probably Seasons, but then Ages... they're both so damn good! :heh:

Hmmm still deciding which I'm gonna play first... probably Seasons, but then Ages... they're both so damn good! :heh:

I still have both cart versions at home somewhere, had to import them from the US because they were so hard to find at a decent price in the UK. I recall beating Seasons at the time, but not Ages. Probably will pick up Ages then Seasons at a later date.

Heads = Ages, Tails = Seasons. GO!

If it helps, I think Seasons then Ages is the better order. Though if you want to see everything, you kinda have to do both orders eventually :heh:

Great that other people get to experience these gems. I don't need the downloads as I have both in including manual and boxes all in pristine condition. Have often wondered about selling them as they make a small fortune on Ebay. So it's good that they're on eShop for a fraction of the price.

My first 3DS purchase in over a year.

Oracle of Seasons then Oracle of Ages, according to Hyrule Historia.

HNNNNNG. I WANT MY 3DS BACK.

How much are each of these? As a duo, possibly the best game of the entire series. Alone, they're still good - but the linkage and crossover is just such a fucking beautiful touch. Def getting both.

My first 3DS purchase in over a year.

Oracle of Seasons then Oracle of Ages, according to Hyrule Historia.

That was my first play order iirc - tbh I think Seasons is the better game anyway; so I might suggest the reverse. Remember more of seasons in my mind than ages.

Shit, my sister even got the prima guide with this or something when we got them; that shit was damn good to both have for looking at the few bits of character art and stuff but also handy in places - mostly when going for certain items and stuff later on.

The beauty of the 2D Zeldas are these two large and amazing games put together.

Just fixed that for you. Seriously, I love it so much I'd place the two together above at least SS and TP. Again, it loses the same points MM *has* to lose in the list for not being 100% original(ie reusing earlier assets etc, but it does it in the best possible way).

So who is everyone's favourite animal companion?

Torn between Ricky and Dimitri. Ricky is a boxing Kangeroo and Dimitiri is a Dodongo (although he dislikes smoke)! Went with Ricky on this run in Seasons. First time I played the games I got Moosh who I didn't like (sorry Moosh!).

By far the best handheld zelda. As a kid I only had ages so getting them both is going to be great. Need to finish Links Awakening first though.

I've never played either of these or even really looked into them as I didn't have a GBC. Now is probably the time for me to investigate, though I still have my 3DS Ambassador version of The Minish Cap to play, my Wii VC version of A Link to the Past to finish and the desire to eventually download Link's Awakening DX from the eShop :heh:

I have a slight reluctance to play any of them, though, as I always seem to lose interest in A Link to the Past each time I reach the Dark World and Four Swords didn't impress when I played it on 3DS :hmm: It kinda makes me wonder if I'm even that fond of 2D Zelda games.. :eek:

I remember buying them in the shops when first released, not played them since, been desperate all these years!!

If I remember correctly Ages is more action based and Seasons is more puzzle based?

If I remember correctly Ages is more action based and Seasons is more puzzle based?

Other way around. Nayru governs wisdom, Din power.

I'd say that Seasons is more exploration-based than action-based, though.

Ages is, indeed, the puzzles&plot oriented one.

I'm still a bit disappointed they ended up ditching Oracle of Colours. Sounds like an awesome concept for a Zelda game...

I wonder if my pristine, boxed copied of the original games will still be worth anything on ebay now...?

Finished the second dungeon in 'Ages' earlier. Enjoying it a lot more than Link's Awakening, which I always end up getting bored with, and therefore have never completed. :indeed:

Finished the second dungeon in 'Ages' earlier. Enjoying it a lot more than Link's Awakening, which I always end up getting bored with, and therefore have never completed. :indeed:

*removes from friend list*

I might buy Ages later today. Ive never really been a Zelda person but I've been in the mood lately to play some more of the 2D ones so probably worth it at the reduced price.

Ive never really been a Zelda person

Hang on a second, people like you exist??

WTF. I can't believe that it's such a wonderful game. I recently downloaded it on 3DS and replayed and still loved it. By far the best 2D Zelda. Looking forward to oracle games I only ever played Ages and never finished it.

Edited by flameboy