N-Europe

Wii U VC

madeinbeats

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Nintendo hoping for future Wii games to sell for 9 quid are just setting themselves up for disappointment...

Punch Out!! is regularly selling as a physical copy for £7 on eBay so £17.99 would be grossly overpriced for a digital copy surely? :heh:

Kirby's Adventure on the other hand seems to vary wildly with prices ranging from just over £20 right up to over £40 and while I could see it selling digitally for £17.99 if it was me then I'd be more inclined to put that kind of money towards a physical copy being that the improvements would be minimal at best I'd imagine.

If they are all £8.99 for at least the first week then I barely have to think about it as that seems to be a reasonable price to pay for most decent Wii games so if they don't have the introductory offers for all Wii games then they are just going to be doing themselves out of the majority of their sales. ::shrug:

This is what I originally posted in another thread, now I can see why Nintendo don't want to reduce Kirby at least not right away due to it being a valuable title still - I know that didn't stop them with Metroid Prime Trilogy but that was one of the introductory games and I think it was a good way to generate some excitement - but I still stand by my quote for Punch Out!! as that can already be picked up incredibly cheaply on disc for around £7 or less so that doesn't seem like a good buy to me. ::shrug:

I'll probably wait and see, if this ends up reducing the price of the physical copies significantly I would probably go with Kirby on disc instead being that I don't have it already.

Even if I can see the convenience of having it just 'there' is very good and the collector in me wants to just 'buy them all' anyway. :heh:

I won't be buying the Wii games at full price. I would have bought Kirby because at 9 quid it was a no brainer, at double it is not because I can live without the game. The fact is they are now releasing a series of games that were not as well received as the ones that were 9 quid for double the money. That does not sound like a sensible business plan to me.

I won't be buying the Wii games at full price. I would have bought Kirby because at 9 quid it was a no brainer, at double it is not because I can live without the game. The fact is they are now releasing a series of games that were not as well received as the ones that were 9 quid for double the money. That does not sound like a sensible business plan to me.

They were only £9 for a week though. They are £18 now.

@S\.C\.G. - yeah, but the varying prices of Kirby are due to availability of the disc based game, really. I think it's a bit unfair to exploit the rarity of a game in physical form by charging a fair sum digitally.

It's kinda like how a disc version of the PS1 game Suikoden II will set you back £115, yet they've just released a digital unremastered version for only £3.99. Because really, for a game of that age, it's kinda what it's worth.

In some ways it makes even less sense when you consider the arguably much better games were so much cheaper some weeks ago on Wi, and now the less amazing games are full price.

@Sheikah that's very true, it's also why if they had to stick with one price for all then I would have preferred it if all of the digital Wii games were £8.99 as it would even out more being that Punch Out!! would only then be slightly overpriced and Kirby would be the price that it really should be anyway for a digital copy.

It's surely better to sell twice as much digitally at half the price than not nearly as much as half that at double the price? : peace:

As it stands I'll probably be picking Kirby up in the sale, as much as I like to support Nintendo where possible, they have just had a lot of my money - and loads of other peoples as well - thanks to the rejuvenation of the 3DS market, not to mention amiibo. :indeed:

Didn't realise the Wii games were going to that price. Tbh I think a sub-tenner price is much more sensible - I believe they'd sell more than twice as much for half that price, and given the fairly low overhead of DD that'd be a bigger profit right there. One strength of DD imo is using the low overheads and flexibility to win sales you wouldn't have found feasible otherwise, and in turn turn a greater revenue/profit.

Didn't realise the Wii games were going to that price. Tbh I think a sub-tenner price is much more sensible - I believe they'd sell more than twice as much for half that price, and given the fairly low overhead of DD that'd be a bigger profit right there. One strength of DD imo is using the low overheads and flexibility to win sales you wouldn't have found feasible otherwise, and in turn turn a greater revenue/profit.

I imagined you typed that post whilst wearing a suit, sat in an office whilst a naked canvas painting of yourself in the Creation of Adam pose sits on show proudly above the fireplace.

Wait, whut?

Anyway, yes, no thanks at both of these prices. (digital price and rip-off box price)

I imagined you typed that post whilst wearing a suit, sat in an office whilst a naked canvas painting of yourself in the Creation of Adam pose sits on show proudly above the fireplace.

Wait, whut?

Anyway, yes, no thanks at both of these prices. (digital price and rip-off box price)

I imagined you typed that while sat naked at your desk, while behind you, stands Adam creating a suit from stuff he found in the fireplace.

Huh?

Perfect Pricing Plan: Nes - £1.99, Snes £3.49, N64 £4.99, Gamecube £7.99, Wii £9.99

Change £ to € and I'll go along with that. Isn't it fortunate that Nintendo can adopt such a high and mighty opinion of itself this generation? If they weren't the number 1 selling console and had such great PR I'd think differently. Cue, slap into reality. No, cue a tombstone into reality.

Wii games are pretty overpriced, there's fewer reasons to hike the price than to lower it:

- Metroid and Kirby are incredibly expensive second-hand, Nintendo don't see a penny of this

- Wii U games on the eShop frequently dip below £10/15

- Kirby's Adventure was a late Wii release and I'm guessing it didn't sell too well, a bargain price point would hook in everyone who missed it. £17.99 can get you a brand new retail game

- Sony have done a few HD remasters, most of which can be found either on PSN, eBay or web retailers for less than £17.99. Nintendo haven't touched it in any way, why are these games more expensive than HD remasters on other platforms? Hell, you can get PS1 games for less than a fiver on PSN, how much are N64 games going to be if Nintendo eventually upload any, £10?

