NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

My friend's PS4 just keep crashing. He's having to send it into Sony.

Had a go on it last night, seems cool though I hate the controller. It's so uncomfortable. Will definitely get one when it has a stronger game lineup :)

Edited by Serebii

My friend's PS4 just keep crashing. He's having to send it into Sony.

Had a go on it last night, seems cool though I hate the controller. It's so uncomfortable. Will definitely get one when it has a stronger game lineup :)

Surely you can't hate it more than the DS3! Personally I think it's a huge improvement (the improvements to the D-pad and sticks alone are massive - and it's all thanks to Nintendo's D-pad patent expiring :) )

I'd say it's better than the 360 and Xbone controllers too...

Its certainly one of the most comfortable controllers I have ever used. I wouldnt credit Nintendo's D-pd patent expiring for the DS4's one though, its still the same design as the DS3 with the 4 segments. Its the Xbox One's controller that benefited from that.

Its certainly one of the most comfortable controllers I have ever used. I wouldnt credit Nintendo's D-pd patent expiring for the DS4's one though, its still the same design as the DS3 with the 4 segments. Its the Xbox One's controller that benefited from that.

The internals are modelled after Nintendo's D-pad now. Before they were separated by plastic, but now they're all one piece. The separation on the surface is merely cosmetic - underneath it's actually modelled just like a Nintendo pad.

Vita was the first one to use the Nintendo style D-pad and it really shows!

Xbone obviously uses that same style D-pad too and it makes a world of difference there too - it's by far the biggest improvement they made to that controller from its predecessor (shame that they had to muck up the LR bumpers though and make the analog sticks smaller, cause all the other changes were for the better :( )

The internals are modelled after Nintendo's D-pad now. Before they were separated by plastic, but now they're all one piece. The separation on the surface is merely cosmetic - underneath it's actually modelled just like a Nintendo pad.

Vita was the first one to use the Nintendo style D-pad and it really shows!

Xbone obviously uses that same style D-pad too and it makes a world of difference there too - it's by far the biggest improvement they made to that controller from its predecessor (shame that they had to muck up the LR bumpers though and make the analog sticks smaller, cause all the other changes were for the better :( )

Ah cool, I didnt know that.

Surely you can't hate it more than the DS3! Personally I think it's a huge improvement (the improvements to the D-pad and sticks alone are massive - and it's all thanks to Nintendo's D-pad patent expiring :) )

I'd say it's better than the 360 and Xbone controllers too...

It's the stick positioning. Ergonomically the controller is sound, and as you said, the D-Pad is cool, though the touchpad is a bit too big and wasn't recognising my movements enough. But the sticks...they're too low and they're too far away from the sides. My thumbs were getting strained using them.

I did like how the pointless light (for most games) changed colour to show your health on Killzone, though. That's a nice, but ultimately pointless as you can't see it, touch.

Edited by Serebii

I think the touchpad is surprisingly compact and thankfully dead on responsive (you can test out how responsive it is in Playroom Pong). Using it for the OWL in KZ is great.

I also noticed that while you can't directly see the light you can see it bounce off your fingers as they rest on the triggers. It's kind of cool seeing your fingers turn from a healthy shade if green to a blood red (the irony that that's the opposite in real life isn't lost on me).

I think voice controls are hilarious. Useful for taking screenshots and powering down, and the camera's facial recognition log in is pretty rad. All unnecessary but fun to play with.

It will be interesting to see how it feels in the long term. I found the GamePad comfortable at first but now if I use it for more than thirty minutes I feel uncomfortable.

I love the colour changing light. Colours are awesome. That's why I want the colour wheel tattooed on me :p

Plus if you're playing in the dark it would be a lot more obviously what colour is glowing.

I like the pad and the sticks are so much better than the DS3. I dont know how people used those!!

Not sure on whether to get KZ. It looks so nice but man it sounds pretty boring.

The headset included has to be the cheapest thing I have ever seen. Must of cost about 2p to make.

Edited by liger05

I don't get why people think KZ is boring. The OWL and the open world/level aspect is awesome.

Loving killzone as well, its great fun. And the OWL is a joy to play with. Love the controller changes colour from green (healthy) yellow (nearly dead) red (dead) nice little touch.

I think I'm going to have to get in on this Killzone action later tonight, does it take long to install both the game and the patch? (I'm only on a 2MB/s connection) :/

Not sure, but I played killzone single player before the patch downloaded and the game seemed to run fine.

