N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

But PSN games are PS3 games. Why would they be any different? It's not like the console can't read BluRays, the issue is intrinsic to how the games are built.

The backward compatibility thing is weird. It can't really be helped and everyone knew it was coming. I'll be keeping my PS3 for a while as I transition to the PS4 anyway. I'm not even bothered the next Xbox won't be backward compatible. I never use backward compatibility on the Wii either.

Oh my god this is awful. People moaned about wii u in this regard but at least they have solutions. This is shockingly shit!! And THEY HAVE ACCOUNTS!!!! Are all the PSN games not going to be on the store than? of course they will, so they should move over! This has to be bull!!

Also, event was extremely sexist because no women were on the stage. Check your privilege levels, Sony.

Turns out some games journalists are actually using this as a 'valid' complaint about the event! You damn right I'm mad as fuck.

No one gives a shit what the gender of the person was when they showed us video games or explained to us the console during that event. To expect that some women or two should have been thrown in so it's not sexist is ironically sexist. All the people who went up on stage to demonstrate some video games were the project leaders from certain studios. The attitude from these people complaining suggests that this shouldn't have happened and instead, we should have treated women essentially as tokens to maintain equality. Bullshit.

I'd be pretty pissed if I was apart of the genuine feminist movement, as this is completely counter progressive to the cause.

Finishing the rant with a comment I saw. I can't find it any more thanks to a sea of comments, but it basically went like this:

The absence of females from the event in favour of an all-male cast just goes to show video games are not expanding, but is something for neckbeards and manchildren

I really hope whoever said that was a troll, because fighting non-existent sexism with sexist remarks is fabulous on so many fucking levels.

Edited by Debug Mode

I really didn't see PSN stuff not carrying forward, it's all based on the Cell so they can't keep supporting it with the PS4.

A lot of people are going to be burned this generation with all the DLC and digital games bought over the last however many years.

I can see it happening with Microsoft too. If you thought Nintendo charging a tiny amount to upgrade Virtual Console titles to support Wii U had a backlash...

No BC because the CPUs have totally different architecture. BC has never bothered me really, can't say I've evef made use of it to make it worthwhile to be honest.

If it meant the Wii U would have gave an easier time to developers if its CPU were x86 based, I'd easily wave goodbye to Wii BC.

Developers react positively to PS4 specs: “Fun times coming” – Crytek

Sony revealed the PS4 recently and also its specifications at an event in New York.

There are a lot of people who were shocked when Mark Cerny announced that the console has 8GB GDDR5 RAM, and now we have reactions from different developers who are extremely pleased with the specs.

The RAM seems to be a terrific decision from Sony, as people were mostly expecting 4GB GDDR5.

john-carmack.jpg

randy-pitchford-praise-ps4-specs.jpg

stefan-boberg.png

crytek.png

Self-publishing for indie devs and big devs happy with specs bodes well.

Confirmation that PSN games are not transferable to PS4 at all, not even playable via Gaikai!

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/sony-psn-games-wont-transfer-to-ps4/

Ha Ha! I totally called it. So much for Nintendo having the worst policy regarding DD game ownership :laughing: At least with them you actually own your games for good and can transfer them onward!

Edited by Dcubed

Turns out some games journalists are actually using this as a 'valid' complaint about the event! You damn right I'm mad as fuck.

No one gives a shit what the gender of the person was when they showed us video games or explained to us the console during that event. To expect that some women or two should have been thrown in so it's not sexist is ironically sexist. All the people who went up on stage to demonstrate some video games were the project leaders from certain studios. The attitude from these people complaining suggests that this shouldn't have happened and instead, we should have treated women essentially as tokens to maintain equality. Bullshit.

I'd be pretty pissed if I was apart of the genuine feminist movement, as this is completely counter progressive to the cause.

Finishing the rant with a comment I saw. I can't find it any more thanks to a sea of comments, but it basically went like this:

I really hope whoever said that was a troll, because fighting non-existent sexism with sexist remarks is fabulous on so many fucking levels.

Haha, well welcome to the bullshit "feminism" of today. Not saying there aren't valid gender issues out there, but it's all getting diluted and mixed up with such things as you just described. Equality = token women must be included in video game presentations. Well how about only men being drafted to military service, how about women representing their gender there too? Oh nevermind, suddenly a little unequality is just fine...

