NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

Nice to see an hour and half in, and this place is lit up with grand information

Turns out I was wrong about the price. Apologies. Not sure about MS's motivation.

Agreed that the biggest cheer being original Xbox BC is a good sum up.

It felt like another xbox conference with tons of indie games.

[tweet]874041989309714433[/tweet]

Insane!!! Packing an awful lot into such a small console.

They nailed the design.

Insane!!! Packing an awful lot into such a small console.

They nailed the design.

Shame about the price though.

It seems many weren't impressed with the Microsoft conference. Not surprising, really. Lots of bland games and nothing really new from the 1st party side of things.

Phil Spencer must be really struggling to get Japanese support for the console if all he could get out of his trip to Japan was getting Namco to bring the DBZ and that anime Dark Souls type game to the platform.

Shame about the price though.

It seems many weren't impressed with the Microsoft conference. Not surprising, really. Lots of bland games and nothing really new from the 1st party side of things.

Phil Spencer must be really struggling to get Japanese support for the console if all he could get out of his trip to Japan was getting Namco to bring the DBZ and that anime Dark Souls type game to the platform.

It's very expensive but what's the PS4 pro £399?

Scorpio is 50% more powerful, 50% more RAM, has UHD Blu Ray player. It was always going to be more expensive. I'm no expert but does the price represent the tech?

Now will the market care about that? I am not so sure and it will be niche but I don't know think MS really see this a mass consumer product. They want to change the narrative and have the most powerful console on the market.

It's very expensive but what's the PS4 pro £399?

Scorpio is 50% more powerful, 50% more RAM, has UHD Blu Ray player. It was always going to be more expensive.

Now will the market care about that? I am not so sure and it will be niche but I don't know think MS really see this a mass consumer product. They want to change the narrative and have the most powerful console on the market.

PS4 Pro is £340-£350 at the moment and with 2 games. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony counter the X with a price cut nearer the time of its release.

It's all well and good having the most powerful console on the market but if you haven't got the software to back it up then it's useless. There's also the issue that this isn't even a new console, it's a mid generation upgrade. They've lost a lot of ground this gen and I honestly don't think this is the way to get it back. The console has other problems (the updates and installation process, awful UI, lack of killer 1st party games) that Microsoft should be addressing first.

But seriously, the name:

The Xbox One X's name raised a few eyebrows, with some gamers describing it as a "tongue-twister" online.

"I suspect we'll get used to it - the same way we got used to the Wii and Wii U," said Paul Jackson, an analyst at Ovum.

Always a great thing when your newest and most powerful console is compared to the Wii U...:indeed:

PS4 Pro is £340-£350 at the moment and with 2 games. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony counter the X with a price cut nearer the time of its release.

I'm half expecting Sony to do what they typically do whenever a new console is revealed before their E3 show: react; a £50 price cut to the Pro - and a £20-£30 price cut to the Slim - could easily sink MS's One X ship upon launch.

I'm all for pushing technology and the boundaries of what a game console can do, but I'm in agreement with all of you that the time for a console like this - perhaps not in terms of graphics or processing, but in terms of statements such as "the most powerful console ever" - should have come years back when the original One was revealed.

I fail to see how this puts Sony in anything other than a better position than they were before: the One X simply being in production will likely drive down costs for the components of the next generation of consoles in some way, and the technological leap from this generation to the next will be much greater from the Pro to the PS5 than the One X to the Xbox Two (especially so if they plan on selling effectively the same hardware again).

It's Sony's reaction that will again define a new set of consoles, and how no-one has made a move to get themselves out of such a position yet (looking at you as an early example of this, SEGA) to allow for themselves to take centre stage - and keep it from Sony - is perplexing to me.

I'm a PS4 player, yes, but I hold no bias here: I want the One X to be successful so that it drives future innovation in the industry, and yet, at this price point - despite what the specs say - I don't see how they can compete with Sony at all. They were already losing, and instead of trying to catch up (they'll likely cut the One S price to make the Xbox family still accessible to a large audience, but an Xbox iteration of the Pro at a lower price point - aggressive pricing similar to the tactic used in many of their older consoles launches - would have made more sense to me in such a case as this) they've instead tried to pave the way to the next big technological leap which isn't required - for us as fans and gamers; for developers; or for themselves - at this stage of the console generation.

Over to you, Sony.

Edited by Julius Caesar

"Hello, I'd like to buy an Xbox One X please"

"Here you go sir" (hands over Xbox One S)

"No, I said Xbox One X"

"This is an Xbox One S, sir"

So, if the Xbox One is abbreviated to XBO, does that mean that the One X is abbreviated to XBOX?

