Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

darkjak

Yeah I reckon Wii U will sell better as well initially, bigger install base and probably more people prepared to spend £40 rather than £60 plus the new console as well.

Saying that if they sell through the 2 million initials Switch's I imagine most will be picking up Zelda, so worldwide could be a different story!

Can't believe I caved and watched that story spoiler video (based on the special edition map) no more! I want Ocarina of Time levels of freshness with this :)

It's not £60. Will probably be £45 by release

I think this game could very easily serve the role of being either a prequel or sequel to an already existing game, though I'd prefer them to go the route of a direct sequel to this game. It feels like it could definitely have a Princess Mononoke styled ending (I know, I keep coming back to this, but alas, that film is great) with Zelda aiming to help rebuild Hyrule for a new era, and to learn from their previous mistakes, alongside her father (the Old Man, who would probably be well within his rights to abdicate after so long - technically, at least - on the throne). Link could then be set up for another adventure somehow.

In this age of sequels, prequels and remakes, it'd feel like they'd be missing a chance to add even more layers to the Zelda lore, in my opinion. Having *mostly* self-contained games is great, but the pay-off for lifelong fans of Zelda in this game alone will be great. Oh well, just a hope :P

I think this game could very easily serve the role of being either a prequel or sequel to an already existing game, though I'd prefer them to go the route of a direct sequel to this game. It feels like it could definitely have a Princess Mononoke styled ending (I know, I keep coming back to this, but alas, that film is great) with Zelda aiming to help rebuild Hyrule for a new era, and to learn from their previous mistakes, alongside her father (the Old Man, who would probably be well within his rights to abdicate after so long - technically, at least - on the throne). Link could then be set up for another adventure somehow.

In this age of sequels, prequels and remakes, it'd feel like they'd be missing a chance to add even more layers to the Zelda lore, in my opinion. Having *mostly* self-contained games is great, but the pay-off for lifelong fans of Zelda in this game alone will be great. Oh well, just a hope :P

Considering Phantom Hourglass was a direct sequel to Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks a sequel to Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess a sequel to OOT and Skyward Sword a prequel to all of them, I think you'll get your wish. Nintendo are placing a lot more importance on where the games fit in the overall timeline(s) these days.

Then in your very particular case, where you won't play any other game on the Switch ever, fair enough, Zelda isn't worth £320. For most people who plan on gaming more than one game on the thing, the better version is obviously the way to go.

Not really... If I buy Zelda on my Wii U, it is £40 added onto my overall Wii U investment... and the cost of the Wii U itself (about £200 with 3 games included) it's not so much. Per game my Wii U overhead is comfortably below £10 a game.

If I buy Zelda, constructor, Mario, Splatoon 2... each for £50-£60 I understand, divide the £280 across those, each game ends up coming in at around £120-£130.

am I willing to pay that much for any of those games? I can't honestly say that I am.

Is Zelda Switch worth £70 more than Zelda Wii U? Nope. Obviously switch won't match wii u in terms of library, but still!

Obviously switch won't match wii u in terms of library, but still!

Not sure if you're saying it'll be better or worse... I think for Nintendo game it's going to be substantially better. Possibly the best first party out put ever, in terms of quantity at least.

No, I think...

...it will end with the Great Flood.

Interesting shout;

Given it's all techy-esque it could easily be pegged as a title far in the future - but ending with the Great Flood does give them license essentially for a free 'wipe' so I can totally see it happening now you've speculated it!

Not really... If I buy Zelda on my Wii U, it is £40 added onto my overall Wii U investment... and the cost of the Wii U itself (about £200 with 3 games included) it's not so much. Per game my Wii U overhead is comfortably below £10 a game.

If I buy Zelda, constructor, Mario, Splatoon 2... each for £50-£60 I understand, divide the £280 across those, each game ends up coming in at around £120-£130.

am I willing to pay that much for any of those games? I can't honestly say that I am.

Is Zelda Switch worth £70 more than Zelda Wii U? Nope. Obviously switch won't match wii u in terms of library, but still!

So you're comparing the cost of four years with the Wii U, to nine months with the Switch?

I'm more curious as to how many games he got and at what price - I can't even imagine there's been enough WiiU games to bring the average below £10 a piece with system factored in too!

EDIT: Wait I think I understand - you mean that per game the Wii U's base cost adds on an extra £10?

So you're comparing the cost of four years with the Wii U, to nine months with the Switch?

If you read the last line of my post that's my answer.... But basically yes that is exactly what I am doing. I don't buy new hardware for fun.

I'm more curious as to how many games he got and at what price - I can't even imagine there's been enough WiiU games to bring the average below £10 a piece with system factored in too!

EDIT: Wait I think I understand - you mean that per game the Wii U's base cost adds on an extra £10?

I bought the Wii U for £200 with Nintendoland, lego city and rayman. per game that is already £60. I bought splintercell and deus ex for under £10 altogether, assassins creed was £6.. bought a fitness game for £3. so £240 with 6 games and the price was already £40 per game. I don't think the price per game dropped to below £20 per game (unless we count eshop titles?)

Oh actually... with MK8 I got it for £10 and 2 free games thanks to NUK screwing up delivery. so £250 for 9 games... so £27 :D being late to the game I was playing catch up and games tended to be discounted. Also that premium thing Nintendo did helped drive prices down!

I got a load of cheap e shop games and that humble bundle so.... yeah. Wii U did well actually.

