NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles X (4th Dec)

So I hear this game (the Japanese version at least) doesn't feature surround sound, only stereo. Pretty weird. :blank:

Not that it really bothers me, seeing as I'm still rocking my old non-HDMI AV Receiver. :hehe:

I imagine some people won't be too pleased about that though, including @Dcubed. BTW, any thoughts on why they've omitted 5.1? Technical reasons perhaps? ::shrug:

???

News to me! AFAIK, 5.1 support is mandatory, so it really should be there...

Maybe it's one of those games that has a weird sound mix, where they just choose not to use the rear speakers even in 5.1 mode? I know that NSMBU and Smash Wii U did that, but I don't see why Xenoblade X wouldn't... (maybe they use the rear speakers for sound effects only and not music? I dunno :heh:)

???

News to me! AFAIK, 5.1 support is mandatory, so it really should be there...

Maybe it's one of those games that has a weird sound mix, where they just choose not to use the rear speakers even in 5.1 mode? I know that NSMBU and Smash Wii U did that, but I don't see why Xenoblade X wouldn't... (maybe they use the rear speakers for sound effects only and not music? I dunno :heh:)

Just something I read on Neogaf. ::shrug:

I remember you mentioning 5.1 support being mandatory though, so it seemed strange to see someone complaining that this game was in stereo. Unless of course it is like NSMBU and Smash. But that's also weird because a stereo mix at least makes some sense in both of those cases, but obviously Xenoblade would benefit hugely by featuring surround sound.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the game is out over here to find out for sure. I've gotten used to playing Wii U in stereo again now anyway, these days I get my surround sound fix from the PS3/4. :)

This is still pretty rubbish if true, even the original Xenoblade Chronicles had surround sound so it was a given that this would support it.

Even the 3DS version seems to have some kind of pseudo-surround...

Just something I read on Neogaf. ::shrug:

I remember you mentioning 5.1 support being mandatory though, so it seemed strange to see someone complaining that this game was in stereo. Unless of course it is like NSMBU and Smash. But that's also weird because a stereo mix at least makes some sense in both of those cases, but obviously Xenoblade would benefit hugely by featuring surround sound.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the game is out over here to find out for sure. I've gotten used to playing Wii U in stereo again now anyway, these days I get my surround sound fix from the PS3/4. :)

Yeah, a stereo mix seems weird for a game like this. I'm inclined to believe that the guy messed with his settings or didn't have his Wii U set up properly or something, because I would absolutely expect this game to have a thumping good 5.1 mix!

I mean, I suppose that it's possible that they just didn't want to use the rear speakers, but I can't see why ::shrug:

Edited by Dcubed

This is still pretty rubbish if true, even the original Xenoblade Chronicles had surround sound so it was a given that this would support it.

Even the 3DS version seems to have some kind of pseudo-surround...

I really do hope it's a case of setting messing, but this is worrying if it's true.

Maybe they just don't want people to realise how lame the voices will be compared to Britain.

I really do hope it's a case of setting messing, but this is worrying if it's true.

Maybe they just don't want people to realise how lame the voices will be compared to Britain.

"I'm!...er...hmm...not really feeling it, Shulk.'

Xenoblade Chronicles X: First Impressions of Nintendo's Open World RPG - IGN Plays

Analysis and comparison of Xenoblade Chronicles X sales.

• sold 85,586 copies in its first week*
  • Xenoblade sold sold 83,000 copies in its first week
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3D sold 56,923 copies in its first week.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X sold through 70 percent of its initial shipment

We Spent a Week with Xenoblade X - NVC Podcast

Xenoblade Chronicles X executive director on the game’s Skells

The most recent issue of Famitsu has an interview with Tetsuya Takahashi, the executive director for Xenoblade Chronicles X. One of the topics the magazine touched on regularly was the Skells – otherwise known as Dolls.

Regarding what Monolith Soft ordered from Skell designer Takayuki Yanase, Takahashi said: “We ordered frame structures that are easy to design, easy for us to create and easy to turn into 3D.”

Next, here’s what Takahashi said about why there were many designers working to create Skells, characters and weapons:

"There are two big reasons. First, there are several forces with their own culture. We wanted to give each force and corporation their unique characteristic similar to how the designs of Toyota and Nissan differ, although both of them are Japanese cars. The other reason is that there are many different equipment in this game and it would be hard for one designer to create them all. That is why we asked several designers to work with us."

Takahashi also shared the following about super weapons for Skells:

"Super weapons are very powerful weapons but they aren’t easy to obtain. They were implemented as an objective which keeps the player motivated after obtaining a Skell, but we also wanted to create strong weapons and weapons which change the silhouette of a Skell. Please obtain them and use them for the changed appearance and powerful attacks."

As a bonus, we’ve also translated what Takahashi said about Xenoblade Chronicles X’s Treasure Deal. Essentially, the feature allows players in squads to exchange equipment.

