NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Finished the DLC. The first bit is annoying but the rest fairly easy after that. I do enjoy the shrines (although a couple seemed like Nintendo forgot about the flameproof armour), so I'm glad that there were some new ones. The toy at the end is fun. 

That said, the content that was included was a bit of a disappointment. 

42 minutes ago, Cube said:

Finished the DLC. The first bit is annoying but the rest fairly easy after that. I do enjoy the shrines (although a couple seemed like Nintendo forgot about the flameproof armour), so I'm glad that there were some new ones. The toy at the end is fun. 

That said, the content that was included was a bit of a disappointment. 

Vague, non spoilery impressions of the dungeon?

How long to do the story stuff?

Just now, Ronnie said:

Vague, non spoilery impressions of the dungeon?

It exists. Not awful but nothing particularly interesting about it either.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

How long to do the story stuff?

I didn't really keep track - perhaps about 6-8 or so, but there's a lot of time spent moving around and looking for stuff on the map.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Cube said:

It exists. Not awful but nothing particularly interesting about it either.

That's a shame. Similar sort of thing as the divine beasts, time wise then?

It's definitely more of the same. But I don't mind as the Shrines are among the best in the game. The challenges leading up to the new Shrines are a bit trivial. Hardest part of them is to find them from that small piece of the map.

I have done the Gerudo and am almost finished with the Zora. I don't like the way these new trials end, I thought I was done with those! 

I haven't found any of the new items. Don't care much for those.

53 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I haven't found any of the new items. Don't care much for those.

The trader's mask and horse stuff are worth finding. 

Is it just me or are the voice acting and cutscenes better in the DLC compared to what they were in the main game?

Despite being more of the same, I have been enjoying running around Hyrule again and I forgot just how good the art direction is in the game.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Is it just me or are the voice acting and cutscenes better in the DLC compared to what they were in the main game?

I watched one scene when Dcubed's bro got to it and the game completely crapped out and played no voices what-so-ever. Music and visuals were still going, but no speaking. Which just made me want to play Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword again. So I'm gonna go with no. In fact, that would technically make it worse.

• Haha 3

So I am trying to decide whether I will go for the DLC or not. Right now I finished the main game but still have about 30 subquests to do, next to collecting more Koroks/shrines/gear. So time-wise I don't need the DLC since I got plenty of hours to go.

What bugs me though is that the DLC adds a lot of stuff to make questing more convenient. Stuff like the Korok mask, Hero's Path, Teleportation Rune and the Ancient Saddle are super useful. But they should have made this post-game content and not paid content.

• Like 2

So, the dlc's help if you have them from beginning of the game, or you get it halfway through?

34 minutes ago, Kounan said:

So, the dlc's help if you have them from beginning of the game, or you get it halfway through?

You have to do the 4 divine beasts.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

You have to do the 4 divine beasts.

Ah, so first them and than the DLC's kick in..... I am thinking of buying it, but have still not finished the main story.

2 minutes ago, Kounan said:

Ah, so first them and than the DLC's kick in..... I am thinking of buying it, but have still not finished the main story.

Oh yeah, sorry, I had the 2nd DLC pack fresh in my mind. The Master trials are something you can do when you have the master sword. Hard mode is obviously available from the start. The extras (costumes) are available whenever. That includes the costumes from the 2nd pack.

Just now, Sméagol said:

Oh yeah, sorry, I had the 2nd DLC pack fresh in my mind. The Master trials are something you can do when you have the master sword. Hard mode is obviously available from the start. The extras (costumes) are available whenever. That includes the costumes from the 2nd pack.

OK; the second one is continuation of the story if I am correct so I understand that it has to start later in the game, but the new outfits and other options are avaiable from beginning (hard mode isn't for me :D)?

1 minute ago, Kounan said:

OK; the second one is continuation of the story if I am correct so I understand that it has to start later in the game, but the new outfits and other options are avaiable from beginning (hard mode isn't for me :D)?

Yeah, but: if hard mode isn't for you, I'm not sure the master trials will be either. They're the hardest challenge in the game, and the reward is underwhelming (from what I understand, I've not even done them myself yet :p). The costumes are available, but I don't know how much you want them. Personally I don't find them too interesting. The Korok mask is probably the best as it has actually some useful functionality (for those who can't be bothered to find Koroks the hard way). The travel medallion (a custom travel point) is useful, and that's it I believe.

1 minute ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, but: if hard mode isn't for you, I'm not sure the master trials will be either. They're the hardest challenge in the game, and the reward is underwhelming (from what I understand, I've not even done them myself yet :p). The costumes are available, but I don't know how much you want them. Personally I don't find them too interesting. The Korok mask is probably the best as it has actually some useful functionality (for those who can't be bothered to find Koroks the hard way). The travel medallion (a custom travel point) is useful, and that's it I believe.

I don't mind hard games it's just that the game is to long to start it again on hard mode. Trials should be fine :).

Thx for the infom, I will probably get it soon, so I can continue the story.

2 minutes ago, Blade said:

Out of interest has anyone attempted Master Mode?

I've put about 5 hours into it (still yet to find 120 shrines or start the DLC on my main save file). While I do like it, it goes a bit too far in buffing up the enemies, they are overpowered to the point of ridiculousness. It does feel like a different game at times though, and really changes how you approach enemies. Certainly after becoming hugely overpowered during my main save, I approached camps with much more caution as death was almost guaranteed from one slip up. Being a damage sponge with 30 hearts does not help develop your defence and attack skills, so it's much more critical to hone them in Master Mode.

Once I find the last few shines and complete the DLC I'll probably give it a full run through up to Ganon, IF I don't end up getting pissed off at the almost invincible enemies.

35 minutes ago, Blade said:

Out of interest has anyone attempted Master Mode?

Doing my "no fast travel" go on Master Mode, it does feel like a different game in many respects; finding I've had to pick and choose battles more carefully and selling alot of gems to buy and power up armour too.

It's been interesting doing the DLC on my normal go, what a luxury fast travel feels!

I finished the DLC yesterday evening.

DQxlDFNVwAADFN0.jpg

I was disappointed with what the DLC offered. I was hoping for a proper dungeon and a decent bit of story to be added but sadly I didn't get that out of it. Having more shrines and another Divine Beast just felt like the same old stuff. Also, I would happily fly over to the Nintendo HQ and punch the guy who keeps putting motion controlled shrine puzzles in the game.

I played through Horizon and BOTW pretty close together when they were released and once again this has happened with the DLC. Horizon's DLC was cheaper, had new enemies, lasted 12-15 hours, had a new story and a whole new area to explore that had different weather. It felt like a proper expansion whereas as this does feel kinda tacked on and an after thought .Obviously the games should be taken on their own merit but I found interesting to once again compare the games that have led very similar lives. :) 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Also, I would happily fly over to the Nintendo HQ and punch the guy who keeps putting motion controlled shrine puzzles in the game.

I'll be happy to join.

• Like 1

I agree with the criticism, this is not very ambitious at all. Adding a new divine beast just doesn't make sense - they could at least have referenced the fifth one in the original storyline but now it just feels tacked on. I think the better thing would be to add some dungeon in a mountain, some proper dungeon. 

That said, however, I think the new shrines are among the best in the game. 

Really disappointing to hear, especially as Nintendo have been amazing with their DLC previously.... I mean more of the best game ever isn’t bad and can’t wait to play it again (and pack 1), but I think we all wanted, and expected, a proper expansion, almost a mini game in itself set in the same world. 

So what I've been hearing is that this should never have been described as "story dlc" and some fans are feeling almost lied to. You guys who have played it agree with that?

18 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

So what I've been hearing is that this should never have been described as "story dlc" and some fans are feeling almost lied to. You guys who have played it agree with that?

I wouldn't be as harsh as to say we were lied to. There is a bit of backstory to each of the champions but it's not really substantial at all. There's story there but it may as well not be.