If you read the last line of my post that's my answer.... But basically yes that is exactly what I am doing. I don't buy new hardware for fun.

And you see no problem with that? Criticising the first 9 months of a console and comparing it to four years of another? Why not compare it to the first 9 months of the Wii U if you want to fairly contrast the value of both.

Not sure if you're saying it'll be better or worse... I think for Nintendo game it's going to be substantially better. Possibly the best first party out put ever, in terms of quantity at least.

I was just meaning a (full?) 4 year life vs 9 month birth... the Wii U wasn't THAT poorly supported that a new console can surpass it's library within 9 months.

And you see no problem with that? Criticising the first 9 months of a console and comparing it to four years of another? Why not compare it to the first 9 months of the Wii U if you want to fairly contrast the value of both.

Nope.

I'm not criticising the switch. :o

I'm NOT criticising the Switch.:o

I LIKE the Switch :o

I OWN a Wii U. this may come as a surprise to you, but I don't actually own a switch yet. If I want one, I need to buy it. Before I do that I need to feel it represents good value for money.

BotW does not allow me to come to that conclusion as I am able to buy it for my Wii U. This saves me having to buy the new console AND the game itself would cost £20 less. It would also add value for money to my Wii U.

By the way Ronnie... I'm not criticising the Switch.

Firstly, BOTW is not £20 more on Switch, it's (at the moment) £8-10 more, likely to come down in the coming weeks.

Secondly, I don't care if you're criticising the Switch or not. It's this statement of yours that made no sense whatsoever.

See, makes no sense. You're comparing the value of a four year console, with the value of a nine month console. Unless of course you're planning on never buying another game after Mario. In which case, yes I could see your point. Though I suspect you're likely to buy more than just three games in the Switch's lifetime.

You are by no means alone, but at least decide if you're going to use RRP or not when discussing comparative values.

I was comparing just released RRP to just released RRP, because that's all we had at the time and it was a fair comparison.

When people talk specifically about having to spend another £20 to get Zelda on Switch, that's just incorrect.

I was comparing just released RRP to just released RRP, because that's all we had at the time and it was a fair comparison.

When people talk specifically about having to spend another £20 to get Zelda on Switch, that's just incorrect.

Okay that could be one line of argument, but BOTW is £20 more on Switch. That is how much extra Nintendo has decided to charge. We may be able to pick it up for cheaper, but it's in spite of Nintendo. It is fair (and factual) to say it costs £20 more on Switch and reasonable to be annoyed that Nintendo decided to charge 50% extra on the Wii U cost. It is also good that providing you shop around you don't have to pay that price, but there shouldn't be an assumption that you'll always be able to pick up this game at the lowest price (due to price changes or even just access that an individual may have - i.e. not everyone is going to be searching the web to pick up the game).

Firstly, BOTW is not £20 more on Switch, it's (at the moment) £8-10 more, likely to come down in the coming weeks.

Secondly, I don't care if you're criticising the Switch or not. It's this statement of yours that made no sense whatsoever.

See, makes no sense. You're comparing the value of a four year console, with the value of a nine month console. Unless of course you're planning on never buying another game after Mario. In which case, yes I could see your point. Though I suspect you're likely to buy more than just three games in the Switch's lifetime.

Well since Ashley covered the firstly...

Secondly I'm pretty sure you do care, but I apologise for my lack of clarity anyway, I've not had enough sleep for a looooong time now and my mind is on other things.

In any case, it does makes sense.

you see.. I own a Wii U. Whereas I may never own a Switch. :wink:

Unless you are suggesting that Nintendo will never create another console after the switch?? (Not to mention the other console manufacturers... and PC's...)

And sure, I also suspect I will purchase more than 3 games during the switches lifetime... just not sure if any of them will be switch titles ;)

Still stirring I see @Sheikah? Magnificent? Ha ha if you say so. :indeed:

Okay that could be one line of argument, but BOTW is £20 more on Switch. That is how much extra Nintendo has decided to charge. We may be able to pick it up for cheaper, but it's in spite of Nintendo. It is fair (and factual) to say it costs £20 more on Switch and reasonable to be annoyed that Nintendo decided to charge 50% extra on the Wii U cost. It is also good that providing you shop around you don't have to pay that price, but there shouldn't be an assumption that you'll always be able to pick up this game at the lowest price (due to price changes or even just access that an individual may have - i.e. not everyone is going to be searching the web to pick up the game).

Except that Pestneb was basically saying "I have to spend £20 more to get Zelda on Switch", not "Nintendo recommend charging £20 more for Zelda on Switch".

I QUITE CLEARLY spoke about fluctuating prices, saying

it's (at the moment) £8-10 more, likely to come down in the coming weeks

As for my previous post, I was comparing RRP to RRP because that's all we had so soon after the announcement of the new DS4s and the new Pro controller.

They're completely different circumstances.

Well since Ashley covered the firstly...

Secondly I'm pretty sure you do care, but I apologise for my lack of clarity anyway, I've not had enough sleep for a looooong time now and my mind is on other things.

In any case, it does makes sense.

you see.. I own a Wii U. Whereas I may never own a Switch. :wink:

Unless you are suggesting that Nintendo will never create another console after the switch?? (Not to mention the other console manufacturers... and PC's...)

And sure, I also suspect I will purchase more than 3 games during the switches lifetime... just not sure if any of them will be switch titles ;)

I can't tell if you're deliberately being obtuse or you genuinely believe all this :confused: