NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

FIFA 18 confirmed to be ditching the Xbox-exclusive Legends in favour of a multi-platform Icons format, as well as having teamed up with PlayStation, more or less leaves Scorpio in a brutally awful position just ahead of E3.

Smart move by EA and Sony to confirm this before E3. If Scorpio doesn't have anything in the way of extremely refined exclusive AAA games (i.e. Haha joke's on you Scalebound is really dropping with the Scorpio) and any sign of marketing partnerships, Xbox could be left in a real ol' State Of Decay [2] heading into 2018.

I think the bigger issue for MS is the timing of going hardware focused at this stage when it more so about the games. 4 years after is abit late. Announcing it early then watching the specs weaken is stupid imo.

On the PC side with Ryzen CPU lowering prices that is where the tech oriented stuff will likely go for ports. If you care that much.

Should've been the trailer to close the conference on Tuesday...would've won them everything forever.

Should've been the trailer to close the conference on Tuesday...would've won them everything forever.

Think you might be overestimating Bubsy nostalgia

Think you might be overestimating Bubsy nostalgia

I wasn't being serious...

I wasn't being serious...

THERE WAS NO SMILEY INDICATING NON-SERIOUSNESS!

:p

Putting it here too since it's a good deal: 12 month PS Plus card for £27.85 from ShopTo.

Same deal in the PS Store, 30% off.

Same deal in the PS Store, 30% off.

It's £30 on the store, so it's still over £2 cheaper on ShopTo.

Good stuff!

Horizon is also on discount in many places! :grin:

Dang, a number of great offers on PS+ and on physical-selling sites.

Shame I spent quite a fair bit on college materials for the next academic year recently, or I'd be stockpiling a fair number of these titles for later play :/

I really hope some journalists question Sony about their stance on Cross Console Play.

I really hope some journalists question Sony about their stance on Cross Console Play.

They have already. Giant Bomb had a really good conversation with Adam Boyes after he left Sony and he explained why it isn't as easy as everyone thinks (I can't remember his reasons right now but I remember them making sense to me)

They have already. Giant Bomb had a really good conversation with Adam Boyes after he left Sony and he explained why it isn't as easy as everyone thinks (I can't remember his reasons right now but I remember them making sense to me)

Didn't know that.

To be honest, if basically every platform is available for Cross Play on Minecraft I can't think of a good reason why the PS4 isn't one of them.

The crossplatform and backwards-compatibility areas are where Microsoft probably has Sony beat. They need to do more here for the gamer. I definitely could benefit from this as there's a ton of games that I want to catch up on, but they're currently unavailable on the PS4.

I do like PSNow, but not every game is on there.

Interestingly the past quarters have been the fastest selling for any PS console.

DCKzl-aWsAQ8T7u.jpg:large

via neogaf

The crossplatform and backwards-compatibility areas are where Microsoft probably has Sony beat.

Which Crossplatform? You mean MS published/Windows store games? ;)

Interestingly the past quarters have been the fastest selling for any PS console.

Not surprising given the crazy line up that was in Q1 this year. 70 million by the end of the year seems very achievable.

Spiderman looks like it could be amazing fun!

Surprising most things are out next year...

What potentially great games are out this year on PS4? Need to build up my potential purchase list and see how devastating to my wallet it could be. Need to look into the VR reveals too, that could be the killer!

Spiderman looks like it could be amazing fun!

Surprising most things are out next year...

What potentially great games are out this year on PS4? Need to build up my potential purchase list and see how devastating to my wallet it could be. Need to look into the VR reveals too, that could be the killer!

For your gaming tastes? Probably very few. :D

For your gaming tastes? Probably very few. :D

Haha, well in some ways that's good I guess :D

I see LocoRoco 2 Remastered has been announced. Hopefully we will get a few more of these little announcements as the week goes on.

E3 hasn't even really begun and Sony are already planning their yearly Christmas special.

[TWEET]874430757544108034[/TWEET]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-sony-defends-decision-to-block-cross-play-with-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch

Minecraft works cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Today, Rocket League was announced as working cross-platform between Switch, Xbox and PC. Both don't work cross-platform with PlayStation. Now, is this Sony not playing ball? What is actually going on here?

Jim Ryan: It's certainly not a profound philosophical stance we have against this. We've done it in the past. We're always open to conversations with any developer or publisher who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately it's a commercial discussion between ourselves and other stakeholders, and I'm not going to get into the detail of that on this particular instance. And I can see your eyes rolling.

Well, you must see that PlayStation owners are upset. They want to play with Switch owners, PC owners and Xbox One owners for these two big and important games, and they don't have an explanation why. That's what I'm getting at, really.

Jim Ryan: Yeah. We've got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Minecraft - the demographic playing that, you know as well as I do, it's all ages but it's also very young. We have a contract with the people who go online with us, that we look after them and they are within the PlayStation curated universe. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.

It doesn't seem to be a problem for Nintendo, perhaps the most mindful video game company of the protection of children.

Jim Ryan: Yeah, that's true. Everybody has to take their own decisions. We'll do that. Like I say, we have no philosophical stance against cross-play at all.

Is this a done deal? Or are you leaving the door open, perhaps?

Jim Ryan: I don't think anything is ever a done deal. Anybody who is dogmatic in that manner is typically a fool. That said, to my knowledge, there is no live conversation ongoing at the moment.

So there you have it. If you're playing Minecraft or Rocket League or any other game on PS4, don't expect to play with Nintendo Switch or Xbox One owners.

Nintendo are bad for kids confirmed.