Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Sounds like a juicy steak of gaming there.

I respect how Playstation has dominated, as going by what I saw in store, they are the forerunners for making gaming relevant and respectable.

I know I'll get a PS4 at some point if just for FF7 - but even with the current games available its worth it - Those small games like Moto GP 2015 (fan of it) that you can only dream of reaching a Nintendo console is already available!

Do you use the Blu Ray player much? What are the main improvements over DVD and streaming?

I use the blu ray player/DVD player a lot (it can read both). Blu Ray is just prettier really, even if they take longer to load. You can download Netflix, Amazon, Now.TV, BBC iplayer and a host of other streaming apps.

I also managed to pick up Moto GP '14 for under a tenner at one point. Haven't played it much as I'm rubbish at it.

Sounds like a juicy steak of gaming there.

I respect how Playstation has dominated, as going by what I saw in store, they are the forerunners for making gaming relevant and respectable.

I know I'll get a PS4 at some point if just for FF7 - but even with the current games available its worth it - Those small games like Moto GP 2015 (fan of it) that you can only dream of reaching a Nintendo console is already available!

Do you use the Blu Ray player much? What are the main improvements over DVD and streaming?

I don't know anything at all about games like Moto GP and F1, which...in a way, is kinda nice. It does feel like there's a whole other world of stuff out there on the system that I could explore if I wanted to. That element of choice.

The problem in the past that I've had with Nintendo systems is that it feels like a blessing when certain games are even talked about coming to the system. Games like you just mentioned. Whereas on the other systems, it's a guarantee. I want to just be able to play as many different games as possible without having to do the whole drama thing of, "wouldn't it be nice if such and such came out for this console?" Particularly the bigger games. Things like Star Wars Battlefront and The Witcher are never going to be on Nintendo systems and they're important to me.

I use the blu-ray player a lot to view dvds and blu-rays. Not sure if you're aware, but you can play 3D blu-rays on this, too. I stream using Netflix (and sometimes NowTV) quite regularly - pretty much every night. I'm not very techy at all, so I can't give you the full run-down of why blu-rays are better than dvds and where streaming fits in all of that. But, I watch films pretty regularly (we also use lovefilm or whatever it's called now and rent blu-rays on that) and the quality of picture and sound has always been great. Never had any complaints.

I don't know anything at all about games like Moto GP and F1, which...in a way, is kinda nice. It does feel like there's a whole other world of stuff out there on the system that I could explore if I wanted to. That element of choice.

The problem in the past that I've had with Nintendo systems is that it feels like a blessing when certain games are even talked about coming to the system. Games like you just mentioned. Whereas on the other systems, it's a guarantee. I want to just be able to play as many different games as possible without having to do the whole drama thing of, "wouldn't it be nice if such and such came out for this console?" Particularly the bigger games. Things like Star Wars Battlefront and The Witcher are never going to be on Nintendo systems and they're important to me.

I use the blu-ray player a lot to view dvds and blu-rays. Not sure if you're aware, but you can play 3D blu-rays on this, too. I stream using Netflix (and sometimes NowTV) quite regularly - pretty much every night. I'm not very techy at all, so I can't give you the full run-down of why blu-rays are better than dvds and where streaming fits in all of that. But, I watch films pretty regularly (we also use lovefilm or whatever it's called now and rent blu-rays on that) and the quality of picture and sound has always been great. Never had any complaints.

I feel like Im 'thanking' too much - But I my eyes are now fully opening to the Ps4.

It really is an emotional struggle with recent Nintendo systems, to yearn for games so badly to no avail.

: peace:

I feel like Im 'thanking' too much - But I my eyes are now fully opening to the Ps4.

It really is an emotional struggle with recent Nintendo systems, to yearn for games so badly to no avail.

: peace:

The PS4 (and XboxOne) are only going to get cheaper as time goes by and there's good games coming out for both. We're still early into this generation, so it'll be nice to see what sort of breakthroughs are made and which games really push the system to its limits.

If you're interested in it, keep a look out for a deal. I use HotUkDeals sometimes and they regularly post offers or bundles there. You could probably get a system under £300 with a game. I jumped in at £299 last April/May and haven't looked back since.

Yep, there are more big games too. I think the sustained quantity and variety of games makes a big difference. Region free games is a big deal too. You have access to USA PSN and JP or HK PSN. Cdkeys sell USA PSN stuff.

Blu Ray gives you the best quality video right now (4k TV services not counting and a new 4K blu ray is coming). For extras Blu rays have the best stuff including DVD and digital copies. You might also like the media player coupled with Universal media server? stream your video files from PC/MAC.