So do we call the original Xbox "XBOX" or "Xbox Original" (XBO for short)?

So, if the Xbox One is abbreviated to XBO, does that mean that the One X is abbreviated to XBOX?

The Xbox One was always Xbone.

Now we have the Xbones and the Xbonex.

• Like 1

"Hello, I'd like to buy an Xbox One X please"

"Here you go sir" (hands over Xbox One S)

"No, I said Xbox One X"

"This is an Xbox One S, sir"

"Oh you meant Xbox, sir!"

"NO, I SAID XBOX ONE X!"

"X-Box One X..."

The Xbox One was always Xbone.

Now we have the Xbones and the Xbonex.

Should have played into XBone with the Xbox One R.

No doubt the marketing team have missed a trick here.

I'm a PS4 player, yes, but I hold no bias here: I want the One X to be successful so that it drives future innovation in the industry, and yet, at this price point - despite what the specs say - I don't see how they can compete with Sony at all. They were already losing, and instead of trying to catch up (they'll likely cut the One S price to make the Xbox family still accessible to a large audience, but an Xbox iteration of the Pro at a lower price point - aggressive pricing similar to the tactic used in many of their older consoles launches - would have made more sense to me in such a case as this) they've instead tried to pave the way to the next big technological leap which isn't required - for us as fans and gamers; for developers; or for themselves - at this stage of the console generation.

Over to you, Sony.

I agree with this. They're really focusing on the wrong thing - it should be software over specs at this point.

There are a lot of decent exclusives already out on the PS4 and in the pipeline and nothing of that calibre out or said to be coming for the One. I'm just way more interest in FFVII, Shenmue, Ni No Kuni, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Dragon Quest XI (the latter of which at the very least isn't coming to the One). I fail to see how they're going to deliver on games enough to make lots of people want to buy this.

I'm liking the customised colours for the controllers though.. Should be a no brainer for the Switch controllers.

I agree with this. They're really focusing on the wrong thing - it should be software over specs at this point.

There are a lot of decent exclusives already out on the PS4 and in the pipeline and nothing of that calibre out or said to be coming for the One. I'm just way more interest in FFVII, Shenmue, Ni No Kuni, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Dragon Quest XI (the latter of which at the very least isn't coming to the One). I fail to see how they're going to deliver on games enough to make lots of people want to buy this.

I think this is the weakest position xbox have ever been in. Maybe explains why they did the whole Minecraft thing. They are a difficult company to work with.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?

I turn off the console. Hours later, I come back home and it has turned itself on, the controller won't connect(even through cord), the console won't send a video signal to the TV. It's happened a few times I've had to hold the power button to force it back off.

Go figure I've actually had similar issues with the PS4 and have had to unplug the power to fix its issues.

Anyways, first time playing anything in months and about to dig into Phantom Dust...because I only play older games and not new ones on this console it seems like. (Also phantom dust artwork is kinda sweet.)

At launch, Forza 7 will be one of the largest games ever.

Turn 10 revealed the Forza 7 minimum and recommended specs earlier this week, which was quite a surprise given that we’re a few months away from release.

But one thing the specs didn’t mention is that you’re going to need a lot of free space on your HDD, which also applies to Xbox One owners.

According to the game’s store page (via MS Power User), you’ll need 100GB of free space at launch.

This makes it the largest Forza title ever at launch, and certainly among the biggest on Xbox One. Today, Gears of War 4 with all the updates is already close to 120GB, and Halo 5 is around 100GB, but again, that’s after months of patches.

This is now getting a bit ridiculous.

Jesus Christ have they decided to just stop compressing shit?! I know 4K textures are large and all, but that is ridiculous for a racing game. At least if it was Horizon that's open world and could have more variety.

So I picked up an Xbox One S and a couple of games yesterday after pondering it for a while and I've not even had it 24 hours and I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered. This has to be one of the most user unfriendly consoles ever. For a start, the main dashboard is a bloody mess, too cluttered and finding access to things is overly complicated. My biggest bug bear is the ridiculous install times for games. Only by disconnecting the console from the internet was I finally able to get Rare Replay installed and start playing something. But even then, it took a good hour to do that. Rather than spending the evening playing Halo Wars 2, I ended up playing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts because that game wouldn't complete its installation without downloading the second half of the game (even disconnecting the console wouldn't let it install).

I now have Halo 5 installed after taking my console offline but as soon as I connected it back up again, a whopping great 51GB update is sitting waiting and I now can't access the game for the single player when I'd at least be able to do that on the PS4.