Still, I think including both men and women in any type of show / representation does have its merits, as it brings diversity and can better cater to both genders watching. But saying it's sexist to not have one gender present? Ha, well in that case all the Nintendo Directs have been downright vicious, only Asian men spouting their horribly racist and sexist agenda at the world like there's no tomorrow. I bet they're heterosexuals too, THOSE BASTARDS! : D

As much as it's a shame, you seem to be making a massive jump by claiming they wont be streamed through Gaikai considering that wasn't even mentioned in the article, Dcubed. It just says they wont transfer to PS4, which makes sense, as it would all have to be emulated because just by being a digital download game doesn't mean it's not relying on the architecture of the PS3 thus wont work straight away with PS4.

Weren't the complains about emulated Virtual Console games, not WiiWare.

If I recall correctly, people were compaining about having to pay a tiny fee to upgrade their Wii VC games if they wanted off-screen play/miiverse integration, something that would cost developement time. The fact that is totally optional and they still have their VC games they can play in Wii mode makes me grumble at how entitled some gamers are.

Digital Foundry - Spec Analysis: PlayStation 4

The official specs are in for the PlayStation 4 and what we have is, by and large, confirmation of existing DigitalFoundry stories - with one outstanding, exciting exception. At the PlayStation Meeting yesterday, Sony revealed that its new console ships with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, not the 4GB we previously reported. It was a pleasant surprise not just for us, but also for many game developers out there working on PS4 titles now and completely unaware of the upgrade - a final flourish to the design seemingly added in at the last moment to make PlayStation 4 the most technologically advanced games console of the next gaming era.

From a raw specs point of view, the RAM upgrade was the biggest - and only - major surprise of the evening, though some elements have come to light which change our thinking on other elements of the PS4 design. We have confirmation of the eight-core Jaguar CPU architecture from AMD (x86 in nature, with 64-bit addressing - Sony calls it "x86-64") while we also see the 1.84 teraflop/18 compute unit metrics there in black and white for the Radeon GPU element of the PS4's "Liverpool" processor.

These two figures in combination also confirm that the graphics hardware runs at 800MHz, as we previously revealed. The mooted 176GB/s bandwidth for the GDDR5 RAM is also now official, suggesting a speed there of 5.5GHz effective - in line with most current Radeon graphics cards. Previous information had suggested that Sony would be splitting GPU resources between rendering and compute functions (VGLeaks suggesting a 14/4 compute unit split between them in its SDK document leak) but the official spec talks of a unified 18 CUs, which "can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two". The divide appears to be gone, and devs can apply available power as they see fit.

The Blu-ray reader gets a decent enough upgrade from PS3's 2x drive, moving up to a 6x CAV (constant angular velocity) design, meaning maximum read speeds of around 27MB/s - though throughput will lower according to the area of the disc being read. The spec appears to be a very close match for the standard BD drives Sony itself currently produces, lending further evidence to the notion that we're looking at a cost-effective 50GB dual-layer unit rather than the more exotic 100GB quad-layer drives said to be coming in the future to accommodate 4K video playback.

On a basic level, the challenge here for developers will be to read data quickly enough from the optical drive in order to make use of that prodigious 8GB of RAM - we can foresee background installs as part of the picture here, loading up enough gameplay into memory to get going while more data is streamed onto HDD in the background. On PS3, we already see a number of titles that 'stealth install' onto the hard drive (many of them running on Unreal Engine 3, and Capcom's Dragon's Dogma being another) where read speeds are so much higher - even slower 2.5-inch drives can reach 100MB/s in their best case scenarios. Our hope is that the era of mandatory installs that keep you from getting at the game are a thing of the past. The signs look good: making the experience of using the console as friction-free as possible was a key part of Sony's presentation last night.

However, what really impressed us was the imagination behind the technology. Remote play is just one element of the functionality on offer, with Sony utilising the video encoding hardware to offer up a range of benefits. We saw one of them in action last night with the Guerrilla Games' Killzone Shadow Fall demo uploading stored gameplay video directly onto Facebook. Also impressive was the mooted support for livestreaming via existing providers, along with the ability to introduce spectating with viewer comments appearing on-screen as you play. Elements of cloud functionality were also suggested, allowing for remote players to take over your game should you come across a particularly difficult section of the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-playstation-4

I'm excited.

Capcom fancy a word regarding Resident Evil Revelations ;)

Seriously though surely it doesn't matter how powerful a console is anymore, more what they can do. I was much more interested in what the console could do (share, spectating etc) than how much grunt it has under the hood, considering judging by the admittedly early demos and gameplay, the leap isn't as big as it used to be.

Still I thought it was a fairly good showing in terms of what the console can do, though having watched it again I stand by my Killzone thoughts, looked generic and some of the physics looked naff.

