NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

I wonder if that first photo with the Fosters can in it could be used against ShopTo at all if someone received a damaged PS4 and wanted someone to blame.

Shitfaced on one can?

:p

Sure it's just one can now, but what about tomorrow? What about next week? Next year?.

One thing leads to another and the next thing you know ShopTo is employing meth addicts and crack whores.

I've seen enough Breaking Bad to know how this shit go's down.

Can't wait nowwwwwww.

Oh, hi N-Europe.

Hello stranger! :bouncy:

UK PS4 players to get a rubbish deal on game downloads

UK gamers will have to fork out as much as £26 more than their US counterparts for digital versions of games

In my review of the PlayStation 4 I noted that digital download versions of all the big games are the same price on the US PS Store as the discs are on Amazon.com. That price is $60, which today translates to £36.98.

Now those of us lucky enough to get PS4 hardware early have access to the UK version of the Store, and we've had a nasty shock. Every game on there is way more expensive than both the US download and Amazon.co.uk's disc price.

The full breakdown

•Killzone Shadow Fall - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store

•Call of Duty Ghosts - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £55 UK Store

•FIFA 14 - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store

•Battlefield 4 - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store

•Need for Speed Rivals - $60 on US Store - £45 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store

•Knack - $60 on US Store - £47 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store

•NBA 2K14 - $60 on US Store - £55 Amazon.co.uk - £63 UK Store

•Lego Marvel Super Heroes - $60 on US Store - £50 Amazon.co.uk - £53 UK Store

•Assassin's Creed IV - $60 on US Store - £48 Amazon.co.uk - £58 UK Store

Unfair on UK gamers

It's always seemed like utter madness that digital download editions of games should cost more than physical copies, and it seems completely bonkers and entirely unfair that this situation appears to have been sorted in the US while UK gamers appear to remain on course for a fleecing. We've contacted Sony for comment and will report back.

Lower download prices would be better for Sony, too

The big issue as far as I'm concerned isn't that we pay more than the States (although that clearly sucks) but that there's no parity in the UK between digital downloads and discs containing the exact same game, even though this has been sorted out in the US.

I've not yet seen a good reason for why a non-physical product that doesn't require packaging, storage or distribution should cost more than a physical copy that does.

What's more, it would surely be to Sony's benefit if more games were downloaded. Make digital games the same price or cheaper than discs, more people download, the second-hand market that apparently costs the industry so much money dies on its backside.

A cheeky workaround

In the meatime there is a bit of a workaround. It's possible to create a US PSN account with almost no effort, and while you can't use a UK credit card to pay for purchases on that account, you can buy PlayStation Network pre-paid cards from a number of online shops, many of which will instantly email you a redemption code. Most charge a small fee for the service, but we were able to get $60 of credit on our account for a total of £42.52 - a good deal less than the UK PS Store and Amazon.co.uk price. That $60 can then be used to buy a game on the US Store, and once downloaded it's playable by anyone using that console.

Still totally pumped for the PS4 but these digital prices are a complete rip off. I'm sure the prices will come down though as no-one in their right mind would buy games at that price!

5 days to go!

iN8zp6z6ZJXhX.gif

Sorry but had to post this as it's awesome Shuhei Yoshida and Joey (The guy who queued for the PS4 in the States launch event) do the Banderas gif.

iblgjgaemFj48G.gif

Edited by Cookyman

What the.......... Way over priced for digital games. Are Sony doing a Nintendo or something?

I'm going to get Flower, FIFA and either Killzone or Battlefield.

What do you's think?

What do you's think?

If you can't make your mind up, get them all.

What do you's think?

I would say, get Flower and Killzone but only get Battlefield if you really want it... as for Fifa, it'll be cheap if you pick it up later down the line.

BF4 multiplayer is surely where it's at for the PS4 lineup, possibly with KZ to follow when cheap. (& Resogun obviously)

It's pretty ridiculous that despite being pushed in the direction of digital libraries, the consumer doesn't see the saving, only convenience that should actually save money.