Eurogamer: Digital Foundry vs. Vita Remote Play

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-vita-remote-play

PlayStation Vita Remote Play: the Digital Foundry verdict

It was perhaps a bit much to hope that Vita Remote Play could match up to the Wii U GamePad, or even Nvidia Shield's performance. Nintendo built its system around its controller - ultra low latency was built into the design, while Vita Remote Play simply doesn't have that priority for Sony. With regards Shield, as details come to light on the Kepler GPU's onboard video encode architecture, we see a design built from the ground-up for low-latency image acquisition, along with high-speed hardware h.264 encoding - a system that has attracted plenty of praise from luminaries in the real-time capture field (Unwinder is the man behind MSI Afterburner). This is technology derived from GeForce GRID, Nvidia's cloud gaming system - so just like the Wii U GamePad, it's built for precisely this task.

However, whether we're talking about image quality, latency, frame-rate - or the simple fact that 1080p gaming doesn't always translate well to a five-inch screen - we couldn't help but feel that we were getting a less than ideal experience, and that nothing compares to just picking up the Dual Shock 4 and playing PS4 games in the conventional way. Perhaps - like the mooted Nvidia Shield enhancements - we'll see significant improvements to the functionality over time. However, in the here and now, Vita Remote Play is a cute function that's useful for some games but not for others - and right now we definitely see it as a cool value-added extra rather than the saviour of Sony's brilliant - but beleaguered - handheld.

Remote play works just fine for me. The range of it is excellent, my Wii U only works in two rooms in the house but the Vita via remote play works in every room plus the back garden. No noticeable lag either.

Remote play works just fine for me. The range of it is excellent, my Wii U only works in two rooms in the house but the Vita via remote play works in every room plus the back garden. No noticeable lag either.

I never use the wii off tv play but I think its the 60fps which effects the range.

Been downloading nba 2k for over 24 hours with the digital upgrade, times are painfully slow and the game is a whopping 45g

Been downloading nba 2k for over 24 hours with the digital upgrade, times are painfully slow and the game is a whopping 45g

24 hours, that's ridiculous.

So 2 days into the PS4 and after giving it a thorough testing here is my verdict.

I love the UI it's very quick, can multitask and is easy to use. Not much more you could ask for really. They need a games folder installed soon though or will get a bit cluttered if you have loads of games. Also a youtube app is sorely missing but the browser is pretty darn good too.

The PSN network also appears appears to have had a turbo boost with downloads having a significant increase in speed.

On to the games - Resogun is a thing of beauty and a surprisingly deep shooter I love it.

Killzone - Graphically stunning, single player is good not great. Multiplayer is good solid fun but shallows compared to the next game.

Battlefield 4 - Only played a small portion of the single player and graphically again is very good with a very run of the mill story. However the multiplayer (and lets face it, that's what Battlefield is known for) is incredible. 64 player Conquest mode is just so much fun and makes for some tense and dynamic gameplay.

I would talk about Need for Speed Rivals - but still no sign of it in the post (not happy). So views and opinions would be appreciated (will give you all time to get some times up on Autolog - you know I like my racing games lol).

Have not tried Contrast or the free to play games yet although have downloaded them.

Played Flower and it's lovely, a nice step up in graphics and the six axis controls are improved too.

I put a 1tb drive in the PS4 and it's an incredibly easy process so if you want to upgrade I'd say go for it.

The PS Camera works great although at the moment I'd hardly say its an essential purchase.

The P4C turtle beach headset is very comfortable and lets face it a lot more sturdy than the headset provided.

Anyway that's my general thoughts on the PS4 right now - overall view is I'm very impressed and happy with my purchase!

1D1PSm5.gif

Edited by Cookyman

Cookyman does the headset plug into the controller or do you use USB?

Also loving Resgun - currently top of the friends leaderboards on experienced (come get some bitches yolo swag etc..)

Cookyman does the headset plug into the controller or do you use USB?

It plugs into the controller £15 on gamestop.

Loving Killzone. Just tried the online and it a blast like you'd expect. I also think the campaign is pretty great. There's actually a decent narrative and the gameplay with the OWL, the optional objectives, the exploration, all awesome.

It's varied, too. The second level, the one in space, is creepy. Felt a bit like Dead Space.

The secondary function on the main gun is brutal and amazingly satisfying to use. I love that it's a mid to long range sniper rifle wich blows people - and anyone around them - off their feet.

Loving Killzone. Just tried the online and it a blast like you'd expect. I also think the campaign is pretty great. There's actually a decent narrative and the gameplay with the OWL, the optional objectives, the exploration, all awesome.

It's varied, too. The second level, the one in space, is creepy. Felt a bit like Dead Space.

The secondary function on the main gun is brutal and amazingly satisfying to use. I love that it's a mid to long range sniper rifle wich blows people - and anyone around them - off their feet.

Question is... does Ashley still suck at it?

No comment. :hehe:

Nah, he wasn't bad. I kind of threw him in at the deep end and between the OWL, the echo radar and getting use to how the game plays he did pretty well. Tactically all the options makes it pretty complicated.

As I said to Daft yesterday, with games like Killzone I do enjoy them as long as nobody expects me to be any good :heh: