N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Hero-of-Time

I would, if the design was right. Most of the time the fan mocks are far better than what Nintendo puts out.

I loved this design.

ku-xlarge.jpg

I'd love a purple like that, let alone an MM one - even though it's ridiculous and I shouldn't afford it, I'd definitely get it.

I can say right of the bat that you will probably dislike it with this mindset :laughing:

Not necessarily. I said it would have to be stunningly brilliant to live up to and surpass ALTTP but it could still be good in its own right despite not living up to its heritage... it's certainly been good enough for most Zeldas post ALTTP anyway though some haven't even been good enough to call them that.

After watching that video clip, I was pleasantly pleased. The dungeon seemed pretty old school in terms of design and whilst it might not seem new and daring, it gave my nostalgia strings a good plucking and the new take on the Lightworld dungeon theme was playing a full blown symphony with them.

I'm not expecting it to do much new or anything better, Zelda rarely offers one or the other lately (both is out of the question), but as long as they stick to what worked before, it can't go too far wrong in terms of delivering a classic top down Zelda experience providing the dungeons design holds up.

I really hope that isn't going to be the finished dungeon. It was piss easy!

I tend to get the impression that the dungeons they show off at these kind events tend to be fairly representative of their final appearance. Sometimes bosses get swapped in and out depending on their relevance to the location and the rooms might get slightly shuffled around but most of what you see ends up being left intact.

Looks like a pretty cookie-cutter, NSMB-type "sequel" to me...

Whilst we may scoff at them now, I was genuinely excited by the prospect of the first NSMB - that and DSL revision were enough to get me onboard. In the end, there wasn't much new about it and they've since ran it into the ground, but had they left it as a one off, it would have been a quaint throwback to older games and probably hold greater appeal with people than it does now. The first game is retroactively seen as a lazy, cynical cash-in because that's what the rest felt like even though at the time, every asset in the game was brand new.

Every model in this game is brand new, even if existing designs, and the music is at least remixed and not the same - so it's already beating a NSMB sequel on that alone.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Surely Spirit Tracks was just a same-engine sequel like Majora's Mask? The New Super Mario Bros games, on the other hand, only appear once per console and are always optimised for that machine (graphics, resolution etc). Personally, I enjoy both approaches as long as the game is good.

Spirit Tracks is amazing, and improved in PH in every single way it needed to be improved. It's not even comparable with NSMB, as ST doesn't take place in an Ocean :heh:

But seriously, Grazza is right. We might as well say that Majora's Mask and the Oracles are cookie-cutter because they use assets from the previous entries (the oracles even *gasp* reuse sprites and bosses!)

You guys are all crazy.

PH was awesome, spirit tracks was less so.

If you think MM was cookie cutter though, you're absolutely mental. It re-used a lot, but in a rather fresh way - and gave it the strange air of familiarity in a strange new world. A familiarity the world seemed ignorant of - really added to the feeling of the game imo.

If you think MM was cookie cutter though, you're absolutely mental. It re-used a lot, but in a rather fresh way - and gave it the strange air of familiarity in a strange new world. A familiarity the world seemed ignorant of - really added to the feeling of the game imo.

I was just being ironic (sorry if that wasn't clear). I don't actually think MM or the Oracles are cookie cutter sequels, just like I don't think ST is, either.

I was just being ironic (sorry if that wasn't clear). I don't actually think MM or the Oracles are cookie cutter sequels, just like I don't think ST is, either.

Oh no, not you, that was a generalised you. I should have said people. Both MM and the Oracles did amazing things, albeit it with existing assets, I don't know if I DO feel the same about spirit tracks though. I also kinda wanted to comment on how it actually works in MM too.

Both MM and the Oracles did amazing things, albeit it with existing assets...

I'd love to see Nintendo do this more frequently. As with MM, look at Super Mario Galaxy 2 to see what else they can do with recycled gaming ideas/assets. Sure, they do this moreso in the NSMB universe, but it's in the 3D space that I like to see this aspect.

Nintendo create such stunning games that we become attached to the universes. Seeing the assets repeated only reinforces the originals appeal and when wrapped up in the mind of Nintendo's legendary developers they still feel fresh and new. Like I said in my N-E SMG2 review (plug), it's like recycling a plastic bottle to create a Jumbo Jet.

If it means more games I'm all for it.

I'd love to see Nintendo do this more frequently. As with MM, look at Super Mario Galaxy 2 to see what else they can do with recycled gaming ideas/assets. Sure, they do this moreso in the NSMB universe, but it's in the 3D space that I like to see this aspect.

Nintendo create such stunning games that we become attached to the universes. Seeing the assets repeated only reinforces the originals appeal and when wrapped up in the mind of Nintendo's legendary developers they still feel fresh and new. Like I said in my N-E SMG2 review (plug), it's like recycling a plastic bottle to create a Jumbo Jet.

Well said. From reports it seems Nintendo were planning on creating Wind Waker 2 using the same assets for the Gamecube, but the (annoyingly infantile) reaction to the cel shaded graphics at the time put them off, so we ended up with TP. It's probably around that point Nintendo started going quite safe with their Zelda games.

I guess Phantom Hourglass will have to do as a sequel to Wind Waker now, shame.

PH was awesome, spirit tracks was less so.

You know it, @\[color\="DarkSlateBlue"\]Rummy\[/color\] lad :grin: I loved Phantom Hourglass but found the dungeons in Spirit Tracks to be boring, rather than enjoyable :hmm:

Anyway, I downloaded A Link to the Past on the Wii a couple of weeks ago so hopefully making my way through that will make me more excited for this..

Tbh, I think re-using of assets whilst almost completely transforming gameplay is a much less heinous crime than making a new game but sticking to a very same and tired old formula. MM's time system made it a very different game, crafting it as a whole living and breathing world that sort of went on by itself; with or without you. The oracles took the classic LttP and LA style, but decided to go for cross game interation and overarch with a central game mechanic/item for each. Ages and Seasons, two inevitable forces. There's a strange irony I guess, as they're both time really but of completely different perspectives - one in the linear-trinity sense of past present and future, and the other in a cyclical sense of the seasons and the world. The cross-linking, which built on each game's excellent standalone gameplay, was just total icing on the cake. Nice to see them try alternative villains in them too, rather than tired ol' Gannondorf again.

Really, the oracles and MM might be two of top games in the series - the problem is I feel I'm forced to mark them down because their existences ARE entirely dependant on previous games.

You know it, @\[color\="DarkSlateBlue"\]Rummy\[/color\] lad :grin: I loved Phantom Hourglass but found the dungeons in Spirit Tracks to be boring, rather than enjoyable :hmm:

Anyway, I downloaded A Link to the Past on the Wii a couple of weeks ago so hopefully making my way through that will make me more excited for this..

Similar thoughts to my own! I didn't wish to voice them though :p I know a number of people didn't like the revisiting of the main temple thingy, but I actually kinda liked that(mostly how both it and your own progress through it changed with time and items too).

As for LttP, that's unfortunately a game heavily biased by my sub ten-year-old self. I can't remember quite how old I was, but it was my first proper Zelda, and it was magical too. I find its ice temple a precursor to OoT's water temple too; as no matter how many times I replay the game, I always get lost somehow in that damn place. I view it very highly, but can't promise it's an accurate representation of the game in this day and age - would be most interested in your thoughts on it as you play through with fresh eyes.

Personally I thought Spirit Tracks was far better than Phantom Hourglass. If nothing else, at least it didn't force you to repeat the same dungeon over and over (a series low for Zelda IMO). The final bits of ST were console quality.