Tried to install Sunset Overdrive this morning as well but low and behold, it won't even install. It stops at 4%with no reason and this is when its bother connected and disconnected from the net. It won't even download the update for it, as I thought that might help but when it stops the installation from the disc it stops everything. I've hard reset the console, deleted and restarted the installation, nothing is working. Guessing there's an issue with the disc or something but can't find a concrete answer for things online.

It's just frankly ridiculous how long everything takes to install (online or off) and how slow everything is to download. I don't have an amazing internet connection (I usually average around the 20mb/s mark but can stray a go 10+mb/s north of that from time to time) but even with that, I can usually download a 3GB patch quicker on my PS4 than I apparently can on this thing. It's seriously making me regret purchasing the thing as, even though I have now finally got Halo Wars 2 installed, I have to head to work and when I get back home, there'll be another big patch for it with one being released later today. I'll be lucky if I can actually sit down and play one of the games I bought the console for before the weekend hits. So yeah, not sure how long this'll sit under my TV before I sell it on with how things work on it.

Unfortunately those are a lot of the complaints I have about my Xbox One S as well.

On the one hand I'm glad its not my primary console so I dont experience them all that often but on the other it means that all these console and game updates pile up so when I do turn it back on I cant use it for hours.

It seems the consumer is being thought of last when it comes to stuff like this; how is it acceptable to have such large updates clogging up your home internet connection and, more importantly, stopping you from enjoying a new game! 

The day one update thing is utter nonsense, made me laugh when Titanfall 2 came out and they made a big hoo hah about it being 80mb. I just want to put my disk in the machine and play my game, simple!

Finally got things installed and updated fully over the weekend. It would seem that the updates for some of the games are a literal re-download of the game from the store (on top of what you already have installed) with the patch/update tacked on. Sussed this out when I had the update for Halo Wars 2 downloading and it was telling me it was ready to start after installing half of the update. Likewise, when trying to figure out why Sunset Overdrive wouldn't install off the disc, when I reconnected to the net it started downloading an update which turned out to be the full game so I didn't need to install from the disc at all. Really not a consumer friendly way of doing updates for some games as it doubles the space the game takes up on the harddrive instantly if there's a patch. Not liking that form of updating to games as why then do you need to bother installing from the disc in the first place or why do you need to redownload the game with the patch tacked on? It just doesn't make sense to me. Obviously, not all games seem to work like that. Quantum Break had an update I needed to install but it was only 5GB, which seems more reasonable size wise.

Anyway, I've had a chance to play a few things so at least I'm able to use it as intended. Been playing a bit of Halo 5 Guardians and have to say that it's a pretty weak campaign experience. It just feels like loads of vignettes loosely taped together with some narrative that's not exactly engaging. I wasn't expecting The Witcher 3 level of writing here but it's just pretty poor so far and I'm about half way through (though one of the missions was literally walking around on Meridian and finding clues ::shrug: It's not grabbing me and I'm finding it all a bit boring. And there's something that seems off about the gun handling. The shotgun in particular seemed to lack any sort of weight and feedback seems pretty poor when shots are fired. I'm not holding out hope that it'll improve in the latter half so the quicker it's over, the quicker I can give my attention to something else.

Have enjoyed the little bits of both Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break that I've played so far. Though with the latter, do they really need to toy with me and tease Alan Wake like that. 10 minutes in and I was watching a TV screen in game only for it to turn out to be Alan Wake with the words "Return" appearing and then I remembered reading about it being in the game and Remedy coming out and saying it was just an easter egg or something. Not impressed when I already want another Alan Wake game. Still, looking forward to delving more into the game as I'm enjoying the time based mechanics for shooting, though I do think without those the game would be a pretty bog-standard shooter.

Also downloaded Ori and the Blind Forest as well as ReCore. Enjoying both so far. I know with the latter the reviews weren't great but I guess with me coming to it after months of patches I'm seeing the better side of the game. For a mid price title, it's not that bad and I've enjoyed the little I've played so far. That may change but it's a solid enough effort at that price range and I've definitely paid more to play worse.

Just now to wait and see if Sea of Thieves is worth it. Interested to see how it plays mechanically and with the online, particularly whether you can go it alone and just ride the high seas as a pirate for hire or not.

• Like 1

Halo 5 all around felt pretty poor. I never even finished it. Which is par for most my Xbone games. 

Recore is definitely a solid and fun game though, and Sunset Overdrive probably has most of my actual playtime.