NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I'm a fucking moron. I played this for a little while when I first got it which was 3 weeks back, I finally get some time to play it properly. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get into Zora's Domain. I only forgot that you could turn into a painting which was needed to get there.

Jesus fucking Christ I'm going mental or something.

I did that exact same thing. I got stuck on how to get over the water and figured I needed the Pegasus boots (as I'd literally just been told about them) so I went off looking for them only to realise how to actually get there once I returned!

Got the game yesterday and im enjoying it so far. Its the first 2D(-ish) Zelda that ive properly put time into as I didnt play them when they were originally out and as ive tried and not liked 3D Zelda games I was put off going back to them. Anyway im in Lowrule now and just about finished with the Thiefs Dungeon.

I did that exact same thing. I got stuck on how to get over the water and figured I needed the Pegasus boots (as I'd literally just been told about them) so I went off looking for them only to realise how to actually get there once I returned!

Did the same here too! Had a couple moments early on where I totes forgot I could turn into a painting.

Just finished this after getting it for Christmas. I enjoyed it alot, though it did seem a little on the short side.

Also, I finished the game with only 5 of the 6 items in the gear screen, what did I miss?

Just finished this after getting it for Christmas. I enjoyed it alot, though it did seem a little on the short side.

Also, I finished the game with only 5 of the 6 items in the gear screen, what did I miss?

That all depends on which 5 you have :p

ravios bracelet(unmissable)

zora flippers(surely unmissable)

titan's mitt(unmissable?)

pegasus boots(maybe missable?)

stamina scroll(probably missable)

bee badge(definitely missable) - i'd hazard a guess it might be this or the stamina scroll

Edited by Rummy

Pegasus Boots, never had them. Is that how you get those damn maimai's on top of the boulders?

Pegasus Boots, never had them. Is that how you get those damn maimai's on top of the boulders?

indeed it is! they're quite missable, and in fact I had to ask here how to get them

turn into a painting in kakariko to jump out behind the thief who speeds away/jacked the zora's jewel

You know although I like them throwing a curve ball, making as iconic an item as the Pegasus boots be actually quite easily missable was a weird choice.

They should have kept the manner in which you get them but made their collection mandatory to progress.

I felt a similar sting myself McGeachie, but then I realised that's what the games gone for and hell, they've gone for it. No biggie, just a little annoying at the end of the day. If you know of them, you KNOW they're somewhere, you just....have to figure out where :p

Just started this, got to what I think is the second dungeon.

Has anybody else:

just rented every item you can? It seems really weird that you can do that. Part of Zelda's charm is that you see somewhere you can't get to but you know there'll be an item coming, and when you beat that mini boss in dungeons, you know you've got a real treat coming. Is this feeling missing in this game, or is there still that sense of discovery? This feels a little cheap.

I don't know how people weren't getting it. The kid next to the thief kept saying how he keeps standing there with his back against the wall.

Has anybody else:

just rented every item you can? It seems really weird that you can do that. Part of Zelda's charm is that you see somewhere you can't get to but you know there'll be an item coming, and when you beat that mini boss in dungeons, you know you've got a real treat coming. Is this feeling missing in this game, or is there still that sense of discovery? This feels a little cheap.

Pretty much yeah, except the boomerang which is pretty much useless as other items do the same job.

Has anybody else:

Yeah felt like that at first(though I also died quite shortly after I did it, too, and got more selective). I think once you can get past that, or realise your expectations won't be completely met as you thought - you can really enjoy the other aspects of the game. I had the same feeling as you, but as I got through more and more of the game I just started to love the things they'd done with it elsewhere.

Has anybody else:

Why not just rent one item at a time then? That's what I did, sense of mystery and discovery still intact and I was able to take my time and enjoy and appreciate each item as I picked them. Then would buy said item with the ruppees I'd collected, and then rent the next one etc.

Beat this, freakin' loved it. Fave Zelda game I've played since WW. Found hero mode a bit annoying so didn't want to tarnish the experience and moved on :p Never did figure out how to get that damn heart piece at the top of the mountain.

Just about to go into Lorule Castle. (Terrible choice of name by the way).

I have 18 hearts, Master Sword fully powered, found all 100 maiamais so all the items are fully powered, all the gear (Pegasus Shoes, Bee Badge, Hylian Shield etc). Two blue potions and a fairy. Judging by the difficulty so far I reckon I'm a bit over powered for Yuga/Ganon.

Can't be bothered to go for the rest of the heart pieces, think they are mainly from the mini games which annoy me.

I think I've finished 4 of the Lorule dungeons so far and I'm still enjoying it. Its probably convinced me to actually go back and try to play A Link to the Past. I have it on Wii VC but it would be a nice one to try and get for my retro collection. The cartridges tend to go for about £20 on ebay.