Deals wise there should be good stuff as always. Doubt there will be a major price cut since its still selling fast. But who really knows?

Can anyone recommend me any over-ear headphones, for doing a podcast, but also for the PS4 when I get one. What do people use for that solo experience? Obviously looking for as good sound and durability for as little £ as possible really. Cheers.

The vast majority of people here (myself included) use the official Sony 2.0 headset, which you can buy for just over £60 off Amazon. For the price they can't be beaten - great sound, and supported by the official app too (lets you download sound profiles).

The vast majority of people here (myself included) use the official Sony 2.0 headset, which you can buy for just over £60 off Amazon. For the price they can't be beaten - great sound, and supported by the official app too (lets you download sound profiles).
And they work fine with a laptop and whatever else etc...?

Chiming in to confirm those headphones are awesome. And they can be used wired too. The only thing I dislike about them, is really a fault of the PS4, you have to take up one of the two only USB slots on the front of the device.

Playing Destiny PvP with them is so great, the surround sound effect works perfectly, you hear a Super or a grenade go off and you know the direction even if they're out of radar range.

Some games have downloadable equalisation profiles, and it has controls on it to adjust chat volume vs game volume.

@Fierce_LiNk, two questions. Why don't you play Destiny with us? And why do you hate us?

Haha. :D

Basically, I have the game. I've had it since launch. I got it and the Fifa. The problem is that I plunged a lot of time into Fifa, doing pro clubs with people on here. When I tried playing more Destiny, another thing popped up. First it was Bloodborne, then The Witcher.

I was shit during the Wii's lifespan. I bought loads of games, but didn't play half of them. Half of my collection features games that I've never touched. I promised myself that I'd buy PS4 games but really, really play them this time. Hence why I plunged so much time into Bloodborne, The Witcher, Fifa, etc.

Every time I thought about playing Destiny, either another game came up or I'd feel overwhelmed as everyone else is reaaaaally into it, whereas I'm only level...19, I think. Also, I worried about it being expensive because of the dlc.

Not sure what to do about it. It seems really addictive and I enjoyed what I played. But, part of me wonders if I've missed the boat and if I'm too behind now.

Not sure what to do about it. It seems really addictive and I enjoyed what I played. But, part of me wonders if I've missed the boat and if I'm too behind now.

Join us for The Taken King. Everyone who gets it gets an XP boost to the base level for all the new DLC. You'll be golden. (Also, I need to level a new character, so I can help you out, too.)

Also, the boat we got on was a mess - like a cruise with the norovirus. It's been fixed now, you're getting on at the best time.

HashtagOneOfUsOneOfUs

Join us for The Taken King. Everyone who gets it gets an XP boost to the base level for all the new DLC. You'll be golden. (Also, I need to level a new character, so I can help you out, too.)

Also, the boat we got on was a mess - like a cruise with the norovirus. It's been fixed now, you're getting on at the best time.

HashtagOneOfUsOneOfUs

Don't...tempt me, Frodo.

Ah, but then I've gotta get all the dlc, which is...like, a million quid now, isn't it?

I would be lying if I said I haven't been tempted a few times to jump aboard. But then Star Wars Battlefront is out soon and that'll be new and exciting, too.

Don't...tempt me, Frodo.

Ah, but then I've gotta get all the dlc, which is...like, a million quid now, isn't it?

I would be lying if I said I haven't been tempted a few times to jump aboard. But then Star Wars Battlefront is out soon and that'll be new and exciting, too.

Destiny is such a great social experience. Nothing better for playing with friends on this site, it's just something worth getting into. It really wouldn't take you long to get max level either, not long at all.

Don't...tempt me, Frodo.

Or you can trade your destiny disc in for Destiny Taken King disc which got all Year 1 DLCs + Taken King for around £40+ quids depends on which stores you will use. ;)

When are you going to jump aboard the PS4 train?
Hopefully it won't be too long. Got a few crazy weeks money wise trying to get to some motorsport events. Once everything settles down again and I know where I stand money wise, then we'll see.

Almost bought Tomb Raider today for £12 :p But I figure there will be other similar deals on it in the future.

Don't...tempt me, Frodo.

The Taken King is only about £42 on Amazon. It includes EVERYTHING that has been released so far. So that is last year's game and the two DLCs (The Dark Below and The House of Wolves) that were in the Season Pass AND The Taken King expansion.

Seriously worth it if you haven't partaken, I reckon.