NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I'll be trying out evolve tomorrow, that's had mixed reviews... Anyone here got it?

Yeah I've got it. Takes a bit to get into and can be somewhat repetitive, but still fun. It's definitely more of a short bursts game for me.

That's the current guess. Sean said it was this year but they're not announcing a date until they know for sure.

I'm petrified that No Man's Sky is going to suck or be terrible or shallow of something.

I'd sell all of my kidneys (ALL OF THEM) if it could mean that the game turns out good. Please be good.

I must be the only person in the world that feels nothing for No Mans Sky. I just don't get it. It probably doesn't help that I dislike open ended games and prefer a much more focused and structured approach to my games.

In other news, I was listening to the latest Kinda Funny Games podcast this morning. For those who don't know, it's one of the many things done started by Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty after they quit the Beyond podcast ( which I loved ) and IGN in general.

This week they were talking about marketing and games trailers and Colin was saying just how good of a job Sony have done with the PS4 in terms of marketing. Yes, he mentioned that Microsoft dropped the ball big style with the One but he was saying how Sony really got their act together this generation, especially when you compare how they started with the PS3. He also made the valid point that they are willing to push 3rd party games on their console, with many trailers and adverts being focused on them, rather than on their own games.

With over 20 million consoles sold, after just 14 months, its clear that their marketing, great selection of games and focused message to their customers it's been an amazing success story for them.

I must be the only person in the world that feels nothing for No Mans Sky. I just don't get it. It probably doesn't help that I dislike open ended games and prefer a much more focused and structured approach to my games.

I wouldn't say I feel nothing but I certainly don't share the optimism for it. It has an amazing mechanic behind it but since we know next to nothing else about it, it just isn't interesting me yet. The novelty of flying down to any world would wear off fairly quick if you didn't have anything else to do.

I think we know a bit about it now. Specifically you have to get to the centre, you have to upgrade your ship to do so and you have to fight enemies that will otherwise kill you. You can mine resources and upgrade your weapons along the way. That the goal is to get to the centre means it has an objective that should hopefully satisfy those who hate truly open world, unending games.

Really though, whether this lasts 40 hours or 5 hours is not important - it's a new (and rather exciting looking) experience, something different to the many sequels and similar types of games that are continuously being pumped out these days. I personally cannot wait.

Edited by Sheikah

That the goal is to get to the centre means it has an objective that should hopefully satisfy those who hate truly open world, unending games.

It'll be a planet in the shape of Peter Molyneux's head

Well dying light is meh, and evolve is pants. Not a massive fan of either of them! DBZ is great though!

Hm. Quite interested in Helldivers.

Looks intense and hilarious :laughing:

Eurogamer Review

Think I'll buy this today and give it a go later tonight. : peace:

Anyone want to buy evolve before I CEX it? £31 delivered to cover postage.

Anyone want to buy evolve before I CEX it? £31 delivered to cover postage.

You may wanna be quick to trade that in as its already started to tumble in price. GAME are now selling it for £29.99.

it's a new (and rather exciting looking) experience, something different to the many sequels and similar types of games that are continuously being pumped out these days. I personally cannot wait.

Glad you finally noticed.

I've always noticed that? Many games these days are sequels, offering similar content. Nintendo are the biggest offenders on that front. Thankfully there's a good number of games coming that are looking new and exciting soon though!

Nice to see you here picking up on such a point many days after it was made, though! Not pushing your agenda here by any chance? Btw this isn't the Nintendo forums, so feel free to speak your mind. :heh:

Glad you finally noticed.

He's right, though. It was actually a big reason why I opted to go for a PS4 after being thoroughly bored by the WiiU. I've already played Mario Kart, Smash Bros, dozens of Marios and Zeldas. The biggest game that I wanted to play was Alien Isolation and that wasn't on the WiiU, which is new and different to everything else on the WiiU.

I've always noticed that? Many games these days are sequels, offering similar content. Nintendo are the biggest offenders on that front. Thankfully there's a good number of games coming that are looking new and exciting soon though!

Nice to see you here picking up on such a point many days after it was made, though! Not pushing your agenda here by any chance? Btw this isn't the Nintendo forums, so feel free to speak your mind. :heh:

The "similar types of games that are continuously being pumped out these days" comment made me laugh. You're right of course, just surprised to hear you of all people say it. No Man's Sky will give the PS4 some much needed variety, even if it took yet another indie dev to manage it.

The PS4 doesn't need any help, people are very happy with it and it's selling through the roof. There's a tonne of diverse games coming to it, in stark contrast to the Wii U. If anything the Wii U could have really done with it.

@Ronnie have you brought this into the PS4 thread now because everyone is bored senseless of it in the Nintendo board?

When I pick up a PS4 I'm doing it for:

Lego Marvel, Infamous, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Drive Club, Tearaway Unfolded, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, Uncharted 4

Flower, Rime, Broken Age, Velocity 2x, ABZU

That looks an incredibly diverse selection to me, no?

That looks an incredibly diverse selection to me, no?

But they are all shooters and there are no colors in those games.

I mean just look at them...

Flower

flower-game-screenshot-2.jpg

Lego Marvel

legoasgard2.jpg

Driveclub

driveclub_24.jpg

inFAMOUS Second Son

infamous-second-son-screenshot.jpg

Yeah, you get the point :laughing:

One only needs to look at PS4 releases in the last 30 days to see:

- Survival horror

- Fighting

- FPS

- Action

- RPG

- Sport

Yes there may be more of a particular one, but that's quite a variety of genres within 30 days and your argument seems to be that there isn't a variety (and I even excluded the indie game that's got a disc release).

Looking at the wiki page I've pulled off some stats. This could do with being done more thoroughly at a different time, but to give a sense below are stats of any games released in Europe since launch. I took the genres listed and grouped them (so we could do with doing this with a proper agreed grouping) and this is the outcome:

Genre - number - percentage of total releases

Action - 28 - 14.51%

Action-adventure - 28 - 14.51%

Adventure - 14 - 7.25%

Arcade - 2 - 1.04%

Board game - 3 - 1.55%

Fighting - 7 - 3.63%

First-person shooter - 11 - 5.70%

Horror - 2 - 1.04%

Music - 5 - 2.59%

Platform - 15 - 7.77%

Puzzle - 17 - 8.81%