If games can be put on any console why not put them on the best one that limits the developer the least? Ni No Kuni for instance would have been the same game on the Wii but maybe an eighth as beautiful.

Also your post is quite contradictory - if a console isn't as powerful as its two competitors then it can't 'do' what they do. Which if you look at the Wii, meant it couldn't 'do' most of the multi-format titles the PS3 and 360 did.

Anyone who complained about Wii>WiiU Digital Content situation, needs to complain abut PSN content too as its a very similar situation different console or conversely people need to accept digital content on console won't be the same as mobile digital content and will be specific to the console, anything else is a bonus

having thought more about it, its mainly the DLC on ps3 games i'm concerned over, if they sort that then i have less of an issue

and i could just keep my ps3

It is a pain, but hopefully the workaround won't take too long to implement. The only positive to draw from this is that, now with PC architecture, this won't happen next generation. Then again, there might not even be consoles next generation.

If games can be put on any console why not put them on the best one that limits the developer the least? Ni No Kuni for instance would have been the same game on the Wii but maybe an eighth as beautiful.

Also your post is quite contradictory - if a console isn't as powerful as its two competitors then it can't 'do' what they do. Which if you look at the Wii, meant it couldn't 'do' most of the multi-format titles the PS3 and 360 did.

Sorry, I meant 'do' as in what features they have specific to the console experience (I guess until we hear what xbox 720 has going on) but like the spectate features, sharing videos etc, which are specific for the ps4, but not a gaming necessity, so feasibly you could 'port' Killzone, but it wouldn't have those features, likewise PS4 wouldn't have Miiverse intergration.

I was mainly an Xbox 360 man last gen, although had a Wii at the start and end of the life cycles, so can't comment too much on what was or wasn't available, but it seemed to me it was more a case of tailoring the controls to Wii rather than anything else. Obviously it was no where near as powerful as Xbox 360 or PS3, but something like Goldeneye 007 for example showed it could 'do' the same games. And you could argue that the xbox 360 and PS3 couldn't do what Wii could with motion control gaming (until the created their own add on's :) ).

Anyway I guess it comes down to personal preference, I prefer to see what features a console can give me, rather than how powerful it is. After all I still enjoy Virtual Console games and loved Spelunky on XBLA!

Features are nice but at the end of the day games are the most important things. They're games consoles after all. And if one console can't push the same level of power it's no surprise that it won't see most multi-format titles.

Also I thought Durango specs circulating put it way up there too, least high above the WiiU like the PS4.

As much as it's a shame, you seem to be making a massive jump by claiming they wont be streamed through Gaikai considering that wasn't even mentioned in the article, Dcubed. It just says they wont transfer to PS4, which makes sense, as it would all have to be emulated because just by being a digital download game doesn't mean it's not relying on the architecture of the PS3 thus wont work straight away with PS4.

They already mentioned that they'll have a Gaikai streaming solution for retail games. The fact that you can't transfer PSN games over means that they won't be included in the streaming service however.

This is a nightmare scenario really :( It means that we now have to rely on hackers finally breaking the PS3 encryption open if we want to see these games properly archived. If they can't manage it before the PS3 PSN service is shut down, a lot of the games and content on the PSN service may be lost to time forever; just like what happened to the original Xbox :(

IT'S OVER, NINTENDO IS FINISHED, THE KING IS BACK

17088_10152574965815720_451342263_n.jpg

Sony would be fools to not have Chaddy at E3

Link and his bitch ass sword going hyahh, hyahh. Xbox...360? We're not doing geometry. Halo? More like GAY-LO.

Ah, Chad Warden. Where has that fine chap been...

They already mentioned that they'll have a Gaikai streaming solution for retail games. The fact that you can't transfer PSN games over means that they won't be included in the streaming service however.

This is a nightmare scenario really :( It means that we now have to rely on hackers finally breaking the PS3 encryption open if we want to see these games properly archived. If they can't manage it before the PS3 PSN service is shut down, a lot of the games and content on the PSN service may be lost to time forever; just like what happened to the original Xbox :(

I'll be sharing the same fear if it really does become apparent that none of it will be streamed. Plus, with the new console incoming, Sony will probably give up chasing the hackers, so there's still hope.

Link and his bitch ass sword going hyahh, hyahh. Xbox...360? We're not doing geometry. Halo? More like GAY-LO.

Ah, Chad Warden. Where has that fine chap been...

There was some video of him eating sushi, but the community is still pumping out some Chad material.