I love the idea of what they're trying to do with the service, I just think that as usual for the VC/eShop, the implementation is way off.

Wii games are pretty overpriced, there's fewer reasons to hike the price than to lower it:

- Metroid and Kirby are incredibly expensive second-hand, Nintendo don't see a penny of this

- Wii U games on the eShop frequently dip below £10/15

- Kirby's Adventure was a late Wii release and I'm guessing it didn't sell too well, a bargain price point would hook in everyone who missed it. £17.99 can get you a brand new retail game

- Sony have done a few HD remasters, most of which can be found either on PSN, eBay or web retailers for less than £17.99. Nintendo haven't touched it in any way, why are these games more expensive than HD remasters on other platforms? Hell, you can get PS1 games for less than a fiver on PSN, how much are N64 games going to be if Nintendo eventually upload any, £10?

I love the idea of what they're trying to do with the service, I just think that as usual for the VC/eShop, the implementation is way off.

Very good points. I don't think anybody's mentioned your first point.

I said earlier they did nothing with these Wii games. Just a dump of code into the Wii mode. So there's no Miiverse integration nor the advantage of restore points that are in the VC games.

Wait, whut?

If I ever stop working for the government and become a richard in the private sector, there's a well-paid job for you as my interior designer. We'll get awesome suits together.

On the actual Kirby subject, I think I managed to get a disc copy for £25 a couple years ago - I'd possibly pay that now too vs. £18 for a digital copy, but only if I really really wanted the game. With no real work done on it, if I didn't own it and I wanted to play it, the £18 price tag would definitely make me consider the fairly easy wii piracy route instead. That'd apply for a lot of the Wii games, actually.

Perfect Pricing Plan: Nes - £1.99, Snes £3.49, N64 £4.99, Gamecube £7.99, Wii £9.99

I'm always in favour of cheaper DD, but I do think that's an excellent pricing plan. That £10 mark is a real boundary price for me, I think psychologically sub-tenner just feels like it's not as much money to part with.

Edited by Rummy

Seems perfectly fair, reasonable and it makes sense. I'd buy a ton of SNES and N64 games for those prices.

I don't check the eShop any more, but are there even Gamecube games on there? If so, which ones are there?

Seems perfectly fair, reasonable and it makes sense. I'd buy a ton of SNES and N64 games for those prices.

I don't check the eShop any more, but are there even Gamecube games on there? If so, which ones are there?

Dude.. there aren't even N64 games on it yet :blank:

I've said it many times before, but the Virtual Console on the Wii is so much better than the one on Wii U! Earthbound is the only game I've specifically downloaded on Wii U because I felt I had to have it, even if I haven't really touched it :red: The rest were all 30p in the Famicom sale, apart from Kirby's Dream Course that I randomly got due to a discounted price.

Having said that, even if GC games were on the Wii U VC, I have access the pretty much all the ones I want in disc form to play on Wii anyway so it's not a huge deal, for me :heh:

Portable SNES, N64 and GC games is my wish for the future of the VC :heh:

10/10 top kek. Would chuckle again.

I've said it many times before, but the Virtual Console on the Wii is so much better than the one on Wii U! Earthbound is the only game I've specifically downloaded on Wii U because I felt I had to have it, even if I haven't really touched it :red: The rest were all 30p in the Famicom sale, apart from Kirby's Dream Course that I randomly got due to a discounted price.

Tbh I feel sort of the same - don't think I've got much in the way of VC Wii U titles(though admittedly I didn't indulge loads on wii either) except the 30p titles and a couple Kirbys too. Bought Earthbound on the cheap just like yourself but still not started, wanna make sure I dedicate a good few weeks of evenings to it and get it finished(a task I never accomplished before).

Portable SNES, N64 and GC games is my wish for the future of the VC :heh:

I've thought it before but usually allow it as I don't believe they'll ever do it but Nintendo should actually consider release a Virtual Console Console, dedicated to running/emulating games from all the old systems - given evolution of tech would it be all that tricky? Biggest issue would be one of storage maybe, but like...could a Gamecube essentially be handheld these days?

I realise there's the 3DS and the VC on that, but I'm talking something a little less powerwise, and no touch screens or 3D etc, a cheapish dedicated VC console with cheapish titles to match.

Nintendo should actually consider release a Virtual Console Console, dedicated to running/emulating games from all the old systems..

It's something I'd probably like in a Nintendo phone, but given how unlikely that ever is to happen then the best thing is having a robust Virtual Console in the next portable device :smile:

Given that the 3DS doesn't even have SNES games, though, I'm not currently holding out much hope of the next handheld having anything post N64 era.. if we even get that :indeed:

I'd love to see GC games somehow make it as I'm sure it would be possible.. heck, I'd even love them to find a way to make some Wii games work with buttons and a stylus :heh:

Pac Attack SNES and Cybernator this week (both US 60hz versions).

The former is nothing special (and a version of the game is actually included in the GBA version of Pacman Collection that is on the VC - which comes with a far better game by the name of Pacman Arrangement ;) ), a pretty mediocre puzzle game really, while the latter is a somewhat obscure, but really solid, action game for the SNES - well worth checking out, especially since it's the US 60hz version on offer :)

Awesome music too! :awesome:

Edited by Dcubed

Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll (NES) - US Version €4.99 / £3.49

Kung-Fu Heroes (NES) - US Version €4.99 / £3.49

Wow... I've... actually never heard of either of these games! (They weren't released on the Wii VC in any region BTW)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!