Takahashi noted:

"I don’t know how much the Treasure Deal will be used, but for us it’s one chance to turn players’ companionship into friendship. If you become friends, you can join the same Squad and challenge Squad quests."

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-executive-director-on-the-games-skells/

All Customization Male & Female In Avatar Maker: Xenoblade Chronicles X (1080p60)

I think the editor is great and can't wait to experiment with it.

Some on Kotaku imported the Japanese version and has played 70 hours of this game, and unfortunately doesn't sound too positive. He says that combat is a slog and not very interesting.

If I were to describe my 70 hours with Xenoblade X in one word, it would be “boredom”. The main story did little to get me invested, the side quests were repetitive at best, and the combat was a painfully monotonous slog even with the advanced classes unlocked.

The game’s one redeeming feature is the world of Mira itself. In the years to come, I hope that the hours I spent exploring beautiful landscapes of this alien world are what I remember about Xenoblade X, and not, you know, everything else.

Sounds a little disappointing really. Guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

Edited by Sheikah

No way :(

Really hope it's just him, though...this is one of the two games I'm keeping my Wii U for.

No way :(

Really hope it's just him, though...this is one of the two games I'm keeping my Wii U for.

A lot of people on GAF who imported the game would massively disagree.

The general consesnus is that it's not boring at all.

(Unless, of course, you found the original Xenoblade boring)

A lot of people on GAF who imported the game would massively disagree.

Well, I'm sure a lot of people here would massively disagree, as well, without even playing the game, so... :p :D

Well, I'm sure a lot of people here would massively disagree, as well, without even playing the game, so... :p :D

Aren't opinions hilarious?

(Unless, of course, you found the original Xenoblade boring)

The thing I find rather unhelpful about the Kotaku impressions posted above is the complete avoidance of mentioning how it compares to the original. All the complaints levelled could also be said of the previous game and they're left just vague enough that you can't be sure either way.

I didn't find any one element in the Wii game that great in itself (apart from the world, which is praised here, and the music, which is not mentioned). After a while though everything started to add up - story, combat, side quests, exploration - to make a satisfying experience. Hoping the same is true of this.

The thing is though, Kotaku love RPGs in general and although it was a different guy who reviewed the original, they were reasonably positive about the first game. It could be a case of "this guy doesn't like JRPGs" but then it'd be pretty weird to have him review it, if that was the case. To be honest, I'm yet to see anyone who actually disliked the original.

It genuinely sounds like he just did not enjoy playing the game.

To be honest, I'm yet to see anyone who actually disliked the original.

I didn't dislike it, but it was hardly the second coming that many were praising it as. I've played much better JRPGs in my time. Hell, there were better JRPGs last generation, with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey being far more to my liking.

The thing I find rather unhelpful about the Kotaku impressions posted above is the complete avoidance of mentioning how it compares to the original. All the complaints levelled could also be said of the previous game and they're left just vague enough that you can't be sure either way.

I didn't find any one element in the Wii game that great in itself (apart from the world, which is praised here, and the music, which is not mentioned). After a while though everything started to add up - story, combat, side quests, exploration - to make a satisfying experience. Hoping the same is true of this.

In comparison to the original would definitely be a lot more helpful, given that I expect most of our expectations are based on that already. Whilst dissappointing to read, it's good to see that apparently others are disagreeing, and I'll buy the game when it comes as I really enjoyed the original(though not entirely for its gameplay anyway).

It is quite hard to understand why I liked the original so much now when I think back because it was for a whole host of different reasons. It goes something like (in order):

Music, Story, Voice Acting(*), Exploring, Battle Gameplay

(* Because they had english accents and it was refreshing. Never got irritated with the repetition)

I already know the music is not going to be as good from videos etc.

The story does not sound as good/epic from the 12 missions comment in the preview above.

It sounds like exploring and battle gameplay will be similar (exploring might even be better) and the rest not as good. I had hoped the online options and a possible co-op play through would trump anything else that turned out to be not as good but this being Nintendo, those options are weird. :heh:

The original really got me into playing the game at every waking moment I had, which I have not had since the N64 days. I doubt this will have the same effect, but will probably still be a good game.

Some on Kotaku imported the Japanese version and has played 70 hours of this game, and unfortunately doesn't sound too positive. He says that combat is a slog and not very interesting.

Sounds a little disappointing really. Guess we'll have to see how it pans out.

Just like the first game then!

Seen the rest of the discussion. I found the first gsme so painfully dull and an absolute chore to play through... Well I stopped very early on because I just didn't want to continue. I was still planning on buying this to give it a proper go... But maybe that isnt a good idea....

I was still planning on buying this to give it a proper go... But maybe that isnt a good idea....
It'll be the PS4 all over again :p

*checks to make sure that this is the right thread*

Is Shulk in this game? Or any of the characters from the Wii game?

I'm not currently pumped, but I hope to be closer to release. The battle system was excellent in Chronicles and it looks pretty ace here.