But as for the price comparison against the US, we've always known we get completely fucked in Europe. Luckily, the option to import games is technically open for the PS4, can't really say the same for Nintendo hardware however.

Guide: How to Output PS4 Audio Through Headphones

No expensive extras required

If you’re a late night gamer but don’t have access to a nifty headset, there’s a way to get the PlayStation 4 working with traditional iPod-esque headphones. All you need is a pair of headphones or buds with a 3.5mm jack, and you’re good to go.

1. Plug the Headphones In

Connect any pair of headphones with a 3.5mm adapter into the slot on the bottom of the DualShock 4.

2. Hold the PlayStation Button

This is the button located between the analogue sticks in the lower half of the DualShock 4. Hold this down until you’re taken to a new menu.

3. Select Adjust Devices

At the top of the menu, select the ‘Adjust Devices’ icon using the X button on the DualShock 4. You’ll be taken to a second menu.

4. Turn on All Audio Output

Scroll down to ‘Output to Headphones’ option using the d-pad and press the X button. Select the option ‘All Audio’ from the sub-menu and press the X button again. You can change the volume by pushing the d-pad left and right in the ‘Volume Control (Headphones)’ toggle located just above the ‘Output to Headphones’ option.

iyAks4gIEnnCS.gif

@Cookyman - I don't get the .gif .... surely the Wii U is easier than that? Or is Reggie being in it just random? Or are you harking way back to the GBA SP or something?

This is how it is already. Unfortunately its not a shock.

It makes me laugh really, if the future is digital then it costs more to download. It really should be matched, if not cheaper to download.

Guide: How to Output PS4 Audio Through Headphones

No expensive extras required

If you’re a late night gamer but don’t have access to a nifty headset, there’s a way to get the PlayStation 4 working with traditional iPod-esque headphones. All you need is a pair of headphones or buds with a 3.5mm jack, and you’re good to go.

1. Plug the Headphones In

Connect any pair of headphones with a 3.5mm adapter into the slot on the bottom of the DualShock 4.

2. Hold the PlayStation Button

This is the button located between the analogue sticks in the lower half of the DualShock 4. Hold this down until you’re taken to a new menu.

3. Select Adjust Devices

At the top of the menu, select the ‘Adjust Devices’ icon using the X button on the DualShock 4. You’ll be taken to a second menu.

4. Turn on All Audio Output

Scroll down to ‘Output to Headphones’ option using the d-pad and press the X button. Select the option ‘All Audio’ from the sub-menu and press the X button again. You can change the volume by pushing the d-pad left and right in the ‘Volume Control (Headphones)’ toggle located just above the ‘Output to Headphones’ option.

I can already do this on every console I own. It's pretty complicated, but I'm going to break it down:

1. Plug headphones into TV.

I can already do this on every console I own. It's pretty complicated, but I'm going to break it down:

1. Plug headphones into TV.

So? Theyve just made it easier for people who dont want to have to sit close to their TVs and use headphones.

Yeah the point of this is clearly to not have a wire running across the floor to the TV. Makes more sense to have it plug into the controller.

So I'm not allowed to make jokes here? ::shrug:

Maybe it's because I didn't use you guys' favourite delivery method:

Bald-Zach-Galifianakis-Tries-Holding-In-His-Crying-In-Sad-Movie.gif

Crying-Spongebob-Stares-At-Garys-Bowl-In-a-Dark-Pineapple.gif

Sad-Asian-Girl-Tears-Up-Reaction-Gif.gif

Lauren-Conrad-Crying-Wiping-Her-Tears-On-Laguna-Beach.gif

Dean-Winchester-Crying-Head-Shake-On-Supernatural.gif

A lot of games have headphone specific settings for audio which I only recently discovered. For example in Uncharted it's much easier to figure out what direction bullets are coming from with the setting switched on than without. Putting it at an OS level will make it much easier to switch to headphones without having to do it manually for each game.

Theoretically the audio should be cleaner too as you won't be passing sound via a TV inbuilt processing but I don't know much about this area.