Why not just rent one item at a time then? That's what I did, sense of mystery and discovery still intact and I was able to take my time and enjoy and appreciate each item as I picked them. Then would buy said item with the ruppees I'd collected, and then rent the next one etc.

Because it's a ball ache getting to a dungeon to find you have to get a different item. Then if the item had earned my respect/found myself preferring not to lose it, I'd give it the hardcore investment.

I don't seem to have this problem of renting, by the time I finished the 1st Lorule dungeon I had bought, outright, every item Rovio had to sell. Didn't really go out of my way to collect rupees, just got them as I came across them, but I did finish a fair few small treasure rooms.

And I'm done!

zlCfzRXH7assH4fiog

Or as done as I'll ever be, anyways. I have no desire to become the Cuccomaster or replay the game in Hero Mode, but those are the only things I've yet to accomplish.

The game was good, but the best parts were by far the story-heavy parts, of which there were quite few... It was too old school for me, I suppose.

I enjoyed it, but while playing I often thought I'd rather be replaying some older (and in my opinion, better) Zelda games, like one of my all-time favourites - Spirit Tracks.

And I think I'll do just that, now that I have a free space in my handheld gaming schedule! Might even pop back to Phantom Hourglass first (as I just... re-experienced The Wind Waker a couple of months ago).

But yeah. Good game, but it did disappoint me a bit. I understand that this is the kind of Zelda experience many people wanted, but I prefer the more modern (and definitely the more linear) Zelda games.

Yuga was a brilliant villain, though. Design and music-wise, at least. And the second phase of the final boss battle was great.

Edited by FireMeowth

I don't seem to have this problem of renting, by the time I finished the 1st Lorule dungeon I had bought, outright, every item Rovio had to sell. Didn't really go out of my way to collect rupees, just got them as I came across them, but I did finish a fair few small treasure rooms.

By the time you finished the first Lorule dungeon you spent about 8000 Rupees (excluding rental fees, if any) and you expect us to believe you "didn't really" go out of your way to collect money?!

By the time you finished the first Lorule dungeon you spent about 8000 Rupees (excluding rental fees, if any) and you expect us to believe you "didn't really" go out of your way to collect money?!

Seriously, but I certainly didn't use the quick travel, only tried that after the 2nd Lorule dungeon, currently on the 3rd (Choose to do the desert one). I'd walk everywhere, collecting rupee's whilst killing and chopping down the foliage, but at no point did I think ohhh I've gotta get me some more rupees to buy the next item. I also accumulated a lot in the mini-games I played. There's a nice one in Lorule

in the position of Kakariko village (Thieves Village?) where you choose 3 treasure chests out of a total of 20? Now, all I was after was the Heart Piece, and I stopped playing this game after I got it, but I amassed at least 2500-3000 rupees there. It just kept giving 300 and 100 rupee pieces, but no heart piece. I wasn't leaving until I got the heart piece and played a lot of times. Other than that I must be a lucky bastard:heh:.

Other than that I haven't gone out of my way to over collect. I suppose it's the way I play Zelda.

And, I love that Arnie quote :D

Edit: Just worked out the total price of renting and then buying everything, here we go:

The first item you rent is half price, most are 50, and 3 are 100. I got the bow first, so my total rental price was 575 rupees. Then to buy 7 items are 800 and 2 are 1200 each. The buying price total is 8000. So, renting and buying I paid a total of 8575 rupees to own everything. Now, I just started the 3rd dungeon and I already have another 2500 rupees tucked away for a rainy day.:smile: I just found the game gives you too many of them.

Edited by londragon

Finished the game today. Fantastic, fun but a bit too easy. Even the final boss wasn't difficult. Which was a shame.

I really enjoyed this game, but I felt that I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I hadn't have played A Link to the Past first. It's mostly due to the fact the overworlds and almost exactly the same - it takes the fun out of exploring a world when you pretty much know where everything is.

It felt quite easy as well, which has become the norm for Nintendo games of late. Being able to pick a hard mode from the outset would be nice in the future.

Apart from that, I loved it. A return to classic Zelda dungeoning of old. I liked how the story was kept to a minimum and it just allowed you to get on with the gameplay without interrupting you with cutscenes. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 3D was done really well and I kept the 3D on throughout my entire playthrough.

I would love Nintendo to make another 2D Zelda game for the 3DS, only this time create a whole new entry rather than a sequel with the same overworld.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 3D was done really well and I kept the 3D on throughout my entire playthrough.

This was probably the first 3DS game where I didnt just turn off the 3D after the first 10 minutes of playing, I thought it was used well.

I completed it last night anyway. First Zelda game ive ever completed actually.

Aside from the new item mechanics, I thought the gameplay and dungeons in this were fantastic. Thinking about it now, I'm quite excited for the new main console Zelda. Would it be the same team that works on it?